Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

lukacseven

Not at all. Disney races attract tons of runners who don't do many races, and a massive amount of first time runners. They don't offer any prizes, nor do they have a real elite program, so you don't even have many of those runners at the races. It would be interesting to see the breakdown of the runners, and where they would classify themselves. But Disney sets their races up to be a fun time for people of all abilities.

I think the Disney races, particularly the half marathon get the most diverse levels of runner than any other race I've experienced. I do think there are more beginner level or first timers at the Disney races because of the added fun factor (My first half was at Disney).

Ariel484

Thanks for the help! I don't mean to ask so many questions. I am a novice and nervous about the marathon. Do you think there are more experienced runners than not at the Disney Marathon??

I think the Disney races, particularly the half marathon get the most diverse levels of runner than any other race I've experienced. I do think there are more beginner level or first timers at the Disney races because of the added fun factor (My first half was at Disney).

My first half AND first full were at Disney! :D

shannon and kristia , it looks like ill have to to go with the 5k on friday.. so bumbed.. bc i was really looking foward to doing the half. , but i cant quite convince my friend of it. , so i just told him i would do the 5k if he would do it.. so we will see.. none the less i would still be runing at disney . and geting to go to the parks:)

I was going to say exactly what Kristy said...do the half solo! You'll still have a blast. Maybe you can do the 5k with your friend too. :)

Ariel484

Totally agree also on the candy. Chocolate and running just don't mix for me and we still had a ways to go (or so it felt)! The bananas sure hit the spot for me though!

Same here...I never used bananas during training, but man, were they a lifesaver during the marathon.

erikawins

Hi everyone! This is my first post but I'm glad I discovered this board because there are some really good tips on here. I'm 23 and a cast member and this will be my first marathon! I'm super excited! And I'd really love not to fail, so I'm taking it really seriously. Haha. I came here to ask if any bloggers (or even non-bloggers) would follow my blog. It's open to comments from non-users so anyone can read it and respond! I'm using it as a journal of sorts and it would really help to have some people following me to give me tips and support! I'd really appreciate it!

http://fourparksonerun.blogspot.com/

Good luck everyone!

Texas84

Hi everyone! This is my first post but I'm glad I discovered this board because there are some really good tips on here. I'm 23 and a cast member and this will be my first marathon! I'm super excited! And I'd really love not to fail, so I'm taking it really seriously. Haha. I came here to ask if any bloggers (or even non-bloggers) would follow my blog. It's open to comments from non-users so anyone can read it and respond! I'm using it as a journal of sorts and it would really help to have some people following me to give me tips and support! I'd really appreciate it!

http://fourparksonerun.blogspot.com/

Good luck everyone!
Welcome! Are you doing any of the other races? There might be a meet-up at the Tower 10-miler. You can meet some of the crazy people on here and talk running.

BTW, saw your Phillips link. They have good sound but I can't keep them in my ears. I'm going to try the Yurbuds next.

erikawins

Unfortunately I was too late to sign up for the 10-miler :( but I would love to meet up with some people later because I'm doing my races solo as far as I know. Can't get anyone motivated enough!

enchanted_belle

So... I think I've decided to be a bit crazy. Printing out my marathon training schedule right now and getting started this week! Figured it would be a good way to get in gear for ToT in Sept since the training fell right with it, and give me a reason to continue on after the race and keep my training up! Oh boy...

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
So... I think I've decided to be a bit crazy. Printing out my marathon training schedule right now and getting started this week! Figured it would be a good way to get in gear for ToT in Sept since the training fell right with it, and give me a reason to continue on after the race and keep my training up! Oh boy...
Yup...Galloway's training schedule starts Tuesday, and we'll be following it here.

Orpheus7696

We are starting it also!! Do you think that we should walk on Monday's and Wednesday's or will that interfere with the training schedule??

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Galloway stated that as long as it's a slow paced walk, it should be fine. He warns against speed or power walking. I'm going to do yoga in there to try and keep my hamstrings from exploding, and might throw in some other strength training now and then as needed

Katherine

So, I'm having a dilemma. Right now I"m signed up to run my first Goofy! Woo hoo! I'm very excited but now I'm also kicking around the idea of running the Tinkerbell half the week after. Is this too much? I've run the full marathon twice now so I know how my body feels after a race like that. I know this would be pushing my body a lot but I really want to get my coast to coast medal!

Thoughts? Has anyone done this before?

Kristia

So, I'm having a dilemma. Right now I"m signed up to run my first Goofy! Woo hoo! I'm very excited but now I'm also kicking around the idea of running the Tinkerbell half the week after. Is this too much? I've run the full marathon twice now so I know how my body feels after a race like that. I know this would be pushing my body a lot but I really want to get my coast to coast medal!

I am going for my first Goofy as well! I have only done the full once before and have never done the Goofy so I really can't give you any advice on if it will be too soon to run the Tinkerbell. I am going for a Coast to Coast also in 2013 and plan to run the Disneyland Half in Sept. Is there any reason you have to run the Tinkerbell to get the Coast to Coast? Why not wait till Sept and give your body time to recover? For me, I know that running that kind of mileage so soon after the Goofy would be too much. You know your body better than anyone. Are you used to running alot of miles? I pretty much only run to train for the Disney races (with some locals thrown in there) so I am not used to lots of mileage until the build up for the marathon.

Katherine

I am going for my first Goofy as well! I have only done the full once before and have never done the Goofy so I really can't give you any advice on if it will be too soon to run the Tinkerbell. I am going for a Coast to Coast also in 2013 and plan to run the Disneyland Half in Sept. Is there any reason you have to run the Tinkerbell to get the Coast to Coast? Why not wait till Sept and give your body time to recover? For me, I know that running that kind of mileage so soon after the Goofy would be too much. You know your body better than anyone. Are you used to running alot of miles? I pretty much only run to train for the Disney races (with some locals thrown in there) so I am not used to lots of mileage until the build up for the marathon.

There isn't any real reason I should run the Tinkerbell other than I think it would be fun. I have a co-worker who wants to run it and so I was kicking it around. I'd would definitely take the Tinkerbell slow and listen to my body. My plan was to sign up for the Disneyland Half in September of '13 to get my Coast to Coast but since I'm living in Cali now it would make the Tinkerbell possible as a weekend adventure. Either way it'll be great. I'm so excited to to run the Goofy and take lots of pictures along the way! I'm excited to see the 20 mile spectacular!

dreamfinder

I'd really say it depends on how exactly you recover from the full. Some people say to pick right back where you were on your reverse taper, and just keep at it. Others recommend a week or so of cross training to keep everything loose, but let your body recover.

LindsayLoves

171 days 20 hour and 7 minutes until the marathon!
I'm Lindsay and this is my first Disney race and first full marathon. I will be running with my brother (who is super slacking on his training right now) and we are just starting to plan our trip for January. We are trying to keep in mind the goal of this trip is the marathon so we aren't going to be doing crazy hours in the park as we normally would. As for my training I have been following the Galloway plan doing at least 45 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursday (4-5 miles) but keeping to his set mileage on the weekend. I have done several short races 5k- 5mile in NYC and have plans for a 10k (for the time to submit for the marathon) and a half before the race comes up to prepare. Just wanted to pop in and say "hi"!

Ariel484

171 days 20 hour and 7 minutes until the marathon!
I'm Lindsay and this is my first Disney race and first full marathon. I will be running with my brother (who is super slacking on his training right now) and we are just starting to plan our trip for January. We are trying to keep in mind the goal of this trip is the marathon so we aren't going to be doing crazy hours in the park as we normally would. As for my training I have been following the Galloway plan doing at least 45 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursday (4-5 miles) but keeping to his set mileage on the weekend. I have done several short races 5k- 5mile in NYC and have plans for a 10k (for the time to submit for the marathon) and a half before the race comes up to prepare. Just wanted to pop in and say "hi"!

Welcome! :)

Ah...your brother sounds like my brother. We are also going to be participating in marathon weekend, and I'm pretty sure he won't be training as diligently as I will be (if history is any indication...he didn't train for the 2011 Princess Half and didn't train much for the 2012 WDW Full). Silly brothers! :rolleyes:

Good luck with your training!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom