• Yes

Votes: 645 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters

pixargal

I am looking forward to checking this out. The projections on the castle look great and the music sample in the video sounds amazing.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Noticeably absent from that video: Steve Davison

If I'm not mistaken, he also wasn't involved with Rivers of Light. For someone who is "Lead Creative Executive for Parades and Spectaculars", he seems to have gone missing recently. Is he still even with WDI?

yes he is...

his FP post from Jan 4th

"I'm back from Holiday and ready to start on new surprises. Thank you all for your kind words regarding World of Color-Season of Light. It turned out to be something very special. Now into even more exciting projects coming your way. They haven't been announced yet, so I can't chat about them, but they'll be really fun to create.

More soon. S"

MerlinTheGoat

Lets hope that the show is still primarily a firework show, and just supplemented with the lighting.
Hope so too, but the video does seem to indicate an emphasis on fireworks. I guess we'll see. Will be a massive disappointment if they heavily reduce the fireworks portion.

I did not see this announcement coming so out of the blue. I know Martin has said this has been in the works for years now and is actually late, but I still didn't expect such an abrupt announcement without prior warning.

I hope they can incorporate the projections into the castle's design better than the previous two projection shows. The original Magic Memories and You projection show from a few years ago has thus far had the best execution. Every surface and shape of the castle including spires, windows and other geometry was used to make it seem like the castle was a natural part of the video elements. Newer projection shows haven't done this nearly to the same degree. I don't want them to mostly use the front as a generic projection surface with little thought put into all the unique geometry of the castle. The thumbnail from Steve's video shows some promise in this regard for instance.

Not feeling the music so far though, kind of reminds me of a far more bland and derivative take on something like Fantasmic's music (I actually like Fantasmic's music though). Would have been nice if they had incorporated water jets into this show as well like Dreams...

brb1006

I'm absolutely thrilled to see that they're throwing brand new hand drawn animation into this. However, the timing for this show seems sort of sudden. Would've made most sense for them to open this in October for the 45th, but I guess that's just modern Disney making absolutely no sense as usual. I also have some trepidations about the show's score. Most Iger era scores have been bland and do not compare to Eisner era shows such as wishes. I just kind of wish (pun intended) that they'd just update Wishes with state of the art projections and other effects.
Let's hope they do brand new hand drawn animation for the return of Disneyland's Fantasmic this Summer.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Noticeably absent from that video: Steve Davison

If I'm not mistaken, he also wasn't involved with Rivers of Light. For someone who is "Lead Creative Executive for Parades and Spectaculars", he seems to have gone missing recently. Is he still even with WDI?
TDO doesn't just rely on Davison anymore. The long term effect is still to be seen.

SpaceMountain75

It's nice to see them plussing something! My only fear is that having two back-to-back castle projection shows will be somewhat redundant, but I'm reserving judgment till I get there since I haven't seen Once Upon a Time yet.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm not a fan of projection shows, so at this time I'm not terribly excited about this new show replacing 'Wishes!'. Until I can see it for myself, of course.

Sadly, I'm expecting more projection and less fireworks, because that fits very, very well with the Iger-era "cost-containment" mantra.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom