WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Haven't been on in while to update but I'm happy to report it looks like a decision was made and my daughter's grad cake has been ordered. Waiting to hear back with confirmation. I will definitely be posting pictures. Cake is scheduled for next Saturday :D Of course it's a surprise but I'm about to bust outta my skin I'm so excited!!! CAN NOT WAIT to see the end result. I'm thinking I need to chill a bit because there has been bad experiences with "fallen" cakes, etc. But if she doesn't know about it then it can't be that bad.

Can't wait to see it!!! Hope all goes well :)

wdwmom2+1

Hi, Im just curious if all the cakes you order at disney come frozen? We had our wedding cake from them many years ago and I do not remember if that was. But last year we went for my daughters birthday and got a standard stock cake they serve pre-ordered. It came to our table had been frozen.. She did not like the taste bc it was watery. I didn't know if there is a way to get one that has been thawed more or not frozen before I try ordering again?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hi, Im just curious if all the cakes you order at disney come frozen? We had our wedding cake from them many years ago and I do not remember if that was. But last year we went for my daughters birthday and got a standard stock cake they serve pre-ordered. It came to our table had been frozen.. She did not like the taste bc it was watery. I didn't know if there is a way to get one that has been thawed more or not frozen before I try ordering again?

The podium cakes you can order when you check into your meal are typically pre-made frozen/thawed cakes. While I've never ordered one, some claim that the basic buttercream cakes you can order from private dining may also be premade like this; however, the fancier custom cakes are made fresh like the wedding cakes.

wdwmom2+1

Thanks. I just spoke with disney cakes. They said all cakes ordered ahead of time should be freshly made she said that since I ordered the six inch with the medallion they probably just grabbed one of the frozen do/thawed ones they keep on hand for walk in guests. So I am giving it another try and ordered one for next week it instead of the stock medallion it will say happy birthday cherish. she also said she will make sure it is a fresh made cake! Excited to try again!

jaklgreen

Thanks. I just spoke with disney cakes. They said all cakes ordered ahead of time should be freshly made she said that since I ordered the six inch with the medallion they probably just grabbed one of the frozen do/thawed ones they keep on hand for walk in guests. So I am giving it another try and ordered one for next week it instead of the stock medallion it will say happy birthday cherish. she also said she will make sure it is a fresh made cake! Excited to try again!

Just so you know, a lot of decorators freeze the cake before it is decorated anyway. Have you ever tried to ice a fresh cake? But it should not be frozen after it is decorated if you special order it.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Just so you know, a lot of decorators freeze the cake before it is decorated anyway. Have you ever tried to ice a fresh cake? But it should not be frozen after it is decorated if you special order it.

There's a difference though. I have frozen personal cakes, especially before doing a sculpted cake, but the podium cakes at WDW...from what I understand...are mass produced cakes made offsite and frozen for long term storage to be thawed when needed. When I do my own custom cakes...I really only like to freeze if I'm doing heavy duty sculpting or working on a tight schedule and know that baking day can't be back to back with decorating day. I usually follow the advice of bake day 1 and let it cool until the next day 2. I also usually dirty ice my cakes on day 2 and put them up in the fridge for several hours before doing anything with fondant. The custom cakes from the Disney bakeries usually only need 48 hours notice for production, so this follows with the whole bake day 1 and decorate day 2 method.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster

Most people I've heard from say they notice a major difference between those cakes they keep frozen and the custom cakes. Of course, everyone's palates and preferences are different, but I think you'll be much happier with this cake :) Let us know how it goes!

Mickey_26

Hi, I'm new here and I hope I've came to the right place for a cake question. We are going this weekend :) to celebrate my sons 3rd birthday. We are having dinner at the Garden Grill and I called yesterday to order him a cake. Of course, the line was busy so I left a message and was happily surprised they called back in less than 10 mins. The cm was not very personable and the conversation was definitely a 'hurry up I've got better things to do' mode. I had a bunch of questions (most of which didn't get answered :mad:). Anyway, I wound up with a "mini 2 tier cake", vanilla/vanilla bc she said would be decorated with mickey heads in blue and with a Happy Birthday message (pushed into this entire cake/color choice). It's just me, dh and our 3 year old, so I THINK it will be ok but I have absolutely no idea how big or what this cake will look like, which is frustrating:(
BTW, the cost was $35.... I know it's small and I don't expect leftovers, but I would like to know what size to expect.Can anybody post a pic of what I might expect or know what size the cake will be?

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hi, I'm new here and I hope I've came to the right place for a cake question. We are going this weekend :) to celebrate my sons 3rd birthday. We are having dinner at the Garden Grill and I called yesterday to order him a cake. Of course, the line was busy so I left a message and was happily surprised they called back in less than 10 mins. The cm was not very personable and the conversation was definitely a 'hurry up I've got better things to do' mode. I had a bunch of questions (most of which didn't get answered :mad:). Anyway, I wound up with a "mini 2 tier cake", vanilla/vanilla bc she said would be decorated with mickey heads in blue and with a Happy Birthday message (pushed into this entire cake/color choice). It's just me, dh and our 3 year old, so I THINK it will be ok but I have absolutely no idea how big or what this cake will look like, which is frustrating:(
BTW, the cost was $35.... I know it's small and I don't expect leftovers, but I would like to know what size to expect.Can anybody post a pic of what I might expect or know what size the cake will be?

I'm sorry the cake ordering experience was so rushed and abrupt. I am thinking your cake will probably look something like this...

WDW_7669.jpg

I am not sure if it will have the mouse ears on top or not, but this should give you a decent visual - at least of the cake.

And if you're not happy with how the call went and have questions...call back. Usually, it's just that they're really busy...but I don't think it's too much to ask to have reasonable questions answered and have a pleasant person on he other end of the line. Just my opinion :)

wdwmom2+1

Hi we got our cake yesterday. First let me say it tasted fresh Bd not frozen/wet. Tasting. But the vanilla tasted more like lemon??my daughter hates lemon flavored cake so a little bummed. And it also ended up not being a surprise because the waitress came out and said quietly what flavor cake would you like I said causal but it should have already been here and personalized with my daughtersname. So she went back and came outwit huge paper and as she was saying our chef had had No clue. I pointed on the form. Where it said this. She then left and came back and said yes it was there. But even with the waitress being discret the surprise was ruined:(

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hi we got our cake yesterday. First let me say it tasted fresh Bd not frozen/wet. Tasting. But the vanilla tasted more like lemon??my daughter hates lemon flavored cake so a little bummed. And it also ended up not being a surprise because the waitress came out and said quietly what flavor cake would you like I said causal but it should have already been here and personalized with my daughtersname. So she went back and came outwit huge paper and as she was saying our chef had had No clue. I pointed on the form. Where it said this. She then left and came back and said yes it was there. But even with the waitress being discret the surprise was ruined:(

I've never noticed a lemon taste to the buttercream with the WDW cakes (all of the bakeries are supposed to be using the same things), but many bakeries do use a little bit of lemon/citrus extract to brighten the notes of a traditional vanilla buttercream. Not that it helps anything if you don't like lemon.

What restaurant was this? I've done a number of surprise cakes and I can't believe how poorly they handled the whole thing. The only time I've ever had any question about a custom cake, it was just "which one?" and they pulled me aside away from the table. I'm sorry it didn't go as planned. Were you able to speak to a manager about it? That's usually the best course of action when anything is botched. I don't like turning a festive meal into something negative, but on the flip side...they've been known to give more than just apologies.

Blairnicol

When I was there for my friend's birthday in May I made a point to sneak away and grab the waiter or hostess and confirm the cake details away from the table so that it didn't get spoiled...I have read a few reviews about proposals getting ruined so I figured it would be too hard for them to botch a birthday surprise :facepalm:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
When I was there for my friend's birthday in May I made a point to sneak away and grab the waiter or hostess and confirm the cake details away from the table so that it didn't get spoiled...I have read a few reviews about proposals getting ruined so I figured it would be too hard for them to botch a birthday surprise :facepalm:

Yeah- I have this whole process I go through when it's a surprise. I usually check in while everyone else hangs back...and I confirm that the cake is there with the host as well as tell them to communicate this is a surprise to our server before calling us to be seated. Cakes aren't typically brought out until the tail end of the meal, so at some point...I excuse myself, track down our server, and reconfirm everything with the cake. My kids usually assume I'm discussing something food allergy related, so that kind of helps give me an excuse to get up and chat with the server early on. Most of the servers have also seen the cakes, so I've gone as far as chatting up the design...like "I'm so excited...do you know if it looks nice?" Just to make sure they have the right cake. Usually the feedback is enough to confirm it's there and they're aware of the correct cake (since I know some people have had cake mix ups...i.e. cakes delivered to wrong tables). Still, even with all of this...there's no guarantees they'll get it right...which is unfortunate since custom cakes aren't exactly cheap.

Blairnicol

Yes-that's basically what I did. Excused myself from the table to 'go to the bathroom' and found my server. Verified that the cake was in the back, asked that she bring it out before she ask if we wanted dessert. I also described what the cake was supposed to look like to make sure that they brought us the correct one.

Anna_Minnie44

I'm back again! Finally got everything onto my laptop so here is my parent's surprise anniversary cake! For size reference, that was three layers of cake and two layers of chocolate buttercream (side note: did I really not take a picture of the inside?!) and I guess you have to ask them to paint the figurine. Also, we believed the flowers and plants were not edible, but don't quote me on that!
P1050599.JPG

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I'm back again! Finally got everything onto my laptop so here is my parent's surprise anniversary cake! For size reference, that was three layers of cake and two layers of chocolate buttercream (side note: did I really not take a picture of the inside?!) and I guess you have to ask them to paint the figurine. Also, we believed the flowers and plants were not edible, but don't quote me on that!
View attachment 98814

The cake is cute :) The flowers and leaves appear to be edible. They're usually made of gum paste/pastillage...not the tastiest of stuff... but edible. I recognize the leaves from some of our cakes (i.e. they used the same mold/tools) and I know those were edible. As for the white chocolate figures...you do need to request any extra touches or full painting, as it costs extra. Silver/Gold detailing is usually just a small fee, but fully painting these figures can add a pretty significant cost.

Mickey_26

update for those wondering what I got....
We had the birthday dinner at the Garden Grill. I don't know who bakes the cakes for the Garden Grill, but the cake tasted like it was previously frozen, which was a disappointment. It was standard supermarket style cake and frosting, which I expected, but had hoped it would be baked fresh, since it was personalized :/ Of course, my 3 year old didn't mind, it was the only thing he ate during dinner. The cake was 3" bottom tier and 2" top tier and each tier was about 3" tall. It was more than enough (had 1/2 left) for me, hubby and son.
IMG_2872.JPG

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
update for those wondering what I got....
We had the birthday dinner at the Garden Grill. I don't know who bakes the cakes for the Garden Grill, but the cake tasted like it was previously frozen, which was a disappointment. It was standard supermarket style cake and frosting, which I expected, but had hoped it would be baked fresh, since it was personalized :/ Of course, my 3 year old didn't mind, it was the only thing he ate during dinner. The cake was 3" bottom tier and 2" top tier and each tier was about 3" tall. It was more than enough (had 1/2 left) for me, hubby and son.View attachment 98900

Wow...I know that has been an issue with some of the 6" and 8" buttercream cakes, but I've never seen it come up with the mini wedding cakes. I've never ordered through the Epcot bakery, but we had a mini made by the Contemporary back in 2013 and it tasted fresh. I don't know what would have caused it, but it wouldn't hurt to provide them with feedback on the freshness, or lack thereof.

Mickey_26

Wow...I know that has been an issue with some of the 6" and 8" buttercream cakes, but I've never seen it come up with the mini wedding cakes. I've never ordered through the Epcot bakery, but we had a mini made by the Contemporary back in 2013 and it tasted fresh. I don't know what would have caused it, but it wouldn't hurt to provide them with feedback on the freshness, or lack thereof.

I think it must depend on where you get the cake. Since I ordered it from the Epcot baking team and they serve many different restaurants, I suppose it is easy to pre-make popular cakes. In hindsight, I should have got a clue when the person taking the order over the phone, told me it only comes in red or blue mickeys.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom