• Yes

Votes: 645 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters

AEfx

The show was way too syrupy sweet to me. And its use and overuse of terms like 'dreams', 'wishes' and 'magic' turned me off.

Oh boy, are you in for a treat, then. HEA's music is so schmaltzy it makes Wishes sound like a funeral dirge. And say what you will about dreams, wishes, and magic - but it at least Wishes! felt Disney, not like this this "Up-With-People" meets Tween Disney "romantic" duet monstrosity.

Sir_Cliff

Oh boy, are you in for a treat, then. HEA's music is so schmaltzy it makes Wishes sound like a funeral dirge. And say what you will about dreams, wishes, and magic - but it at least Wishes! felt Disney, not like this this "Up-With-People" meets Tween Disney "romantic" duet monstrosity.
"Up-With-People"?

Disney Analyst

Wow. that is not what I hear at all when I listen to HEA. Its not even in the same league.

Fully agree. This is not some cheesy, crappy pop song. It has wonderful lyrics and musicality. It works in both a pop style and full choral choir. I feel like people are really selling the new song short due to their personal vendetta against anything in a more modern style... This is what people want in music nowadays. Get over it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Fully agree. This is not some cheesy, crappy pop song. It has wonderful lyrics and musicality. It works in both a pop style and full choral choir. I feel like people are really selling the new song short due to their personal vendetta against anything in a more modern style... This is what people want in music nowadays. Get over it.

Taking people skills coaching classes from AJH219 now?

Disney hasn't become 'timeless' because they simply did what 'people want in music nowadays'. In fact, the contemporary music is many of the later feature animation films is one of the bigger knocks against the films because they didn't resonate the same and have felt dated to that period. It's been 15+ years.. and those impressions have not changed. It's not just short-sighted opinions.. it's a long term view. I love early Genesis and Phil Collins... but the Disney soundtracks he has done do not land in the same class as other Disney classics. No matter how good the song maybe on its own as a song.. it takes more to become memorable and invoke an emotional attachment or response.

Judging the attachment success when it's brand new is difficult.. but this example has not fit Disney's pattern of success for that.. so it's fighting from behind the curve on establishing that.

Disney Analyst

Taking people skills coaching classes from AJH219 now?

Disney hasn't become 'timeless' because they simply did what 'people want in music nowadays'. In fact, the contemporary music is many of the later feature animation films is one of the bigger knocks against the films because they didn't resonate the same and have felt dated to that period. It's been 15+ years.. and those impressions have not changed. It's not just short-sighted opinions.. it's a long term view. I love early Genesis and Phil Collins... but the Disney soundtracks he has done do not land in the same class as other Disney classics. No matter how good the song maybe on its own as a song.. it takes more to become memorable and invoke an emotional attachment or response.

Judging the attachment success when it's brand new is difficult.. but this example has not fit Disney's pattern of success for that.. so it's fighting from behind the curve on establishing that.

I completely don't agree. Music has and is constantly evolving, and the musical styles Disney is choosing to use today doesn't mean those songs won't ever be considered a classic Disney song, you can't just churn out the same sound over and over again, people lose interest. Disney music had to evolve.

shernernum

I completely don't agree. Music has and is constantly evolving, and the musical styles Disney is choosing to use today doesn't mean those songs won't ever be considered a classic Disney song, you can't just churn out the same sound over and over again, people lose interest. Disney music had to evolve.

Contemporary music doesn't bother me here, and the argument for timelessness is, I think a little unnecessary for a show that is meant to be a temporary placeholder. If all the experts are correct, this show is not intended to last for a decade or more. It is not my favorite type of music, however it works well enough and the show seems like a huge upgrade at least as a spectacle over Wishes. I can't wait to see it live and judge for myself. I was never a huge fan of the moppets in Wishes either.

When I will cringe is when ROE gets replaced. That music is spectacular and they are going to be hard pressed to come up with something even close to it, much less supersede it.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I'm not saying it has to be constant.. I'm saying the standard of 'what people want now' is a poor one and has been proven (multiple times) to not be sufficient to last or establish itself as a place in what people think of when they hear Disney... and in many ways has proven to be a detriment.

Rap and Hip Hop have both been immensely popular and Disney has tried repeatedly to incorporate those styles and they fail miserably... not because Rap and Hip Hop aren't popular or good in their own right... but because they don't work for the image and expectation Disney has crafted as their brand.

Disney Analyst

I'm not saying it has to be constant.. I'm saying the standard of 'what people want now' is a poor one and has been proven (multiple times) to not be sufficient to last or establish itself as a place in what people think of when they hear Disney... and in many ways has proven to be a detriment.

Rap and Hip Hop have both been immensely popular and Disney has tried repeatedly to incorporate those styles and they fail miserably... not because Rap and Hip Hop aren't popular or good in their own right... but because they don't work for the image and expectation Disney has crafted as their brand.

But I would argue although the vocal stylings may be more modern, or pop, the actual music Disney has created with this show, at its core is still very classic Disney. Rap and Hip Hop just have never worked, because they don't embody even the littlest bit of what makes Disney music, Disney music.

I guess I am struggling trying to understand the critiques for the theme song of this show. Is it the vocal stylings people dislike? The lyrics? Because when I hear it, it's a fully orchestrated piece, with a classic Disney message and Disney song build-up, with a modern vocal.

I would say Disney's biggest musical stretch lately may have been Moana, which worked perfectly.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I guess I am struggling trying to understand the critiques for the theme song of this show. Is it the vocal stylings people dislike?

A very valid question... if I'm being perfectly honest, I REALLY dislike the "single" for "Happily Ever After" (I believe the one used after the fireworks). I'm just not a big fan of it and much of this has to do with the vocal styling. BUT, also, if I'm being honest, I really, REALLY don't like the "single" for "Wishes" (the music that definitely played after the fireworks):

The electronic music, the vocal styling... just now feel so... ugh... even the lyrics on the verses feel so campy. On the other hand, just like HAE, the way the song is incorporated into the main show... love it. Especially with the full choir involvement for both show and the full orchestral backing.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Hang on, is this all still in reference to the "Happily Ever After" theme song?

flynnibus

Premium Member
But I would argue although the vocal stylings may be more modern, or pop, the actual music Disney has created with this show, at its core is still very classic Disney. Rap and Hip Hop just have never worked, because they don't embody even the littlest bit of what makes Disney music, Disney music.

I guess I am struggling trying to understand the critiques for the theme song of this show. Is it the vocal stylings people dislike? The lyrics? Because when I hear it, it's a fully orchestrated piece, with a classic Disney message and Disney song build-up, with a modern vocal.

In the opening act I hear a typical piano piece with a duet... that fills to a piece that could just as easily be synth strings that falls into a usual tom drum beat with fills and cymbals. To me its the percussion line and tempo that stand out the most to me vs other songs we may look at as more Disney 'classical' sound. The short quick strings could easily be swapped out for guitar and the song wouldn't even change much. So while the orchestra fills the sound out and improves it.. it's not that part of the sound that defines it. To me its just the choice of how it was recorded... vs actually be spun around it.

Disney Analyst

A very valid question... if I'm being perfectly honest, I REALLY dislike the "single" for "Happily Ever After" (I believe the one used after the fireworks). I'm just not a big fan of it and much of this has to do with the vocal styling. BUT, also, if I'm being honest, I really, REALLY don't like the "single" for "Wishes" (the music that definitely played after the fireworks):

The electronic music, the vocal styling... just now feel so... ugh... even thelysics on the verses feel so campy. On the other hand, just like HAE, the way the song is incorporated into the main show... love it. Especially with the full choir involvement for both show and the full orchestral backing.

That's totally fair, they have a tendency to do that with the exit music... I always take it as the "we're playing this so you'll leave faster" music. I think the only exit song I've really enjoyed is the 50th anniversary exit at Disneyland.

Sir_Cliff

The electronic music, the vocal styling... just now feel so... ugh... even thelysics on the verses feel so campy. On the other hand, just like HAE, the way the song is incorporated into the main show... love it. Especially with the full choir involvement for both show and the full orchestral backing.

Good god! I think that's worse than Up With People!

SteamboatJoe

The Peabo Bryson version is slightly better IMO...but its still has some of same fundamental issues...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom