Would you like to see WDW Space Mountain Re-furbed?

Would you like to see the WDW Space Mountain updated similar to the DL Mountain?

• Yes, Gut it!

Votes: 73 45.1%
  • No, That would be destroying a classic

Votes: 89 54.9%

• Total voters

ogryn

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Hmmm...new lighting scheme? Perhaps. Disneyland just premiered the new lighting scheme on their Space Mountain last month--it looks nice :)

Has anyone got some nice photos of it?

Jenngusto

While I am on the tall side and think it would be nice to have larger shuttles, I do not think SM should be safekly rehabbed to make sure it is safe for all riders, but do not feel that a classic should be gutted just because others do not appreciate something so spcieal. IMO, yeah, maybe it is not as fast as others would like, but there are other rides to take on for such thrills (RnR, etc). SM is an original and a classic to gut it would mean to kill a part of Disney just for $$$$$$, sounds like an Eisner idea. :p

LudwigVonDrake

Space Mountain is perfect the way it is. The building, the queue, the loading area and the exit ramp.....it's all part of a classic Disney Experience!! :)
It should stay the way it is!!

Next WDW trip: July 9 - July 16 Pop Century :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

aimster

The only thing I'd like to see done to Florida's Space Mountain is have a soundtrack added like they did at Disneyland. I love that ambient surf guitar! Really adds to the atmosphere and ride experience.

Lee

Adventurer
Can I vote twice?

Just kidding.

But seeing this thread again just reminds me of how much I hate WDW's Space Mountain. With a passion. Absolutely craptacular! No redeeming qualities whatsoever. Classic shmassic. It' s a total embarassment.

New lights? A soundtrack? Updated effects?

Won't help. As the rather crude saying goes, "You can't polish a turd".

:fork: :brick: :hurl: :hammer: :mad:

Sorry for the rant. Must be the hurricanes getting to me. Go easy on my rep. :kiss:

Disnut

I say leave it the way it is. I like the building on the outside. only rode it once because I can't ride rollercoasters anymore. used to love them.

Merlin

Account Suspended
ISTCNavigator57 said:
DL's Space Mountain will be awesome though! LIM launched lift hill (last I heard) and a queue line themed by the Imagineers who themed Mission: SPACE...I'm excited for it!

I was very underwhelmed by the queue line for Mission: Space. Thought it was a major let down considering the potential. The ride itself is great though. If the same Imagineers are working on the queue for Space Mountain, then I certainly hope they do a better job.

Lee

Adventurer
Two points:

1. No launch in DL's new Space Mountain. The layout won't allow it. Powered lift like Screamin'...possible.

2. True, the queue for Mission:SPACE is not the greatest ever, but something of that quality would be a tremendous improvement over what DL had, and what WDW's now has.

the_riot

-Update the Queue (get rid of those cheesy old low quality TVs)
Maybe in the start of the queue, like where the names of the planets are. Plenty of room for imporvment there.
- Two seater ride vehicles (Its hard getting in thouse little trains) / While I agree I wonder if the current track would allow for it. If so, do it. Those things aren't comfy at all with your legs spread around the seats.
- Air Gates (Not sure why they're pretty cool) / Sure, but it might make for a slower load, and therefore more breakdowns.
- Make the ride LESS BUMPY (Sitting in seat 6 on SM is more bumpy that Dinosaur and Indiana Jones Combined) / No way! Bumpy = wooden coaster = GOOD. I love it!
- Better music and special effects / Special effects heck yeah. A new scene above would be awesome. Something more thrilling. More asteroids, space ships flying in and out since its suppose to be a space port. Don't ever chnage the music. Next to SSE it's got my fav soundtrack. The best part is bouncing up and down on the speed ramp listening to that music. It just makes me feel good. Let's me know Im at world.
- Change the color / Of the building? Nah. Just some kewl lighting effects would suffice.
- make it more thrilling / It's good enough as is. The drops in the dark do it for me every time.
Just my 3 cents folks. One of my fav rides so I figured I should chime in.

DarkMeasures

Merlin said:
I was very underwhelmed by the queue line for Mission: Space. Thought it was a major let down considering the potential. The ride itself is great though. If the same Imagineers are working on the queue for Space Mountain, then I certainly hope they do a better job.

I don't understand this. Mission Space has the best line out of any Epcot ride. The only one that comes close is Test Track. Most of the others are lines in rooms with carpeted walls that if you rest on them, you get itchy.

se8472

xstechbabe said:
We had a manger who looked like the mom in COP last act :)

Way to bring back the dead, but leave her alone LOL. I swear I was the only one that liked her :(

But I will try and remain calm with people talking smack about my ride.

Merlin

Account Suspended
DarkMeasures said:
I don't understand this. Mission Space has the best line out of any Epcot ride. The only one that comes close is Test Track. Most of the others are lines in rooms with carpeted walls that if you rest on them, you get itchy.

I suppose it's all a matter of personal taste, because I don't really care for the queue on Test Track either. :lol:

The M:S queue is tiny, for one thing. I expected much more in the props as well. The gravity wheel is the focal point and it's really basically kind of boring to look at, don't you think?

Test Track's queue seems designed more to educate than to entertain. But I really don't think it does a good job of either of those goals. Walt once said, "I would rather entertain and home that people learn something than educate and hope they're entertained." Based on that premise, I think Test Track's queue would have been better if they'd had maybe some animated crash test dummies in the queue doing funny stuff, but teaching you in the process.

mrtoad

I won't vote as I could go either way. I could say just refurb it to smooth it out, maybe add a soundtrack. Or gut it to make a DLP clone or a new ride. I like the way it is but it needs some TLC but would love an updated coaster too. Either way I am fine.

Just to touch on the clone thing. I don't understand why everyone gets so upset with clones, especially ones from the parks outside the US. Do most people actually get to all the parks? I could not afford to, so I would be happy if they brought some of those attractions to WDW.

KevinPage

Disneyland SM is much more intense in a bad way though, I don't find it nearly as "FUN" of a ride. Also, I get bored to tears with the constant RIGHT turns over and over and over.

I wouldn't mind music and sprucing up the queue and track though :D

Since1976

At the very least, I think they should refurb the exterior to look more whimsical, like Disneyland Paris' Space Mountain.

ChairborneRangr

How can SM today be considered the "Classic".

I rode SM when it first opened. THey have definately changed it. I'd like to see it refurbed BACK to the classic completely dark ride. None of the lights on the support structure etc. Adding a soundtrack to the ride would be a nice addition.

BwanaBob

Here's to Polished turds!

:sohappy:

I know. Why don't we gut the whole thing...
and put DarkMeasures' avatar right smack-dab in the middle of the mountains concrete floor...

with one lone spotlight on it.

...and bring back the paper tickets while you're at it! An "E" ticket if I ever saw one!

zone15int

1. redo the queue before the zigzag corridor.

2. get rid of those cheesy monitors. if you look at them, each one of the 4 has a different tint. one is extremely green and one has a line of static on the top.

3. get rid of the flashing sign above the merge point.

4. let the merge cast member do "live" warning spiels. give 'em a mic dammit!! :)
the pre recorded ones cut out in the middle of the english spiel.
5. put an electric fence around the tower. tint the windows. :p

6. change the safety warnings that flash behind the cm's at pit 1 & 2, install plasma screens that flash the same info but add , remain behind the yellow striped line until the cm says you can cross.

7. install station gates, man.

8. allow the safety bars to lock at pit 1.

9.get rid of that werid metal grating on the walls and on the main lift.

10. dust dust dust :)

11. get rid of the zoom zoom song. please.

12. get a sponsor for a new post show.

13. replace the floor tiles at the exit of the speedramp. theres bubbles in em.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom