Ticket Prices going up on August 5th.

Skip

Vote with your wallets or the prices will keep going up. I haven't bought any Disney tickets in years and don't plan to until the parks get back to a reasonable level of quality for the outrageous price they're telling me I should pay.

JPWDW2

It's pretty simple. Don't come until the value for the price becomes acceptable to you. Vacation is not a right or entitlement.
On a side, I edited my original post. And yes that's true and that's what lots of people will do. Wait until the price is valuable and then enjoy!.

Tom

Beta Return
On a side, I edited my original post. And yes that's true and that's what lots of people will do. Wait until the price is valuable and then enjoy!. On the other side.. Where do you live?! Since when vacations are not a right for legal workers?

Days off from work aren't a right, as granted by the Constitution, and neither are trips to Disney World. Both are privileges.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
On a side, I edited my original post. And yes that's true and that's what lots of people will do. Wait until the price is valuable and then enjoy!. On the other side.. Where do you live?! Since when vacations are not a right for legal workers?

I live in America, if you are not familiar with where Texas is located.

cheezbat

BOO!!!!

Poor show Disney!

I know to many, they visit for like a week and save money by buying the multi-day tickets. Well for somebody like me, I take my siblings out to a park for their birthday every year. Thats ONE day I pay for Disney for each of them...i didn't do it this year, instead we opted to visit waterparks and Universal instead, and guess what? With this move Disney is losing more money from me this year.

My vacation this year is also going to California...the place where the company is ACTAULLY spending money....and where Disney will be getting MY money. Disneyland resort.

No thanks Walt Disney World.

WDW-Tex

Made the news here in CT this morning... mildly shocking (that it made morning news) .... disappointing that they raised prices..

FutureCEO

disney will realize they can't keep doing this until no one goes to their parks but yet people will continue to pay.

the price of tickets have gone up $30 within this decade alone. because my parents pay for the hotel and other things and I just have to pay for the tickets and plane, I will pay but if I was paying for the whole trip myself, I would not.

Most of Disney is overpriced anyway. If they want more revenue, cut back on management salary and overspending.

CaptainWinter

Don't forget healthcare :lookaroun I'm sure Disney pays plenty of employee healthcare insurance premiums, and those will be increasing soon.

Good point. Health care premiums have been going up from 10% - 30% per year for many years, and this year will be no exception. This is an increase in their operating costs that doesn't show up in any obvious way for the guests, but it's there, and it must be paid for.

The fact is, WDW is not now and has never been providing a public service, and their prices don't impinge on anyone's "rights". Like any business, WDW will charge what the market can bear. If 30 million people would show up for $1000 a day, why wouldn't they charge that? When people stop showing up, they'll stop raising prices.

I agree the $82 one-day figure is very high, and kind of a buzzkill. But clearly they're trying to steer people away from being one-day customers. If you look at, for example, a 5-day vacation with lodging on the premises (and free transit from the airport), it's still IMO a bargain, and reasonably affordable on a middle-class budget.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
disney will realize they can't keep doing this until no one goes to their parks but yet people will continue to pay.

the price of tickets have gone up $30 within this decade alone. because my parents pay for the hotel and other things and I just have to pay for the tickets and plane, I will pay but if I was paying for the whole trip myself, I would not.

Most of Disney is overpriced anyway. If they want more revenue, cut back on management salary and overspending.

So, how have you verified that Disney pays all it's management too much and overspends? Just curious as it seems you have some personal factual knowledge of their practices. :shrug:

NX2I85

Even with the increases, Disney is STILL a darn bit cheaper than it would cost me to haul the wife and kids to the beach, shell out the bucks for acceptable accommodations, buy tix for 2-3 dinner shows, eat out, shop at the tourist traps, and spend a day at an amusement park while there.

misterID

Great post. And people will pay, but imagine the families who take an annual disney vacation once a year, if they change that to once every 2 years, some even 3 considering the money they spend getting there, staying there, and getting home. That will hurt Disney in the long run.

I know some people like this idea of weeding people out, but if Disney loses them it'll really hurt the parks. Badly.

So, how have you verified that Disney pays all it's management too much and overspends? Just curious as it seems you have some personal factual knowledge of their practices. :shrug:

He's actually very correct. Back when my family was closely associated with Disney we knew some of the inner Eisner workings-incentives corporate structure and bonus plans. Its not any different than any other corporation out there, so I don't know why you'd think Disney is different. Execs get paid a lot. They also get bonuses when it comes to spending/budget/profits. They never take pay cuts. Like ticket prices, they all go up, never go down. The only time they take a pay cut is when the press gets wind of exec earnings/bonuses, while laying off large amounts of their work force in the name of "trying to keep the budget *incentives intact* under control," but never taking a pay cut/sacrifice themselves... Which Disney has also done themselves.

But again, none of that has anything to do with why they raise ticket prices. They are very able to pay their theme park expenses without raising ticket prices. It's all about adding to the profits. Disney makes huge profits in food and cheap merch they sell at a premium price. That's what they like, the merch sales and making 1000% profits. These raised prices are going to really, really hurt merch sales. So that's anther thing I don't understand.

TBH, this didn't start with the current execs at Disney. It's really a tradition of raising prices every few years because the logic is average incomes steadily (supposedly) rise every few years. They've just made a hugely bad decision not to change that right now, imo. But they could be working on future discount packages too, for all we know.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Great post. And people will pay, but imagine the families who take an annual disney vacation once a year, if they change that to once every 2 years, some even 3 considering the money they spend getting there, staying there, and getting home. That will hurt Disney in the long run.

I know some people like this idea of weeding people out, but if Disney loses them it'll really hurt the parks. Badly.
That has not happened in the last 39 years. What makes this price hike any different than the 42 that preceded it?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
He's actually very correct. Back when my family was closely associated with Disney we knew some of the inner Eisner workings-incentives corporate structure and bonus plans. Its not any different than any other corporation out there, so I don't know why you'd think Disney is different. Execs get paid a lot. They also get bonuses when it comes to spending/budget/profits. They never take pay cuts. Like ticket prices, they all go up, never go down. The only time they take a pay cut is when the press gets wind of exec earnings/bonuses, while laying off large amounts of their work force in the name of "trying to keep the budget *incentives intact* under control," but never taking a pay cut/sacrifice themselves... Which Disney has also done themselves.
Had he said Executive salaries, etc, I might tend to agree....However he used management as his qualifier. Management encompasses people all the way down to the supervisors at many different levels. So the comment insinuated that all management takes unreasonable salaries and that is just not the case. Further, to state that because you had contacts during the Eisner era, therefore you know what is going on today, is also not a basis to emphatically state that there is waste in the Disney company.

My point is, words mean things. To just broadly state that there is a problem in the Disney corporation with wasteful spending and outrageous salaries is just a "feel good" statement that has no basis or support.

CaptainWinter

Disney makes huge profits in food and cheap merch they sell at a premium price. That's what they like, the merch sales and making 1000% profits. These raised prices are going to really, really hurt merch sales.

That's an excellent point. If people feel like they've stretched just for tickets, they will close up their wallets for the $10 helium balloons etc.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

There are no federal laws guaranteeing vacation (paid or unpaid) for any workers.

cheezbat

Yeah...i hardly ever buy merch when visiting the parks anymore, since I haveto spend so much on parking and my ticket already.

Somebody earlier said that you pay for the Disney difference...and that a ticket for Universal is $3 cheaper, but the Disney quality makes it way more worth it...well, I disagree with that. Universal at least has built a new attraction for each of their parks in the past year. Universal got the Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket, and Islands of Adventure got the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. What has Disney added this year? A few different effects to Tower of Terror? A new(old)parade? Come on guys...if you expect us to keep spending the money, then give us some ADDITIONS that our money is worth. Doing nothing or adding sub-par attractions and shows just isn't cutting it.

And annual passes...you know, I understood paying around $300 for a pass to Disney, but now that they're over $500...forget that. I guess I'll just keep renewing my Universal pass for $150 a year, and get the fun cards or season passes for Sea World or Busch Gardens for $90 instead.

Disney...your greed has made you lose some of my money...and I know it will others...and I can't believe how you've put ticket prices so high that a middle class family can't even barely afford a trip there anymore. Shame on you. Walt built the parks for FAMILIES to come and spend a magical day together. Now the only families who will still be able to affor this are the higher middle class and the rich.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
$82 a day is expensive, but there are many other more expensive entertainment options. A few exmaples of some of the mainstream, but expensive entertainment options out there that are nonetheless successful.

Broadway show (or touring version of such a show) -- good tickets will run $100 plus, and that's for only 2-3 hours of entertainment.

Hop on/Hop Off tour Double Deck bus tour of London -- $40 for a 4 hour tour with audio.

Willis(Sears) Tower Skydeck Fastpass Entry -- $30, just to ride to the top and look out over Chicago.

Chicago Bears -- $68-$365 a ticket.

Lollapalooza music festival -- $90 a day

I'd say 14 hours at the Magic Kingdom for $82 is a better value than any of those. Other people would disagree, which is fine. And, of course, Disney knows that. They're setting the prices based on whatever they think will be the most profitable overall. No different from anybody else.

misterID

That has not happened in the last 39 years. What makes this price hike any different than the 42 that preceded it?
YOU! Out of here with your facts and historical data!

The national and world economy is a pretty big difference. It hasn't been this crappy in 39 years. And the fact the middle class is shrinking, Disney's biggest demographic of guests/customers. People are scared for their jobs, unemployment, more people living on fixed budgets, the cost of living steadily rising, while average salaries aren't... And people are choosing less expensive places to vacation, more now than in the last 40 years, or so I've read... All this at the same time as the price hikes.

Yeah... Those facts. And present data.

fosse76

Days off from work aren't a right, as granted by the Constitution, and neither are trips to Disney World. Both are privileges.

The Bill of rights was not meant to be all-inclusive, but was meant as a gurantee that certain rights are too important not to codify. Everyone has the right to a day off. There isn't a single jurisdiction in the country where it is legal to require an employee to work 7 days a week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom