• No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Regardless of the supposed negatives of them being IP centric or whatever (the most worthless argument ever- Walt himself would slap all of you people), does anyone think Pandora and Star Wars Land won't be home runs?
There'll both look gorgeous and be packed out. Avlands biggest issue will be attraction capacity due to the comparatively short ride times. SWL will just need a third people eater.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I am absolutley sick and tired of seeing attractions being neglected and watered down, tired of disappointments and walking their the parks remembering what has come and gone and now just one more show to add to that list. For a place that's suposed to be magical and amazing like they sell it off as its horrible how they destroy and neglect attractions and a place that people love and live for. Once upon a time is a great show, the fact that there adding a new show that uses lighting and projections tells me that there going to cut back on the pyro, just look at Shmphony in the Stars compared to a Galactic Spectacular and them watering down illuminations pyro, this is just another way to use technology that they already have with some cheap new toys just to cut back on fireworks. And I already hate the music, I love wishes they screw up all the good shows. I'm sick of the direction the parks have gone in from the prices to the quality of the parks, it's just wrong in many ways.

Last edited:

culturenthrills

There'll both look gorgeous and be packed out. Avlands biggest issue will be attraction capacity due to the comparatively short ride times. SWL will just need a third people eater.

To me that is part of the problem. Is that SWL and TSL is really not adding much in the way of capacity to DHS.

ToTBellHop

I never understand this. No matter how many time I see people say it here.
For all the money they are spending, they are adding 5 rides, none of which have outstanding hourly capacity. We are trading GMR capacity (probably reducing), lost BLT for A S S and Slink Dog (likely an hourly reduction) and SWL, which also requires the loss of LMA, an extremely successful holiday offering, and a theater that once entertained guests. At best, we are perhaps adding 1000 guests per hour to the park's capacity. That is far too modest for the kind of money we are talking. Walking space will also only modestly increase due to conversion of existing (or former following closure last year) walking space to backstage and conversion of some backstage to being on stage. The actual boundaries of the park will be unchanged and in most cases, many acres are being eaten up inefficiently. As has been discussed ad nauseum (literally makes me nauseous) the Mickey ride should be a new build in addition to GMR and at least one of the lands should have been largely built as a park expansion. The park needs new capacity, not even trades. They seem to be mistaking Epcot, where even trades would be fine, for DHS, which is underbuilt, poorly organized, and unbalanced. Almost $3 bn should have been enough to solve all three issues. Instead, it will solve none of the three. At least the actual rides should largely be fun even if they are just kicking this park's problem can down the road by maybe 10 years.

I wonder what the park's fourth name will be?

Last edited:

FullSailDan

For all the money they are spending, they are adding 5 rides, none of which have outstanding hourly capacity. We are trading GMR capacity (probably reducing), lost BLT for A S S and Slink Dog (likely an hourly reduction) and SWL, which also requires the loss of LMA, an extremely successful holiday offering, and a theater that once entertained guests. At best, we are perhaps adding 1000 guests per hour to the park's capacity. That is far too modest for the kind of money we are talking. Walking space will also only modestly increase due to conversion of existing (or former following closure last year) walking space to backstage and conversion of some backstage to being on stage. The actual boundaries of the park will be unchanged and in most cases, many acres are being eaten up inefficiently. As has been discussed ad nauseum (literally makes me nauseous) the Mickey ride should be a new build in addition to GMR and at least one of the lands should have been largely built as a park expansion. The park needs new capacity, not even trades. They seem to be mistaking Epcot, where even trades would be fine, for DHS, which is underbuilt, poorly organized, and unbalanced. Almost $3 bn should have been enough to solve all three issues. Instead, it will solve none of the three. At least the actual rides should largely be fun even if they are just kicking this park's problem can down the road by maybe 10 years.

I wonder what the park's fourth name will be?
Hourly capacity doesn't mean anything though if the crowds are utilizing it. I can't tell you the number of times I'd go to backlot tour and see 90% of the tram empty. LMA was interesting but failed draw huge crowds past it's initial year. I think this had more to do with the lack of interest in the back of the park in general. The last show I saw in the theater was hunchback so I can't really comment on that. Yes an expansion would be great, but no use continuing to run something just because it's a people eater.

21stamps

Hourly capacity doesn't mean anything though if the crowds are utilizing it. I can't tell you the number of times I'd go to backlot tour and see 90% of the tram empty. LMA was interesting but failed draw huge crowds past it's initial year. I think this had more to do with the lack of interest in the back of the park in general. The last show I saw in the theater was hunchback so I can't really comment on that. Yes an expansion would be great, but no use continuing to run something just because it's a people eater.
This is why I don't understand the claims. What good is space if the majority of people aren't using it?
These 2 lands will far surpass anything that HS has every had. In content, and in space utilization.. the only downside is more people will now flock to that park. That's not a flaw on Disney's end though.

ToTBellHop

Dare to dream, they should have been able to update the existing stale rides to make them compelling AND build new rides. Imagine if Disneyland was only allowed to have 9 rides.

matt9112

I wish you would've "gone there" with the Norway pavilion because that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. I fully recognize that there are large parts of WDW that need work. The point I was arguing is that most of the new stuff has been pretty darn good. There are lots of problems with old stuff that need to be addressed, but that doesn't have anything to do with the people doubting the quality of this new nighttime show.

Imagination sucks and has sucked since the 90s and they haven't fixed it yet. Fine. I'm not arguing that point. My point is that when they do get around to fixing it, I have confidence they'll do a good job.

there isn't much new though....frozen is an amazingly decorated cake but the cake is mush.

but really in last say 10 years not much new.
I wish you would've "gone there" with the Norway pavilion because that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. I fully recognize that there are large parts of WDW that need work. The point I was arguing is that most of the new stuff has been pretty darn good. There are lots of problems with old stuff that need to be addressed, but that doesn't have anything to do with the people doubting the quality of this new nighttime show.

Imagination sucks and has sucked since the 90s and they haven't fixed it yet. Fine. I'm not arguing that point. My point is that when they do get around to fixing it, I have confidence they'll do a good job.

your arguing with one of the most highly regarded WDW historians of sorts this world may ever know so may i ask? are you ready?

Donaldfan1934

In just one park?

SSE ride system
State of Energy still
Wonders still
MS show quality
The entire Imagination pavilion
Circle of life still playing
Show state of Living with the Land
Empty 1994 Living with the Land finale
Thinning of RoE
AmAd projection quality

(Without going near the Norway pavilion)
Excently put. It's not so much that the vast majority of these things happened 10 to 20+ years ago, but rather the fact that they remain unfixed until this very day. To understand Disney's overall decline in quality, you also need to understand how stagnation plays a massive part in it.

CJR

I remember someone, may have been you, said something about a third attraction was planned that got cut.

It was described in a way that made me think of the Peoplemover. If you know, is the land being built in a manner to where this could be added at a later time or do you think so much has been changed that it's no longer possible? It sounded pretty interesting to me since I like those "escape" attractions. Seems like that would have been perfect for DHS.

EDIT: My apologies, I had lots of tabs open, sorry for branching off topic in a Wishes replacement thread.

Someone made a thread to discuss this here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/dhs-star-wars-land-progress.924466/

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I remember someone, may have been you, said something about a third attraction was planned that got cut.

It was described in a way that made me think of the Peoplemover. If you know, is the land being built in a manner to where this could be added at a later time or do you think so much has been changed that it's no longer possible? It sounded pretty interesting to me since I like those "escape" attractions. Seems like that would have been perfect for DHS.

EDIT: My apologies, I had lots of tabs open, sorry for branching off topic in a Wishes replacement thread.
Yes, I did. If you want to copy this to the SWL thread I'll answer fully.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I've been watching wishes here and here on periscope, besides all this flack about budget cuts they have been using allot of different fireworks which are probably he ones soon to be transitioned over to, there are allot of larger shells in this being used as of now.

yoda_5729

Hopefully in the new show, there willbe sequences that do not have the castle projections on. It's not that I don't like them, as I actually do think they are cool, but taking pictures with somewhat of a cartoon on the castle, as well as the fireworks, getting it all in focus can be a real obstacle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom