Yeti Update

ppete1975

I don't think that for the cost they think its worth it. Sure for us we want it fixed because we know what it was. But for your 95 percentile, they don't know it doesn't work. Its one of the few rides at animal kingdom worth reriding again and again. Pre avatar.. I have no idea on it.

Bairstow

The one way I could see this thing getting fixed is if in a few years down the line, Disney adds multiple new effects to the ride, and perhaps a second yeti figure in a different position. That way, rather than just admitting it was broken and that they fixed it, Disney can spin the repair work as the "new" Expedition Everest and use it to drive an ad campaign, like they did with the re-programmed Tower of Terror back in the late '90s.

8dbeabbe2a631b416fd968b2c5736cad.jpg

discos

So even if parts of the mountain don't need to be dismantled wouldn't the ride still need to be closed down for periods of time either way for them to remove the Yeti, pour new foundation/fix the structural issues, then re-instal and test the animatronic?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So even if parts of the mountain don't need to be dismantled wouldn't the ride still need to be closed down for periods of time either way for them to remove the Yeti, pour new foundation/fix the structural issues, then re-instal and test the animatronic?
The short answer...no.

The long answer....If what we now know to be the problem is correct (what is broken on the yeti), the problem only involves the animatronic figure itself and not his support structure.

It has been reported that the yet has been completely removed and reinstalled without a ride shut down as many as 2 times in the past.

Even if the ride were to be shut down to just replace the Yeti, it could done is just a few days. Not the weeks/month/years timeframes that often get thrown around.

ppete1975

Even if the ride were to be shut down to just replace the Yeti, it could done is just a few days. Not the weeks/month/years timeframes that often get thrown around.
At the speed they fix/build it would be down till 2021... it should be able to be done in a few days :)

EricsBiscuit

I went on EE like 2 weeks ago and yes they are now lighting the Yeti the whole scene and there aren't strobes. On one paw, you can see the amazing figure. On the other paw it's easier to tell he doesn't move. I like the change.

Maeryk

If it was rebuilt to spec.. probably not long. If they add or change anything.. expect test and verification time. Including new catwalks or whatever to comply with osha tie off requirements.

jmuboy

If they can stabilize the yeti so just his arm swings at passing trains and not his body it would still be impressive! It has to be done in a way the machine that is the AA yeti doesn't destroy itself.

Maeryk

If they can stabilize the yeti so just his arm swings at passing trains and not his body it would still be impressive! It has to be done in a way the machine that is the AA yeti doesn't destroy itself.

It wouldn't be the first time engineering didn't survive contact with reality.

Jeremy P

I hate to bump a topic but the site that mustn't be named has posted video of the bird animatronic making it's return (?) to the top of the mountain. I guess I've either never ridden while this effect was working or been oblivious to it. I don't really see a point in it especially since it almost looks like it's flying backwards when you get to the top and then emerges again as you go backwards

Cmdr_Crimson

I hate to bump a topic but the site that mustn't be named has posted video of the bird animatronic making it's return (?) to the top of the mountain. I guess I've either never ridden while this effect was working or been oblivious to it. I don't really see a point in it especially since it almost looks like it's flying backwards when you get to the top and then emerges again as you go backwards

It's supposed to look like it's gliding in the updraft of the "High Winds" on the mountaintop..You get a much better view of it hovering the further you are in the train...
bird-500x342.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom