WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I think it must depend on where you get the cake. Since I ordered it from the Epcot baking team and they serve many different restaurants, I suppose it is easy to pre-make popular cakes. In hindsight, I should have got a clue when the person taking the order over the phone, told me it only comes in red or blue mickeys.

I don't know. The Contemporary bakery was using that same model for this cake style for a while...i.e. offering very little customization beyond a buttercream version of the Mickey delight (which is what this is). Still, it would make sense to make them in advance if they're offering little to no variety. Either way, I'm sorry the cake didn't taste fresh :(

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
OK, I know I've been awful about posts lately, but work and life have just been crazy busy. Before I get into pretty cake pictures, I have some of my own cake news. As some of you know, I was booked for my bday brunch at 1900 PF and was going to work with the GF bakery on my cake. It seemed like the perfect place for a Cheshire Cat themed cake, I'd get to see the castle- even if from afar, monorail time, it's one of the most reasonable character meals, and it's my 2nd fave character meal behind CP. Well, it crossed my mind that getting in and out of the MK area is far more time consuming, the wait at 1900 is often pretty bad, and for whatever reason...I just wasn't feeling it. It then hit me...everyone always says that you'll really miss Epcot when you go to Disneyland. Now, we're not going into the park, but if I picked a meal at one of the Epcot resorts, I might get some of that Epcot area vibe. So, I changed our ADR to Cape May. The other good news...this means I get my fave...Donald Duck. I haven't finalized my plan, but I have 2 solid Donald cake ideas that I'm working on blending. So, barring any unforeseen issues, the YC/BC bakery will be in charge of my cake.

OK, enough about me! On to the cakes :)

We start off with an hombre ruffle wedding cake. I still haven't seen anyone order a custom cake in ruffles like this, but I think the concept would lend itself well to a princess cake. This one was made at Disneyland, but I'm pretty sure we've seen some wedding cakes out of the GF bakery in this style.

9f8937441bc187ea8ca47ba2d8145f46.jpg

We've seen Mickey film wedding cakes before, and here we have another one.

7067974ab5b4b0b5f0342296d7542d67.jpg

Next is a cute Cinderella wedding cake made by the GF bakery. The mice are supposedly Lenox porcelain pieces and I believe only the base layer is real cake.

abccindymicewedding.jpg

abccindymicewedding2.jpg

The GF also made this cake for the mother of the bride. Obviously, it's a mini cake, but clearly something that should be possible for a custom cake order.

abcweddingtributemini.jpg

Next is a wedding cake made by the GF followed by a 2 tier mini cake from the Contemporary, which was made to be a mini version of the full sized cake. The mini cake was $43, but the price was also likely because it was an allergy friendly cake.

abcgfweddingcake.jpg

abcweddingminireplica.jpg

Next is something I haven't seen before...a Clarabelle themed cake! It was made by the GF bakery.

abcclarabelle.jpg

We now have a Minnie version of the Mickey head cake. I could have sworn I've seen cleaner versions of this. This was from the GF and cost about $48.

abcminniecake.jpg

And now a HM themed mini wedding cake from the Contemporary bakery. I guess this means they are back to doing more customized mini wedding cakes.

abchmminicake.jpg

Another theme I've never seen before...Indiana Jones! It's a 6" from YC and was $65.

abcindycake.jpg

And finally, a more basic cake spruced up to Stitch colors. It was $65.

abcstitchcake.jpg

Well, that's it for now people. Happy 4th of July weekend to all celebrating! Have fun and be safe! :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, I've got a mix of things to share.

1. As I was working on getting in a cake order. I realized that there are now more fillings being offered. Obviously, the GF is your best bet for these, but I'll report back later on to let you know if these have made their way to some of the other bakeries. For what it's worth...here's an updated filling list (these are from Lurkyloo's site).

Wedding Cake Fillings

• White Chocolate Mousse
  • Dark Chocolate Mousse
  • Milk Chocolate Mousse
  • Raspberry Mousse
  • Orange White Chocolate Mousse
  • Orange Milk Chocolate Mousse
  • Amaretto Mousse
  • Amaretto Mousse with Almond Crunch
  • Strawberry Mousse
  • Passion Fruit Mousse
  • Tropical Mousse (pineapple, passion fruit-mango, and lime mixed)
  • German Chocolate
  • Caramel Milk Chocolate Mousse
  • Cannoli Filling
  • Buttercream
  • Cream Cheese
  • Peanut Butter Cream Cheese
  • Peanut Butter Cup (dark chocolate and peanut butter cream cheese mousses layered together)
  • Bavarian Cream
  • Bailey’s Mousse
  • Blackberry Mousse
  • Lemon Mousse
  • Apricot Mousse
  • Mocha Mousse
  • Tequila Key Lime Mousse
  • Strawberry Basil Mousse
  • Watermelon Mousse
  • Fresh Strawberries*
  • Fresh Raspberries*
  • White Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Strawberries*
  • Bavarian Cream with Fresh Strawberries*
  • Passion Fruit Mousse with Fresh Raspberries*
  • Dark Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Raspberries*
  • Strawberry Mousse with Fresh Strawberries*
  • Raspberry Mousse with Fresh Raspberries*
  • Cookies & Cream
  • Mint White Chocolate
  • Dark Chocolate Crisp Pearl
  • Chocolate Hazelnut Crunch

2. A couple of wedding cakes.

First, a lot of gold...
a439b3e9f86ce3a99da0b443751c897b.jpg

Second...more delicate features...

b2a37f4a14346f3f0ff076a8dc6687cb.jpg
23db4f0d8d09674b9ef0ea5499a26c6d.jpg

3. I've found some more Disneyland cake pics. I haven't put them all together yet, but here's a few samples.

berry cake.jpg
dlmickey.jpg
floralcake.jpg
goofycake.jpg
minniecake.jpg

4. I started the cake ordering process for my bday cake. We switched our ADR to Cape May, so I'm working with the YC/BC bakery for the first time. First things first...here is my sketch...

19533590061_4d16a57c29_z.jpg

It's rough, but I just don't have the time or energy to make a cleaner version.

Obviously, they can't guarantee this exact cake, but the sketch gives them a solid idea of what I'm looking for. One of the biggest issues will be the Donald image. Now, I've never heard this before, but apparently they can only work with stock images if they have less than a month's notice BUT....they MAY be able to get an image closer to what you want IF they have more than a month's warning. Sooooooo, if you have a very specific image idea, I am now recommending more than a month in advance to get things going.

As for images, I based my Donald on this pin...

19322987588_8ce08d4ab3_z.jpg

This storm trooper image is the closest thing they've got to my sketch and that pin.

Donald01_jpg.jpg

If they can take this from the neck up, I'll be great. If not, I asked that they use this image...

Donald11_jpg.jpg

I do love that they can send me my image options. It definitely helps in the process.

Ultimately, I called...went over some basics and details with a CM...he took my ideas and contact info...then someone else emailed me with the images. He said they'd email me within a few hours, but the email came within minutes. I replied with all of my cake specifics and shortly after that, I received a reply in a matter of minutes saying that my request would be sent over to the bakery and they'd get back with me as soon as they had a quote. I'll have to call again to formally place the order once the quote is sent to me.

I asked for a 6" chocolate cake covered in fondant with chocolate buttercream under the fondant - simple enough, but my #1 filling choice was cannoli cream - if it's nut free. #2 was apricot mousse and #3 was mocha mousse. So, we'll see if they can accommodate this.

I'll keep everyone posted, but for the most part...it's been pleasant working with this bakery. Convo was a little more awkward than the Contemporary bakery, but still decent.

OK- that's it for now. :)

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I need help... ordering my wife's birthday cake... what flavor cake/ filling option should I go with?

The 2 cakes we have gotten I ordered red velvet with white chocolate mousse filling. And vanilla buttercream under the fondant. So Good!!! They were the best red velvet cakes I and DH have ever had!! :)

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes
I think I am leaning towards fresh strawberries... the bakery gave me the options on chocolate or vanilla cake, which would be better?

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes
I am a terrible husband... I think chocolate...

So, I am going with a Figment cake with purple frosting... the bakery said that the frosting would be butter cream... So, would ordering a chocolate cake with fresh strawberry filling be fine as is... or do I need to add anything?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)

So, I am going with a Figment cake with purple frosting... the bakery said that the frosting would be butter cream... So, would ordering a chocolate cake with fresh strawberry filling be fine as is... or do I need to add anything?

First your not a terrible husband!! I would love for my DH to surprise me with a cake at Disney. It was me surprising him twice once for his bday, and once for our anniversary.
2nd I think that sounds delicious the chocolate with fresh strawberries as the filling. I think it will be perfect! :inlove:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I think I am leaning towards fresh strawberries... the bakery gave me the options on chocolate or vanilla cake, which would be better?

The bakeries always push chocolate and vanilla for cake flavors, but its usually pretty easy to get another cake flavor. Fillings are going to vary, but if you're looking for fresh strawberry filling, I think you'll be good. Pretty much all of them can do that. My favorite Disney cake, taste-wise, was a chocolate cake where they did one layer of filling as cream cheese frosting and the other layer was filled with raspberry mousse. It really all came together nicely.

Edit- and you're far from being a terrible husband. You're ordering cake!!! Sheesh...I'm ordering my own bday cake b/c nobody else will. Me ordering/buying cake is the only way I get cake. :(

jaklgreen

Just so ya know, purple frosting will turn your mouth black. Hehe. It looks pretty but it is a strong color as far as food coloring goes. Go with what you like but do not be surprised at the strong coloring. You are a great husband to surprise your wife!

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes
Just so ya know, purple frosting will turn your mouth black. Hehe. It looks pretty but it is a strong color as far as food coloring goes. Go with what you like but do not be surprised at the strong coloring. You are a great husband to surprise your wife!
Purple is her favorite color... stained mouths for all

And you are all too kind for counseling me through this

2kidzmommie

Ok, i think I have got it narrowed down Artist Point for anniversay 9/13 I would call Contemp for Fancy fondant cake, private dinning at WL for non Fondant. HDD 9/14 for the kidz birthday ( i know they serve dessert, but its thier actual day) same as above, correct? One last question for a 2 -tier mini cake, is there a possibillity of fresh strawberries (my absolute favorite)?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Ok, i think I have got it narrowed down Artist Point for anniversay 9/13 I would call Contemp for Fancy fondant cake, private dinning at WL for non Fondant. HDD 9/14 for the kidz birthday ( i know they serve dessert, but its thier actual day) same as above, correct? One last question for a 2 -tier mini cake, is there a possibillity of fresh strawberries (my absolute favorite)?

Any fancy custom cake...buttercream or fondant...would be made by the Contemporary bakery, which would also include a mini wedding cake. If you have more elaborate design ideas, it's best to email the Contemporary bakery, but simpler designs are fine if conveyed by phone. The private dining line at WL (listed below) can take the request and put it through to the Contemporary bakery or you can call the Contemporary's line directly. Contemporary would also handle the request for HDD (never too much dessert ;) ). As for the filling, I've never asked for it in a mini, but due to the size, it's very possible they will not be able to accommodate that filling for the cake type.

Wilderness Lodge* — 407-824-2090
Contemporary Resort* — 407-824-2955

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes

I was able to get fresh strawberries in a 6 inch cake

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Just wanted to share my lovely birthday cake from my Ohana dinner in June. My DH ordered it and he said he worked with Chef Pat at the Grand Flo and he was really happy with the process. I loved it! He has no idea what flavor he ordered but he thinks it's strawberry something. It was delicious!!
View attachment 102849

The GF bakery did a wonderful job on the cake. So cute!!! The piped frosting for the wave effect around the base is really nice!

sandam1

I'm headed to Disney for my 40th birthday in November and, inspired by this thread, I've decided that I'm going to get myself a cake. We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge and currently don't have any ADRs although I keep looking (my list includes Be Our Guest for any meal, a pre-opening breakfast, and a nice dinner - maybe Whispering Canyon Cafe or something at the MK one night). My thought is to do a cake wherever we wind up having the nice dinner so I'm not really sure where I will be ordering from.

My favorite Disney character is Sleeping Beauty so I'm thinking something with that theme. Is there any way to see what stock images of the characters (Aurora and the fairies maybe) they have available without actually contacting one of the bakeries? Also, I was toying with the idea of blue and pink tie-dye like fondant on the cake. Has anyone ever seen this done before? Any what is the smallest size that you can get with fondant on it? We are only going to be at Disney for 4 days/3 nights and there are only two of us so I don't want anything huge.

I'm so excited to do a cake. We were at Disney last fall for my friend's 40th and I soooo wish that I had known about these cakes then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom