Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Irrrelvent?
How much weight could the average person have lost in the past year and a half? (they gained weight instead)
How about the children we love to carry on anbout?
How about not making them fat, and instead using this as a teaching how to live a health lifestyle so they will be better equipped to handle something like this in the future?
Additionally, it appears as though we are going to be living with this virus for quite some time - so we will have time to make these changes.
Again, you are taking about going back in time and having people lose weight for the past year and a half. Unless you have a time machine that’s not happening. I‘m glad to see you are so concerned about the health of your neighbors. Too bad more people who are refusing a safe and effective vaccine don’t have that same concern.

I am not opposed to seeing people get more healthy and if that’s a side effect of this pandemic then maybe a silver lining to come out of this mess, but I just don’t see that as a viable plan to address the current situation. We should continue to wear masks, limit exposure and get everyone vaccinated and also address longer term health issues. Just addressing the weight issue isn’t a real plan.

Incomudro

Again, you are taking about going back in time and having people lose weight for the past year and a half. Unless you have a time machine that’s not happening. I‘m glad to see you are so concerned about the health of your neighbors. Too bad more people who are refusing a safe and effective vaccine don’t have that same concern.

I am not opposed to seeing people get more healthy and if that’s a side effect of this pandemic then maybe a silver lining to come out of this mess, but I just don’t see that as a viable plan to address the current situation. We should continue to wear masks, limit exposure and get everyone vaccinated and also address longer term health issues. Just addressing the weight issue isn’t a real plan.
There's a whole future ahead of us, isn't there?

lewisc

That is fine to do, but does that really address the issues we are having today with covid? Will Disney and other companies disclosing their nutritional information help to end this pandemic? I don’t have any problem with any efforts made to help people to be more healthy but when discussing it in a covid thread as a solution to the current problem it seems like it’s just a deflection away from actual plans to address the actual current issue.
You asked what the government could do to help reduce obesity your "suggestions" included banning high calorie foods and mandating exercise. I offered a more reasonable starting point. I'll sometimes change my restaurant ordering after observing caloric differences. Disney is using a loophole.

The solution to Covid is more obvious. Vaccination. Mask use. Testing. It's not rocket science. I'll steal a point from CNN, not sure which commentator. When the advice to stop smoking is given the advice never ends with but it's a personal choice. Vaccine and mask advice should simply be get vaccinated and use a mask. No reason to end with, but it's a personal choice.

I can't find any organized religion which has an absolute issue with the Covid Vaccine. Even Christian Science is not against it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There's a whole future ahead of us, isn't there?
Addressing covid today by continuing with mitigations and doubling down on efforts to get everyone vaccinated will help to make that future possible for as many people as possible. A large number of Covid deaths since April when vaccines became available to everyone were preventable if everyone eligible got the vaccine. Instead people choose to resist for whatever reason and an additional 150,000 people have no future ahead of them now. And no, not all of them were obese.

correcaminos

From anecdotal examples, this seems to have changed with Delta. With prior variants, it seemed that almost every younger person who died from COVID was either morbidly obese or had significant comorbidities. Recently, there are some who don't fit that profile. It's still the overwhelming majority but it seems Delta can cause more severe illness in mostly healthy, relatively fit people.
Yeah no, it wasn't just Delta. I'm seriously tired of hearing it too. Honestly do you have a clue how callous this reads to people who have lost healthy loved ones prior to Delta? Glad you see that this is affecting more now, but it always has gotten outliers.

correcaminos

Depends on when the booster gets approved. Their new trial of 2 doses was about on par woth the mRNA vaccines for infection and hospitalization. The bigger question is when/if they add the boosters to the mandates. I assume it happens but the timing is unknown and considerimg they are recommending the booster 6+months after the original doses that means someone getting vaccinated today isn’t fully covered until March.
Boosters won't ever be added to mandates if they don't see a need for all IMO

DisneyCane

Yeah no, it wasn't just Delta. I'm seriously tired of hearing it too. Honestly do you have a clue how callous this reads to people who have lost healthy loved ones prior to Delta? Glad you see that this is affecting more now, but it always has gotten outliers.
OK. I'll say it another way. Since Delta became dominant there are anecdotally a lot more outliers. I've said plenty of things in this thread that can be interpreted as callous, this wasn't one of them.

correcaminos

OK. I'll say it another way. Since Delta became dominant there are anecdotally a lot more outliers. I've said plenty of things in this thread that can be interpreted as callous, this wasn't one of them.
I'll liken it to real world with many things. You are hearing more because thanks to vaccines the young and healthy are the ones getting hit harder since they are unvaxxed. Delta just causes the spread faster hence more people.

As someone who has lost loved ones who I never expected to die based on age and health, it was callous to me. So let's not be all dismissive of feelings. Thanks.

TrainsOfDisney

Like Australia and New Zealand who keep locking down? No thank you. If WDW was in either of those countries it would still be closed.
It just depends on your priorities I suppose.
I wonder what percentage who are forced to get vaccinated will opt for J&J. Anecdotal but it seems to be far less effective vs. Delta in preventing hospitalizations than the mRNA vaccines.
Source?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Boosters won't ever be added to mandates if they don't see a need for all IMO
Yes, I agree they won’t be added short term, but eventually if everyone is recommended to get one I would assume they are required to have a booster to have a complete series. Maybe if community spread is crushed by that time we never have to update requirements, but a lot of others seem to feel covid will be here forever so in that case we will eventually see the boosters added.

correcaminos

Yes, I agree they won’t be added short term, but eventually if everyone is recommended to get one I would assume they are required to have a booster to have a complete series. Maybe if community spread is crushed by that time we never have to update requirements, but a lot of others seem to feel covid will be here forever so in that case we will eventually see the boosters added.
That's kind of my point. I am not convinced all will need them. I'd be shocked if sub 18 do or even young adults. Unlike you i am not assuming it is coming. Not just because of spread but because of data we have.

People who love to claim covid is forever also tend to push to remove mandates. I have read more than one medical article saying it is possible to eliminate in most places. Once that happens vaccine efficacy doesn't have to be super high.

DisneyCane

I'll liken it to real world with many things. You are hearing more because thanks to vaccines the young and healthy are the ones getting hit harder since they are unvaxxed. Delta just causes the spread faster hence more people.

As someone who has lost loved ones who I never expected to die based on age and health, it was callous to me. So let's not be all dismissive of feelings. Thanks.
Sorry for your losses. It wasn't meant to be callous in any way.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The 14-day rolling positivity rate for Orange County via Mayor Demings is 9.31%.

Demings also announces that the Pfizer booster will be available at Camping World Stadium starting tomorrow.

Here is the current vaccination status for Orange County -

FATQfVlVIAsw12Y.jpg

ABQ

The 14-day rolling positivity rate for Orange County via Mayor Demings is 9.31%.

Demings also announces that the Pfizer booster will be available at Camping World Stadium starting tomorrow.

Here is the current vaccination status for Orange County -

View attachment 589502
Is that a 2% drop in 7 days? I was trying to search back through the thread but was trouble finding the one from a week ago.

Bob Harlem

Is that a 2% drop in 7 days? I was trying to search back through the thread but was trouble finding the one from a week ago.
Aug 19: 20%
Aug 31: 17.27%
sep 9: 14.3%
sep 13: 13.3%
sep 20: 11.2% -2.1% from prior week
sep 27: 9.31% -1.89% from prior week

Yeah it's more or less 2% drop a week since the beginning of September. The above is the 14 day average rate, daily rate is closer to 8.6% right now and falling. Hospitalization numbers are about 1/3 of what they were at the peak last month too.

Last edited:

tpoly88

Aug 19: 20%
Aug 31: 17.27%
sep 9: 14.3%
sep 13: 13.3%
sep 20: 11.2% -2.1% from prior week
sep 27: 9.31% -1.89% from prior week

Yeah it's more or less 2% drop a week since the beginning of September.
according to the Tampa times its lower than that in the state at 8.6%. lowest since early july at 8000 cases a day. Looking at the Vaccine numbers one thing they do not add into the mix is how many people got the virus. They have as high or higher antibodies than if you got the shot. I got both, got the JNJ shot and got covid in July. As a result of the shot (id like to think so) mine and my wife symptoms were not bad and were done with this in 3 days. if you take into account the people that had covid, the rate of people protected is much higher than 70%. The governor weighed in on this a few days ago.

SteveAZee

How are we ignoring it? What would you like the government to do? Ban all high calorie foods? Mandate exercise? Set a calorie intake limit? Maybe provide pre-selected food for all citizens? How would we go about making everyone healthy enough to survive covid? It doesn’t seem like something that can be easily done. What we can do right now is provide everyone with a free and safe vaccine.
I suppose one step for government would be to shift government subsidies toward healthier crops?

Kevin_W

I said it was anecdotal but it is based on people working at hospitals in FL who have been keeping their own informal tallies.

It's more than anecdotal. Here is one source from J&J in their data about a booster. They show J&J as "71% effective against hospitalization and 95% effective against death due to the delta variant" in an August study. the mRNA are still showing as 80-90% against hospitalization vs Delta, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom