Yeti Missing from EE Today?

Goofyernmost

Can I just point out neither of us can say if that's true, false or just personal opinion.

There again they could always just fix or supplement it out of old fashioned pride and show quality.
I don't argue that, however you are probably asking for a lot of money to be spent on something that very few people are even aware of anymore. Good or bad is a matter of personal judgment, but, they obviously aren't prepared or at least haven't been prepared to pay for that "pride" thing when so few are even conscious of it at all. If Joe couldn't get them to fix it when he is the one that, with earring wildly swinging in the wind, went on camera exclaiming the wonders of the Yeti, I don't think all our concern is going to change anyone's mind. The only one with a basis of pride is him, and he apparently has been able to put it behind him and has moved on.

lazyboy97o

There's a reason that Disney periodically refurbishes attractions with faulty effects whose absence is only recognised by a very small minority whose proportion of profits is probably even smaller.
Or they'll do stuff like repaint an entire wall even if only one small portion needs to be cut open and patched.

Marc Davis Fan

There's a reason that Disney periodically refurbishes attractions with faulty effects whose absence is only recognised by a very small minority whose proportion of profits is probably even smaller.

And importantly, even if a guest doesn't notice or care much about a specific broken effect, the holistic impact on the experience of a park
- when lots of effects are broken or conversely when everything is working - is very significant.

In the case of EE, even if a guest doesn't notice anything is missing, they would have been more impressed with the attraction if there had been a huge Yeti lunging at them, and thus by extension that much more impressed/enthused by DAK.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure OSHA only oversees safety for employees. I do not know if there is any governing body to regulate park guest safety, but Disney and its lawyers/PR department certainly do internally, probably well beyond the legal minimum (though there is reason to suggest otherwise, namely in negligent deaths in Disneyland's dark days).

Major theme parks in Florida, including Disney and Universal, do not get outside inspections of rides, inspections are done internally. As a trade off, they provide quarterly reports of any incident that requires a guest to be taken to a hospital. As for the Yeti, OSHA would only be involved when it comes to the safety equipment used while CM's are performing maintenance on it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
And importantly, even if a guest doesn't notice or care much about a specific broken effect, the holistic impact on the experience of a park
- when lots of effects are broken or conversely when everything is working - is very significant.

In the case of EE, even if a guest doesn't notice anything is missing, they would have been more impressed with the attraction if there had been a huge Yeti lunging at them, and thus by extension that much more impressed/enthused by DAK.

Yeah, the Yeti is to me is a classic example of what Walt called "plussing it". It takes what is already a great ride and adds an unexpected element that takes it to that next level.

Goofyernmost

Sadly that's the Disney of today. In the past they did it because it mattered.

To quote my signature: "In a Disney park, everything must work. Poor maintenance is poor show" - Marty Sklar"
Don't disagree, but, at least for the time being, it is meaningless. New followers of today just don't care and can't recognize real quality. The quality came before the proliferation of technology though, now what we consider a quality issue is surpassed by technology when it comes to impressing the masses. In other words, back in the early days of Disney it was the basic quality that impressed, not any more. In many instances, things like the Yeti working as originally intended, are both unknown to most or if they do know, really don't care. The Yeti is an important part of the story of Everest, but, the form it takes is not to most people. If it were working, it is a plus. If it isn't it still performs in the way that fits and isn't really considered lack of quality by most visitors.

danv3

Came back online for an hour or so, but then the FP line was a good 30 minutes as everyone from all day came back. Went down again at about 6:30. I assume that was it for the night (I gave up and left for Epcot).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So does this mean that disco died today? :p
A long long time ago
I can still remember how
That strobe used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make that yeti dance
And maybe he'd be happy for a while
Animal's Park is melting in the dark
all the sweet mean Yeti's breakin' down.
Someone left cement out in the rain
and I don't think that we will get it
for it took so long to set it
and we'll never have that Ye-eh-ti again
oh nooo.. oh nooo... oh nooooooooo... AAAAaaahhhh....

Castle Cake Apologist

Right on. Disney expects guests to pay premium pricing, and guests should expect a premium product in return.

Bingo. I don't see how anybody can sit there and justify this by saying that most guests "probably don't even notice." Disney attractions and theme parks are stuffed with details that most guests probably don't even notice. That's what makes it Disney.

Goofyernmost

Bingo. I don't see how anybody can sit there and justify this by saying that most guests "probably don't even notice." Disney attractions and theme parks are stuffed with details that most guests probably don't even notice. That's what makes it Disney.
I often wonder... what if Disney had built the mountain originally with just the stagnant Yeti and strobe light effect. We wouldn't be having this conversation because the attraction is still a premium attraction and shows it by being busy all the time. Just because one unit didn't perform to expectations, does not mean that anyone gets shorted on anything. The popularity proves that people don't go there for the Yeti, they go there for the thrill ride. This constant over-dramatization of one apparently irrelevant portion of a still excellent ride is really tedious in my view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom