Ticket Prices going up on August 5th.

DisneyYorkian74

I love WDW but this is really getting to be too much...

And as much as I love WDW, it is not worth $83 a day.

I could understand a price hike if it were justified by Disney providing new services/improvements; but it seems like all they've done for the past year or so is make cutbacks...

Disney better be planning something big for WDW's 40th next year...:fork:

ToTBellHop

I know many of us like to think otherwise (with comments about how we may lose our jobs but are still looking toward a Disney trip), but Disney is a luxury and it is priced appropriately. Very few people pay that $82 number and if you compare it to the gate price at your average Six Flags (about $50, a number very few people actually pay as well), it's reasonable. I would argue even with the cutbacks of late, Disney is at least 60% better than a Six Flags (which has also made cutbacks).

Prices will always rise, and if people could afford $79 in 2010, they can afford $82 next year. If your budget was so tight that $3 is the difference between going to Disney or not, you probably shouldn't be planning a Disney vacation anyway.

bgraham34

I know many of us like to think otherwise (with comments about how we may lose our jobs but are still looking toward a Disney trip), but Disney is a luxury and it is priced appropriately. Very few people pay that $82 number and if you compare it to the gate price at your average Six Flags (about $50, a number very few people actually pay as well), it's reasonable. I would argue even with the cutbacks of late, Disney is at least 60% better than a Six Flags (which has also made cutbacks).

Prices will always rise, and if people could afford $79 in 2010, they can afford $82 next year. If your budget was so tight that $3 is the difference between going to Disney or not, you probably shouldn't be planning a Disney vacation anyway.

Yes Disney is a luxury that is for sure, but saying that if someone can afford 79 in 2010 and not 82 in 2011 because the budget is too tight might be right. But you forget how much ticket prices have risen over the last few years. Once they break the 100 barrier it is a whole new ballgame.

duff527

It stinks that they have to raise prices, but when a family is paying $3000 for a week long trip that includes flights, tickets, resort, and meals, I dont think raising the price to $3050 is going to cause many change of plans. You're not gonna see a dramatic attendance drop off from one year to the next. You'd have to look across a 10 year period to see it.

As long as they keep offering discounts, people will keep coming. Free meal plan for 6 nights for a family of 4 saves them almost $1000. Pay 4 nights, get 3 free saves you almost $800 at a moderate priced resort. My guess is that Disney sees how these deals bring people in, and figures that a small hike in ticket price helps them recoup some of that profit loss without scaring people away.

prberk

A lot of this sounds like the old "boiling crabs" argument: If you drop a crab into boiling water, he jumps and tries to get out; but if you slowly raise the temperature, he won't notice as much.

But either way, he is dead.

Disney is great. But the prices are out of hand. Period.

I know whole families who just cannot afford or justify it, especially when they can get a beach house in Nags Head or spend a week a Myrtle Beach for half the price. They want to take the whole family to Disney, but just can't afford it, and raising prices does not help.

Disney was always a little expensive (especially for the luxury resorts), but was not always this out of sync with everyone else. Go online and price a week in Vegas. Compare Yacht Club or Grand Floridian prices with nice the Ocean Creek resort on the beach at Myrtle Beach. (www.oceancreek.com). Or any other place you want to compare.

Paul

timeman

Original Poster
A friend of mine is planning on going for three days in September and their plan is to go after Labor Day this year and probably the same time next year also. I told her last week that Disney would probably be raising their prices this month so she bought her tickets online over the weekend.

Since she is planning on going only for 3 days this year and probably won't be going again within a year's time she decided to get the 8 day ticket with Park Hopper & No Expiration. This way she will be able to use these tickets for her trip this year and the next two trips after that even if it takes her 3 or 4 years to use all 8 days. She bought both her & her husband tickets along with their little girl. She paid $441 + tax for both her and her husband's tickets and a little less for her daughter's. If she had waited to buy those same tickets when they went in September she would have had to paid $488 + tax for two of the tickets and a little less for her daughter's. Buying the tickets before the prices went up saved her around $150 if you include taxes. That is almost the cost of a two day ticket for one person.

fosse76

How do you figure? Even the smallest Six Flags park has more rides than all of the WDW parks combined. And the cutbacks they make aren't generally on the consumer-end. You can argue quality and themeing all you want, but that's just a red herring. What exactly has Disney done or added to justify ANY increase?

I remember a few years ago on Broadway we had a strike, because the producers claimed that costs were getting higher and they didn't want to spend more money on salaries. The thing is, salaries are tied into contracts. Over the five years the contract was in place, there no increases in costs. There couldn't be. Yet they raised ticket prices significantly. It was all about profit. And that's what this is. Disney's attendance increased solely because of the massive hotel discounting they've been doing. It's easier to eat the cost of an increase in the ticket price when you are saving 40% on your hotel room.

Stop being an apologist. I hate the argumet that if one can't afford an extra $3 they shouldn't be going in the first place. That's a nonsensical argument. Everyone has a threshold. Some people budget to the penny. And just because their threshold is lower than yours doesn't mean they are struggling, nor does it mean they don't have the right to go.

majorrfb

You are the optomist!

I'm hoping they will take advantage of this for the better and use the extra money they earn to re-invest it into in-park improval.

I would love to see new attractions added and more than routine maintanence for the parks. As a senior citizen who loves WDW the only
thing for sure is price increases with little else in the near future. :hammer:

happykid25

So I'm a math person and so had to compare all the base ticket prices and what the increase are etc...

I'm wondering, from what I found, if Disney is trying to slowly fade out Kids Pricing? Seeing as they went from an approx $35 difference between Adults and Kids multiday tickets last year to a $24 difference this year.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
So I'm a math person and so had to compare all the base ticket prices and what the increase are etc...

I'm wondering, from what I found, if Disney is trying to slowly fade out Kids Pricing? Seeing as they went from an approx $35 difference between Adults and Kids multiday tickets last year to a $24 difference this year.

Yeah I noticed this also. Its also interesting that the Premier Passport is the same price ($700) for both adults and kids.

happykid25

The difference also decreased on the Regular AP's, but not as much ($8 instead of $10)

2009/10
Adult.......Kids.........Difference
$520.78--$460.08--$60.70

2010/11
Adult.......Kids.........Difference
$531.44--$479.25--$52.19

The Ap's are the best value in the price increase as basing the increase on a per day fee and figuring you'd buy an AP if going more than 10 days. There is $.97(A)/$1.74(K) increase per day (over 11 days). Compared to the next lowest increase per day of $1.77(A) on a 3-day ticket/$3.09(K) on a 10-day ticket

I guess for me since we always get regular AP's and get in two/three trips the increases seem nominal to me. But looking at the regular multiday tickets is a bit of a shocker, especially when seeing the comparisons from the not too distant past.

(Pricing includes taxes.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom