Yeti Missing from EE Today?

Prog

It was a great and noble idea that unfortunately was very costly and incorrectly engineered. The attraction has not yet lost one rider due to it's being inactive, there is nothing other then pride that warrants fixing it and will likely be disco forever. The rest of the ride is the heart and soul of its popularity, the split second exposure, when noticed, was fairly impressive, however, it went unnoticed most of the time.
It would certainly be noticed with its A-mode lighting. And, beyond pride, the show and narrative quality is what sets Disney apart from a discount amusement park and is badly affected by the Yeti's long tenure in B-mode

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It would certainly be noticed with its A-mode lighting. And, beyond pride, the show and narrative quality is what sets Disney apart from a discount amusement park and is badly affected by the Yeti's long tenure in B-mode

I have to say I agree with Goofyernmost on this one. Didn't ride it before Disney had to make it motionless. Still find it pretty scary - the Yeti part, not the ride as a whole. Only because I'm concerned how secure it really is and don't want it to come crashing down on any riders.

As the daughter of an engineer, I'm kinda glad the thing doesn't move. I looked closely at pictures people have posted online (not ones from riding, but stationary photos of the Yeti and how it is mounted into the mountain). Imagineers are talented artists, but unless one or two of them are actual trained (degree and experience) mechanical or structural engineers, a large moving object on a platform, especially with a swinging downward movement of a large appendage, is an accident waiting to happen. I'm surprised within the first few months of operation, the Yeti didn't break off from its base and fall; glad it didn't because that lawsuit we'd still be talking about. Great idea, poor execution and engineering. I'm perfectly ok with Disco Yeti. As long as Disney PO&M routinely checks it....

Prog

I have to say I agree with Goofyernmost on this one. Didn't ride it before Disney had to make it motionless. Still find it pretty scary - the Yeti part, not the ride as a whole. Only because I'm concerned how secure it really is and don't want it to come crashing down on any riders.

As the daughter of an engineer, I'm kinda glad the thing doesn't move. I looked closely at pictures people have posted online (not ones from riding, but stationary photos of the Yeti and how it is mounted into the mountain). Imagineers are talented artists, but unless one or two of them are actual trained (degree and experience) mechanical or structural engineers, a large moving object on a platform, especially with a swinging downward movement of a large appendage, is an accident waiting to happen. I'm surprised within the first few months of operation, the Yeti didn't break off from its base and fall; glad it didn't because that lawsuit we'd still be talking about. Great idea, poor execution and engineering. I'm perfectly ok with Disco Yeti. As long as Disney PO&M routinely checks it....
A great deal of imagineers are actual structural and mechanical engineers. The whole thing would work perfectly if not for a slight oversight in the automated logistical design program that didn't let its concrete base cure for long enough.

EOD K9

According to marni1971 it not only can be taken out but it has been taken out in the past. That not worth the fuss and expense is an argument that I have used over and over much to the frustration of the purist. It was a great and noble idea that unfortunately was very costly and incorrectly engineered. The attraction has not yet lost one rider due to it's being inactive, there is nothing other then pride that warrants fixing it and will likely be disco forever. The rest of the ride is the heart and soul of its popularity, the split second exposure, when noticed, was fairly impressive, however, it went unnoticed most of the time.

Just out of curiosity, how does a strobe light get to be different? Does it go off - on, off - on instead of on - off, on - off? Just kidding with ya, but, it was the first thing I thought about when you mentioned what your husband said.

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his designers pride
But something touched me deep inside
The day the Yeti died

Can't find a single reason to disagree with that statement.
If you can work Joe Rhode into that, you'd be awesome!

lazyboy97o

There are over 100 disciplines represented at Walt Disney Imagineering and then the many specialized consultants who are brought on for any project. The EPCOT Building Code does not exempt Disney from using licensed architects and engineers, nor does it allow plan stamping.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A great deal of imagineers are actual structural and mechanical engineers. The whole thing would work perfectly if not for a slight oversight in the automated logistical design program that didn't let its concrete base cure for long enough.

There have been lots of rumors and speculation over the years as to the exact problem. The foundation issues are brought up a lot but I am still skeptical about that actually being a problem. This explanation was posted recently on the Yeti thread. Not only does it have the best provenance for any explanation I have read, it also sounds very plausible and provides a reasonable explanation as to why the problem hasn't been fixed.

I've been meaning to post this for quite a while, but just haven't had time. Thanks to a recent reminder from @Master Yoda to try and shed some light on the Yeti debacle....

Ok, so back in September I was at a conference at WDW, and the wife decided to book a Dine With An Imagineer lunch at DHS. I skipped one of my educational sessions to do this, and we ended up with a 2-for-1. The main imagineer was a Show Design and Production manager, who was a DWAI veteran (and most recently involved in the Frozen Ever After project); the other guy was a mechanical engineer in charge of show quality, who was a newbie-in-training, at least when it came to these dinners. He explained to us that it was his job to do periodic "reviews" of the rides, and point out areas where show quality is falling below certain standards. He's also heavily involved in maintaining ride systems and animatronics. It was a fantastic experience, and we learned a lot about how things work behind the scenes, but nearing the end of our time, I (obviously) couldn't resist bringing up the Yeti.

Immediately upon my mentioning the Yeti, I could see that it was an obvious a sore spot for him. He stated that there have been multiple proposals put forth for repairing it, but none of the "big shots" have been on board. As for the specific problem, he mentioned that there are a couple of factors: flaws in the original "design calculations" (these were his words), particularly with regard to operational and maintenance conditions on such a large animatronic, and inability to perform proper maintenance on the Yeti. No mention of "shifting/failed foundations" as is often suggested. As a practicing structural engineer, I wanted to know whether this was the problem, and he indicated that the main issue is the animatronic itself.

The other factor is the ability to perform maintenance on the animatronic. I think this is the source of rumors that they "can't replace /fix it without opening up the mountain" rumors, but it's actually much simpler, and this issue ties into the first. He specifically talked about unanticipated stresses in parts of the animatronic due to lack of maintenance in other parts. If one of the motors in the yeti's elbow wears out or isn't functioning properly, but they continue to operate under those conditions, then higher stresses are transferred to the shoulder and chest, etc. My best guess regarding his comments about "incorrect calculations" is that he was referring to fatigue related problems in the robotic parts, and possibly in other structural supports.

The other major factor is that things have changed dramatically at WDW in the last few years regarding their compliance with OSHA standards for maintenance and fall protection. Any new work done to get the Yeti operational means that they have to update the design to meet these standards, so that ongoing maintenance on the animatronic can be safely performed. This would involve major upgrades to allow compliance with fall protection and other things related to maintenance workers.

It was encouraging at least to see how much it bothered him that it didn't work. He brought up the Universal dig re: their Kong animatronic (it moves...) and said that he and his colleagues all read blogs and other social media comments for research and to pick up on things they miss in their reviews. So, there you have it. Take it for what it's worth, but this guy was no bus driver...;)

lazyboy97o

There have been lots of rumors and speculation over the years as to the exact problem. The foundation issues are brought up a lot but I am still skeptical about that actually being a problem. This explanation was posted recently on the Yeti thread. Not only does it have the best provenance for any explanation I have read, it also sounds very plausible and provides a reasonable explanation as to why the problem hasn't been fixed.
That lines up rather well with @Lee's comments.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The attraction has not yet lost one rider due to it's being inactive..... The rest of the ride is the heart and soul of its popularity, the split second exposure..... it went unnoticed most of the time..
Can I just point out neither of us can say if that's true, false or just personal opinion.

There again they could always just fix or supplement it out of old fashioned pride and show quality.

discos

So realistically if EE goes down for refurb after Pandora, how long would the refurb need to be to get the Yeti fixed (if thats even an option)?

discos

The figure can be and has been removed without shutting down the ride.
But we all know that no matter what, once Pandora opens, that EE will likely go down for refurb since the ride hasn't had one since it was built. Isn't part of the Yeti's problem something to do with the foundation it was built on, not the figure itself?

lazyboy97o

But we all know that no matter what, once Pandora opens, that EE will likely go down for refurb since the ride hasn't had one since it was built. Isn't part of the Yeti's problem something to do with the foundation it was built on, not the figure itself?
This has just been discussed in some of the most recent posts. The coaster probably should get some down time but it is not necessary to fix the figure.

Prog

Yes, but if the above posts are accurate, to fix the figure legally there may need to be added maintenance infrastructure which could necessitate downtime.

MagicHappens1971

Before the thread gets locked I just want to mention that I personally think that the Yeti will be fixed once Pandora is opened, and Joe Rhode did say he will fix the Yeti before he is done being an imagineer.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

This is the most plausible explanation. Stress and fatigue on moving parts. Perhaps resulting from design flaws/miscalculations. I'm sure Yeti's movement was sufficiently tested before installation. But once in real world conditions, these things can become more apparent.

Think about it. 5 minutes each ride, 12 rides an hour, park opens 10 hours each day, so 120 movements of that arm each day. Times 365 days equals 43,800 movements each year. Or put into hours, that arm moves 3,650 hours every year (rough estimate). FAA requires, depending on aircraft, inspection and maintenance (different levels) regularly, based on hours flown (if my dad was still alive, he could quote the regulations bible and verse).

Does OSHA have something similar for moving objects like the Yeti?

Prog

I'm pretty sure OSHA only oversees safety for employees. I do not know if there is any governing body to regulate park guest safety, but Disney and its lawyers/PR department certainly do internally, probably well beyond the legal minimum (though there is reason to suggest otherwise, namely in negligent deaths in Disneyland's dark days).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom