Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

Lilofan

It has always been up to the "creatives" to sell their idea to the money. If they are successful the project flies, if they can't sell or it is a crap idea that won't tip the money hopper their way it goes to the hopper. More than just dreaming up a concept they have to sell the concept, play the politics listening to the room, get the green light and sheppard the project to completion fighting cuts all the way to open.
It's always been that way, the current crop seems to be short on the creative end and the money is not dictating what gets built but if there were truly superior concepts they would get green lighted. Rehashed, reused, mediocre concepts are what they decided to do so that is what we get. You still buying tickets to that?
Creative people I know of like to dabble into some activities I no longer go into. It helps them be "more creative". In Fantasia, the China dance scene with the dancing mushrooms can bring a smile from ear to ear!

Last edited:

Piebald

There are few things that have Universal praise nowadays. That said I do feel Beauty and the Beast that Tokyo has been very well received. I personally did not get to go on it as it was still under construction during my visit there.

But let's compare the Beast's castle they built at Tokyo Disney for the attraction compared to the Beast's castle they built at WDW's New Fantasyland restaurant.

No I have not experienced it personally it looks great from YouTube and I do know two people who have experienced it and they call it the best dark ride they've ever been on. I asked specifically if it was better than Pooh's hunny hunt cuz I have been on it with them, and they said absolutely yes
5r59he.jpg

EricsBiscuit

You could see this happening from a mile away. WDI got too bloated and content. Projects that should only take 1-2 years take 3-5. Blowing past budgets. Mediocre creative work. At some point you just have to blow the thing up and rebuild the pieces somewhere else. That’s what Disney is doing. It’s certainly a tough medicine but it needed to be done. And being close to UC should ignite a bit more of a spark of competition, which is good.

EPCOTCenterLover

You could see this happening from a mile away. WDI got too bloated and content. Projects that should only take 1-2 years take 3-5. Blowing past budgets. Mediocre creative work. At some point you just have to blow the thing up and rebuild the pieces somewhere else. That’s what Disney is doing. It’s certainly a tough medicine but it needed to be done. And being close to UC should ignite a bit more of a spark of competition, which is good.
We will see what happens. If Pixar Pier, Toy Story Land, "New" Epcot, and Avengers Campus are any examples of the new team's work, no thank you.

lazyboy97o

A lot of bloat was external. That isn’t going away. The lack of trust and fear that breeds indecision isn’t going away. The problems aren’t likely to be fixed and competition with Universal Creative is rather meaningless since they’re not competing for business.

EricsBiscuit

A lot of bloat was external. That isn’t going away. The lack of trust and fear that breeds indecision isn’t going away. The problems aren’t likely to be fixed and competition with Universal Creative is rather meaningless since they’re not competing for business.
I disagree, they are competing for business. I think it’s going to help that WDI will be so close to their most important asset (WDW). Also, proximity to management means better oversight. WDW and UOR compete because UOR is deciding to flip the metaphorical table with EU. They’re taking the next logical step to make UOR more than just a day or two at the end of 5 at Disney. When Disney catches wind of this (either before if they’re smart, unlikely, or after it is already hurting them, likely), and they will catch wind of it eventually, they will be forced to do something. Moreover, UC and WDI will compete for talent and will most likely contract to a lot of similar people meaning more competition for bidding. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

EricsBiscuit

We will see what happens. If Pixar Pier, Toy Story Land, "New" Epcot, and Avengers Campus are any examples of the new team's work, no thank you.
I think those masterpieces of storytelling are the fruits of the much hyped “institutional knowledge” of the last 15~ years. I consider this WDI’s 40 days in the wilderness. Maybe they will wake up and relearn how to work both efficiently and effectively after going downhill since 2006.

lazyboy97o

I disagree, they are competing for business. I think it’s going to help that WDI will be so close to their most important asset (WDW). Also, proximity to management means better oversight. WDW and UOR compete because UOR is deciding to flip the metaphorical table with EU. They’re taking the next logical step to make UOR more than just a day or two at the end of 5 at Disney. When Disney catches wind of this (either before if they’re smart, unlikely, or after it is already hurting them, likely), and they will catch wind of it eventually, they will be forced to do something. Moreover, UC and WDI will compete for talent and will most likely contract to a lot of similar people meaning more competition for bidding. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Projects at the Disneyland Resort have not been more efficient than projects at Walt Disney World. Projects handled by the field offices have not been more efficient. Just being physically closer to a dozen layers of bureaucracy isn’t going to make them magically go away.

Disney deciding to respond to Epic Universe won’t somehow make them more efficient.

Walt Disney Imagineering and Universal Creative already compete for talent and use the same vendors and contractors. None of that has brought down costs and in fact Universal’s costs have become more like Disney’s.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

This is a very strong case of wishful thinking.

Why do you assume that changing location will somehow turn things around?

Animaniac93-98

Sorry, they blew it.

It's neither a convincing castle or mountain. It looks like what it is, a miniature on top of a cave, and inside the cave is a ballroom. 😕

It was a nice idea, but I don't think they gave themselves enough space to pull it off.

This is all made worse by the fact that Cinderella's Royal Table is only a few hundred feet away. They did this idea better 40 years prior.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We did not get a huge castle, but we did get a mountain. I think it looks great. a little disingenuous don't you think.

View attachment 594812
IMO, there's nothing in that picture that isn't disappointing. A bad forced perspective. Walls along a bridge that keep you from seeing a pretty good river scene (but what good is a nice scene if no one sees it?). The utter baffling conceit that there's a door in a mountain supposedly a mile from the castle that has the castle immediately behind that door. All leading to a warehouse room that's too loud, for food that's too expensive, with an awful SFX of flickering candles in which large groups of them flicker in unison making them look extra fake. One and done for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom