WDW Ticket Prices

PrincessNelly_NJ

People also forget how DVC plays into all of this.

More DVC = more people who are forced to make annual or at least biennial trips. If people are pretty much forced to go because DVC then they will pay for tickets regardless of price.
True... there is a forum on the Disboards where everyone list what there trip is costing.... DVC members minus the cost of DVC were spending $2,000-$3,000 PER TRIP.

Mind blown.... we spend that much per trip without DVC.... no wonder disney continues to expand DVC resorts...

ToTBellHop

Thats not how I was reading it... it seemed like it will be a water park hopper... letting you enter both water parks in one day without using two entitlements.

A Water Park-Hopper ticket add-on will be introduced. “At the very least, this will be an option for single-day water park tickets, but it may also be available as an add-on for other tickets as well.”
Seems odd considering both water parks are only open at the same time for half of the year and the combination of short hours, afternoon thunderstorms, and no easy transportation between the two during the remaining 6 months would render this ticket useless. You can already hop between water parks if you really want with the current Water Parks and More option.

Disneyfamily4

Thats not how I was reading it... it seemed like it will be a water park hopper... letting you enter both water parks in one day without using two entitlements.

A Water Park-Hopper ticket add-on will be introduced. “At the very least, this will be an option for single-day water park tickets, but it may also be available as an add-on for other tickets as well.”

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I doubt that there are many people who park hop from one water park to another, that would make Disney implement a change like this.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Seems odd considering both water parks are only open at the same time for half of the year and the combination of short hours, afternoon thunderstorms, and no easy transportation between the two during the remaining 6 months would render this ticket useless. You can already hop between water parks if you really want with the current Water Parks and More option.
I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I doubt that there are many people who park hop from one water park to another, that would make Disney implement a change like this.
you never know... in the summer the water parks stay open late and currently, you would use two entitlements when hopping between the water parks. Plus seems like many people leave the water parks way before 5... but idrk... just throwing out ideas of what it could be.

Travel Junkie

Parking is a one-time add-on. And while there is public transit in Anaheim... it's not really practical for most tourist activities given the involvement and lack of after-hours coverage.

Disney needs to encourage carpooling to the park for those 'after work' crowds. The problem is when everyone has pre-paid parking... or pre-paid admission... you lose many of your best behavior modification controls.

Make the pre-paid parking out in siberia... unless you have a carpool.. then you can park close, etc.

For the 24 hour events they have tried to incentivize carpoolers by giving them free gifts, but I don’t think it did much good. California is a car culture (1 person per car culture at that) and public transit options are limited. DLR is often the meeting point for friends and family that drive from every which way and carpooling is often unrealistic.

My guess is that DLR and the city of Anaheim is worried about what AP’s would do if the parking add on wasn’t an option. For one thing you would see DTD’s 3 hour free parking limit abused much more than it already is.

Locals won’t like it, but I imagine MM+ plans for DLR will include developing ways to force AP’s to signify in advance when they are coming through FP+ reservations and even possibly creating AP capacities separate from the overall capacity of the parks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
For the 24 hour events they have tried to incentivize carpoolers by giving them free gifts, but I don’t think it did much good. California is a car culture (1 person per car culture at that) and public transit options are limited. DLR is often the meeting point for friends and family that drive from every which way and carpooling is often unrealistic.

You know what they say... Money talks.

When I goto the football game, we usually have 3-4 different people coming from entirely different directions. But at $50 a car to park... we find a way to carpool in :)

burgess

Disney would make the change because it looks, on paper, like a perk. They can charge people for something that will cost them basically nothing. In fact, if it encourages people to spend a full day seeing both waterparks, it would probably make them more money through chicken finger sales.

On the flipside, they'd get rid of the actually useful "no expiration" option because they see it as costing them money. They probably see it as a loophole that lets people avoid their price hikes.

It would all make sense to me.

erasure fan1

More DVC = more people who are forced to make annual or at least biennial trips. If people are pretty much forced to go because DVC then they will pay for tickets regardless of price.
Don't be so sure. We have our 2nd trip planned to use DVC points just to stay at the pool and do other things. That's 2 out of 3 years with no park.

I don't know, Id be pretty content sitting in a Savannah view room for a week or in Kidani/Jambo's pool without ever setting foot in a park if they make tickets/APs too unreasonable.
Exactly, It's great just staying in a room, not worrying about the parks and just relaxing. The other plus is extra time to see other things in the Orlando area with the money you save from not buying tickets.

doctornick

On the flipside, they'd get rid of the actually useful "no expiration" option because they see it as costing them money. They probably see it as a loophole that lets people avoid their price hikes.

People could still buy a bunch of tickets now though and not use them until the future though, right? Even without no expiration, you can do that, but you just would have to use an individual ticket in one sitting (i.e. in a two week period) instead of over multiple trips.

But if you know you tend to do (say) 7 days a trip you could buy a bunch of 7 day tickets. more risky than the non-expiration tickets though.

SnarkyMonkey

I like your use of the word "forced". I'm just picturing Mickey putting a pen in someone's hand and saying, "Sign it! Sign it or else!" :devilish:

With the Billions they made from Frozen and Marvel, not to mention the record breaking amount of Billions, they will make from Star Wars and Marvel this year, you would think we can skip a year of increases. However, AP holders get a deduction in discounts and prices go up.

Except WDW didn't make millions from Frozen and Marvel. It's not like you pay for your movie ticket and they mail it over to Cinderella in her Castle who promptly goes out and buys some nails for the next refurb.

No matter what the cost is, for my family of 4, its money Disney is making me spend for something we never go to.

I really think you are reading the details of that ticket incorrectly but I guess we'll find out later when Disney announces the changes. I'm almost certain, like others have said, that the hopper they are referring to is for the water park add-on. I'm guessing you will still be able to add the hopper option to your tickets.

That being said, Mickey isn't making you buy multi-day tickets any more than he is making people sign up for DVC. The multi-day tickets are simply a discount, with or without the water park add on. You can go ahead and buy single day tickets if you want. :confused:

epcotWSC

Forced as in once you buy DVC you need to use the points within two years or you lose them. So in essence, yes you're forced to go to Disney every year or two years. Banking to RCI points doesn't get you as much. My wife's family owns DVC, I know the program well enough. I have yet to go to Disney without going to the parks. You go down for F&W and you're going to go to the parks, you go down for Christmas or New Years, same idea. If you go for any of the tons of events that Disney throws each year, you will be going to the parks.

Sure, I guess you can decide to just stay in the resort and do nothing or just go to places outside of Disney, but I doubt that's the case for the average DVC owner who goes once or twice a year (or every other year). I have a few Facebook friends who have DVC and every time they go they're taking pictures of themselves in the parks. I'm sure the percentage of people who have DVC who to WDW, not go to the parks, eat either outside of Disney or in their room for every meal and all that is very very small.

I can see a DVC member maybe staying at Disney for a week and then only going to the parks for a couple days rather than 4 or 5 days, sure. However, not at all is probably a very small percentage.

jakeman

Forced as in once you buy DVC you need to use the points within two years or you lose them. So in essence, yes you're forced to go to Disney every year or two years. Banking to RCI points doesn't get you as much. My wife's family owns DVC, I know the program well enough. I have yet to go to Disney without going to the parks. You go down for F&W and you're going to go to the parks, you go down for Christmas or New Years, same idea. If you go for any of the tons of events that Disney throws each year, you will be going to the parks.

Sure, I guess you can decide to just stay in the resort and do nothing or just go to places outside of Disney, but I doubt that's the case for the average DVC owner who goes once or twice a year (or every other year). I have a few Facebook friends who have DVC and every time they go they're taking pictures of themselves in the parks. I'm sure the percentage of people who have DVC who to WDW, not go to the parks, eat either outside of Disney or in their room for every meal and all that is very very small.

I can see a DVC member maybe staying at Disney for a week and then only going to the parks for a couple days rather than 4 or 5 days, sure. However, not at all is probably a very small percentage.
I guess Hilton Head, Aulani, Vero Beach, or the cruise aren't options? You are somewhat "forced" to use your points to get maximum return on your investments, but I think it's incorrect to say you are forced specifically to go to WDW.

If that's not what you're implying then my apologies.

EOD K9

I've been going to WDW from 81-84 and then from '97 to present consecutively. We purchased DVC ten years ago I have seen a significant drop in value in the parks for what I am paying. I've been to DL and DLP a few times and seem to really enjoy the experience there.
During my last trip, the wife was 6 months pregnant and went for 5 days. We mainly just resort hopped, mini golf, etc. We went to the parks for one day as one of my buddies is on the K9 unit there and got us in for free. I really did not want to pay the price they demand.
I've have since learned to rent my DVC points and use that to finance my DCL cruises. While they are expensive, the service is a good value and it is what service was and should be in the parks. I'll be taking the wife and daughters who will be ten months old soon on their first cruise. We will be bookending the cruise with a stay at VWL on the front for a night and BLT for a night on the back. I couldn't possibly be that close to the park and not go, however, I really don't want to pay the price for a one day one park ticket. I'm also not going to be that guy who busts his CM friend's chops to get me in all the time.
Its unfortunate that I will be paying as much as we are and wont be able to take the girls on some of the better rides. Sorry for the rant.

ParentsOf4

Forced as in once you buy DVC you need to use the points within two years or you lose them. So in essence, yes you're forced to go to Disney every year or two years.
DVC members rent out their points for profit all the time.

In 2015, the average annual Maintenance Fee at the WDW DVC resorts was $5.78/point.

Places like David's DVC Rental are just begging DVC members for more points to rent, offering members up to $13/point so David's can rent them out at $16/point.

Under absolutely no circumstances are DVC members "forced" to go to WDW. Quite the opposite; they profit by not going to WDW.

Last edited:

Makamah

DVC members rent out their points for profit all the time.

In 2015, the average annual Maintenance Fee at the WDW DVC resorts was $5.78/point.

Places like David's DVC Rental are just begging DVC members for more points to rent, offering members up to $13/point so David's can rent them out at $16/point.

Under absolutely no circumstances are DVC members "forced" to go to WDW. Quite the opposite; they profit by not going to WDW.
As a dvc owner I do not feel forced to go to disney. I purchased dvc because I GO to disney often
However we do not profit from renting or selling dvc. I have sold contracts in the past and once commission and such were factored in did not make any money. Also your calculation above is only taking into account maintenance fees. You forgot to add in the buy in price per point. Right now that is $160 per pt. so st the minimum buy in of 160 pts that is $25600. Do at the $8 profit per pts you noted it would take 20 years to break even.
We are by no means profiting from dvc. The value is longer term and cost of rooms vs our fixed cost

ParentsOf4

As a dvc owner I do not feel forced to go to disney. I purchased dvc because I GO to disney often
However we do not profit from renting or selling dvc. I have sold contracts in the past and once commission and such were factored in did not make any money. Also your calculation above is only taking into account maintenance fees. You forgot to add in the buy in price per point. Right now that is $160 per pt. so st the minimum buy in of 160 pts that is $25600. Do at the $8 profit per pts you noted it would take 20 years to break even.
We are by no means profiting from dvc. The value is longer term and cost of rooms vs our fixed cost
The question is: Once someone has bought into DVC, are they "forced" to go. The answer is "no", they can rent their points.

Most DVC members bought at $100/point or less directly from Disney. Over the course of a typical 40 year contract, that works out to $2.50/point annually. At the current annual MF of under $6.00/point, that works out to $8.50/point. (I have a more sophisticated way to calculate annual cost which includes factors such as inflation and lost opportunity but I'm just trying to keep the math simple here.)

That's significantly less than the $11-to-$13/point being offered to DVC members by David's DVC Rental.

Elsewhere, I have posted on several occasions that a DVC purchase directly from Disney no longer makes financial sense at today's prices. The break-even now is stretching out into decades. However, the DVC price run-up is a relatively recent event. Overwhelmingly, most DVC members bought when prices were significantly lower.

Without further details, I cannot comment on why you sold your DVC membership. However, unless you needed the money immediately, long term, you would have been better off financially simply renting your points.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do at the $8 profit per pts you noted it would take 20 years to break even.

Yes, but it's not a 'all or nothing' calculation either. It would be dumb to buy DVC and solely rent it. But you can buy DVC, and use rent to make ONGOING ownership cost neutral or profitable. Your up front capital cost is of course your 'pre-paid' hotel stays that you break-even on in ~10 years or so. Renting at least gives you the option to continue ownership without really incurring recurring costs.

jakeman

Not a rant.. an objective voice of reason.
Except it's not objective. In his opinion the value of a one day ticket is not worth the experiences he will have. He decided that in his opinion (of which I agree with) the value is not present for the cost.

There are others who have a differing opinion. Neither are right or wrong, it's just a value decision made at the personal level.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Except it's not objective. In his opinion the value of a one day ticket is not worth the experiences he will have. He decided that in his opinion (of which I agree with) the value is not present for the cost.

*facepalm*

The post does not mean mean devoid of opinion or that it applies universally. It means devoid of irrational bias. His opinions has been formed from reasonable, level, objective, points of comparison with conclusions he can support and presented in a clear format. He's draw conclusions from real experiences and not just emotions or hearsay. That is an objective approach -- even in topics that are subjective.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom