Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

fmingo36

Here's my guess...it will use the scoreboard....but display our names as well, using our timing chips.

I don't think that it's the big surprise though. From the looks of the map, mile 20 is just as you are about to leave WWoS.

When I ran the Disneyland 1/2 in Sept, we ran through Angels Stadium. They had a live feed of the runners up on the jumbo-tron and they had an announcer saying our names and where we we from. It was pretty cool. I'd imagine, they will do something along that idea.

Kristia

Someone commented on the facebook page that the first 8 miles are the same as the half marathon. I didn't even think of that, which kind of stinks if you are doing the Goofy.

Ariel484

Overall, I like the new course but I am really going to miss the early run through Epcot :cry: That was one of my favorite parts. Running on the race track will be neat, especially for my husband. I am hoping that the out and back doesn't feel as bad since running through the WWOS will break it up a bit rather than just running out and turning around. It will be nice getting to the MK in 5 miles rather than 10+!

Agree with you on the Epcot/MK points. The only downside of being in the MK earlier is now my pictures won't come out as well! :eek:

ETA: On the bright side, maybe the MK will be lit up nice and pretty for us?! I wouldn't mind that!

Someone commented on the facebook page that the first 8 miles are the same as the half marathon. I didn't even think of that, which kind of stinks if you are doing the Goofy.

I noticed that too...:shrug:

Kristia

Agree with you on the Epcot/MK points. The only downside of being in the MK earlier is now my pictures won't come out as well! :eek:

ETA: On the bright side, maybe the MK will be lit up nice and pretty for us?! I wouldn't mind that!

I noticed that too...:shrug:

I will still probably get to the MK after it gets light out lol!

MKCP 1985

I have to say I really like the new course. :D As with any marathon course, you can find things you don't like but whether you are a first timer or you have run the marathon on multiple occasions, this is a course layout that allows you to run all four parks plus the speedway plus the wide world of sports, all with the promise of great surprises and the stuff that makes the Walt Disney World marathon so special.

I've run the Goofy a couple of times and it won't bother me a bit to be running a familiar route on Sunday.

I really wish I was running this race.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'm sure this makes it easier for them on a logistics level. It gets all the runners through all the parks except HS much earlier, giving them time resume normal functions.

Texas84

I will also miss the early Epcot tour, but early MK will be epic!

Yeah, the out&back from hell is kind of still there but the WWoS breaks it up and you have the 20-mile special.

I am no longer regretting my decision to do this again. :D

dreamfinder

It kinda makes sense to have the big celebration at WWoS. From a logistics side, they can take time to get everything set up, as its not like they will be closing off portions of a popular theme park or a busy road way. Not to mention they already will have the facilities in place for volunteers, staff, and characters so hopefully they can pack tons of stuff in there. The video on the jumbotron is cool, but they used to do that for the old ToT races. I will admit adding the speedway and WWoS to the course are a good way to completely encompass all of property, but come on, trying to convince us that getting to the MK 2 miles earlier is a big surprise? Thats kinda meh. Hopefully the mile 20 celebration is really good, and not cheesy.

MKCP 1985

It kinda makes sense to have the big celebration at WWoS. From a logistics side, they can take time to get everything set up, as its not like they will be closing off portions of a popular theme park or a busy road way. Not to mention they already will have the facilities in place for volunteers, staff, and characters so hopefully they can pack tons of stuff in there. The video on the jumbotron is cool, but they used to do that for the old ToT races. I will admit adding the speedway and WWoS to the course are a good way to completely encompass all of property, but come on, trying to convince us that getting to the MK 2 miles earlier is a big surprise? Thats kinda meh. Hopefully the mile 20 celebration is really good, and not cheesy.

I didn't take from the press release that getting to the Magic Kingdom earlier was the big surprise. At least I hope not. And you arrive in the Magic Kingdom way more than 2 miles earlier, not that it matters when you are running 26.2. In the new course, you pass mile 6 in Liberty Square, and in the old course you didn't enter the Magic Kingdom until somewhere between miles 10 and 11, so you are getting there 4 miles earlier, at least.

Ariel484

I didn't take from the press release that getting to the Magic Kingdom earlier was the big surprise. At least I hope not. And you arrive in the Magic Kingdom way more than 2 miles earlier, not that it matters when you are running 26.2. In the new course, you pass mile 6 in Liberty Square, and in the old course you didn't enter the Magic Kingdom until somewhere between miles 10 and 11, so you are getting there 4 miles earlier, at least.

Have you watched the course video? They refer to getting to the Magic Kingdom "earlier than ever" as one of the surprises from the new course (along with the Speedway and the WWoS portion). It's not THE surprise though...they go on to say that the big surprise happens at mile 20/WWoS. Personally I am hoping for tons of super-rare characters! :sohappy: That would be awesome.

I am still 50-50 on how I feel about the course changes, but know it won't hinder my enjoyment of the race itself. :king:

dreamfinder

I didn't take from the press release that getting to the Magic Kingdom earlier was the big surprise.

See below.

Have you watched the course video? They refer to getting to the Magic Kingdom "earlier than ever" as one of the surprises from the new course (along with the Speedway and the WWoS portion).

Exactly. They were like "WOW!!! Now you get to MK earlier!" They were trying to sell it like "Best thing ever since we tried to build hype for the Tinkerbell with the crazy confusing hints we used!" I'll admit that a video that is just a fly over is hard to keep exciting for the whole time, but they really tried to oversell this particular change as a surprise.

Ariel484

Exactly. They were like "WOW!!! Now you get to MK earlier!" They were trying to sell it like "Best thing ever since we tried to build hype for the Tinkerbell with the crazy confusing hints we used!" I'll admit that a video that is just a fly over is hard to keep exciting for the whole time, but they really tried to oversell this particular change as a surprise.

Yeah, when I saw that I just kind of thought "Oh...cool?" :veryconfu Then I looked at the map and realized that they just made the beginning of the course the same as the half course and was not impressed.

Does anyone know how many water/aid stations there will be and how far apart they are on the course.

I think last year the water stops were every 2 miles or so for the first half of the race, then every mile-ish after the half. There may be more than that...maybe someone else can correct me. I thought they did a good job with the number of water stops. There are 5 food stops too.

ETA: I found the race program from last year and it says that there are 21 water/Powerade stops on the full course and 9 on the half course...

Ariel484

Goofy is 63% full...I wonder how they decide what registration updates they will post? I know they start when a race is 50ish% full...every couple of weeks after that?! :veryconfu Something to ponder while I'm bored at work :snore:

AUPr8Hd

Goofy is 63% full...I wonder how they decide what registration updates they will post? I know they start when a race is 50ish% full...every couple of weeks after that?! :veryconfu Something to ponder while I'm bored at work :snore:

It seems they've been updating every week lately, after it hits 50%.

Honeyrun

I have a question on the proof of time requirements for corral placement. If I am running the full marathon can I submit a half marathon time or does it have to be a full marathon time.

Kristia

I have a question on the proof of time requirements for corral placement. If I am running the full marathon can I submit a half marathon time or does it have to be a full marathon time.

You can submit any race over a 10k, so a half marathon time would be fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom