WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
@JDMom It's crazy that many 2D edible stand ups are the same price or more than 3D white chocolate toppers. If I'm not having my 3d ones painted, I usually have them accent it in silver and/or gold to provide some 'pop' to the appearance. They'll also often do that for little to no cost. Still, since you're buying 2 cakes...it's probably not worth the extra cost you'd incur. I do like the idea of the Mickey swirls and those usually do come out looking pretty striking. Can't wait to see the cakes :)

JDMom

Thanks @HouCuseChickie ! if I was just buying one cake, I would have went for it. However, I am thinking of bringing a special anniversary figure to put next to the cake for the picture, i would rather buy that and keep it, then spend the $ on chocolate...I can't believe I just said that! LOL!!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Thanks @HouCuseChickie ! if I was just buying one cake, I would have went for it. However, I am thinking of bringing a special anniversary figure to put next to the cake for the picture, i would rather buy that and keep it, then spend the $ on chocolate...I can't believe I just said that! LOL!!

I helped a friend design a cake for a WDW trip a couple of years ago where she approached it with a similar mindset. It was for her eldest's Sweet 16. She bought the topper/picture holder and supplied the pic (first time her daughter met Mickey). This way she had a keepsake from the evening that also fit in with the theme of the cake.

6597469697_aa0b014e92_z.jpg

So, no harm in saying you don't want to spend the $ on chocolate. There are times when that's not the best cake choice :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I was going to start by saying, "Hi Cakies!!!," but I wasn't sure how that sounded. I mean, if a food lover is a foodie, can a cake lover be a cakie? Or does that just sound...well...more gross than anything else? Let me know what you think!

OK...now for cakes. I'm not sure if this was WDW Bakery produced, but you all know I love Donald...so I have to share. It's a groom's cake, but would be a fairly easy cake to recreate for a special occasion at home. Doubt anyone but the GF bakery would consider doing this and they will likely charge a premium. Still...I love it!

Donald%20Mouse%20Ears%20front.jpg

Donald%20Mouse%20Ears.jpg

From the AKL bakery- $60

img_2106-1-jpg.90938

img_2111-jpeg.90939

No info on this...But Contemporary bakery quoted $106 to recreate it...

bfa324d3e01f1e26b833b49afe564c0c.jpg

No info on this one either beyond it being $35...

Paiges%2016th%20trip%20094_zpsaxhidvu5.jpg

No wedding cakes this week, but there was this video which showcases a handful of cakes.

I cringe a little when Pat grabs the castle and eats the top turret. I've been so tempted to do that with my white chocolate Cinderella castle, but I just don't have the heart to do it + I kind of wanted to keep it :) I did bite off Belle's head with DD8's cake from our summer 2011 trip...and I still haven't heard the end of that!:rolleyes:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Figured I'd throw in a little cake update. I'm waiting on some paint to dry (yes, I'm serious)...so I need something to do. :D

6"- Contemporary Bakery - $65

golfmickey.jpg

8" - Contemporary Bakery - $151

cake1.jpg

$40 - GF Bakery

cake2.jpg

$80 - Contemporary Bakery

cake4.jpg

$35 - GF Bakery

cake3.jpg

These are some of the cakes that are part of that Wheel of Fortune spot...

8a9ccf834fac998f7ce863924085513e.jpg

The next bunch...no info on them, but all Disney bakery made...

lilo-stitch cake.jpg

mickey minnie cake.jpg

stitch cake.jpg

spacemtn cake.jpg

toy story cake.jpg

4625086646_ee3ed8ca9f.jpg

OK...that's it for now :)

Last edited:

Mikay2222

We are heading back down to disney and excited to order up another cake : ) Do you know of any new cakes that are geared more towards the New Cinderella Movie? Any pics? thank you in advance

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
We are heading back down to disney and excited to order up another cake : ) Do you know of any new cakes that are geared more towards the New Cinderella Movie? Any pics? thank you in advance

I have not seen any. In fact, when you search for Cinderella cakes...even with "new movie" in the criteria...you sill get classic Cinderella results.

That being said, I may have some inspiration cakes for you.

As soon as you said cake and the new Cindy movie...my mind went to butterflies. Now please don't judge too harshly as this is one of my very first cakes, but I thought about all of the butterflies on this one and how it would translate well to a new Cindy cake...

4885874054_960aa48681_z.jpg

5799876645_573d2bd46a_z.jpg

5800430050_ebccebf116_z.jpg

Add that concept to something like this...

4885873902_53b3c3f8ee.jpg

...and I think you have a good idea of where I'm going. I doubt they'd sculpt a pillow cake...well, at least not without charging you 5x the cost of a round, but I posted it since it's another thought on the glass slipper. We know they have a white chocolate slipper they can sugar coat and add to cakes, but if you want something a little different...they may be willing to sculpt a gumpaste one like what I did for this cake. I'm sure they have their own kits, cutters and tools, but as you can see from my pic below...mine glistens a lot more.

5800430420_72f521ff15.jpg

I'm not biased or anything ;)

Obviously, you'd want blue as the main color in your color scheme (vs purple), but I think this could work for you since it shouldn't be hard for them to make butterflies. Let me know what you think.

Mikay2222

I have not seen any. In fact, when you search for Cinderella cakes...even with "new movie" in the criteria...you sill get classic Cinderella results.

That being said, I may have some inspiration cakes for you.

As soon as you said cake and the new Cindy movie...my mind went to butterflies. Now please don't judge too harshly as this is one of my very first cakes, but I thought about all of the butterflies on this one and how it would translate well to a new Cindy cake...

4885874054_960aa48681_z.jpg

5799876645_573d2bd46a_z.jpg

5800430050_ebccebf116_z.jpg

Add that concept to something like this...

4885873902_53b3c3f8ee.jpg

...and I think you have a good idea of where I'm going. I doubt they'd sculpt a pillow cake...well, at least not without charging you 5x the cost of a round, but I posted it since it's another thought on the glass slipper. We know they have a white chocolate slipper they can sugar coat and add to cakes, but if you want something a little different...they may be willing to sculpt a gumpaste one like what I did for this cake. I'm sure they have their own kits, cutters and tools, but as you can see from my pic below...mine glistens a lot more.

5800430420_72f521ff15.jpg

I'm not biased or anything ;)

Obviously, you'd want blue as the main color in your color scheme (vs purple), but I think this could work for you since it shouldn't be hard for them to make butterflies. Let me know what you think.

I love the butterfly idea on a blue cake! And I never judge- I am far from a baker- your cake is beautiful! I think I will go that route with glass slipper- simple but I know they will make it fantastic. Another cake I was thinking of doing is some sort of Polynesian Tiki Mask cake (staying at Polynesian this time). Do you have any pics of this theme? I haven't seen any posted.

Mikay2222

This is a cake we ordered back in December- my daughter loved it! We weren't able to make our 1900 Park Fare reservation in the grand Floridian but we were lucky that the staff actually had the cake sent to our hotel- kidani villas at animal kingdom lodge. I had sent Pat from GF some pics and she did a great job. There were little presents under the tree on the cake- mushrooms along the bottom of the tree stomp. she also added a light behind the banner so it lit up! Great cake.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Mikay2222

Here is one we had ordered thru Brian at Hollywood Studios- Brown Derby. They also packed it up and had it sent to our hotel room but that was because they had made us wait an hour for our table even though we had a reservation... Soooo they were nice enough to send the cake to our hotel room. The details in the characters were amazing!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I love the butterfly idea on a blue cake! And I never judge- I am far from a baker- your cake is beautiful! I think I will go that route with glass slipper- simple but I know they will make it fantastic. Another cake I was thinking of doing is some sort of Polynesian Tiki Mask cake (staying at Polynesian this time). Do you have any pics of this theme? I haven't seen any posted.

Love the cake from the GF! They did a really nice job :)

I wish I had a tiki cake for you. In fact, I once sketched one as an idea for DH. The cake I had designed was Lilo & Stitch themed. The cake itself was several tiers of tiki heads - forming a totem...and then the top was covered in "sand," edible Lilo and Stitch were partying, there was a small "water" feature in the center, and there were several large edible palms framing the scene.

The tiki cake below is lighter in color than what I had in mind, but it's along the lines style-wise of what I'd envisioned.

4980977034_4dcce64eac.jpg

I was just thinking of all of the tikis you see around the Poly and this was where my mind went with caking. Who knows...if I ever decide to staring doing cakes again, maybe I'll finally make my tiki cake :) Ultimately, the cake above is a round and they've really just used the fondant to form the face. So, I think they could handle this.

Mikay2222

Love the cake from the GF! They did a really nice job :)

I wish I had a tiki cake for you. In fact, I once sketched one as an idea for DH. The cake I had designed was Lilo & Stitch themed. The cake itself was several tiers of tiki heads - forming a totem...and then the top was covered in "sand," edible Lilo and Stitch were partying, there was a small "water" feature in the center, and there were several large edible palms framing the scene.

The tiki cake below is lighter in color than what I had in mind, but it's along the lines style-wise of what I'd envisioned.

4980977034_4dcce64eac.jpg

I was just thinking of all of the tikis you see around the Poly and this was where my mind went with caking. Who knows...if I ever decide to staring doing cakes again, maybe I'll finally make my tiki cake :) Ultimately, the cake above is a round and they've really just used the fondant to form the face. So, I think they could handle this.

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines! Thank you! I will send u pics of what they come up with for us : ) we go first week of June. I seriously love the cakes they do and always looking to try new ideas! Thanks

Ducktales&Remy

Longtime lurker, first time posting. Thank you to everyone for all the information!! We are headed to Disney World for the first time in about 2 weeks. My son turns 3 while we are there and I wanted to have a small cake at one of our ADR's - Boma dinner, Garden Grill dinner or CRT breakfast (his actual birthday)? Any of those locations and corresponding cake makers more recommended than others?

I was hoping to keep it in the $50/60 range and no fondant. His favorites are Jake the Pirate, Peter Pan, Chip & Dale, WALL-E and Ducktales. I am particularly partial to Ducktales myself...Has anyone ever seen a Ducktales theme cake?!

For a custom 6" buttercream cake, can they do the 2d images without a significant increase in cost?

If we go with CRT and the Contemporary Resort makes the cake, do I contact them first or email the MK cakes people first? I am a little confused as to who to contact first when its a more custom order.

JDMom

UPDATE: I finally just sketched 2 cakes and called the Boardwalk Bakery and asked if I could fax it to them. I also bought handmade cupcake toppers to add to the flowers of each cake to make it more special. I will just add them when we get there.

1st cake: Graduation in Hunter Green & Gold. Van. cake w/buttercream & White Chocolate Mousse. The toppers are Mickey heads w/ graduation hats that are being made in hunter green.
2nd cake: Anniversary in White & Red. Van cake w/buttercream (we had to change from whip cream bc of red) & Strawberry filling. The toppers are Mickey & Minnie heads.
The cakes are a lot alike. Both 8 in. Both $40. Both will have flowers and swirl mickeys. Both will have a few Mickey toppers in the flowers.

I feel so much better having a clear idea of what I am getting! I can't wait!!!
PicMonkey%20Collagecakes.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Longtime lurker, first time posting. Thank you to everyone for all the information!! We are headed to Disney World for the first time in about 2 weeks. My son turns 3 while we are there and I wanted to have a small cake at one of our ADR's - Boma dinner, Garden Grill dinner or CRT breakfast (his actual birthday)? Any of those locations and corresponding cake makers more recommended than others?

I was hoping to keep it in the $50/60 range and no fondant. His favorites are Jake the Pirate, Peter Pan, Chip & Dale, WALL-E and Ducktales. I am particularly partial to Ducktales myself...Has anyone ever seen a Ducktales theme cake?!

For a custom 6" buttercream cake, can they do the 2d images without a significant increase in cost?

If we go with CRT and the Contemporary Resort makes the cake, do I contact them first or email the MK cakes people first? I am a little confused as to who to contact first when its a more custom order.

I'd skip a cake at Boma, but CRT (you'd be working with Contemporary bakery via MK cakes) or Garden Grill (Epcot Bakery) would be my top choices. I love working with Chef Brian at the Contemporary, but the Epcot bakery has been putting out some really nice cakes.

Based on his likes...even though it's not on his actual bday...I think a Chip & Dale cake at Garden Grill would be really fitting since they are 2 of the characters. As long as you have the bday on the ADR, you should still get a little something at CRT that's complimentary. If you stick with buttercream, they should be able to stay in your price range. Pricing on 2D standups varies, but sometimes it's a nothing add on and sometimes it's $20-30. I'd also advise a 6" cake for that price unless you're a larger group and 8" would really be needed.

As for who to contact, if you opt to do a cake at CRT...you can email the Contemporary bakery first to hash out your cake details before emailing MK cakes OR you can just email MK cakes directly if your design ideas aren't overly involved. Usually, people who are emailing the chefs at the Contemporary first have fairly elaborate designs and a) wan to make sure it can be done b) work on the design details to get it into their budget. Alternately, if you go for Garden Grill- just call:
407-560-6395

What you might do is reach out to both...call Epcot and email the Contemporary and get quotes. Maybe go with who can do the most for the least. You're in that crunch time window, so best to get the ball rolling today if possible. It may take a couple of days for the Contemporary to get back with you, but obviously- if you like their quote better, you can just put in your order via MK cakes' email. If not, you can just call back the Epcot bakery at that time.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
UPDATE: I finally just sketched 2 cakes and called the Boardwalk Bakery and asked if I could fax it to them. I also bought handmade cupcake toppers to add to the flowers of each cake to make it more special. I will just add them when we get there.

1st cake: Graduation in Hunter Green & Gold. Van. cake w/buttercream & White Chocolate Mousse. The toppers are Mickey heads w/ graduation hats that are being made in hunter green.
2nd cake: Anniversary in White & Red. Van cake w/buttercream (we had to change from whip cream bc of red) & Strawberry filling. The toppers are Mickey & Minnie heads.
The cakes are a lot alike. Both 8 in. Both $40. Both will have flowers and swirl mickeys. Both will have a few Mickey toppers in the flowers.

I feel so much better having a clear idea of what I am getting! I can't wait!!!
PicMonkey%20Collagecakes.jpg

I really like the Minnie and Mickey toppers. I also totally understand the relief in having a clear idea communicated to the bakeries. I know some people have given them general ideas and let them go with it and gotten great results, but others have not. Outside of my 40th bday cake debacle, this has always worked well for me too. Can't wait to see your cakes. :)

Blairnicol

Hi there-so I ordered the cake for my friend's birthday last week and wanted to share my experience with the ordering process. We have an ADR at Narccossee so I called the GF bakery on Tuesday 4/28 (they are closed Sunday & Monday) and left a message. I did not receive a call back until Saturday 5/2. Like @JDMom I felt very rushed through the process, and I knew exactly what I wanted! I gave the details of my ADR, was asked if I wanted chocolate or vanilla cake, how to spell my friend's name, and how old she was turning. Oddly enough when I told them 30 they though I wouldn't want the year on the cake. I was given lots of options for fillings and then given a price ( had them do strawberries & custard wish was a tad extra). It was at that point that I asked if the cake could please be in a Mary Poppins theme. I was told they could do a white cake with ruffles and red bows and a white chocolate carousel (for an extra $15). The total quote I was given was $85.

I think I am going to call back next week because I actually have a sketch that I had done that was a little different that what Pat offered. It's a silhouette of the London sky with kites & birds & has a yellow tape measure on the top. I really think either will work, but I did feel very rushed through the call (it lasted less than 3 minutes) especially after waiting so long for a call back. She was in no way rude, and honestly it's my bad for not stepping up and saying "HEY-I have ideas!!!", but I think they are used to guests needing to be directed through the process and quickly, if needed. That being said the price I was quoted was less than I expected, so bonus there I guess?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom