Would you like to see WDW Space Mountain Re-furbed?

Would you like to see the WDW Space Mountain updated similar to the DL Mountain?

• Yes, Gut it!

Votes: 73 45.1%
  • No, That would be destroying a classic

Votes: 89 54.9%

• Total voters

Danny14

Space Mountain is a classic that shouldn't be changed. Some of the theming could use some updating, but the ride itself is great fun and should never be changed.

ToTBellHop

I would love to see it get the treatment Disneyland's ride is getting...same general theme, same mountain, but a better ride experience. It's just so dated...

Rora

I'd like it to stay as it is. Especially if redoing it required them to close it for years, like in DL.

I'm still bitter over how they "updated" the Tiki Room

ToTBellHop

DL's Space Mountain will be awesome though! LIM launched lift hill (last I heard) and a queue line themed by the Imagineers who themed Mission: SPACE...I'm excited for it!

Steamboat_Kevin

I wouldn't mind a queue change, and a few small things changed, but I wouldn't like the whole attraction changed. I wouldn't mind if they changed it to match DLP's Space Mountain, because I hear it's far superior to WDW's and DL's (not sure if it's true, though)

stingrock23

If it were ever changed, I'd miss it tremendously. I hope they don't change it, but if they do, I'd rather see it like Disneyland Paris than Disneyland.

NeedABreak

While I like the super futureistic stuff I think we get enouh at Mission space. Keep SpaceMountain the way it is and clean the thing!

My favorite part about WDW SM (and tomorow land in general) is that it is not in any real way an accurate rendering of the future. Its the buck rodgers style stuff that I really like, lots of gizmos with tons of flashing lights and make crazy noises but are totaly useless! I love that stuff!

Do over nigh renovations and just clean the thing up nicely with out closeing it for over a week, that would be great.

A total change or a clone of paris would be a disaster. The old fashion style has got to stay, I wanna bring my kids and there kids to a SM just like the one I've been rideing on!

General Grizz

While I know Paris's is better. . . something about the imperfections of our Space Mountain makes it seem so classic.

Out of all attractions, this seems to be the one that I'd like to stay with the old feel via the old technology. No clue why.

DisneylandDude

Yes!! They need a refurb (although not as extensive as the one at DLR)
This is what we need at the WDW SM.
-Update the Queue (get rid of those cheesy old low quality TVs)
- Two seater ride vehicles (Its hard getting in thouse little trains)
- Air Gates (Not sure why they're pretty cool)
- Make the ride LESS BUMPY (Sitting in seat 6 on SM is more bumpy that Dinosaur and Indiana Jones Combined)
- Better music and special effects
- Change the color
- make it more thrilling

se8472

DisneylandDude said:
- Make the ride LESS BUMPY (Sitting in seat 6 on SM is more bumpy that Dinosaur and Indiana Jones Combined)
- Change the color
- make it more thrilling

All I see is a updating of the queue. Maybe something that will help guest know they are on a space station. In my mind make the place look more like a airport. Also a nice singles line would be nice...

As for the seats PLZ don't do anything to them. Our coaster is SO FREAKEN unique the way it is. How many coasters funtion like ours does...very few.

As for the music...its been in the works for years so yeah...one day we hope.

As for more thrilling...yeah the ride herself is fine. Next time you come in just chill at unload for a few minutes and watch the other guest come in. Then tell me the ride does not rock. Its nor Rocken Roller Coaster...nor should it ever be.

Does anyone wave at the people before they take off into "space" Usually people would wave at the people about to take off even though we didn't know them... I guess it's just being in Disney everyone is so kind! I think thats pretty neat we wave the people who are about to go cruising! BTW Does anyone know what the plot is on Space mountain (i mean why are we going into "space")

Angie

StevenT

Original Poster
DisneylandDude said:
- Change the color
- make it more thrilling
-Update the queue yes, and I would say it really needs a new post show.
-The only way to put in two seater ride vehicles would be to gut it and totally replace it with a new layout. The current track design isn't suited for vehicles any wider than what they have now. Plus the one seated vehicles, as hard to get in for some people as they may be, are still really unique and cool.
-Last I heard air gates are coming.
-Yeah seat 6 is really bumpy but I just think of it as part of the ride so it's just part of the fun to be violently shaken around.
-They could certainly do with music and special effects, but if that doesn't come I'll be alright just listening to my headsets. ("Jump Man" by guitarist Buckethead synchonises pretty well to Space Mountain as he revealed in an interview).
-Change the color? I don't know what colors, black space needs to stay black. If it's the colors of the ride vehicles then yes a change would be nice.
-No, do not make it more thrilling. That would require a complete track overhaul.

One more thing I just thought of that isn't themed well at all is the unload area. It's just like an airport lounge or something, not real spectacular. They should update that and really make it look like a spaceport.

M:SpilotISTC12

i would hate to see space mountain get redone. all it needs is a little rehab but the ride its self doesnt need to be redone. i love this ride. if it went down for a long time like the one in DL is i would go through withdrawal. ahhhhh. i would miss the ride too much. :cry:

AdLibSean

Is nothing sacred anymore? :eek: :lol: Seriously, our SM is charming. I agree it may need to be enhanced from time to time. The thing I'd like to see maybe is more immersive star effects and the like during the actual ride. LOVE the que! The uphill climb, the windows, the music- everything! Wouldn't mind on-board audio though, but leave it alone!!! Go pick on something else! :D Go to MGM for your super thrills! :wave:

se8472

AdLibSean said:
Is nothing sacred anymore? :eek: :lol: Seriously, our SM is charming. I agree it may need to be enhanced from time to time. The thing I'd like to see maybe is more immersive star effects and the like during the actual ride. LOVE the que! The uphill climb, the windows, the music- everything! Wouldn't mind on-board audio though, but leave it alone!!! Go pick on something else! :D Go to MGM for your super thrills! :wave:

no no no...the uphill thing needs to go and fast...its not cool seeing kids push some adult up it, not cool at all.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
AdLibSean - well said!

WDW SM is one of the last hang overs from the original Tomorrowland that actually fits in today. By all means maintain it and tweak it - but don`t rip it out. Onboard audio, yes. New projection effects, yes. Even updated launch and re entry tunnel effects, yes. The track should be a national monument - it was the first to be computer designed. If you want catapult launches go to Paris (DLP`s SM is very good, but virtually a different ride in all but name - and very bumpy too) IMHO of course...

One thing I`m all for - do something with the exterior lighting. Its such a missed opportunity. For 30 years now SM has been lit using floodlights on a pole that should be at a football game. And please - no green floods! Maybe not as intricate as DLP, but some subtle colour changes on the mountain with some surface mounted lighing for the sides and neon / uplighting on the spires. It would look great from the Contemporary!

ToTBellHop

Hmmm...new lighting scheme? Perhaps. Disneyland just premiered the new lighting scheme on their Space Mountain last month--it looks nice :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom