WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

Blairnicol

One fun little antidote on the Poppins cake: after our dinner was done at Narcoossee around 11pm, we hopped on a boat over to MK in our cute dinner wear carrying the cake. We had a FP+ for Peter Pan & then road Jungle Cruise. Afterwards we shopped on Main St. then sat on the curb & watched the Kiss Goodnight while eating more cake. It was awesome. The security guards and the JC skippers really had a good time w/the fact that we were toting a cake around MK. It's a top 3 WDW memory for me.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I feel a bit ashamed. I was active & then life happened. Well, Disney, life, Disney, life, Disney & now life again. So I'm going to post the pics of my "wedding cake" from our Disneymoon that I promised back in Sep2014. :oops: I will go back & catch up on all that I missed. I'll try not to be so neglectful in the future. :p

Pat seemed a little rushed & that's fine. She has lots to do. My only concern was trying to get a pic of Stitch popping out of the cake. Anyone who's had a magic shot taken knows what it looks like. I had to google, save & email it to her. Turns out it's not something the bakeries can do since they don't have all-access to any Disney image.

A bit weird, but Pat came through with something that was just a cute to me. The cake was only $65. She quoted $60 for a 3 layer 8", but that was with a printed pic, not the 2D cut out. Also, given that she added a beautiful flower & lights? I was ecstatic at the results. Filling was 1/2 Bavarian Cream & 1/2 Caramel Milk Chocolate Mousse. I did ask for "Happily Ever After" to be written on the cake. Having it on a piece of white chocolate that I got to peel off & eat was such a bonus. It was supposed to serve 8, but we noshed on it every night for over 2 weeks. (It even made it home!) The server at Narcoossee's actually left it off the bill. She was so thankful that we asked to have it added on. (I don't think that normally happens.) It was a bit funny, but she initially told us that it was on there when we brought it to her attention.

View attachment 95211 View attachment 95212 View attachment 95213 View attachment 95214 View attachment 95215

Oh trust me...I know all about life happening.

I think the Stitch is adorable! I'm envious! That's the kind of Stitch imagery I would have liked to see on my last cake. Interesting that the cake was more than the quote...seems to be happening a bit of late. Also interesting that it wasn't initially on the bill. I'm glad to see they were willing to do a filling combo. I did that for one of ours and it was our best tasting cake. Thanks for posting :)

Back from our trip! We had two cakes this trip, one that I ordered & one that my friend's husband ordered.

First is from the GF Bakery. 6" vanilla with vanilla buttercream & strawberry & custard filling. It was delish. I had been quoted $85 for this (with a white chocolate carousel on top) but was charged $92. I think they ended up doing just one horse plus the poppy because it was such a small cake. I was suprised that this resulted in an up-charge vs a slight decrease in price. Either way I was thrilled with the results & so was my friend.View attachment 95419

The second cake was a sweet surprise from my friend's husband. But I do wish he would had kept me in the loop on this one. He had it delivered to our reservation at the Garden Tea Room...where all the options include dessert. So unfortunately this never got eaten! We both felt very wasteful, but we were sooooo full (and my friend wasn't into digging into it late at night-although I TOTALY would have!!) I believe this was standard 6" $20-something cake with vanilla cake & vanilla buttercream, but I did not ask.View attachment 95420

I like the cake, but interesting with the price above the quote. I mean, it's not a huge difference, but still. Also curious that they said carousel, but did 1 horse. Either way- I think it turned out nicely. It's too bad that you weren't able to eat the 2nd cake. Yeah- I would have been all for late night cake, but I guess it's not for everyone.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
One fun little antidote on the Poppins cake: after our dinner was done at Narcoossee around 11pm, we hopped on a boat over to MK in our cute dinner wear carrying the cake. We had a FP+ for Peter Pan & then road Jungle Cruise. Afterwards we shopped on Main St. then sat on the curb & watched the Kiss Goodnight while eating more cake. It was awesome. The security guards and the JC skippers really had a good time w/the fact that we were toting a cake around MK. It's a top 3 WDW memory for me.

I've wanted to do this with cake, but never toted one around. I really should at some point...that sounds like so much fun :D

ladyelenawf

Oh trust me...I know all about life happening.
I think the Stitch is adorable! I'm envious! That's the kind of Stitch imagery I would have liked to see on my last cake. Interesting that the cake was more than the quote...seems to be happening a bit of late. Also interesting that it wasn't initially on the bill. I'm glad to see they were willing to do a filling combo. I did that for one of ours and it was our best tasting cake. Thanks for posting :)

I didn't know you were in Houston! Everything end up okay?

On a smaller note, I didn't mind the up charge given all the info I was armed with about the white chocolate scroll & 2D pic. Also, finding out how much the lights were worth? I feel like I lucked out. I'm considering going to CA Grill just to get a cake from Chef Brian. It's going to be my Mom & I, so I don't know if the cake will make it all the way back to TN & then to SC. :oops: I think it might be worth attempting.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I didn't know you were in Houston! Everything end up okay?

On a smaller note, I didn't mind the up charge given all the info I was armed with about the white chocolate scroll & 2D pic. Also, finding out how much the lights were worth? I feel like I lucked out. I'm considering going to CA Grill just to get a cake from Chef Brian. It's going to be my Mom & I, so I don't know if the cake will make it all the way back to TN & then to SC. :oops: I think it might be worth attempting.

Thank you for thinking of us. We were spared with the flooding, but sadly, a number of my friends/coworkers were not so lucky.

They definitely did do some nice add ons for the cake. I do love working with Chef Brian, and we've had a number of trips where there was leftover cake a the end that went to waste. Still, it was worth it to us.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Sorry...I've been so bad with updates lately. Work was busy, end of the year stuff with school and family in town have been keeping me a bit preoccupied.

First up...some cake drama. Pictured below is a Boba Fett cake that was made by a Disney bakery. Someone was trying to get the Contemporary to make a similar cake, but they're claiming they don't have rights to all Star Wars characters. The person settled for a different character, but this was the cake in question. I swear, I will never understand how Disney can parade Boba Fett around during Star Wars weekends and produce a movie, but can't put him on a cake.

BobaFettCake.JPG

Next up is an example of a Jack NBC cake that the Contemporary said they could make for $149. The person was initially looking for a 2-tier...pinstripe one for Jack and patchwork other for Sally. Quote on the 2-tier option was $240, but this is the $149 option...

Jackcake.jpg

Now, a more simple cake...more of a stock cake with edible Jedi Mickey. It was quoted at $60, but wound up being $90 due to a bunch of issues with a canceled ADR, delivery fees, and some other communication issues.

mickeyjedicake.jpg

This one is a Lion King cake from AKL's bakery. $40...$53 after delivery/gratuity.

lionkingcake.jpg

Next up...a super cute Peter Pan cake. Based on the glasses, I think this is WCC...which would make this the Contemporary bakery. No price info.

peterpancake 1.jpg

peterpancake2.jpg

Now, this next one is NOT a Disney made cake...HOWEVER, I'm sharing it because I think it would be a really nice idea for a cake.

dalmation concept.jpg

Next...a Minnie cake from the Contemporary bakery...8" for $106.

Minnie cake.jpg
minnie cake cut.jpg

This next cake is a mash up of concepts...golf, their dog, team colors, and Disney. Not sure on the cost, but it's from the Contemporary bakery.

dogcake.jpg

***this is just part 1 of the post.Stay tuned for part 2!

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Part 2

I loooooooooooooove this mini wedding cake! Made by the Contemporary bakery and delivered to the Plaza.

mickey mini cake.jpg

Next is a 6" Up themed cake from the Contemporary...$89

up cake.jpg

$135 for this small (but not mini) wedding cake from the GF bakery. Very Cinderella-ish to me.

small wedding.jpg

Now a handful of cakes from the wedding blog.

This first one is very formal...not my thing...but if it's yours, you can obviously incorporate this concept into your cake.

81cf2543fd794a69eb815ea39abbc7c7.jpg

A cute Vinylmation concept...

d649db92393cde658b5c7c41f6987c5a.jpg

Steampunk...

303c1bdcb80a525868395456a084972d.jpg

cadf8db4f4958dfb3c3d3a42647e1296.jpg

Love this split cake! Batman is DC, so you probably couldn't do this for anything but a wedding, yet they would probably be willing for a Marvel character.

43cda9a690ec577c18aab5356221664e.jpg

I think this may be a groom's cake, but we've got a firefighter Mickey theme going here...

a091043faf006393fd9911193cbe22ce.jpg

c8abb7d2e5e5d1e6c88fb7ec1782335c.jpg

That's all for now!!! Thanks for reading :)

Blairnicol

Thank you for thinking of us. We were spared with the flooding, but sadly, a number of my friends/coworkers were not so lucky.
I'm in Austin-it's just crazy! I actually got stuck at WDW trying to come back on Memorial Day because of the flooding. My house & business was ok, but my parent's house flooded & there are areas near by that are just devastated. Can't stop thinking about the family that was swept away in Wimberly. So heartbreaking. Glad your family made it through!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I'm in Austin-it's just crazy! I actually got stuck at WDW trying to come back on Memorial Day because of the flooding. My house & business was ok, but my parent's house flooded & there are areas near by that are just devastated. Can't stop thinking about the family that was swept away in Wimberly. So heartbreaking. Glad your family made it through!

My FIL is just north of Austin, in Georgetown. Thankfully, all is OK with him. The story out of Wimberly was just awful! I'm sorry your parents are having to deal with the nightmare from the flooding. I hear the horror stories at work and see them coming across Facebook from friends and it's just so much. More rain this weekend too. It's a far cry from how things were around this time in 2011.

JDMom

Here are the cakes I picked up from the Boardwalk Bakery Monday. The graduation cake was vanilla with vanilla mousse filling. A HUGE hit!! The anniversary was vanilla with strawberry mousse...not such a hit. No one liked the strawberry mousse. Wish we had gone with chocolate filling. Both cakes were very moist. Both 8 inches and both $40 each. I added the cupcakes picks.
b9e0070f-9cfc-4549-9543-8e63f8d0dba9.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Here are the cakes I picked up from the Boardwalk Bakery Monday. The graduation cake was vanilla with vanilla mousse filling. A HUGE hit!! The anniversary was vanilla with strawberry mousse...not such a hit. No one liked the strawberry mousse. Wish we had gone with chocolate filling. Both cakes were very moist. Both 8 inches and both $40 each. I added the cupcakes picks.
b9e0070f-9cfc-4549-9543-8e63f8d0dba9.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

Cute!!! I was wondering about the strawberry mousse as I'd heard mixed reviews, but I also know everyone's tastes are different. Well, I guess at least the other cake was a hit and the picks look adorable! :)

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
image.jpg
I still have yet to post my cake from 2013 (need to load the pics in my phone again or laptop) for my DH's birthday, BUT here is our anniversary cake from 2014 that Chef Brian did for us to deliver to California Grill. 8" Red Velvet with White Chocolate Mousse filling and buttercream icing under the fondant. The cost was around $150.

Sorry for the pic quality! Tried with flash and no flash and these were the best I could get. Does not do this beautifully detailed cake justice! The dark red/almost Black roses are all made of sugar and everything was edible. The haunted mansion wallpaper is the background that is hard to see in these pics.
This cake was worth every penny! :)

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
View attachment 97356 I still have yet to post my cake from 2013 (need to load the pics in my phone again or laptop) for my DH's birthday, BUT here is our anniversary cake from 2014 that Chef Brian did for us to deliver to California Grill. 8" Red Velvet with White Chocolate Mousse filling and buttercream icing under the fondant. The cost was around $150.

Sorry for the pic quality! Tried with flash and no flash and these were the best I could get. Does not do this beautifully detailed cake justice! The dark red/almost Black roses are all made of sugar and everything was edible. The haunted mansion wallpaper is the background that is hard to see in these pics.
This cake was worth every penny! :)

View attachment 97347
View attachment 97348 View attachment 97349 View attachment 97350 View attachment 97351 View attachment 97352 View attachment 97354

They do such a great job on their Haunted Mansion cakes! I also love that the Disney bakeries follow one of my cardinal rules of caking...it should all be edible. Thanks for sharing :)

Anna_Minnie44

So, hi everyone! I found this thread about a month ago and got a little inspired from it. Literally landed back home this morning (yay for 8 hour international flights, ugh), so I don't have a picture of the cake I ordered just yet, but I can relay my experience for anyone outside of the US looking to order a cake!

My parents (apologies, I'm not yet savvy on the DH/D/S shorthand yet) are celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary this year, so I decided to order them a little something for our dinner reservation at Sanaa. I initially called the number for the AKL, but then someone mentioned a few pages back they can't ring international numbers back. I panicked a little but then threw caution to the wind and just rang the generic 0800 number listed on the bottom of the website. They patched me straight through to the AKL with very little hold time and I got to make my order then and there, no fuss. 8" silver fondant vanilla cake with chocolate filling, happy 25th anniversary wording and the white chocolate Mickey and Minnie figurine swiftly ordered, and the lady on the phone even confirmed with the chef they could do it all during our conversation because I was international and wouldn't be able to ring again.

Needless to say I was totally impressed, and the look on my mum's face when she saw it was priceless. The cake was gorgeous and tasted divine!! We had late night cake and breakfast cake and 'keep the worms at bay before dinner' cake (it was three layers underneath the fondant! That's a lot for 5 people also on the dining plan!) Unfortunately Mickey, Minnie and the writing had to be left behind because we wouldn't have been allowed to get them through customs, but as soon as I get the pictures off my camera I will post them up on here!!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, hi everyone! I found this thread about a month ago and got a little inspired from it. Literally landed back home this morning (yay for 8 hour international flights, ugh), so I don't have a picture of the cake I ordered just yet, but I can relay my experience for anyone outside of the US looking to order a cake!

My parents (apologies, I'm not yet savvy on the DH/D/S shorthand yet) are celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary this year, so I decided to order them a little something for our dinner reservation at Sanaa. I initially called the number for the AKL, but then someone mentioned a few pages back they can't ring international numbers back. I panicked a little but then threw caution to the wind and just rang the generic 0800 number listed on the bottom of the website. They patched me straight through to the AKL with very little hold time and I got to make my order then and there, no fuss. 8" silver fondant vanilla cake with chocolate filling, happy 25th anniversary wording and the white chocolate Mickey and Minnie figurine swiftly ordered, and the lady on the phone even confirmed with the chef they could do it all during our conversation because I was international and wouldn't be able to ring again.

Needless to say I was totally impressed, and the look on my mum's face when she saw it was priceless. The cake was gorgeous and tasted divine!! We had late night cake and breakfast cake and 'keep the worms at bay before dinner' cake (it was three layers underneath the fondant! That's a lot for 5 people also on the dining plan!) Unfortunately Mickey, Minnie and the writing had to be left behind because we wouldn't have been allowed to get them through customs, but as soon as I get the pictures off my camera I will post them up on here!!

So glad it worked out for you! I know it can be tough to order a cake from outside of the US, but it sounds like things really came together. And I totally commend you for having late night cake and breakfast cake with the leftovers. Reminds me of my cake picnics I had each day last trip with my leftover cake. Can't wait to see the pics!!!

Last edited:

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
They do such a great job on their Haunted Mansion cakes! I also love that the Disney bakeries follow one of my cardinal rules of caking...it should all be edible. Thanks for sharing :)
Agree and your very welcome!! I really need to get more close up pics I had taken of the cake you helped me with in 2013. I had only posted one pic that you could not see all the great details of the entire cake with Snow White and grumpy. Even Snow White herself came specially to our table (seperate from when she came and did her rounds earlier that night) to tell us how flattered she was etc when she saw out cake in the kitchen. So cute! Several of the kitchen staff/chef came out to tell us how much they loved the cake too. I know that was almost 2
Years ago but thanks again for helping me with that design for my DH's birthday. It was a big hit that night at CRT. :)

RobnRachal

Haven't been on in while to update but I'm happy to report it looks like a decision was made and my daughter's grad cake has been ordered. Waiting to hear back with confirmation. I will definitely be posting pictures. Cake is scheduled for next Saturday :D Of course it's a surprise but I'm about to bust outta my skin I'm so excited!!! CAN NOT WAIT to see the end result. I'm thinking I need to chill a bit because there has been bad experiences with "fallen" cakes, etc. But if she doesn't know about it then it can't be that bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom