Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

dreamfinder

Do you know how they calculate your marathon time off of a 10k or half marathon time.

There are charts that can be used to estimate your approx finishing time based off a shorter race. IE you do a 6 min per mile pace for a 5k, you should have a 6:30 for a 10k, 7:15 for a half marathon, and 8:00 for a full. Or whatever the numbers happen to be. Obviously the longer the race is that you submit, the more accurate the full pace would be. A 10k also helps them to assume you have a bit of endurance training, instead of just being able to rip off the first 5k in 19 minutes and then have to walk the remainder, or get picked up off the side of the road.

Honeyrun

thanks dreamfinder for the reply.. I did not want to enter my 10k time then be put into a corral where I watched people pass me all race, also not wanting to be put at the back, so this helps.

Ariel484

The run Disney Facebook page says the Goofy challenge is now 70% full. It sure seems like it's filling up fast.

Yeah, it does. But the cap is much smaller compared to the other races I think...~7,000 or something? It's something like ~15,000 for the full and ~22,000 for the half (these are just guesses). So at least we know why it's filling faster than the half and full.

MKCP 1985

Not having a tag team for the full should help the half to sell out more quickly. Who knows?

Whoever goes will have a great time.

DTM93

Decided to sign up for the Half Marathon for 2013! Quite nervous as I've never done anything like it before but I think with good training it should work out!
Plus I've fancied doing it for a long time since I knew about it and now I'm old enough to fly over etc. I think it's worth it, especially as it's the only type of marathon I think I could do as it has the extra aspects of it that Disney includes.
I'm a CM in the UK and I'd like to do the marathon for VoluntEARS so then at least it's going to bank some money for Great Ormond Street so I'm not just running for myself and that's another motivation I guess!
I'm pretty terrified I must admit! :p

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Decided to sign up for the Half Marathon for 2013! Quite nervous as I've never done anything like it before but I think with good training it should work out!
Plus I've fancied doing it for a long time since I knew about it and now I'm old enough to fly over etc. I think it's worth it, especially as it's the only type of marathon I think I could do as it has the extra aspects of it that Disney includes.
I'm a CM in the UK and I'd like to do the marathon for VoluntEARS so then at least it's going to bank some money for Great Ormond Street so I'm not just running for myself and that's another motivation I guess!
I'm pretty terrified I must admit! :p

Congrats on making the decision! If you are only going to do 1 half marathon in your life, make sure it's Disney's. I've run my share now, but Disney has the best organized races out there. Plus the entertainment and support along the course is second to none.

lukacseven

thanks dreamfinder for the reply.. I did not want to enter my 10k time then be put into a corral where I watched people pass me all race, also not wanting to be put at the back, so this helps.
You can always move back into a slower corral if you are uncomfortable being placed too far in the front. The corral placement is policed very well on race day to prevent people from moving up, but moving back is not an issue.

DTM93

Congrats on making the decision! If you are only going to do 1 half marathon in your life, make sure it's Disney's. I've run my share now, but Disney has the best organized races out there. Plus the entertainment and support along the course is second to none.

I agree definitely!
I think that Disney's marathons seem to be the best out there, but then again I guess we could all be a little biased towards Disney. :p
I think as well with the massive passion of Disney it's absolutely amazing to get out there and meet characters whilst you're running and to see backstage and some of the parade floats, seems such a good atmosphere!
I want to do the Coast to Coast next year so I'm looking at the Disneyland Half Marathon, has anyone ever done that before?
The Wine and Dine one that you did looks good too!

Orpheus7696

Hello all. I just needed some advice on the Disney full marathon in January. I am new to running and not in great shape but am training with Jeff Holloway's training schedule. Do you think it is a good idea to have that big of a goal set or can that training schedule be good enough to finish the race in January? Any comments would be appreciated!!

dreamfinder

Hello all. I just needed some advice on the Disney full marathon in January. I am new to running and not in great shape but am training with Jeff Holloway's training schedule. Do you think it is a good idea to have that big of a goal set or can that training schedule be good enough to finish the race in January? Any comments would be appreciated!!

If you follow a well laid out program that targets the date you have in mind (RunDisney offers ones that are targeted to the dates of their races) then you should be able to finish. Jeff Galloway has programs that are geared for simply getting people off the couch, out their door, and then across the finish line. So if you are following one of those, then you should be good. Most of us on the board use a big race as a target goal, be it for a new distance or a new PR. As long as you think you can maintain the pace of the training schedule, then go for it!

Texas84

I had no intention of ever doing a marathon but I got the bug after 2 years and 4 halfs. It was rough but I finished. Try a half this fall and see how you feel. Definitely find a 10K to get the experience. Maybe the marathon won't sell out until you can get a half in. Check rundisney.com for status. There is no way I could have done it starting 7 months out. You might be different.

I used the Galloway plan but I did not go past 20 in training. A few people have told me going over 20 is not necessary. I did hit the 20-mile wall last January but I recovered enough to finish. I follow the half plan to the letter.

SpongeScott

I'm in for the Goofy. After four half-mararthons, one half-relay, and one full, I guess the Goofy is the last hill for me to conquer on the January runs. I plan to walk/run the half with my wife and some friends and then plod my way through the full.

Orpheus7696

Thanks for the comments! I never wanted to run for health or fun before my wife showed me the course. I was amazed at the course. I feel as though I can do this and feeling good about my progress each day. I am thinking about doing a local half marathon in October to test myself. Thanks again!

Kristia

Thanks for the comments! I never wanted to run for health or fun before my wife showed me the course. I was amazed at the course. I feel as though I can do this and feeling good about my progress each day. I am thinking about doing a local half marathon in October to test myself. Thanks again!
Disney races are what inspired me to run too. I never had the desire to do even a 5k before I read about another member's marathon experience. I said "I want to do that!" I started running in Oct 2009 to get ready for the 2011 Marathon. I have been running ever since! It is the longest I have ever stuck with any exercise program! I am not fast and won't break any records but it is the most fun that I have ever had and so worth the effort!

Mad Stitch

I just registered for the for the full marathon. This will be my first full marathon, exactly one year after my first half marathon. I guess this turns the upcoming Disneyland Half Marathon I'm running in into a training run. I got to admit I'm scared. The cursor hovered over the "pay now" button for a long time before I clicked it, and then I cringed when I did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom