Your EPCOT future world ideas

Goofy Ninja

What about Phineas and Ferb? I know IP is really not wanted but number one the show is superrr iconic and number 2 its the rare occasion of the IP fitting the park EXACTLY.

I think that IP’s are perfectly fine, if they fit. Like Wall-E for instance. Future✔️ Discovery✔️ Edutainment✔️ Robot✔️

I’m not sure if Phineas and Ferb fits. But I’ve never watched the show so I could be wrong. And if I am I’m sooooo sorry. 😭

Goofy Ninja

I’ve always thought it was a missed opportunity to have a Spaceship Earth store.

I lot of people would want even more Spaceship Earth merchandise like a t-shirt that says “If you're reading this idiot thank the Phoenicians.”

It makes sense to have a store with their overpriced merchandise. Rather than a bunch of lousy games that most of the time don’t work.

Every big attraction should have one connected to it’s backside. Heck even that little turd Figments got one.

MickeyMouse10

World of Motion narrated by George Lowe

I'm already using W.O.M with RetroCOT. So I can't use it for it's sister park.

I almost went with Horizons, but I resisted my urges. I felt like it went away too much from the 80's theming I was going with. I was cool with the robots, it was just some of the other aspects.

The Great Gonzo

The time keeper always freaked me out. But not as much as alec tronic.

I couldn’t find a good picture online for him, but he will remain in my mind and my nightmares forever.

Rambozo

If you think about it all the weenie WDW attractions don’t have dedicated shops. Which is weird. Especially because “Tough to be a Bug” and “Runaway Railway” seem like perfect ride/shop combos.

MickeyMouse10

The Peoplemovers were supposed to go in Epcot. It’s a shame it never did happen, we could have bragged to Disneyland fans and said “We got 2 and You still got 0”.

Snow Queen 83

Yeah, I saw a picture for the Peoplemover sign online.

Here it is in all it’s glory. It would have been a great addition, that is until Disney went crazy and decided to start knocking down buildings.

figment-fun-facts-2.jpg

comics101

I have a lot of thoughts regarding EPCOT and the direction that Disney is taking the park. While I won't spell all of them out right this minute, there are three major aspects of the park's update that bother me most.

1) Disney's lack of regard for sightlines. The new Guardians show building and the Harmonious infrastructure will stain the park's atmosphere for years to come, and it's such a shame. When EPCOT Center opened in 1982, the pavillions that housed attractions were designed to be seen from all angles throughout the park. They were wonderous and beautiful, and as I'm sure most of you know were meant to evoke the feeling of the World's Fairs of old. It's a shame that Disney was more interested in saving money than in continuing the tradition of the original EPCOT Center Imagineers when planning for the park's future.

2) The division of Future World into 3 "neighborhoods." Part of EPCOT's beauty was it's simplicity. While it's true that the original EPCOT Center Imagineers divided Future World by topic (Hard Sciences in FW East, and Soft Sciences in FW West), this division was subtle. It was implied by 1) the topics found on each side of the land and 2) the aesthetics that made up each side of the land. FW East was rigid--planters and walkways were angular and designed in straight lines. The walkways and planters of FW West, on the other hand, were curved and bordered by water features.

The new EPCOT "neighborhoods" feel artificial. While the subtle differences between East and West will remain, nothing is being added or changed to actually differentiate the "new" lands. Imagineering is simply drawing a line on a map and declaring to guests that each neighborhood exists. In other words, there is no reason for the change from FW to World Celebration, Discovery, and Nature other than to do away with the "Future World" name (and the "future" theming it implies) and to claim that the park is "new."

^^Given that fact, a much better solution would have been to rename Future World, "Discovery World." This would maintain the park's simplicity while simultaneously doing away with the expectation that guests will experience "the future" when visiting EPCOT.

3) The demolition of Innoventions West. I am perfectly willing to accept that Epcot was/is in dire need of an aesthetic makeover. I'm even willing to entertain the argument that the Communicore/Innoventions buildings looked dated and that the center of Epcot was in dire need of change. What I don't understand is why Imagineering settled on destroying the symmetry of the park. Demoloshing the entirety of Innoventions West while leaving Innoventions East largely unchanged baffles my mind.

If Imagineering truly believed that the old Communicore buildings served no purpose in the new EPCOT, they they should have either 1) demolished both Communicore West and Communicore East, or 2) kept the Northern sections of the Communicore buildings (closest to Spaceship Earth) and demolished the two Southern portions (formerly Fountainview, Club Cool, and MouseGears--now Creations Shop). By doing away with what I'll dub, "Innoventions South," EPCOT's symmetry and simplicity would have remained.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

I agree, Disney for some reason felt like they had to erase the original Epcot (park). When they could have blended in IP's more effectively. Cheapcheck doesn't care about the past, just making money and keeping his head looking shiny.

Another thing that I don't like is the uncreative Creation Shop. Why is Mickey all over that store? Isn't he in enough places in Disney World? If anything Figment should be all over the place.

itsy bitsy spider

The demoing of just one innoventions is the thing that chaps my rear. You would understand if they took down both and rebuilt them. But to knockdown one and leave the other one up??? It just doesn't make sense.

.... And for what.... Moana? Who belongs in Adventureland??? I've never used so many question marks.

comics101

I agree, Disney for some reason felt like they had to erase the original Epcot (park). When they could have blended in IP's more effectively. Cheapcheck doesn't care about the past, just making money and keeping his head looking shiny.

Another thing that I don't like is the uncreative Creation Shop. Why is Mickey all over that store? Isn't he in enough places in Disney World? If anything Figment should be all over the place.

The only thing I'd add is that this is a creative problem bigger than Chapek alone. Let's remember that Iger was CEO when the EPCOT overhaul was announced. I honestly wonder if the problem is that, when it comes to WDI, the best of the best have all left the company. @Eddie Sotto, Tony Baxter, Joe Rohde...These were legends who were often trained and mentored by Walt's original Imagineers. Rather than utilize their talent and past experience and allow incoming Imagineers to learn from them, Disney has instead chosen to push them out of the fold and replace them with Social Media influencers and Social Justice warriors. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm all for diversity and inclusion, but there is absolutely nothing in Carmen Smith's background to suggest that she has any business making creative decisions for theme parks. And Zach Riddley? Oi! Does anyone here honestly believe that Instafluencer Zach Riddley has taken the time to gain insight from the greats that came before him? Seems to me he's far too busy building a social media following and advancing his career.

The demoing of just one innoventions is the thing that chaps my rear. You would understand if they took down both and rebuilt them. But to knockdown one and leave the other one up??? It just doesn't make sense.

.... And for what.... Moana? Who belongs in Adventureland??? I've never used so many question marks.

Part of me wonders if it's an ego thing. If the suits or creatives behind recent EPCOT decisions are determined to leave their mark on the park, and tearing down Innoventions West was a part of that. Could it be an ego thing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom