News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Professortango1

The goal was to erase Splash. Disney had to think of something. This co-op idea checks a lot of social checkboxes.

The good thing is, this is still a fun log flume ride.
....not sure I agree. The goal was to take an E-ticket that didn't sell merch and turn it into an E-ticket that will sell merch without having to do too much. Disney Imagineers have been pretty vocal about these marching orders that have been taking place for the past few decades. Joe Rhode talked about it with Mission BO.

Disstevefan1

This is just conspiracy-theory nonsense. The Oriental Land Company pays Disney, not the other way around. If they do decide to retheme their Splash in the future, it’ll be because Tiana’s Bayou Adventure proves a great hit (I’m not saying it will—time will tell).
I am sticking with my conspiracy-theory nonsense - Thanks ;)

MerlinTheGoat

Adding to the discussion of fonts. Even moreso than whether the one used on the signage is period appropriate, I don't feel like it makes much sense for Tiana to use it on a personal level. Part of the reason why I'm not really bothered by her delivery truck looking so shiny and new (aside from the fact that it WOULD effectively be new at that time) is because she seems to have a strong taste for both the clean/tidy as well as elegant design. It's believable to me that she'd ensure it was kept clean and polished. The font she used on her restaurant was an italic design, not a straight modern form.

1713297730232.png

I mentioned this over in a Tokyo Disneyland thread. A year ago, Tokyo added what I believe is the one and only reference to Princess and the Frog at the resort (the movie bombed hard there and seemingly remains unpopular to this day, I don't think they've even ever sold any merch for the IP). A somewhat subtle decal on the side of a building in their New Orleans Square. And unlike the murals on our barn, this one is actually quite lovely and tastefully done. With an attractive and elegant font no less.

1713298098118.png

I also have no qualms with the font they went with for the exit photo gift shop. Nor the critter co-op sign, which is also its own thing and has a fun stylized design.

Last edited:

donaldtoo

This is just conspiracy-theory nonsense. The Oriental Land Company pays Disney, not the other way around. If they do decide to retheme their Splash in the future, it’ll be because Tiana’s Bayou Adventure proves a great hit (I’m not saying it will—time will tell).

Seems to me the vast majority of OLCs target audience wouldn’t even have a clue why a change would need to be made…?

MagicHappens1971

I didn’t frame it in terms of anything needing to happen. But if TBA ends up being wildly popular, then the people at OLC may become more interested in the idea of a retheme.
I think this is pretty fair, but don't see OLC coughing up the change to make that happen when it's unnecessary. They choose to build brand new attractions that add capacity instead of rethemeing things.

donaldtoo

I really really hope, if they had any sense, they kept the hanging possums for the bayou....I mean why not? Im sure we all had a favorite thing about splash, that would be mine. Also the shadow effect of the rocking chair behind the rocks in the queue? loved that...I hope they did something similar and just didn't close it up,, but knowing them...

Both would be a nice little nod to Splash.

LittleBuford

I think this is pretty fair, but don't see OLC coughing up the change to make that happen when it's unnecessary. They choose to build brand new attractions that add capacity instead of unnecessarily rethemeing things.
I don't see it happening either. My reasons for bringing up the possibility should be clear from the way my original post on the matter was framed:

Casper Gutman

I think this a little unfair. I see no disjuncture between wanting to be a successful restaurateur and then branching out to other sectors of the food industry. They could have gone that route without all the weird branding, convoluted backstory, or anachronistic verbiage, but the concept itself isn’t farfetched within the logic of the film.
I’d argue otherwise. Again, Tiana’s restaurant dream is tied to the characters past and personality. It matters to us because it matters to her. It’s special.

Sure, a restaurant owner might branch out into other sectors (although we might argue about how realistic that is in Tiana’s case given the time and place). That kind of expansion would be opportunistic, however - a financial move rather than one with profound roots in who the character is.

LittleBuford

That kind of expansion would be opportunistic, however - a financial move rather than one with profound roots in who the character is.
But the co-op framing indicates that this is as much about community for Tiana, and that does seem consistent with her character.

To be clear, I don't think the "Tiana's Foods" (back)story was in any way necessary, but the issue to me seems less the concept itself than the way certain aspects of it have been executed.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

I suspect TWDC will will pay OLC to change it. Who knows how long the licensing agreement the OLC has for the SoTS characters in Splash?
TWDC is not going to pay OLC to change it. If that was the case they would've already done it. Disney isn't going to strain their relationship with OLC to throw a fit over characters who aren't really "controversial" in Japan.

Disstevefan1

TWDC is not going to pay OLC to change it. If that was the case they would've already done it. Disney isn't going to strain their relationship with OLC to throw a fit over characters who aren't really "controversial" in Japan.
It depends how much TWDC wants Splash to be erased from existence.

TWDC spends A LOT of money when its something they feel strongly about - see their movie business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom