The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - soft opening status

pheneix

They can't just open the floodgates before they are ready. They are actually handling this quite well for what it's worth. In the days before twitter and the "#potterwatch" none of us would have been the wiser about what schedule they choose to soft open. They will be ready to open it for everyone June 18th and are using their onsite resort guests and a few members of the public every morning to ensure that.

You can't judge the area based on how they choose to have soft openings.

You do realize that the target opening date for this project was Memorial Day, right? And that all of Universal's marketing collateral still proudly proclaims "SPRING 2010." Universal blew the chance to cash in on millions of additional revenue during this time frame. Unacceptable.

Wizarding World had a $300 million budget and six years of planning and construction, there is no excuse for missing one of the busiest holiday weekends of the year.

We've also had two solid years of internet theme park gurus tracking attraction openings down to the minute. There were people camping out in front of SSE two years ago every day waiting for it to soft open. Universal needs to realize that this isn't a fair playing field any more. The second you open a ride for ANYONE, its going on the internet for the whole world to see. It better be ready for prime time or else.

Sea World figured this out and had their biggest construction project in history open a full MONTH ahead of Memorial Day.

Settling for an opening date of June 18th on this attraction is one of the most stupid things Universal could do. Its a full month after the southern schools have started summer breaks, and the tri-state deep south region makes up a big chunk of Universal's business. I hope Comcast cleans house and puts Universal Orlando's entire management team on the street when they take over. Wizarding World's creative accomplishments notwithstanding, Bill Davis and his team have presided over a period when Universal saw its annual attendance fall from nearly 13 million guests in 2004 to barely 9 million guests in 2009. Disney grew during this time. The Sea World parks grew during this time.

Yes, the resort has had some minor success in achieving profitability, but no one at Universal should get high fives for cutting costs faster than revenues fell during this period. Universal's executive team might as well have been ringing money out of a turd that was circling the bowl.

Now, I do want to make clear that this in no way deters from the amazing creative work that was done on Wizarding World. Universal Creative has built the greatest ride in the world and one of the greatest themed environments in the world. I would even go as far to say that Universal builds the best attractions in the industry, hands down. It's just a tragedy that they're about to hand Wizarding World over to one of the most boneheaded theme park operations groups in the business.

Wizarding World WILL be an amazing experience. Just don't be surprised if you're waiting three hours for Forbidden Journey on a 9-6 operating day this August.

Matpez

You do realize that the target opening date for this project was Memorial Day, right? And that all of Universal's marketing collateral still proudly proclaims "SPRING 2010." Universal blew the chance to cash in on millions of additional revenue during this time frame. Unacceptable.

Unacceptable to you, sure.

BTW, June 18th is spring.

:wave:

pheneix

Unacceptable to you, sure.

BTW, June 18th is spring.

:wave:

By two days. Universal's calendar worship doesn't mean a hill of beans to the thousands of additional turnstile clicks that IOA has racked up over the past week or so as compared to the prior year. Those guests came to see Potter, had trips planned well before Universal announced the final opening date, and really don't care that Universal "technically will open the ride in Spring."

Disney does a lot of things wrong, but I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that they would NOT let a major addition like this open so late in the year, not with the way Orlando tourism works.

manowar

As I eat my traditional English breakfast at the Three Broomsticks and sip my Butterbeer after experiencing Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey twice in less than an hour I can sum up my feelings in two words: Disney's screwed.

This SUCKS donkey **** totally. We were there at 09:05, probably just behind you, and some corporate guy was shouting out "no way is this soft opening today" along with "closed for private function" signs out. Foolishly perhaps we believed him and sloped off elsewhere.

BigThunderMatt

Disney does a lot of things wrong, but I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that they would NOT let a major addition like this open so late in the year, not with the way Orlando tourism works.

I'd like you to quote the last time Disney even HAS opened a project this massive...because trust me, FLE isn't going to measure up. Test Track is a fine example of a folly of this magnitude by Disney, need I remind you. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney but their lack of solid commitment to expanding their E-ticket offerings and lack of passion for show quality lately as evidenced by the yeti on everest and non-working show effects on multiple attractions plus an apparant lack of show quality in general just shows me Disney really needs to wake up and realize they might have to fight to maintain their title in this industry.

pheneix

Thats why Disney Rules and Uni Drools

It's not that black and white. Disney's operations are only marginally better than Universal's. They do have a tendency to get the bare minimum common sense decisions right though.

I'd like you to quote the last time Disney even HAS opened a project this massive...because trust me, FLE isn't going to measure up. Test Track is a fine example of a folly of this magnitude by Disney, need I remind you. Don't et me wrong, I love Disney but their lack of solid commitment to expanding their E-ticket offerings and lack of passion for show quality lately as evidenced by the yeti on everest and non-working show effects on multiple attractions plus an apparant lack of show quality in general just shows me Disney really needs to wake up and realize they might spontaneous have to fight to maintain their title in this industry

They already are building a project of this size at DCA in Cars Land. They're also testing ride vehicles on their marquee ride YEARS ahead of its opening date. That is in fact a lesson learned from Test Track. ;)

I also agree that Disney's commitment to show quality in FL is pretty sad. Universal might actually be on par or slightly better with Disney in this category right now. They have done a pretty good job of repairing IOA's E-tickets to opening day quality in advance of Wizarding World's opening. Still, that doesn't excuse the past three years of HORRIFIC show quality at the Universal Orlando resort.

disneysroyal411

I'd like you to quote the last time Disney even HAS opened a project this massive...because trust me, FLE isn't going to measure up. Test Track is a fine example of a folly of this magnitude by Disney, need I remind you. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney but their lack of solid commitment to expanding their E-ticket offerings and lack of passion for show quality lately as evidenced by the yeti on everest and non-working show effects on multiple attractions plus an apparant lack of show quality in general just shows me Disney really needs to wake up and realize they might have to fight to maintain their title in this industry.

The reason the Yeti hasn't been fixed is because Everest has become AK's anchor. They can't just shut it down. Sooo, they have to find the quickest and most efficient way to fix it. Disney is working bu they are a large park/s and can't only work on one park. They have to update each one so as to the others not falling below each other and keeping park attendance regular. Universal obviously threw this out because they needed a new anchor. Face it you don't hear of Uni like you do Disney. I give props to Uni for doing a great job with this but ignoring the fact of it not sticking around for at least ten years. This is where Disney doesn't make mistakes. They only do that to little attractions that can easily be changed to fit the next need.

maggiegrace1

As I eat my traditional English breakfast at the Three Broomsticks and sip my Butterbeer after experiencing Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey twice in less than an hour I can sum up my feelings in two words: Disney's screwed.
How?

Granted this Harry Potter land thingy may be amazing and wonderful..I am not saying it will not be..

I have no interest in it at all..even after looking at the video and pictures..thrill rides, Harry Potter..any of that does not interest me.

I am not even saying that this will not be better then anything Disney has right now..it may be..to some..and to others it will not be..but to say Disney is screwed!..makes no sense to me..:shrug::veryconfu

Maybe you can explain how they are screwed..Do you see it affecting Disney so majorly that they will have to do something drastic?

Do you think it will take that many guests away for more then a day or two of their vacations?

I do not..but I do not know of the inner workings of Disney..and the guest percentages and financial profit up and downs associated with Disney and Universal and how this may or may not affect Disney.

I am just a long time Disney guest who has no interest in Universal..and not because it is not Disney..just because nothing there holds interest to me or my family right now enough to warrant a visit..not that we will not visit in the future..but I have never had the want to and still do not..yet I still have the want and desire to go to Disney as much as possible.

I am just wondering..why you would think that..:)

joanna71985

I really hope WWoHP will be open for previews this weekend (Fri/Sat) and/or next weekend (Fri/Sat). I would love to go before it officially opens.

dxwwf3

Unless something goes wrong, you would think Universal would want to have controlled openings for as many people as possible leading up to the opening. They need to monitor crowd levels and ways to improve upon guest flow and crowd control. June 18th is without a doubt the biggest single day in Universal's theme park history since opening day of USF to begin the resort. Many more eyes are going to be on the opening of WWOHP than even IOA opening itself. This is Universal's biggest chance yet and they need things to run somewhat smoothly for at least a month after opening.

Testtrack321

Me and my faimly are going down to Orlando, next week. We planned this trip back 6 months ago and got a condo all with the idea of spending days in Harry Poter / universal. We found out a couple months ago that it wasn't opening till the 18th. My son was devistated. He is a special needs child on the autistic spectrum. He lives and breaths Harry.

Reading some of this forum it almost appears if you stay at Universal's hotel there could be a chace to get into the soft preview? Is that still the case? I had thought they closed that option down till the 18th as well? I'd do or try almost anything to get in for my son. Anyone have any ideas?

Sorry that no one has responded back to you.

It's worth a try. Universal did drop the ball here as if you ask any American when summer begins and they say "Memorial Day." It passed, and it's not open.

I'd say go to the park and see if you can get in. If not, go to Guest Relations and give your story *CALMLY* (as someone who's worked GR before, be calm, polite, and understanding that they don't have the keys to the land.) At worst, they say sorry and Universal gets that people are ed. At best, who knows, maybe they'll treat you specially.

My only comment would be that I don't think Harry Potter would warrant more than half a day visit. It's just a new land, and a small cramped one at that.

Whatever happens, don't sweat it. It's your vacation and you'll have a great time.

Sketch105

I give props to Uni for doing a great job with this but ignoring the fact of it not sticking around for at least ten years. This is where Disney doesn't make mistakes. They only do that to little attractions that can easily be changed to fit the next need.

So, you're saying an attraction based on 8 movies and 7 books plus a rabid fanbase will not be around for more than 10 years?

Parents allow their kids to experience what they did as a child. They hand down those movies, those books, etc. They bring them to the parks they grew up going too. Kids who've never read the books or seen the movies will want to after seeing the land.

Harry Potter will last a lot longer than most people expect it will.

hack2112

So, you're saying an attraction based on 8 movies and 7 books plus a rabid fanbase will not be around for more than 10 years?

Parents allow their kids to experience what they did as a child. They hand down those movies, those books, etc. They bring them to the parks they grew up going too. Kids who've never read the books or seen the movies will want to after seeing the land.

Harry Potter will last a lot longer than most people expect it will.
I don't know, Lord of the Rings is SO unknown and unpopular to kids now. :rolleyes:

shaggyboiler

Sorry that no one has responded back to you.

It's worth a try. Universal did drop the ball here as if you ask any American when summer begins and they say "Memorial Day." It passed, and it's not open.

I'd say go to the park and see if you can get in. If not, go to Guest Relations and give your story *CALMLY* (as someone who's worked GR before, be calm, polite, and understanding that they don't have the keys to the land.) At worst, they say sorry and Universal gets that people are ed. At best, who knows, maybe they'll treat you specially.

My only comment would be that I don't think Harry Potter would warrant more than half a day visit. It's just a new land, and a small cramped one at that.

Whatever happens, don't sweat it. It's your vacation and you'll have a great time.

Thank you for your reply. About 4 weeks ago I called GR. I was able to talk to the manager of GR and we had a very good converstaion. (He was telling me he works with special needs children outside of Uni and so on). Anyway like I said it was a great converstation. He told me he would see what he could do and call me back. I didn't expect a call back, but I did get one. Unfortunally he said there was nothing he could do to get us in the park.

Now that was 4 weeks ago. Lots of things have changed now with the soft opening going on and so on. So perhaps another phone call is needed.

Shane

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thank you for your reply. About 4 weeks ago I called GR. I was able to talk to the manager of GR and we had a very good converstaion. (He was telling me he works with special needs children outside of Uni and so on). Anyway like I said it was a great converstation. He told me he would see what he could do and call me back. I didn't expect a call back, but I did get one. Unfortunally he said there was nothing he could do to get us in the park.

Now that was 4 weeks ago. Lots of things have changed now with the soft opening going on and so on. So perhaps another phone call is needed.

Shane

From all reports in the poast few days, it looks like you have a very good chance of getting in. Get to the park around 8:30am, head to the Potter area, and wait. Even if they are saying it will not open, stay in position until at least 10:15am.

One of our contributors was there yesterday, and he was being told flat out by Universal staff that 'no public will be admitted to Harry Potter today'. 55 minutes later he was on the ride.

No guarantees until the 18th, but fingers crossed you will get in. Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom