Votes: 645 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters

Donaldfan1934

No. Still this year. Just not May.
Did they decide to push it to May to combat the predicted Avtar land crowds? I also notice that when they do open new attractions in general, it's very rarely before Memorial Day weekend. If you go there in the first 4, sometimes 5, months of the year, you typically miss out on all their new stuff.

Donaldfan1934

Let's hope they do brand new hand drawn animation for the return of Disneyland's Fantasmic this Summer.
Agreed. I'm going out there at the end of May, so I hope the RoA is opening up by then. Either way, I'm very curious as to what rumored updates are and aren't in the show.

HMF

Noticeably absent from that video: Steve Davison

If I'm not mistaken, he also wasn't involved with Rivers of Light. For someone who is "Lead Creative Executive for Parades and Spectaculars", he seems to have gone missing recently. Is he still even with WDI?
He is mostly DL based plus his shows are operational nightmares.

KYWDW

It has been FireOne, and I don't see why that would change.
That was my assumption as that's pretty much the industry standard. With all the video projections involved do you know if they are just sending the time code over to video projection software?

GrimGrinningGhost15

Watching Wishes on youtube as we speak and shedding a few tears. When I day dream about being at Disney, I think of the first time my husband and I went together. It was my very first trip, we were only dating, still in college, we ended our first night at Magic Kingdom and watched Wishes right out side of Haunted Mansion. That was the moment that truly started my Disney obsession. Magic... and goosebumps everywhere, even when I think about it now! Ever since that night, wishes has made me a big ol' cry baby haha.

Looking forward to seeing this new show in the fall though. We went to Disneyland last spring and their end of evening show is pretty fun. A ton of projections, especially down main street. Not as much nostalgic Disney music, which I am sure is better for the younger audience (but what about us!! haha) I imagine this will be similar.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I would strongly doubt we will see air launch.

Interesting, I thought they used the same system at all the parks, I appreciate the correction and information! Do you know if the air launch system is only used in California and on the cruise ships, then?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Interesting, I thought they used the same system at all the parks, I appreciate the correction and information! Do you know if the air launch system is only used in California and on the cruise ships, then?
There have only ever been 3 shots in WDW that have used air launch, and that was the opening 3 shots of Reflections of Earth. That came to an end after 10years or so due to cost and other issues. Since then it has reverted to a regular black powder launch.

Everything at the MK and Studios has always been black powder.

It was used at DL due to close proximity to built up areas. Less pollution and more accuracy.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Noticeably absent from that video: Steve Davison

If I'm not mistaken, he also wasn't involved with Rivers of Light. For someone who is "Lead Creative Executive for Parades and Spectaculars", he seems to have gone missing recently. Is he still even with WDI?
This show appears to be originating out of Orlando. There are elements of WDI involved, but the leads on the show are from WDW Creative Entertainment.

Monorail_Red_77

To my limited knowledge, Illuminations uses at least some air launch. They use this so as not to see the fire/sparks sending the mortars up. You just get an explosion in the air with no warning. Compared to MK where you can see the fire trail leading up to the explosions. There's an old 2010 documentary that talks a little bit about it. Documentaries were done by Lightship Entertainment. You can find them on Hulu currently. Search for Disney Parks. they are old but still fun to watch. Lots of good info in there still. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom