The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - soft opening status

manowar

opened today at 08:45, we were told it would be over by 10, but it appears they were stopping any new arrivals after about 10am, they were closing the land at around 11:20 onwards.

Best bet, as someone else said is to get in early and camp out outside for that "magic" 9-10am hour.

71jason

Any idea if they're still closing Wizarding World after an hour or so, or are they starting to keep it open past 10/11 AM?

Today, when I entered around 9:05ish, they said, "Closing at 10". When I left around 11:30ish, at least some of the shops were still open. So yes, keeping it open longer, although not announcing or even acknowledging this fact. (And I can confirm yesterday they swore up and down at 9 it would not open at all to the general public...before it did, an hour later.)

Get there at opening, be prepared to wait, and be prepared to be disappointed, but odds are good you'll get in.

joanna71985

I was there today. Oh man, it was great! Forbidden Journey is a lot of fun, Butterbeer is really good, and the theming is amazing. I saw so many things I want to buy. One tip- if you are going to try to stop by before the official opening, make sure to get to WWoHP early! The rides were done by 11am (if not earlier).

71jason

Saturday: opened to the public at 8:45 with the rest of the park (not that anyone was headed anywhere else), ride was closed by 10:45, looked like shooting for another 11-11:30ish closing.

hunty

wwohp

got into hp on the 3rd and went on forbidden journey which i have to say was fantastic if not one of the best rides ive been on.the whole of hp world looks great.butterbeer bit sweet but worth a try.bumped prices up on the merchanise but purchised the photo of ride anyway.got told by people on gate they were opening twice a day once in the morning and around 2.30 pm each day til official opening

crazydaveh

I was down there today. Great stuff even though I've never read a book or cared to watch a movie. The bartender at the tavern said as long as they're doing the breakfasts, the area will close around 11-noon. As for the hours after the breakfasts... He had no clue.

Take it for what it's worth. Good luck getting in!

Raivin

Got to IoA today at 8:30 and lined up a the entrance turnstiles until 9. At 9 they let us into the park so we headed directly to Wizarding World. When we got there, they informed us if we didn't have a Universal Resort room key we would not be allowed to enter at 9 then told us to wait in a line along the bridge to Jurassic Park.

Waited there till 10:30 at which time an employee said that unless you were staying at a universal hotel you had no chance of getting in.

What's the trick you guys are using to get around this? Do they not check for room keys? Has anyone else here encountered this scenario?

MKCP 1985

You can't judge the area based on how they choose to have soft openings.

Rip Ride Rockit, anyone? :lookaroun

I agree with phenix. And anyone in the south generally and Florida particularly knows that when you get to June, you are in the summer season. The calendar is just wrong on that point in this part of the world. :p

hunty

Got to IoA today at 8:30 and lined up a the entrance turnstiles until 9. At 9 they let us into the park so we headed directly to Wizarding World. When we got there, they informed us if we didn't have a Universal Resort room key we would not be allowed to enter at 9 then told us to wait in a line along the bridge to Jurassic Park.

Waited there till 10:30 at which time an employee said that unless you were staying at a universal hotel you had no chance of getting in.

What's the trick you guys are using to get around this? Do they not check for room keys? Has anyone else here encountered this scenario?
we had the same problem on the 28th but when we returned on the 3rd
they were letting anyone in.try going on a week day when not so busy.

RSoxNo1

Has anyone had any problems with "fitting" on The Forbidden Journey?

I'm 5'9'', 250 lbs. I can fit in the standard seats of The Hulk and Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge but barely. Am I gonna be able to fit?

Matpez

It was bad luck. I was in as a hotel guest Sunday and Forbidden Journey didn't open for us until 9:30 (but we got in at 8). It seems this is the deciding factor for the general public softs. If FJ is working and the queue is moving they let in the public, but if it isn't there is no need to let more people in.

The Mom

Premium Member

I'm 5'9'', 250 lbs. I can fit in the standard seats of The Hulk and Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge but barely. Am I gonna be able to fit?

From what I've read on the net, from people who have either ridden, or been turned away, and after looking at a photo of people actually in the ride, it has just as much to do with your demensions as with your weight. So, you're 100% OK heightwise.

Broad or large shoulders (regardless of weight) seem to be a problem because of the partition between seats, and the way the shoulder restraint is designed. So you could be skinny with a large frame and still have as much of a problem as someone who carries extra weight there.

Large chest may be a problem for some.

Large stomach may be a problem, but it also depends upon where the "T" of the restraint hits you.

Large hips and upper legs could be an issue, as there is a divider molded into the seat between the legs, which leaves less room.

So unfortunately, the answer is "It depends." There is no way of knowing for sure without actually going to IOA and trying the test seat outside. And even then, you may have to be tested again inside, if there is any doubt about whether or not you will fit.

Which is really no answer at all. :(

Matpez

If you can fit in the standard seat (even with TM help) you are fine. Those that need the larger row seats on the coasters may not fit on FJ.

wvugeoggrad

I got in on Saturday as a regular guest. I got to IOA's gates around 8:45 expecting to wait till 9 to get into the park but they had it wide open. I rushed over to WWoHP. There were plenty of Team Members standing around and I was afraid they'd ask me for a room key or something but I just breezed past them. At the entrance of HP there were TMs with the little counting clickers, guess they close it after so many people. I went straight to FJ and got in line. I didn't have a clock on me but I'd estimate I waited 45 minutes to get on. The queue was amazing, exept the greenhouse part. At 9 am I was full on sweating in there, they really need to add more of those big fans esp. in the lower part; if not they are gonna have ppl dropping like flies in there. Ride was great as well, I'm glad I read the spoilers bc I'm terrified of spiders so I made sure to keep my eyes closed during the whole section. I'm sure I missed a lot of great sceanry but better than passing out! :slurp:

I spent some time aftewards exploring the shops. Got some butterbeer, it was ok but like a lot of others have said I'd probably not get it every time. I did splurge and got a chocolate frog home. Again it was neat and tasted good but won't be buying another one in the future. It does come with a wizard trading card though which I thought was neat.

I'd love to go again soon but probably won't have a chance to try again before the offical opening. Im sure onces its open it will be a mad house so looks like atleast fall before I'll attempt to go back in there again!

Matpez

Just out of curiosity, is there a scale, or are they estimating based on girth?

I went with a few bigger friends Sunday. One is over 250 but less than 300lbs. He can ride Dragons in a regular seat with TM help to push the restraint down. He also fit on Forbidden Journey fine.

Another friend, over 300lbs can only ride Dragons in the large seat, and may still need TM help. He did not pass the test seat "test" for Forbidden Journey.

There are test seats outside the castle and again right before the loading platform. There is a TM at the inside ones and he will question anyone he thinks may be an issue before they get to the platform. I think this will help them from having to stop the entire load/ride system for a guest who just didn't fit.

71jason

So Sunday morning, when we didn't get in, the unofficial "line" stretched the length of the new wooden bridge. What I found interesting is the number of people who already had Potter gear on--in other words, this wasn't all people who only had this one chance to get in, this was people who have been in at least once but were still willing to stand for 2 hours in the blazing sun just to see if they could get in again.

Kind of blows the "what's the big deal? it's only one new ride" argument out of the water. People want to spend time in Harry's world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom