What did you do?

Kristia

20141102_074421.jpg
Today I did the Run The Bridge Run in Camden NJ. This is my 4th year doing this race and one of my slowest! I tried to take it a little easy on the ankle but luckily it felt fine. I finished 2 minutes slower than last year but 30 seconds faster than the first year I did it. Official time was 1:05:23 with a avg pace of 10:36. For the first time ever, my little sister beat me. Oh no!!! I can't believe I let that happen! :jawdrop::D She was ecstatic that she beat both Dan and I since that has never happened. It was sooooo freaking windy up on that bridge. The wind was blowing me sideways on the first mile. On the way back over, the wind had switched and it was, thankfully at our back. Running through the streets of Camden and along the waterfront were pretty brutal too. I was thinking of @LindsayLoves during the run and hoping she was fairing well during her marathon! I can not even imagine running a marathon with that wind!

Pre-run..sis, me and Dan
runthebridge.jpg

Along the waterfront

20141102_091928.jpg

20141102_091930.jpg

lukacseven

View attachment 72127 Today I did the Run The Bridge Run in Camden NJ. This is my 4th year doing this race and one of my slowest! I tried to take it a little easy on the ankle but luckily it felt fine. I finished 2 minutes slower than last year but 30 seconds faster than the first year I did it. Official time was 1:05:23 with a avg pace of 10:36. For the first time ever, my little sister beat me. Oh no!!! I can't believe I let that happen! :jawdrop::D She was ecstatic that she beat both Dan and I since that has never happened. It was sooooo freaking windy up on that bridge. The wind was blowing me sideways on the first mile. On the way back over, the wind had switched and it was, thankfully at our back. Running through the streets of Camden and along the waterfront were pretty brutal too. I was thinking of @LindsayLoves during the run and hoping she was fairing well during her marathon! I can not even imagine running a marathon with that wind!

Pre-run..sis, me and Dan
View attachment 72132

Along the waterfront

View attachment 72128
View attachment 72130
Great job!
I did the Bridge Run too! The wind on the bridge and along the water was brutal. This was my 6th time - always liked this race a lot. I'm torn as to which version of the course I like better - thank God the second half wound through the streets and not the whole way along the water like it did years ago. I ended up running most of the bridge segment with one hand covering my mouth (asthma) and the other holding onto my hat so it wouldn't blow off. This was my 5th race in 6 weeks of varying distances. Next up...Philly Marathon on the 23rd.

Kristia

@lukacseven It was crazy on the bridge! I had so much trouble trying to breath and I don't have asthma. I can't imagine what it was like for you! Good luck at the Philly Marathon! Hopefully it won't be as windy!

atrus79

So yesterday was the Princeton Half Marathon in Princeton, NJ ... start time was at 7am ... ugh! It was about 40ºF and gusty, much like it was across the rest of the NorthEast. Here is a brief race report with some pictures as well ...
IMG_6340.JPGThe race itself took you past homes of famous people in Princeton's history ... Albert Einstein, Grover Cleveland, Woodrow Wilson, Robert Oppenheimer to name a few and then from a historical standpoint, retraced Washington's steps from the Revolutionary War, through a battlefield and of course through Princeton university.
IMG_6343.JPGThe course itself was extremely hilly ... in fact it felt like we were going 'up' most of the race ... as you can see, this is within the first couple miles and was a 'small' hill compared to later ones. I can honestly say, I remember going downhill twice ... but I remember going uphill at least 8 times ... really weird!
IMG_6345.JPG The course was primarily a road course, but it did go 'off road' for a while as we ran through the battlefield. The problem was the drenching rain the day before made wet leaves and puddles a mess along this route. As you can see, there was quite a back log of people navigating this path, that at most could fit 2 people wide.
IMG_6359.JPG To keep it short, this is obviously the finisher medal. Considering the cold and the unexpected hills ... I'll take my 2 hour and 31 minute finish (11:37 p/mile pace). Looking at my splits, I was really unprepared for the hills ... the difference in splits are greater than 2 minutes in some cases ... you can tell I primarily train on flat surfaces after seeing the results. Not by best time by far, but I'll take it.

Overall, the race was a good experience. Besides the fact that it was cold and gusty (which the organizers could not control), the fan support was great and the water/gel station setup was fantastic. The race is only in its second year and restricted to 1,250 runners ... so it definitely has some time to mature. With that said, I think it also scares away runners ... they made it clear that the pace needed to be 14 minute miles or less (otherwise you would get carted back to start), so for runners who want to try it, but are first timers, it may deter the event from growing from that angle.

With Dopey 2 months away and knowing that other than exit ramps, there are few 'hills' in FL ;) I'm feeling good ... and given how good I feel today, I think I'm pretty close to being ready for the 48.6 mile challenge coming my way :)

atrus79

4.17 miles at a slower than normal 10:47 p/mile pace ... felt good to get the legs moving after Sunday ... broke up the lactic acid build up and feel really good overall :)

Hope all the other weekend racers are recovering well!

LindsayLoves

@Kristia - totally feel you about that wind on Sunday, the wind pushed me sideways several times on the Verrazano Bridge nearly making me trip myself twice. I thought my bib was going to get ripped off by the wind all you could hear was bibs shaking in the wind, fun but intense.

NYC Marathon is now in the books - 3:57:14. Overall 12800 out of 50266 finishers, 2834 among women. Everything you have heard about this race is true, it should be on everyones bucket list because it was the most intense and gratifying experience I've had as a runner.
And before you ask, yes it was windy, they didn't put up a lot of signage on the course to notify you of upcoming water stops, aid stations, etc. because of the wind hazard so basically all the water stations were a bit of a surprise about 20 feet before you reached them. With 50,000 runners it was not easy seeing too far ahead of you as the course was packed everywhere except for 1st Ave where it was super wide.
Speaking of the crowds... Before going into the race I told myself not to expend energy bobbing and weaving through the crowds which really put me at the mercy of the pace of those around me and no one was going the pace I wanted to run so my first few miles were definitely slower than I wanted. Plus it was super easy to get caught up in the crowds, they were amazing and so loud, I spent more time focusing on them than the race. There are a lot of hard 90 degree turns in this race and they were rough, everyone wanted to run tangents so they would funnel towards the turns and slow down dramatically because you were literally clipping the heels of the person in front of you I came close to walking on some of the corners it was so tight.
I fueled properly and never hit the wall which was great because a lot of people who were in the >3:45 groups were walking by mile 17 so I passed a lot of folks in the last few miles. With all the training I did on hills my legs were on fire the last 2 miles on some slow grinding inclines, including the uphill finish line, where I was literally gritting my teeth trying to get my legs to move faster but I felt like I was pushing so hard and going SO slow.

I didn't hit my goal time but I am very happy with the race I ran on Sunday and have no regrets. I do have some thoughts on training changes and race strategy that I would implement for the next time around. I guess I now officially start my Dopey training. Eek!

Thanks for the support and well wishes, if you didn't know already you are all such a great supportive group and I appreciate all your feedback throughout the year.

JillC LI

@Kristia - totally feel you about that wind on Sunday, the wind pushed me sideways several times on the Verrazano Bridge nearly making me trip myself twice. I thought my bib was going to get ripped off by the wind all you could hear was bibs shaking in the wind, fun but intense.

NYC Marathon is now in the books - 3:57:14. Overall 12800 out of 50266 finishers, 2834 among women. Everything you have heard about this race is true, it should be on everyones bucket list because it was the most intense and gratifying experience I've had as a runner.

With all the training I did on hills my legs were on fire the last 2 miles on some slow grinding inclines, including the uphill finish line, where I was literally gritting my teeth trying to get my legs to move faster but I felt like I was pushing so hard and going SO slow.

I didn't hit my goal time but I am very happy with the race I ran on Sunday and have no regrets. I do have some thoughts on training changes and race strategy that I would implement for the next time around. I guess I now officially start my Dopey training. Eek!

Thanks for the support and well wishes, if you didn't know already you are all such a great supportive group and I appreciate all your feedback throughout the year.

Congratulations Lindsay! It truly is a memorable race, isn't it. The crowd support is like nothing you've ever experienced before. I am not surprised you nearly lost your footing on the Bridge with those cross-winds. I hope you are not unhappy that you went a bit slower than your goal. I heard that because of the winds it was the slowest marathon finish for the elites since 1984, and that was because of the heat back then.

Btw, I also trained hills but all those rolling streets in NYC took it out of me. When I crossed the Finish Line, the only thing I felt at first was relief. After awhile, joy kicked in too :)

LindsayLoves

@Kristia - I am super proud of the race I ran and while I did want to get a bit closer to 3:50 than I did I have no regrets, marathons are hard stuff. This was my first time "racing" a marathon, I learned a lot to take with me the next time around.

@Texas84 - Dopey training... I plan to get out this weekend to see how my legs are feeling. I am going to try to stick to a similar plan/pattern that I was on before this race because that had some good back to back running and doing long runs on tired legs which I think will be crucial for Dopey.
I will be doing a "reverse taper" of sorts, so starting back up with an 8 mile long run next weekend and then going to 12 the following weekend and building from there. December 11th-14th is my Dopey trial.

@JillC LI - Thank you! The crowds were amazing, particularly in Brooklyn. Despite all my hill training finishing a race with 1700ft of elevation gain was no piece of cake. I was grunting my way up that final hill.

Kristia

Getting ready to head over to the W&D Half. Sprinkling here with a forecast of rain for the evening. Hoping that it doesn't get too bad!

a2grafix

Soon after completing my seventh half marathon in less than two years (getting the hang of this thing called distance running), I did something stupid. I didn't do a recovery run. The day after my PRed half in Ohio I started a 12-day work week between my main job and had military duty the following weekend. I got a much needed deep tissue runner's massage but failed to take advantage of great weather and did not run. My back ended up tightening and ended up having a mixture of lower back muscle and discogenic pain. After a doctor's visit, a foam roller purchase I finally got back on the road to train for my next half marathon in December.

After working back to back 12-day work weeks with two military drill weekends thrown in for good measure, ran twice in the past week - Nov. 3 for about 2 miles and today, Sunday, for 4.5 miles in just under 50 minutes. I can still feel discomfort but for the most part I feel strong. My strides are short and I'm taking it easy but still trying to strengthen my core. Dearly need it. These meds though are really loosening up the lower back muscles and at times I can pop my spine. Before the meds, nope.

Last edited:

JillC LI

How's @joel_maxwell and @Donald Duck doing? Been a long time since I've seen them around. Hope all is well.

Steve - Joel seems to lay low with social media nowadays. Nick is active on FB and the other day posted something cryptic which seems to indicate that he plans to run the Silverton 1000 mile in 297 days.

@a2grafix I hope you feel better.

Congrats to all the WIne & Dine runners this past weekend! Wish I was there.

As for me, I ran 7 miles Saturday morning at a leisurely pace after watching my son take first place in his age division in our town's annual 10K. Last year he took first place in the 14 and Under group, and I was shocked when he reclaimed his title as one of the youngest runners in the 15-19 year old division with a time of 43:01 (pace 6:56). Blew me away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom