Yeti Update

Jpm_21

Original Poster
Hey guys this is my first post, i just got back from my visit to wdw and had something pretty important to share. While at the parks i found out something about the Yeti that i know many people have been wondering about. I have an uncle who is a cast member and this week i was talking to him about how the Yeti is still broken and all they did was use the strobe light effect on it. He said that it is not actually broken and that they only run it during the busiest times of the year. When the park is not busy, they do not want to keep it running and consider the strobe light effect to be good enough. So after all, the yeti is not broken.

Devin36

with respect, if it indeed was only turned on during busy times, threads on here would be blowing up about it....it has been down for years at this point...many sites do weekly updates & no one has ever confirmed this...

Jpm_21

Original Poster
ok, that was just what i heard and i was sharing it to see if anyone else had any news relating to this topic. And he is an executive in the IT department, he's been there for about ten years.

muse1983

I guess this does kind of bring up a good question if what his "uncle" said was true (which I really don't have any faith that it's 100% accurate), is the yeti actually broken or do they simply choose to not run it in "A" mode due to the base cracking?

"NotNothin" what's wrong with his Uncle being in the IT department? You can make a decent living in the IT field and I really don't feel it would be anything to be "sad" about.

tikiman

My friend works in Imagineering and he agrees that nothing is broken on the Yeti. The problem is the structure and they cannot run it without creating damage to the structure so they stopped running it. I am told there is no plans to fix it so it can be run.

notnothin

I guess this does kind of bring up a good question if what his "uncle" said was true (which I really don't have any faith that it's 100% accurate), is the yeti actually broken or do they simply choose to not run it in "A" mode due to the base cracking?

"NotNothin" what's wrong with his Uncle being in the IT department? You can make a decent living in the IT field and I really don't feel it would be anything to be "sad" about.

Note the bold portion. The "sad" part is that he has worked for the company for 10 years yet he doesn't seem to know very much about the company product. Nothing against IT at all, I've been doing it for 20+ myself.

TurkA77

My friend works in Imagineering and he agrees that nothing is broken on the Yeti. The problem is the structure and they cannot run it without creating damage to the structure so they stopped running it. I am told there is no plans to fix it so it can be run.

Can you clarify what you mean by structure?

G00fyDad

Can you clarify what you mean by structure?

The device the Yeti is attached to. It is sort of a sled device and it has stress fractures. Consider it a keyboard drawer attached to your desk, it slides out to present your keyboard when needed. But in this case it holds a several ton Yeti and he may not just slide out but rather end up in your lap. :)

TurkA77

The device the Yeti is attached to. It is sort of a sled device and it has stress fractures. Consider it a keyboard drawer attached to your desk, it slides out to present your keyboard when needed. But in this case it holds a several ton Yeti and he may not just slide out but rather end up in your lap. :)

Yikes, thats scary. I only rode once about 2 years ago and it sucks I have never seen it, but Id rather not get killed while riding.

Tom Morrow

Note the bold portion. The "sad" part is that he has worked for the company for 10 years yet he doesn't seem to know very much about the company product. Nothing against IT at all, I've been doing it for 20+ myself.
To be fair, not everyone working at WDW keeps tabs on details like this, in fact, probably the large majority of the 60,000 employees do not.

Its easy for an incorrect fact like this to get thrown around and make its way down the line and become "true".

menamechris

To be fair, not everyone working at WDW keeps tabs on details like this, in fact, probably the large majority of the 60,000 employees do not.

Its easy for an incorrect fact like this to get thrown around and make its way down the line and become "true".

The problem being that when many cast members don't have an answer, they make something up. A sort of "get the guest to shut up" technique. But this isn't new. There have been urban legends/false accounts about Disney since the very beginning...

sweetpee_1993

Hey guys this is my first post, i just got back from my visit to wdw and had something pretty important to share. While at the parks i found out something about the Yeti that i know many people have been wondering about. I have an uncle who is a cast member and this week i was talking to him about how the Yeti is still broken and all they did was use the strobe light effect on it. He said that it is not actually broken and that they only run it during the busiest times of the year. When the park is not busy, they do not want to keep it running and consider the strobe light effect to be good enough. So after all, the yeti is not broken.

Thanks for offering up what you were told. I appreciate your willingness to come share in the spirit of keeping the info flowing. Interesting to hear what an IT person has heard...

Oooooh....interesting. That does make a "fix" tough but not impossible. It only takes commitment to do what it takes. Unfortunately, like you said, no plans to stay commited to the awesomeness that's right there in front of us as we whiz by. :(

Maybe they only switch him on when the executives ride.

I need a list of said execs so I can write letters to them asking for a heads-up for when they'll be going to AK and/or riding EE. I want to ride on the same train as them! :D

Ouch. That could be bad. :lookaroun

Yikes, thats scary. I only rode once about 2 years ago and it sucks I have never seen it, but Id rather not get killed while riding.

The ultimate thrill....and what a way to go, huh? Crushed by a Yeti!!!!! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom