Toy Story Playland

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Mater's is a WDI designed ride system, not off the shelf. It is also highly themed. If they stick with this kind of attraction, I don't think most folks here will have much of a problem with it. But we no longer trust Disney to do it right. We know they are more than willing to plop a portable mad mouse in the park, paint Mickey on it and call it a "Disney Quality" attraction.

And there is good reason that we don't want that cheap carp in our Disney Parks. Disney went from 1957 (rocket jets) until 2001 (Mulholland Madness/Orange Stinger/Maliboomer) without introducing a new Disney attraction based on off the shelf ride systems. 44 years without new carnival rides in the Disney Parks. During that time they built MK, Epcot Center, Tokyo Disneyland, Disney-MGM Studios, EuroDisney, and Disney's Animal Kingdom, all without the need to utilize cheap carnival rides. It was during this period of NOT USING CARNIVAL RIDES, that Disney established themeselves as the global leader in Destination Theme Park Resorts.

So, now that Disney is a $130B multinational media conglomerate there is suddenly a need for cheap carp?

Not buying it.

We are getting cheap carp because people will defend it like it was their Mom.
I could be completely wrong, but I just don't see them adding what you are calling "off the shelf" carnival rides. Disney has shown a desire to be cheap, but not impractical. Those types of rides just won't work in a park that will be expecting 10M+ guests a year after this project is complete (average well over 25K people a day). Rides that support less than 500 people per hour just don't make sense for a park that is that crowded. I think Mater in DCA has a capacity of about 600 riders per hour. They probably should consider doubling the ride if it comes to DHS (like Dumbo) to get to 1,200 per hour which would likely mean keeping waits under 30 mins. It wouldn't double the cost for the ride since you would use the same queue and some common areas for maintenance. I have no idea what the capacity is for the new ride replacing Luigi's.

roj2323

Indeed. The Frozen-saves-2014-DHS-attendence-promotion was rushed through all departments like not seen before. Here's hoping this years is creative given the extra time, money and lessons learnt.

Well given the success of Frozen summer Fun I hope they give them the exact same amount of time to plan more events. The reason I say this is it was nice to see a well planned event that hadn't had 3 month with the budget trimming department. I kinda wonder what kind of attractions we might get if they used the same system. Give the imagineers a decent budget and a topic and let them do what they do best.

flyerjab

My great hope for all of this conjecture is that plans are really revealed at D23 this year (or at least some official announcement of some kind). I enjoy following who thinks what will happen and how close some people are to being right (or totally wrong).

At least some type of announcement will give us something more concrete to discuss.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well given the success of Frozen summer Fun I hope they give them the exact same amount of time to plan more events. The reason I say this is it was nice to see a well planned event that hadn't had 3 month with the budget trimming department. .
Problem was last year a huge pit of money was suddenly made available. A lot of things were achieved that could have been done a lot cheaper with more time. Now they have that time...

So long as a line is drawn between efficient and cheap.

SirLink

Before someone chimes in with the idea that they could have built a dark ride or 2 that would appeal to both kids and adults, I'll say I don't disagree with that. However, keep in mind that the cost of an entire TSPL is less than $100M while a single dark ride is probably double that so if we got 2 dark rides instead of TSPL it would cost 4Xs as much. The total budget for the DHS redo is not unlimited. I'd rather see a larger chunk set aside for Star Wars and possibly an E-ticket Pixar ride. TSPL will add necessary capacity and appeal to kids and their families. On its own it would be incredibly disappointing but as part of a major park overhaul I think it becomes a nice addition.

Haaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaa

Adding a second Dumbo in the Magic Kingdom cost around $56million. Then when you theme the area etc for TSPL will end up costing just north of $250million...

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Adding a second Dumbo in the Magic Kingdom cost around $56million. Then when you theme the area etc for TSPL will end up costing just north of $250million...
I'm glad you got a laugh out of my post. You seem a bit grumpy most of the time:)

I've never seen the cost of FLE broken down so I don't know if that's a good number or not. Dumbo was a bit of a unique case. It was disassembled, moved, reassembled, then they built a mirror clone and a large indoor queue area. I'm pretty sure that just doubling the spinner portion of the ride did not cost $56M.

The TSPL as it stands in Paris cost $80M to build several years ago. Sure if they double capacity for some rides or substitute more elaborate rides from DCA the price would go up, but I doubt it would cost more than 3Xs as much to build. The rides rumored to come still don't need show buildings, expensive rock work or elaborate indoor queues.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My great hope for all of this conjecture is that plans are really revealed at D23 this year (or at least some official announcement of some kind). I enjoy following who thinks what will happen and how close some people are to being right (or totally wrong).

At least some type of announcement will give us something more concrete to discuss.
Iger did let the cat out of the bag on the name change during the shareholder meeting, but he didn't give a timeframe for when it would happen or even when it would be announced. The rumor is that something Star Wars will be announced at D23 so it's possible they announce the whole project.

SirLink

I'm glad you got a laugh out of my post. You seem a bit grumpy most of the time:)

I've never seen the cost of FLE broken down so I don't know if that's a good number or not. Dumbo was a bit of a unique case. It was disassembled, moved, reassembled, then they built a mirror clone and a large indoor queue area. I'm pretty sure that just doubling the spinner portion of the ride did not cost $56M.

The TSPL as it stands in Paris cost $80M to build several years ago. Sure if they double capacity for some rides or substitute more elaborate rides from DCA the price would go up, but I doubt it would cost more than 3Xs as much to build. The rides rumored to come still don't need show buildings, expensive rock work or elaborate indoor queues.

The $56million that figure was just for the second spinner just purchase and installation. Well you have restrooms and shops and Midway games to install etc. It soon adds up. As well as R+D for overlaying new themes on two existing rides.

Also even though it shouldn't the Swamps cost more to build according to WDI. See @marni1971

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Which in itself is a ridiculous sum. Thankfully recent events should mean EDLSCA don't have to jump through Burbanks price list hoop in the future.
Agreed. Everything they do is insanely overpriced. However, if 1 spinner without the queue area cost $56M to build then $80M for TSPL is a real bargain.

Cousin Huet

T
I could be completely wrong, but I just don't see them adding what you are calling "off the shelf" carnival rides. Disney has shown a desire to be cheap, but not impractical. Those types of rides just won't work in a park that will be expecting 10M+ guests a year after this project is complete (average well over 25K people a day). Rides that support less than 500 people per hour just don't make sense for a park that is that crowded. I think Mater in DCA has a capacity of about 600 riders per hour. They probably should consider doubling the ride if it comes to DHS (like Dumbo) to get to 1,200 per hour which would likely mean keeping waits under 30 mins. It wouldn't double the cost for the ride since you would use the same queue and some common areas for maintenance. I have no idea what the capacity is for the new ride replacing Luigi's.

The only thing I could add to this is that DCA has an area themed more towards kids or families with these more off the shelf type rides in the Bugs Life area. They still utilize this even though the attendance there since the reimagining of the park has exploded, so it is not unprecedented to have a section with less than breathtaking rides to eat up some families and kids that don't want to wait in long lines or ride the more thrilling attractions like a Tower of Terror or one of the Roller Coaster options. I would not be surmised if the toy story stuff added was a little less ambitious. I still think they will go all in on a Cars type attraction and obviously the big Star Wars area. We will see how it all works out though.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
T

The only thing I could add to this is that DCA has an area themed more towards kids or families with these more off the shelf type rides in the Bugs Life area. They still utilize this even though the attendance there since the reimagining of the park has exploded, so it is not unprecedented to have a section with less than breathtaking rides to eat up some families and kids that don't want to wait in long lines or ride the more thrilling attractions like a Tower of Terror or one of the Roller Coaster options. I would not be surmised if the toy story stuff added was a little less ambitious. I still think they will go all in on a Cars type attraction and obviously the big Star Wars area. We will see how it all works out though.
This is true. There is a place for smaller rides with low capacity. It worked OK in MK because there are so many other rides. In a park with only 6 rides if they add 3 more they need to have enough capacity to accommodate most of the guests.

The logistics of DCA is still different than WDW. There are a lot of locals and more frequent visitors. People don't always have to ride every ride on each visit. With WDW there are so many more first time, once in a lifetime or infrequent visitors who have the mentality that they want to ride every ride. DHS desperately needs more rides to give people something to do and to disperse crowds away from the handful of headliners. The BLT (even in its watered down final form) took up a chunk of time for a lot of guests. They need to give people something to do to replace that. If the rides only have enough capacity to accommodate 25% of guests the other 75% will still need something to do.

Cousin Huet

This is true. There is a place for smaller rides with low capacity. It worked OK in MK because there are so many other rides. In a park with only 6 rides if they add 3 more they need to have enough capacity to accommodate most of the guests.

The logistics of DCA is still different than WDW. There are a lot of locals and more frequent visitors. People don't always have to ride every ride on each visit. With WDW there are so many more first time, once in a lifetime or infrequent visitors who have the mentality that they want to ride every ride. DHS desperately needs more rides to give people something to do and to disperse crowds away from the handful of headliners. The BLT (even in its watered down final form) took up a chunk of time for a lot of guests. They need to give people something to do to replace that. If the rides only have enough capacity to accommodate 25% of guests the other 75% will still need something to do.

Definitely, that is why I think the Pixar stuff has to include a decent offering from the Carsland mold.....whether it is Cars, Monsters or even more Toy Story but a combo of the three would be best. Then add the Star Wars stuff with an impressive offering of several more rides and a few really nice eating and entertainment experiences and the kiddish Toy Story Playland then makes more sense to me......I guess I just assume that they will go ahead with the other stuff to go along with that. If they add only that to Pixar Place then it will be a huge miss.

UpAllNight

All I see mentioned regarding a Pixar area is cars and toy story. Pixar has so such potential that it upsets me to not see it utilised. Imagine a spiderman-esque ride themed to the incredibles, as one example. Is nobody thinking outside of the box anymore? I can see the purpose of a toy story playland if done better than the Paris version, but there needs to be so such more.

It's been 11 years since I last went to what was MGM. I'm going again this year and obviously have followed goings on. I can't believe that one of my favourite parks will somehow have less to do than 11 years ago.

doctornick

All I see mentioned regarding a Pixar area is cars and toy story. Pixar has so such potential that it upsets me to not see it utilised. Imagine a spiderman-esque ride themed to the incredibles, as one example. Is nobody thinking outside of the box anymore? I can see the purpose of a toy story playland if done better than the Paris version, but there needs to be so such more.

Yes, I agree that it would be sad if this Pixar expansion only included Toy Story and Cars. I'm naively holding out hope that we might see at least one ride themed to Incredibles, Monsters Inc, Ratatouille, Up, etc.

Also, I do actually expect the HISTK playground to finally get re-themed to Bug's Life

RSoxNo1

Where did you get the $56 million for Dumbo? I have the cost at $80,000,000 from Jim Hill on Episode 142 of the WDW Fan Boys Podcast.

UpAllNight

Yes, I agree that it would be sad if this Pixar expansion only included Toy Story and Cars. I'm naively holding out hope that we might see at least one ride themed to Incredibles, Monsters Inc, Ratatouille, Up, etc.

Also, I do actually expect the HISTK playground to finally get re-themed to Bug's Life

Monsters inc is under utilised...it's a classic IMO.

They could even put in clones of rides if they were desperate to save R&D costs...Monsters from Tokyo, Ratatouille from Paris. It's upsetting to think that, what should be the flagship Disney experience, can't offer guests something original though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom