News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

wtyy21

The final arrangement (not post-show, but the show finale) isn’t pop-like at all. Very orchestral. It was absolutely what I want from a traditional Disney nighttime spectacular.

Also, if that’s your sentiment about HEA, it might pain you to hear Mickey’s Mix Magic at DL has completely grown on me this year. The cringiest parts are whenever Mickey incessantly chimes in, but the mix itself is actually great. Also, even the showrunners of MMM were clever enough to give it a throughline.

I find MMM increasingly hard to dislike (can’t believe I’m saying that!), whereas I’m struggling to identify which parts of Harmonious will create that stickiness.
MMM also utilizing Main Street projections, so i would like to see how similar technology will implemented for new MK "Disney Enchantment" firework show tomorrow on 30th.

ifan

Someone wrote this comment on the official YouTube stream and it really resonates with me. Missing those "chills" moments and emotional connection:

"Honest Opinion: The tech was on point! Vocals from the artists were on point! The overall story was lacking.

Let's break it down - Disney Parks has a formula for shows like this: Usually, it starts with a narrator, then opens with a new original song (which we didn't get), followed by several songs in updated (pop or gospel) versions (like we got in this show), and usually ends with a grand finale version of the original song (again we didn't get this), along with a final point or note from the narrator.

This was just artists putting their spin or flavor on the movie soundtracks and ends with a person speaking with no music or feeling at the end. This show was missing a grand entrance (usually accompanied with _the chills_), then no story or narration, and no dramatic grand finale finish (_also with the "Disney Chills"_). This show ends on a quiet note with no send-off.

Final note - The artist did a fantastic job. The musicians did a fantastic job. The grandeur is there, but grandeur doesn't mean anything without a story to guide the audience along. There is no beginning, middle, or end and without a storyline, this was just a Disney shuffle playlist. Should have just called this CD "Now that's what I call Disney Music 50" 🤦‍♂️🤦🤷‍♂️🤷"

CaptainAmerica

The final arrangement (not post-show, but the show finale) isn’t pop-like at all. Very orchestral. It was absolutely what I want from a traditional Disney nighttime spectacular.

Also, if that’s your sentiment about HEA, it might pain you to hear Mickey’s Mix Magic at DL has completely grown on me this year. The cringiest parts are whenever Mickey incessantly chimes in, but the mix itself is actually great. Also, even the showrunners of MMM were clever enough to give it a throughline.

I find MMM increasingly hard to dislike (can’t believe I’m saying that!), whereas I’m struggling to identify which parts of Harmonious will create that stickiness.
Boy do I loathe MMM. I'm shocked that the DL people tolerate it.

Disone

Hard disagree on my part. The soundtrack was way too poppy. Castle parks should be choirs and orchestras, not a pop duet.
HEA was/is and full Orchestra and a choir. It is a pop duet during the exit music. And yes "pop duet" did lead the choir in the shows finale but I loved how it all worked. The show started with a song called happily ever after and then ended with a full choir and Orchestra of that song. It booked ended everything in between very nicely.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
HEA was/is and full Orchestra and a choir. It is a pop duet during the exit music. And yes "pop duet" did lead the choir in the shows finale but I loved how it all worked. The show started with a song called happily ever after and then ended with a full choir and Orchestra of that song. It booked ended everything in between very nicely.
At least with HEA it had a theme that stuck with you. This is an just a mashup of IP soundtracks.

ifan

Youtube Roasts are entertaining:

"There was a really good fireworks show tonight at Walt Disney World that used songs from Hercules, Hunchback, and Princess and the Frog. There was also Harmonious."

"I now understand why they got rid of Happily Ever After. The songs from that show just went to EPCOT."

DonaldDoleWhip

MMM also utilizing Main Street projections, so i would like to see how similar technology will implemented for new MK "Disney Enchantment" firework show tomorrow on 30th.
Honestly, my inner curmudgeon wants to hate MMM (the “are you ready to da-a-a-a-ance?” at the start is laughable), then the actual mix starts and I can’t help but love it. Grim Grinning Ghosts into Un Poco Loco into Let It Go is just fantastic, and by the end I’m genuinely having a great time. The visuals also nail it, and I’ve never even seen the Main Street projections.

It’s not Wishes, HEA, RoE, or Remember, but it’s high-energy, positive fun and totally delivers on it.

Meanwhile, Harmonious is a clip show? “Segmented Team PowerPoint” really is too fitting of a description.

FigmentForever96

They spent a fortune on this. If the public responds like they did to RoL, we won’t ever get another nighttime show dime from Chapek. Bah.
What better than to spin and say that people didn’t want to waste time with watching nighttime shows. They wanted to ride their favorite classic Disney attractions! So going forward we’re giving guests MORE time to enjoy the rides they love with no nighttime shows

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
That was pretty bad.
Didn't care for the songs at all.
And there were not enough fireworks for me.
We will watch it in November but its likely a one and done.
Good thing is we don't have to wait around at EPCOT anymore if we are done before fireworks time.
Wish they left IllumiNations Reflections of Earth alone. Its still relevant. This is going to end up being short lived.

Last edited:

ifan

No. That was not what this was at all.

If you don't like it, fine. But this was absolutely not a cost savings exercise. They spent a fortune on this.
Yea - the issues I have with this show at first glance are NOT budget related. They are creative decisions.

It's sort of like a new era Star Wars Movie. You can tell a lot of talented people are involved and there was a lot of money spent but someone else should have been writing the script. The big budget is obvious, but it's shouting trying to cover up for the fundamental issues.

If you were in a creative class and your instructions were:
1) Lots of IP and existing Disney songs
2) Diversity/Inclusion/Languages "world showcase"
3) New/Cool technology to "wow"
4) 360 degree view

I think most creative directors could come up with a better structure/story with this budget and those directives. Something to motivate the 10 year old in the audience to want to do something big with their life. The instrumentals in illuminations made 10 year old me want to go out and change the world. This just makes me feel like "meh."

DonaldDoleWhip

Boy do I loathe MMM. I'm shocked that the DL people tolerate it.
I get why you feel that way, I really do.

But for many of the locals in their 20s and 30s who’ve had a garbage year (including when DL was closed, of course), the show’s sheer positivity and energy somehow feel right.

Maybe it’s also because I like to dance (while disliking how obnoxious the bar/night club scene often is), but the actual mix of MMM is great. The show’s aiming lower than something like HEA (and starts off with its cringiest moment) then exceeds expectations from there.

Let’s see if Harmonious ends up resonating with WDW’s base, but I can say I’m genuinely surprised by how MMM seems to land with many—including me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom