Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I suppose one step for government would be to shift government subsidies toward healthier crops?
Yes, there are lots of things we can try as a country to try to make people healthier. One very basic one is making it easier for every citizen to have access to regular and affordable (or free) medical care including wellness checks. Better access to healthy food options is also needed as well as education. None of that will guarantee that the national obesity level drops to a very low number. Obesity isn’t the only thing that makes you higher risk for severe covid. Asthma for example was also on the list. There is much that can be done to make the air cleaner that would greatly help there if there’s an appetite for real change. It’s not easy to get anything actually accomplished on a lot of these issues. Many people who oppose covid mitigations or vaccine requirements are also opposed to programs like providing healthy lunches to kids at school or making healthcare more readily available. Their answer will be that we shouldn’t do anything and people should just have the will to change on their own.

Communicora

Premium Member
Yes, there are lots of things we can try as a country to try to make people healthier. One very basic one is making it easier for every citizen to have access to regular and affordable (or free) medical care including wellness checks. Better access to healthy food options is also needed as well as education. None of that will guarantee that the national obesity level drops to a very low number. Obesity isn’t the only thing that makes you higher risk for severe covid. Asthma for example was also on the list. There is much that can be done to make the air cleaner that would greatly help there if there’s an appetite for real change. It’s not easy to get anything actually accomplished on a lot of these issues. Many people who oppose covid mitigations or vaccine requirements are also opposed to programs like providing healthy lunches to kids at school or making healthcare more readily available. Their answer will be that we shouldn’t do anything and people should just have the will to change on their own.
Yes, and we could fund more research into the causes of obesity.

LittleBuford

I simply noted that I found it very odd that people in the US adopted the same style of beard that was essentially part of the uniform of the people we were fighting a war against at the time.
I find it odd that you would make such a link in the first place. Long beards are not the preserve of the Taliban.

Roy G. Dis

Obesity is a complex psychosocial issue that requires years of intensive effort to overcome. Getting a vaccine requires 2 15 min visits. Let’s all stop indulging the idea that fixing obesity will cure us of Covid over vaccinating more people please.
Yesterday was the best time to get a jump on obesity. Or five or ten years ago. Today's the next best. It's not the cure for covid but it sure won't hurt to inform people how they're hurting themselves.

The resistance to any mere mention of this is as bizarre to me as those who resist the covid vaccine.

Touchdown

Yesterday was the best time to get a jump on obesity. Or five or ten years ago. Today's the next best. It's not the cure for covid but it sure won't hurt to inform people how they're hurting themselves.

The resistance to any mere mention of this is as bizarre to me as those who resist the covid vaccine.
Climate change is probably contributing to Covid too, but talking about it seems awfully tangential.

Heelz2315

The 14-day rolling positivity rate for Orange County via Mayor Demings is 9.31%.

Demings also announces that the Pfizer booster will be available at Camping World Stadium starting tomorrow.

Here is the current vaccination status for Orange County -

View attachment 589502

that would technically remove orange Co from the “high” category as defined by the CDC. “Masks work indoors where the virus spread is high”

how low does Disney let it get before “recommending” indoor masks rather than mandating them

lazyboy97o

Climate change is probably contributing to Covid too, but talking about it seems awfully tangential.
“Going Green” is probably one of the biggest ways we could get people to be healthier and be better prepared for another respiratory pandemic. More natural ventilation. Density with open space to create more walkable communities. Less pollution contributing to things like asthma.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, and we could fund more research into the causes of obesity.

Nah, no need for research. It’s much easier to just call fat people lazy and blame them for Covid.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

It’s not a resistance to any mere mention of obesity as a problem. There’s a resistance to the narrative that covid is only an issue for the obese so we should focus on having them lose weight instead of focusing on actually stopping the spread of covid. I’m not saying that’s what you are saying, but others have made their opinion very clear. The young and healthy shouldn't be burdened by changing their lives in any way (including getting a vaccine that takes about 15 mins).

ArmoredRodent

@Touchdown "FTFY. Other then the Burnside you can’t have facial hair and wear an N95z."
That may depend on the N95. I have a moustache and I achieve an excellent fit with an American-made "duckbill" N95. The large, sideways "pouch" makes it 75% more breathable than the NIOSH-certified minimum requirement for non-medical N95s, and the unique strap-mounting system easily avoids the usual moustache mask issues. Of course, it does look ... "distinctive," understandable, since it was designed for industrial uses.

For my upcoming WDW trip, I was thinking of ways I could color the mask to make it look like Donald Duck:
Donald Duck Reaction GIF

Maybe not.

Chip Chipperson

It's not the mere mention of it that elicits such a response. It's the fact that a certain poster has continually banged that drum since last year and seems to act as if it justifies eliminating any steps to mitigate the spread and ignores the fact that millions of Americans have health issues that put them at risk for a severe case of COVID-19 that are not related to their weight.

lewisc

Obesity is a major health issue. A former NYC mayor wanted to have a sugar tax on some "fun food". There was resistance. I don't think it's the answer but it's one idea.

The resistance is mentioning it as a potential cure for covid. Mentioning it as a way to blame people infected. As a way to imply people who are healthy and take care of themselves don't need to worry about Covid.

Mentioning obesity serves as a distraction from measures that have an immediate impact.

Incomudro

A cultural shift away from praising the obese for their "body positivity" would be a start.
And pretending that people are massive because they live in food deserts, rather than because they eat too much dessert.
I swear, we are living in the movie Idiocracy.
What's up is down, and we're all encouraged to believe the the Emperor is actually wearing new clothes.

Incomudro

It's not the mere mention of it that elicits such a response. It's the fact that a certain poster has continually banged that drum since last year and seems to act as if it justifies eliminating any steps to mitigate the spread and ignores the fact that millions of Americans have health issues that put them at risk for a severe case of COVID-19 that are not related to their weight.
Right, and you don't want to hear from this certain poster.
You prefer your self congratulatory back slapping.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Obesity is a major health issue. A former NYC mayor wanted to have a sugar tax on some "fun food". There was resistance. I don't think it's the answer but it's one idea.

The resistance is mentioning it as a potential cure for covid. Mentioning it as a way to blame people infected. As a way to imply people who are healthy and take care of themselves don't need to worry about Covid.

Mentioning obesity serves as a distraction from measures that have an immediate impact.
Philadelphia did pass a sugar tax for drinks. It’s why my parents stop and buy beverages near my house when they visit because I live outside the city. It’s not real popular and I’m not sure it helps much. What has been much more successful has been a move away from sugary beverages available at schools. When I was in school there was a soda machine with regular stuff. That’s not the case anymore in a lot of places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom