Wild Tiki Room Rumor

rlaeromech

Yes... they worked some real magic back when they dreamed up Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room! Ive seen all the other versions...was genuinely excited to see them too! BUT after seeing them, my conclusion (which seems to be the same conclusion as so many of you too!) is that the original show (modified as it is in Disneyland today) is as close to Perfect as we can aspire to in this day and age. I still give a personal Salute to the Imagineers who worked the Disneyland show into its present state... and I also applaud the Imagineers and management that seems poised to bring the DL show to WDW Orlando in the near future!
Thank you for listening to the many of us who love 'singing like the birdies sing!"

:sohappy: :wave: :sohappy: :wave: :sohappy:

I recently visited DL for the first time and have not seen the original at WDW since I was a kid, only the Iago version which was very annoying. I have to say I had low expectations for the DL original. I mean I thought, its just the Tiki Room, how could could it be. I left impressed, it was really nice. They did a great job except it makes the WDW version that much more below par.

While it'd probably be hard to create a truly variable show (although probably not impossible), I've always thought the Tiki Room and New Management stuff could be combined. Show the original version in the morning and early afternoon. Then have a ceremony in mid-afternoon where new owners come in, and run the "Under New Management" show in the evening.
That is quite an interesting idea. I suppose it is possible, but would Disney spend the money to run two shows? And then you'd have the problem of signage. It would probably be more hassel than actual worthwhile value; however, it could mean that guests would visit the attraction twice in one day rather than no times at all.

Kwit35

I would love to see a 'varied' Tiki Room Show. It seems very plausible to me. The old version was (in my opinion) so much better then the new show. It was easier on the ears. :) We have been to the new version twice since it opened. We hated it the first time, then tried it again to give it a second chance (thought it might grow on us...it didn't) Unless they change the show, we won't be back. The old version was a show we saw every time we went to Disney.

KingdomHeart

I have to chime in with the original show lovers. I find the new show inferior and down right annoying. The old show was, yes, dated, but this new version, is not an improved version. My vote goes to moving Ohana/Hawaii/Stitch into Adventure so it doesn't see so multicultural hodge-podge (cause, I agree, while being multicultural is great, not showing any difference, having it all run together, Tiki gods next to pirates next to magic carpets, etc it's just sloppy) and closing Stitch in Tomorrowland, putting something, oh I dunno, good. Just my two Disney dollars.
-Nicholas

yankspy

I have to chime in with the original show lovers. I find the new show inferior and down right annoying. The old show was, yes, dated, but this new version, is not an improved version. My vote goes to moving Ohana/Hawaii/Stitch into Adventure so it doesn't see so multicultural hodge-podge (cause, I agree, while being multicultural is great, not showing any difference, having it all run together, Tiki gods next to pirates next to magic carpets, etc it's just sloppy) and closing Stitch in Tomorrowland, putting something, oh I dunno, good. Just my two Disney dollars.
-Nicholas
In what way was the old show dated?

KingdomHeart

The music, animatronics, audio quality, etc. I don't think that that stuff needs to be thrown away -ever - I LOVE LOVE LOVE CoP, Small World, PPF, etc, but I think it needed a good update. I just was really unthrilled that the update meant yanking out the entire show and all of the magic of the Tropical Serenade. :(
-Nicholas

yankspy

The music, animatronics, audio quality, etc. I don't think that that stuff needs to be thrown away -ever - I LOVE LOVE LOVE CoP, Small World, PPF, etc, but I think it needed a good update. I just was really unthrilled that the update meant yanking out the entire show and all of the magic of the Tropical Serenade. :(
-Nicholas
Animatronics and audio quality I can see. I think the music itself was timeless. I think that is the genius of a lot of WDW music. After all, yo-ho and grim grinning ghosts are timeless tunes that are not tied to any one specific generation. I would say the same for the tiki tiki tiki room.:)

TinkerBell9988

Animatronics and audio quality I can see. I think the music itself was timeless. I think that is the genius of a lot of WDW music. After all, yo-ho and grim grinning ghosts are timeless tunes that are not tied to any one specific generation. I would say the same for the tiki tiki tiki room.:)

The original Tiki Room in Disneyland was refurbished for the 50th Anniversary of DL, and it looks faaaaaaaaar from outdated. :animwink:

Perhaps our Tiki Room needs that kind of treatment. The music is timeless, as yankspy stated. And if the AAs or effects are outdated, then a thorough refurb will do the trick, just like it worked in DL. :D

If they are going back to older attractions for the 40th they should can SGE and bring back AE. That was the best ride disney ever had. It was so freakin scary.

CarlHS

Bringing back the classics would be a pretty good way of keeping the costs down.

Use the old plans and get right to construction (after a cursory code review and update), and keeping a lot of rides down for long referbs will move workers off the payrolls.

We can paint one of each car gold (or what ever color 40th is).

The managment at WDW should eat this right up....

DisneyMusician2

As much as I loved the old show, it was playing to half-empty seats before they did the update. I can't say that I like the new show NEARLY as much, but it wasn't really doing well when they closed it.

The Tiki Room is all about nostalgia, which sells much better in DL with their local crowd.

jt04

The original Tiki Room in Disneyland was refurbished for the 50th Anniversary of DL, and it looks faaaaaaaaar from outdated. :animwink:

Perhaps our Tiki Room needs that kind of treatment. The music is timeless, as yankspy stated. And if the AAs or effects are outdated, then a thorough refurb will do the trick, just like it worked in DL. :D

:zipit:

puntagordabob

I recently visited DL for the first time and have not seen the original at WDW since I was a kid, only the Iago version which was very annoying. I have to say I had low expectations for the DL original. I mean I thought, its just the Tiki Room, how could could it be. I left impressed, it was really nice. They did a great job except it makes the WDW version that much more below par.

Yep.... the show at Disneyland is wonderful!!! I believe that they would do very well with this show being brought to WDW-Orlando in time for the MK 2011 Anniv.... Money well spent, AND considering the main elements of the original show are all there (with some exceptions like the fountian- that would need replacing or some other creative solution) still, the $$ to bring the DL show to WDW-Orlando's MK would be a fraction of the cost of a new show. Also consider the DL show will be "New" to a large % of WDW attendees while us "classic" aged people will love it too since we grew up with it. WIN-WIN.....for all.

I also agree with a previous poster who suggests a multi-show format (DL show and another one or two versions run at different times of day)... with the technology being the way it is today that this would be possible and also be a winner...

jt04

Yep.... the show at Disneyland is wonderful!!! I believe that they would do very well with this show being brought to WDW-Orlando in time for the MK 2011 Anniv.... Money well spent, AND considering the main elements of the original show are all there (with some exceptions like the fountian- that would need replacing or some other creative solution) still, the $$ to bring the DL show to WDW-Orlando's MK would be a fraction of the cost of a new show. Also consider the DL show will be "New" to a large % of WDW attendees while us "classic" aged people will love it too since we grew up with it. WIN-WIN.....for all.

I also agree with a previous poster who suggests a multi-show format (DL show and another one or two versions run at different times of day)... with the technology being the way it is today that this would be possible and also be a winner...

One of the new concepts I keep hearing about is the idea you mentioned of a multi-concept show. I was wondering also if it would be possible to have both a Stitch mode and a classic mode. It really is an interesting idea.

More interesting to me is if they did this with the Haunted Mansion. I know for a fact they toned down effects after the refurb because some thought they were too intense. I think it would be great though if they had a more intense experience during night time hours or special events. And with modern technology it should be as easy as pressing a switch to change show modes.

jedimaster1227

More interesting to me is if they did this with the Haunted Mansion. I know for a fact they toned down effects after the refurb because some thought they were too intense. I think it would be great though if they had a more intense experience during night time hours or special events. And with modern technology it should be as easy as pressing a switch to change show modes.

Supposidly, there were plans for this to happen with the last refurb, allowing for a night-time version of the attraction (which could also be easily updated for a seasonal overlay :animwink:) but due to budget reallocations, the money went into the incredible sound system overhaul that the entire mansion received, specifically reaching the updated Stretching Room, Attic, and Seance Room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom