What did you do?

Texas84

Had planned to take the weekend off for the Labor Day 10K but couldn't. Did 3 miles on Saturday with half mile sprints at race speed for a practice run. The storm dropped the morning temps into the 60s. Very nice.

Labor Day 10K this morning at 0830, 71F at start but the sun made it feel much hotter. The fire hose at mile 5 was a live saver! Ended up only two minutes off my PR. Surprised myself. Finished 15th in my age group but this is a big race. Happy with that.

dreamfinder

Sat was 4@8 outside with jogger. Sun was 3@2i@8, 6.8 in 24 min on bike, then 2@2i, 1@8, 1@7:30. Was shooting for a single long run but the knee/hip weren't playing nice. Mon 7@8:30, once again with jogger. Was planning on only 3ish, but DS fell asleep at mile one, and we all know to not wake a sleeping baby so I kept going til he woke up. As I've started to do more stretching and work a poor 4-5 pose yoga progression into each the routine I've discovered how unflexible I've become. Which would be the cause of my knee not playing nice. I knew I had regressed, but didn't know it was this far.

Glad to hear everyone survived the storm, and congrats to all who had races over the holiday weekend.

JillC LI

Nice running weekend for me. Temps cooled to the 60s so I was able to pick up the pace just a tad. Ran 7m on Saturday (longest post-knee-sprain) and another 6m on Monday.

Congrats to all the racers this weekend and glad Hermine didn't do too much damage to anyone here. I hate throwing up food that's gone bad from the fridge as well @LAKid53.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Thanks. The eye stayed south of us and we just got light rain. I can see the clouds rotating out my office window.

Glad to hear you missed it. The utility trucks just showed up on my street...hope that means I'm getting power in the next few hours. It's been a rough 5 days, to say the least. And the gym is finally up and running, so I'm back at it tomorrow. Never thought I'd say this, but a workout at the gym is preferable to the yard cleanup I've been doing the past 4 days. However, the smell of pine in the air from the dozens of downed pine trees has reminded me of the old Soarin' ride.

Should have scrapped college and gone into the tree removal business. One company in town is charging $3,000 an hour...yes, that's $3,000. :eek: I know lawyers who don't charge that much.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Nice running weekend for me. Temps cooled to the 60s so I was able to pick up the pace just a tad. Ran 7m on Saturday (longest post-knee-sprain) and another 6m on Monday.

Congrats to all the racers this weekend and glad Hermine didn't do too much damage to anyone here. I hate throwing up food that's gone bad from the fridge as well @LAKid53.

Thanks. It was tough throwing out all that wild Alaskan salmon, cod and halibut I'd bought at Costco the last couple of months and stored in my freezer. The seagulls at the landfill are going to have one heck of a feast.....

LAKid53

Premium Member
@LAKid53 - glad to hear that you came thru it relatively ok. And yes, you clearly did two days of cross-training

Thanks @Swissmiss. Sorry for not responding sooner, but I've been keeping my phone on airplane mode most of the time to conserve juice. Have a few of those portable battery chargers, but they only do 3-4 full charges each.

Hope your hip is getting better.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Well my friends, training actually works!

After running the 10K at an 8min/mile pace on Saturday, I was able to run the Dland Half at a 7:32min/mile pace for a finish time of 1:39mins.....a new personal record by almost 8 minutes!! And I felt great post race!! Thanks for everyones support.

Wow, congrats on the PR!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Ran again today on the treadmill and found that I was panting less already compared to Saturday so if I can at least do the first 10 km of the DLP half in an hour and a half, if necessary it gives me 2 hours to walk the rest. I set this as a goal for my golden birthday :rolleyes: so when I couldn't train this summer it was getting me down but now I feel confident I can at least finish it within the time. ;)

dreamfinder

2.66@2i@7:30. DS was up before 3 today, so I'm all sorts of cranky. He on the other hand went back down for a few hours once I went to work and is in a great mood.

Should have scrapped college and gone into the tree removal business. One company in town is charging $3,000 an hour...yes, that's $3,000. :eek: I know lawyers who don't charge that much.

And then they make even more money when they either sell the trees as logs, or the brush/branches as chipped mulch. They make money both ways.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Did a "quick" two miles this morning and then came home to do some yoga exercises for my hip. My pace is slowly getting faster each time I run and I'm getting less breathless as well. And in two weeks time I'll be boarding that train to DLP

dreamfinder

2.5@2i, neg splits on the .2 for the first mile, started out slow due to knee, once it felt ok down to 7:30 for the last 1.5

Did a "quick" two miles this morning and then came home to do some yoga exercises for my hip. My pace is slowly getting faster each time I run and I'm getting less breathless as well. And in two weeks time I'll be boarding that train to DLP

Good to hear. Just keep trucking and your pace will increase as will your general fitness level.

Last edited:

JillC LI

5 miles last night and despite the relative heat, I was surprised to have run faster than I have in about a year. Wonder what got into me. LOL.

LAKid53

Premium Member
After hour long workout with trainer to catch up on the sessions missed because of Hurricane Her Mean, did 25 minutes on the bike for 6.7 miles.

Found out gym didn't get power back until Monday, so my idea of going to the gym to take warm showers would have been a bust.

Got power back Tuesday afternoon and then the City took it away the next day at 7:00 PM, just as I was putting a chicken in the oven to roast. Didn't get it back until the following morning at 5:00 am. I thought some very unkind things about the City when I had to spend that night without A/C after relishing cool the night before. :mad:

Thank god I didn't buy a lot of groceries to replace the hundreds of dollars worth I tossed out over the weekend. Still had one cooler with icey water in it, so milk, juice and yogurt went back in, but sadly the chicken wouldn't have lasted, so another treat in the trash bin for the seagulls at the landfill... :(

But it felt good to hit the gym after days of clearing yard as exercise. Man, that oak limb was heavier than I thought...and my back objected when I tried to drag it to the curb. :p

Will be doing hour long sessions with trainer next week to catch up. Along with accelerating training for W&D half. But after what we've been through the past 8 days, that half will be nothing! Hope everyone in the storm's path as it moved up the coast are okay.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
6 miles this morning lakeside - tourist season should be over but had to dodge several groups crossing the bridge (though I should be honest, other than that there weren't many people on my route).

dreamfinder

10.5 outside yesterday. Overall pace ended up being about a 8:15, but I did about 6 mi road, 1 1/2 mi trail, then another 3 mi road, so it was all over the place. Bike today/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom