Would you like to see WDW Space Mountain Re-furbed?

Would you like to see the WDW Space Mountain updated similar to the DL Mountain?

• Yes, Gut it!

Votes: 73 45.1%
  • No, That would be destroying a classic

Votes: 89 54.9%

• Total voters

StevenT

Original Poster
Would you like to see the WDW Space Mountain totally re-done similar to the Disneyland Space Mountain, or would you rather it be kept alone?

I say leave it be, it's the original Space Mountain. I love it too much to be able to part with it forever.

P.S. Does anybody know if this will ever happen? In the near future? Distant Future?

andre85

I really hope they rip it out. I don't have any nostalgic factors binding me with the ride, and as such, it's clearly out of date.

It'd be ideal if they replaced it with DLP's version.

I love the ride the way it is but maybe re-doing it a little wouldn't hurt... I definetly wouldn't want them to redo the whole thing that would be TERRIBLE....maybe just fix it up a little or increase the speed..... a change that is noticable yetnot makeing the ride feel new like they kicked out the old Space Mountain.....as of right now i would say keep it the way it is

Ang
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: 59 more days :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Lee

Adventurer
My views on this are well known...

Gut that sucker!!!!!!

Space Mountain needs the look and feel of New Tomorrowland.
Forget Disneyland, give it the Paris treatment.
-Put neon on the exterior
-Launch from outside, through a huge ray gun (instead of a cannon)
-Onboard audio
-Immersive, state of the art visual effects
-Props inside the mountain

Anything, really....the poor mountain is crying out for help getting out of 1975.:brick:

StevenT

Original Poster
I say it might be alright to give it a Small World like refurb, clean it up, make everything look brand new, maybe add a few new effects, replace the post-show.

Although DLP's version looks really cool, I just don't really like cloned rides, I like how there is no other Space Mountain like ours.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Yes, definitely!!! The ride is way too rough and it's just not all that fun anymore. Plus, they need to do something about the loading/unloading so the CMs don't seem so pressured to load the ride so fast. On two separate occasions, we've requested a specific seat on Space Mountain and have been treated as though we've majorly inconvenienced the CM loading the ride. We've never had this happen on any other ride so it must be something specific about WDW's Space Mountain.

Lee

Adventurer
Originally posted by StevenT
Although DLP's version looks really cool, I just don't really like cloned rides, I like how there is no other Space Mountain like ours.

No, no....not a clone.
Make it BETTER!

Not an exact copy.

mellie882

I worked at Space Mountain. They do have to load you quickly and get you out of the ride quickly or else the ride breaks down. At the unload area, you can only have so many rockets docked there. If you have too many rockets docked there, then rockets will begin to be held out on track in special brakes, and the ride shuts down. You can't send a rocket out from unload unless there is somewhere for it to go, hence the rush at the load area. If you don't continue to send rockets into the ride, the rockets from unload have no where to go and get backed up at unload, causing a breakdown. I hope that helps to clarify that issue. Cast members are not trying to rush you, they are just trying to avoid an unnecessary breakdown.

StevenT

Original Poster
Mellie, would you say that is the reason why it shuts down most of the time? If not that, what is usually the cause? Space Mountain seems to go down quite often.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by mellie882
I worked at Space Mountain. They do have to load you quickly and get you out of the ride quickly or else the ride breaks down. At the unload area, you can only have so many rockets docked there. If you have too many rockets docked there, then rockets will begin to be held out on track in special brakes, and the ride shuts down. You can't send a rocket out from unload unless there is somewhere for it to go, hence the rush at the load area. If you don't continue to send rockets into the ride, the rockets from unload have no where to go and get backed up at unload, causing a breakdown. I hope that helps to clarify that issue. Cast members are not trying to rush you, they are just trying to avoid an unnecessary breakdown.

Well that confirms that it's due to the design of the load/unload, which is what I was getting at in my post. That certainly explains why the CMs DO seem rushed, but it's no excuse for being rude to guests (which I've had happen to me twice now just because we asked if we could sit in the front...The back is too bumpy).

mellie882

Mellie, would you say that is the reason why it shuts down most of the time? If not that, what is usually the cause? Space Mountain seems to go down quite often.

I would say that 90% of the breakdowns are due to what we call "slow guests", or guests that take too long loading or unloading. We can delay rockets for slower guests to help reduce the risk of this happening. For example, if a guest with a wheelchair comes and loads slowly, we can delay the rocket behind it to give it more time at the unload station. Delaying rockets reduces the number of trains on the track and can reduce the likelyhood of rockets backing up and breaking down the ride. Unfortunately, some slow guests are not detected. Some guests get into the rockets just fine, get sick or disoriented during the ride, and can't get out at unload. The rockets back up and the ride goes down.

Space Mountain only has about 7 safe spots (load station, unload station) for rockets to be held, leaving 6 out on track. Most of the time there is a balanced distribution of rockets parked in safe spots and rockets moving out on track. This balance can be disturbed by slow guests and other causes and break down the ride.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Originally posted by mellie882
I would say that 90% of the breakdowns are due to what we call "slow guests", or guests that take too long loading or unloading. We can delay rockets for slower guests to help reduce the risk of this happening. For example, if a guest with a wheelchair comes and loads slowly, we can delay the rocket behind it to give it more time at the unload station. Delaying rockets reduces the number of trains on the track and can reduce the likelyhood of rockets backing up and breaking down the ride. Unfortunately, some slow guests are not detected. Some guests get into the rockets just fine, get sick or disoriented during the ride, and can't get out at unload. The rockets back up and the ride goes down.

Space Mountain only has about 7 safe spots (load station, unload station) for rockets to be held, leaving 6 out on track. Most of the time there is a balanced distribution of rockets parked in safe spots and rockets moving out on track. This balance can be disturbed by slow guests and other causes and break down the ride.

Wow! It sounds like it's really complicated due to outdated technology! I say, gut the building and build a completely new ride inside!

ZHoyt

Originally posted by Lee
My views on this are well known...

Gut that sucker!!!!!!

Space Mountain needs the look and feel of New Tomorrowland.
Forget Disneyland, give it the Paris treatment.
-Put neon on the exterior
-Launch from outside, through a huge ray gun (instead of a cannon)
-Onboard audio
-Immersive, state of the art visual effects
-Props inside the mountain

Anything, really....the poor mountain is crying out for help getting out of 1975.:brick:

YES!! Please tell me this will be seriously considered some day.

I love Space Mountain, but I could love a new Space Mountain even more. Just don't make the RnRC mistake of being so short. I always feel jipped on that ride.

StevenT

Original Poster
Originally posted by ZHoyt
Just don't make the RnRC mistake of being so short. I always feel jipped on that ride.

If they do redo space mountain, it needs to be aprox. the length it currently is. R&R Coaster is WAY too short for a coaster.

speck76

It would be nice to have a new Space Mountain, but also the MK seems to be more focused than the other DL's to keep all attractions kid friendly. It would be nice to have them create two rides inside the building, one that is very thrilling, and one that is just an updated version of the current ride.

Just as long as they keep the cutie that works on Space Mt (glasses/skirt) I am ok:D

StevenT

Original Poster
Originally posted by speck76
Just as long as they keep the cutie that works on Space Mt (glasses/skirt) I am ok:D
:lol: :lol: :lol: I haven't been lucky enough to catch her yet. Maybe I should pay attention this weekend :lol: :lol: :lol:

speck76

:lol: :lol: :lol: I haven't been lucky enough to catch her yet. Maybe I should pay attention this weekend :lol: :lol: :lol:

She may be a manager:confused: , she always seems to be fighting fires....but she is a cutie:D

Laura

Premium Member
I think they could definitely improve it! It's a lot of fun the way it is, but it sure has the potential to be more fun.

Tenny317

I love Space Mountain bc I've been going on it forever however, it has lost its charm...It's not as fast as it used to seem and inside the ride it is very dull. There is not much going on. I hate the screen on top with the asteroids and stars...super boring...I know my Imagineers can do better! We also need a new trackwith some more thrills! It doesn't have to go upside down but it needs a kick! The theming on the queue line totallyneeds help! There is nothing going on , on that line! The cars and ride need to seem more futuristic looking...I like the idea of it starting from outside...

Ok love it or hate it...thats my opinion :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom