Toy Story Playland

Magenta Panther

Problem was last year a huge pit of money was suddenly made available. A lot of things were achieved that could have been done a lot cheaper with more time. Now they have that time...

So long as a line is drawn between efficient and cheap.

I'm hoping for "imaginative" and "mind-blowing".

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Where did you get the $56 million for Dumbo? I have the cost at $80,000,000 from Jim Hill on Episode 142 of the WDW Fan Boys Podcast.
Something still doesn't add up for me. $80M would be about 20% of the entire budget for FLE. And we weren't even talking about the indoor queue or moving the original dumbo. How much did Mine Train cost? How about LM? BOG? All of that rock work plus mechanics and show buildings for those rides had to cost significantly more than a spinner. I've heard some pretty high numbers for smaller items too like Enchanted Tales too. Unless the actual cost for FLE came in way over budget something doesn't add up.

I also take back my other statements about TSPL. If flat rides cost $80M each then they should just build dark rides instead.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Something still doesn't add up for me. $80M would be about 20% of the entire budget for FLE. And we weren't even talking about the indoor queue or moving the original dumbo. How much did Mine Train cost? How about LM? BOG? All of that rock work plus mechanics and show buildings for those rides had to cost significantly more than a spinner. I've heard some pretty high numbers for smaller items too like Enchanted Tales too. Unless the actual cost for FLE came in way over budget something doesn't add up.

I also take back my other statements about TSPL. If flat rides cost $80M each then they should just build dark rides instead.

Just to give you a little concrete info, according to some lien documents I found the structural steel alone for the Dumbo tent cost $712,275, and if I remember correctly, demolition of the the old Dumbo foundation was close to $750,000.

Correction, the demo was $410,859, still a hefty sum.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Just to give you a little concrete info, according to some lien documents I found the structural steel alone for the Dumbo tent cost $712,275, and if I remember correctly, demolition of the the old Dumbo foundation was close to $750,000.

I wonder if $80 mil was for all of Storybook Circus, that seems more likely.

roj2323

Having done concrete work for a number of years the only reason I can think of that the removal would be this costly is if it had asbestos in it. Concrete is fairly affordable to remove otherwise as most of it is recycled into gravel sub-base for new projects and the rebar is sent off to be melted down. When I was driving a truck with a 6yard dump body it was only $20 to dump a load at the recycling place.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

That is a lot. The demo was probably a little more expensive and time consuming than just knocking down a ride because they had to disassemble and move the existing ride. The original number quoted by @SirLink was $56M for just the 2nd spinner (materials and installation). That didn't include the cost of the demo/move work for the existing Dumbo or the new queue area.
I wonder if $80 mil was for all of Storybook Circus, that seems more likely.
Yes. That makes more sense. There is quite a bit of detail work on The train station and restroom plus the splash zone, meet and greet/gift shop tents and the re-theming of barnstormer. They also had to demo Toontown. I could see all of that plus the Dumbo area possibly adding up to $80M.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Indeed. The Frozen-saves-2014-DHS-attendence-promotion was rushed through all departments like not seen before. Here's hoping this years is more creative given the extra time, money and lessons learnt.

Yes here is hoping that WDW gives a better show than last year's, However last years was insanely popular so with Disney's current financial myopia I'm expecting they will simply trot out last year's show and call it good. Lots of people came so why should we improve it in fact lets' do a little 'budget magic'...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Problem was last year a huge pit of money was suddenly made available. A lot of things were achieved that could have been done a lot cheaper with more time. Now they have that time...

So long as a line is drawn between efficient and cheap.

It being WDW I'm betting on the cheap.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Having done concrete work for a number of years the only reason I can think of that the removal would be this costly is if it had asbestos in it. Concrete is fairly affordable to remove otherwise as most of it is recycled into gravel sub-base for new projects and the rebar is sent off to be melted down. When I was driving a truck with a 6yard dump body it was only $20 to dump a load at the recycling place.

The contractor was Central Environmental Services, so it's possible that asbestos was an issue. Another thing that might have increased the cost is that there are utilidors in that area so they would have to take a lot more care with the demolition.

That is a lot. The demo was probably a little more expensive and time consuming than just knocking down a ride because they had to disassemble and move the existing ride. The original number quoted by @SirLink was $56M for just the 2nd spinner (materials and installation). That didn't include the cost of the demo/move work for the existing Dumbo or the new queue area.

I don't believe they were involved in the ride disassembly. The lien has the dates of work and they didn't start until after the ride disassembly was well underway.

HunnyHunter

It always makes me wonder why a simple attraction like a spinner is always so expenisve at Disney compared to other parks. Not that that's a bad thing though, since those attractions are always the top of the bill compared to other spinners. But it still makes me wonder.

doctornick

So, this has been rumored for months, with even credible insiders here (as well as Micechat) saying it is happening. But we have yet to see any activity for this development. Is some version of Toy Story Playland still on the table? Is anything going on backstage preparing for it? Do we have any idea as to the timeframe?

My initial thought when hearing about this is that it would be done relatively quickly given the ease of development -- maybe even being in place by the end of 2015. That seems unrealistic now, but it is odd to think it would be opening by the middle of 2016? I mean, the rides themselves might be getting built off site as we speak and just need to be assembled on site.

ToTBellHop

So, this has been rumored for months, with even credible insiders here (as well as Micechat) saying it is happening. But we have yet to see any activity for this development. Is some version of Toy Story Playland still on the table? Is anything going on backstage preparing for it? Do we have any idea as to the timeframe?

My initial thought when hearing about this is that it would be done relatively quickly given the ease of development -- maybe even being in place by the end of 2015. That seems unrealistic now, but it is odd to think it would be opening by the middle of 2016? I mean, the rides themselves might be getting built off site as we speak and just need to be assembled on site.
It's still on the table. But not under construction. Like everything for DHS. How much dust will accumulate on said table before they start pushing some dirt around?

WDW1974 said clearing would begin after Easter. Here we are, after Easter. No clearing. So Disney is seemingly delaying further. They don't seem to be in any hurry to deal with DHS, do they? DAK will be rolling them in next year, and the year after, so no need until 2018, right? And no need to start building a halfpipe coaster than Six Flags builds in in 4 months now if they don't want it to open for at least 3 years, right?

HauntedMansionFLA

Hopefully there will be some answers at the D23 - Disney will come in with their presentations and artwork. Pixar, Star Wars, and Avatar will hopefully be on center stage.

doctornick

Hopefully there will be some answers at the D23 - Disney will come in with their presentations and artwork. Pixar, Star Wars, and Avatar will hopefully be on center stage.

I would like to think so. I mean, people are focused on Star Wars -- understandably given the popularity -- but I'd be pretty happy if there is a Pixar focused D23 presentation for DHS. I'm dying to have some official confirmation of something being added to DHS.

In the fall, there was all this talk about a significant amount of capital being directed towards DHS and many closures, which lead me to think that some development was going to be initiated soon. But now we are almost in May and no one has reported any work except on the third track for TSMM.

cheezbat

DHS needs the love big time. Five rides in a park? Disgusting. Honestly, at this place and time id take Walt Disney Studios Paris in its current form over DHS right now. Aside from the hat finally being gone and having Tower of Terror and Star Tours, the park is a joke.

Bocabear

It really is...On our trips to WDW the past few years we have skipped it entirely....and really didn't feel like we missed anything.... Funny thing is, it used to be one of our favorites.
I like the 5 rides in the park...but there is not enough other than that...I think at this point it really needs the full DCA treatment. Actually DCA opened with more rides than DHS has now... that is pretty pathetic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom