Yeti Update

Tom Morrow

Last trip, my friends were on a Test Track vehicle that had no audio. They were given the option of riding again as a result. That's the type of show difference that's happening without the Yeti. Admittedly it's not throughout the entire ride but it's still significant.
Its nowhere near as significant - a Test Track ride through without onboard audio makes you miss nearly every sound effect and almost all of the narration and descriptions of what tests your car is performing. Sure - veterans like us don't need that audio... but what about a first timer? Or someone who just waited 90 minutes?

Way more significant than 3 seconds of movement. The story of Expedition: Everest is not lost if the Yeti isn't moving. He's still there, you still see him... the finale is significantly dumbed down... but the story isn't ruined.

I'm not making excuses for TDO in any way for not fixing him, but I do feel that people significantly overhype how much effect the Yeti's three seconds of movement has on your enjoyment of the ride.

WDW1974

In today's latest TMZ Disco Yeti update, I believe they are reporting that DY was spotted with new skankpal A. Kardashian on Oahu at (surprisingly) the JW Marriott.

Ijones88

Bad show yeti!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if all their billboards are still up on I-4 about how awesome EE is with the yeti (notice...emphasis on NOT capitalizing the Y in yeti, since disney doesnt think too much about it....(notice...no capitalization on the d in disney...since that is the way their fans are beginning to think about them...). But maybe we all need to amend their EE billboards with something like.....Sorry, Yeti is presently in Foxtrot Uniform mode and you as tourists, where ever you came from just need to deal with it. We as superior humans at Tango Delta Oscar need to insure Walt's dreams are laughed at...(please don't forget our BONUSES and golden toilet plungers!!)

ctxak98

OK so people say that the yeti doesnt have much of an impact on people or on yourself even if it is moving? I find this hard to believe because I remember wanting to only ride this rollercoaster because of the yeti. ANIMAL KINGDOM is about animals, even if they are legendary. Without the actual YETI i find this ride more of a fit for magic kingdom....Because all it shows is the shadow and some noises from a distance. seriously in dicomode you can hardly even see him. It adds so much to ride when he was working. To me personally It completes the story. The journey takes you through artifacts of the yeti and people encountering it and then you go into the mountain and live to say that you saw the yeti. without it its just a "well we didnt find it this time....but we saw its shadow?" idk Its poor management to me. it should be fixed. no questions asked!:shrug:

Tom Morrow

I don't know if all their billboards are still up on I-4 about how awesome EE is with the yeti (notice...emphasis on NOT capitalizing the Y in yeti, since disney doesnt think too much about it....(notice...no capitalization on the d in disney...since that is the way their fans are beginning to think about them...). But maybe we all need to amend their EE billboards with something like.....Sorry, Yeti is presently in Foxtrot Uniform mode and you as tourists, where ever you came from just need to deal with it. We as superior humans at Tango Delta Oscar need to insure Walt's dreams are laughed at...(please don't forget our BONUSES and golden toilet plungers!!)
The Expedition: Everest billboards around Orlando don't say anything at all about the yeti. There isn't even a picture of a yeti. Its the same billboard they have used since E:E opened. All it says is "FACE EVEREST!"

Cosmic Commando

The Expedition: Everest billboards around Orlando don't say anything at all about the yeti. There isn't even a picture of a yeti. Its the same billboard they have used since E:E opened. All it says is "FACE EVEREST!"
OK, but you're nitpicking. I'm not sure if the poster was being literal or not, but you can't deny that Disney did and does advertise the working yeti. It was the focus of almost all the advertising when the ride opened. During the Building a Thrill Ride special, an imagineer (I think Joe Rohde) said, "Without the yeti, there'd be no ride." How long have we been without the yeti now?

Karakasa

They'd have to tear the mountain open because of the structure issues, wouldn't they? I don't know if WDW management wants to foot that bill...

They should. They can afford to. But they don't want to. Get them a sponsor and maybe...

Karakasa

All I know is that I've read repairing the yeti would take a lot of work due to the pillar it's on cracking and being attached to ground or something like that. If I'm wrong, so be it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Kman101

I was there the first week of June, and no light show... just a stobe...

Ok

But they've been testing it apparently so no idea if it's regular, clearly it isn't. I saw him in full glory in May and a few of the clickbait blogs ran with the "BREAKING" news and have a picture ;) nothing gets by them ;) lol

MurphyJoe

OK so people say that the yeti doesnt have much of an impact on people or on yourself even if it is moving? I find this hard to believe because I remember wanting to only ride this rollercoaster because of the yeti. ANIMAL KINGDOM is about animals, even if they are legendary. Without the actual YETI i find this ride more of a fit for magic kingdom....Because all it shows is the shadow and some noises from a distance. seriously in dicomode you can hardly even see him. It adds so much to ride when he was working. To me personally It completes the story. The journey takes you through artifacts of the yeti and people encountering it and then you go into the mountain and live to say that you saw the yeti. without it its just a "well we didnt find it this time....but we saw its shadow?" idk Its poor management to me. it should be fixed. no questions asked!:shrug:

To be fair, that's about all people see of the yeti in the wild. ;)

Karakasa

Ah, thanks for the link!
Wow so its just Disney management being unwilling to put in some railing or what have you so people can get in there and safely do repairwork? That's incredibly cheap of them, my goodness.

EricsBiscuit

They'd have to tear the mountain open because of the structure issues, wouldn't they? I don't know if WDW management wants to foot that bill...

They should. They can afford to. But they don't want to. Get them a sponsor and maybe...
The Yeti, Mountain and track are three separate structures. There's a whole documentary about the construction of it on YT. I don't see why they can't just remove the Yeti structure (they wouldn't have to shut down the ride while doing it) and build a new one or fix the current one. It all boils down to maintenance and money and stupid OSHA safety regulations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom