What did you do?

atrus79

4.36 miles at a 10:19 p/mile pace ... felt great.

Friday I decided that my leg/knee problem was related to my shoes ... they had about 391 miles on them and being Nike Free's (minimalist), that was a lot of wear for those types of shoes. Decided to go to Road Runners and get 'Shoe Dogged'. Found out I was a size to small, that my left ankle buckles out a bit when I land on it and that my best shoe type is neutral not minimalist. Ended up with custom soles and two pair of new Brooks Ghosts (two due to the 4 days of running for the Dopey) ... they felt great on their first run today! :)

atrus79

Curious: Anyone had their foot get bigger after a few years of running? Wonder if I should get sized again.

That's what happened with me ... I was told the constant pounding 'flattens' your foot out in some ways, so it can get longer or wider depending on the person and their weight. In my case, my foot got longer I a 12 shoes size and got a 13 running shoe ... on Saturday when I was measured (with no running at all), I clearly saw one big toe at size 13 and one big toe over the line at 13. They pushed me up to a 14 for running since the foot swells so much ... especially long distances. If it's been a while I'd get measured ... my gap was only 2 years.

bethram

5.2 this morning, I've got about 190 more miles to get in before the end of the year to meet my 1000 mile goal. My pace is a lot slower than it ever has been since I've been keeping track, but I'm getting it done.

Sorry I've been so scarce the last couple months, between kids, puppies, school work, football practice, and dh traveling I wasn't very motivated to run for a while and I didn't have any time in the morning to post like I used to. I've come to realize that I miss this board and the camaraderie and support here and I don't have to remember to post every morning, I just have to get here when I can.

DH and I ran the Tower of Terror a couple weeks ago and we had a great time. It was his first distance race and he'd only run a 10k once before, I'm so proud of him for finishing and for meeting his goals! As for me, I wasn't as prepared for it as I usually am for a race thanks to my lack of motivation to run, so I went into it with a totally different mindset than normal. I started back in E with DH instead of B like I'd been placed, ran 0.85 of the first mile with him, then set off on my own race. I stopped for pictures with four characters, which was huge for me since normally once I start running I don't stop until I'y I cm finished. I had a great time and I'm really glad I ran the race the way I did. Plus one of the best parts about the trip was that we left the kids at home for six nights :D

I just read the last couple pages but there is no way I could read the 20+ pages that have accumulated since I last posted. I hope everyone is doing ok and nothing major has happened. I also hope I can actually stay around for a bit before life gets to hectic again :p

LindsayLoves

@bethram - Nice to hear from you. You are so super close to your goal for the year. Glad you had a nice kid free time at ToT!

@Texas84 - my foot has definitely gotten bigger, which I noticed two years ago over Disney marathon weekend when my shoes were not just tight because of swelling but also not long enough in the toe. I used to be more of an 8-8.5 and now I am 8.5-9. In my mother's very unscientific opinion its because of the running. For running shoes I always go up to 9 for a little extra space in the toe box, haven't lost a toe nail yet (knocks on wood)

I have been busy tapering, all my runs during the week have been between 3-6 miles and this past weekend was a lovely 8 miler. Just trying to focus on staying healthy and getting to the start line on Sunday in the best condition possible. I have already started laying out my gear for Sunday and I am *trying* not to freak out about the prediction of snow on Saturday evening and 30 mph winds on race day.

Thursday - bib pick up
Friday - walking in the marathon opening ceremony parade. I am doing this with two co-workers through our job because we are a major charity partner for the marathon.
Saturday my parents come into town and Sunday I race.

ps- 72 days until Dopey starts :eek:

Kristia

@bethram - Nice to hear from you. You are so super close to your goal for the year. Glad you had a nice kid free time at ToT!

@Texas84 - my foot has definitely gotten bigger, which I noticed two years ago over Disney marathon weekend when my shoes were not just tight because of swelling but also not long enough in the toe. I used to be more of an 8-8.5 and now I am 8.5-9. In my mother's very unscientific opinion its because of the running. For running shoes I always go up to 9 for a little extra space in the toe box, haven't lost a toe nail yet (knocks on wood)

I have been busy tapering, all my runs during the week have been between 3-6 miles and this past weekend was a lovely 8 miler. Just trying to focus on staying healthy and getting to the start line on Sunday in the best condition possible. I have already started laying out my gear for Sunday and I am *trying* not to freak out about the prediction of snow on Saturday evening and 30 mph winds on race day.

Thursday - bib pick up
Friday - walking in the marathon opening ceremony parade. I am doing this with two co-workers through our job because we are a major charity partner for the marathon.
Saturday my parents come into town and Sunday I race.

ps- 72 days until Dopey starts :eek:
Good luck!!! Can't wait to hear about it!

JillC LI

Curious: Anyone had their foot get bigger after a few years of running? Wonder if I should get sized again.

Not from running but from two pregnancies :) Bummer all the pretty shoes I had that I can no longer wear!

@bethram welcome back! You're gonna hit that goal! I'm glad you enjoy ToT with your hubby.

As for me, 4.45 miles last night at 9:50 pace.

Just trying to focus on staying healthy and getting to the start line on Sunday in the best condition possible. I have already started laying out my gear for Sunday and I am *trying* not to freak out about the prediction of snow on Saturday evening and 30 mph winds on race day.

I hadn't heard snow was predicted Sunday. I will do my anti-snow dance (but my cool comfy weather dance) for you. Good luck and enjoy! I do most of my training runs and even some races with headphones but I strongly suggest you not wear on Sunday because the fan support is so intense and worth experiencing. I remember that I gave so many high-fives in the first few miles that my arms were getting tired, so I had to switch to giving a subtle thumbs up and a smile to everyone who offered a hand for a high-five. LOL

bethram

Thank you @LindsayLoves and @JillC LI for the warm welcome backs! Lindsay, what marathon are you running this weekend?

I ran 4.4 this morning with a couple hills. I don't think I've run my hills course since last spring so I ran half of it today and will run that once a week for a couple weeks before I jump back up to my hills normal course. DH is out of town again so I won't run again until Friday morning, then I know we are planning to hang out with our neighbors after trick or treating on Friday so I won't get my long run in until Sunday morning.

Kristia

Arrggghhh! Add me to the list of injuries although I am hoping mine isn't too bad and will resolve itself in a couple days. I was loading hay from a hay wagon into our trailer and went to step onto the trailer from the wagon and missed. I ended up stepping between them instead and rolled my ankle and hit my shin on the trailer. Luckily, I think it is just a minor sprain since it is only a little swollen and a bit sore. I have a 10k this Sunday and I am hoping it will be fine by then. If not, then I will be resting it till the W&D. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Totally my fault, as I was not paying attention.

dreamfinder

Yesterday and today were a bit different than normal. Trying to rehab the knee a bit, so only did a mile, then did some hip/glute work, then 10 mins on bike, then some core work. Yesterday mile was @8, today was 1 incline, @7. Kicked up the bike a notch as well. I've definitely felt it in the knee/hip lately, so trying to work on bringing those back up some.

Well, it definitely gets bigger short term due to running. Hence why most running stores suggest you come in at the end of the day after walking around all day, or at least after a few mile run so your feet are swelled.

@bethram - NYC Marathon, just me and 50,000 of my nearest and dearest.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone.

Good luck in NYC! Wave when you run across the bridge so we can see you. = p

JillC LI

Ugh @Kristia. Wear an ankle support for the race if you feel the slightest twinge. After my ankle surgery, I ran with an ankle brace for nearly a year, including for the NYC Marathon. It really helped, and I stopped using it once I felt my ankle's full strength had returned. If it's more than a twinge, perhaps sit out this 10K.

@LindsayLoves, I heard the dreaded S word in the weather report as well for this weekend. Snow or not, it's going to be COOOOOLD in the Start area for all those hours of waiting. Make sure you bring gloves and a hat and lots of layers that you can shed. And a clear plastic bag to sit on the ground if it's wet.

atrus79

4.23 miles today at a 10:38 p/mile pace.

As mentioned above, not happy about the possibility for snow this weekend. The Princeton Half Marathon I'm running is on Sunday morning starting at 7am ... it will be frigid! I guess the only compensation is that I can run it, get home and get cleaned up and watch the NYC marathon on TV ;)

Good luck this weekend @LindsayLoves !

bethram

Arrggghhh! Add me to the list of injuries although I am hoping mine isn't too bad and will resolve itself in a couple days. I was loading hay from a hay wagon into our trailer and went to step onto the trailer from the wagon and missed. I ended up stepping between them instead and rolled my ankle and hit my shin on the trailer. Luckily, I think it is just a minor sprain since it is only a little swollen and a bit sore. I have a 10k this Sunday and I am hoping it will be fine by then. If not, then I will be resting it till the W&D. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Totally my fault, as I was not paying attention.
I hope it feels better quickly! I can understand wanting to run a race you've been looking forward to and paid for, but don't push it. You don't want to make it worse for W&D!

dreamfinder

Today was pretty much the same as yesterday. Mixed up the core stuff and did some more reps for the hips and glutes, but 7min mile on TM and 10min on bike.

Kristia

I hope it feels better quickly! I can understand wanting to run a race you've been looking forward to and paid for, but don't push it. You don't want to make it worse for W&D!
I think it is going to be ok. My foot just feels a little tight but I don't feel any instability. Going to rest till Saturday and take a slow jog to test it out. I will be careful though!

atrus79

With the half marathon on Sunday, wanted a nice slow paced run in ... 3.87 miles with a 11:37p/mile pace ... felt great. Only worry for Sunday is the cold/wind they are predicting ... I sweat quite a bit, so I'm hoping that the wind isn't to raw. Oh well ... see you on the other side! I'll try to take a picture of Einstein's house while running ;)

JillC LI

I had to go out and run 7 miles in this horrible windstorm the NY Metropolitan area is experiencing this NYC Marathon Sunday. It's insane! It's constant 20-30mph winds with gusts over 50mph. When the gusts hit me from behind mid stride, I felt airborne. But when they hit me head on, it was like a brick wall. Worse. One gust was so strong that I had to grab a parking meter just to stand my ground. And I felt the meter moving! Crazy for those marathoners. Thinking of you @LindsayLoves!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom