The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
According to Screamscape, they believe that a fifth theme park for Walt Disney World could be planned for their 50 year anniversary in 2021. What are your thoughts on this?
http://screamscape.com/html/walt_disney_world_resort.htm#WesternWay

Their conclusion is based on an inaccurate reading of a permit filed by Reedy Creek a couple months ago. I detailed some of it here http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/flamingo-crossing-hotels.883971/page-8#post-6364458

The conclusion would have been shaky even if the facts were correct.

PhotoDave219

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Monday Musings:

How the hell does Lou Mongello wind up on the BBC talking about the Euro Disney restructuring? Seriously? Does Jenn Fickley-Baker, Gary Buchanan or Thomas Smith set him up, like pseudo agents?

Or was the BBC lazy? Did they just google 'Disney Parks expert' and got hits with his name? Yet another scary thing to ponder in this era of 'social media' ...

Is it just me or has almost every primetime NFL game been a blowout thus far?

So, Twin Peaks is returning with nine new episodes on Showtime. Just goes to show you that anything is possible in teevee.

I'm sure that you're all interested (mostly my pal Andy 'Fidel's Little Bro' Castro), but today is the 12th anniversary of the first time I had a real one on one conversation with John Lasseter on a sweltering (over 100 degree) Anaheim day. Weather was a main topic of discussion, but the Disney PR handlers were VERY nervous that we were talking because (believe it or not) I was considered a strong proponent of the recently deposed Sr. VP at TDA ... some dude with a weird ... Greek name ... George ... George ... Kalogridis ... yep, that was him!

Indeed, it has been confirmed by the Twitverse, but @WDWFigment continues living the dream in South Korea after a visit to HKDL. I hope we'll hear from him upon his return.

OK, fall lasted all of 36 hours in SoFla. It was something while it was here.

I truly don't get the Twits who actually think there was or is any possibility that DLP would/will close up shop in the near term barring war or a zombie apocalypse (Walking Dead returns Sunday!) That is what it would take for something like that to happen no matter who tells you what. The resort is still the top destination in Europe. And while there is little doubt the shine has been (rightfully!) off the BRAND there for years, there's a lot of effort being made so they truly can put on a show worthy of the Disney name in 2017 when the resort marks a quarter of a century.

They don't have competition in France ... real competition. And until recently with major leaps by Europa Park, they didn't have real competition on the continent. Perhaps, now, they'll attempt to go after markets like Germany that they gave up on years ago. The debut of Disney Channel Germany last winter seems to suggest that.

Seems like the anti-DLP crowd is made up of angry fanbois (many of whom have never even visited the place) and folks with grudges against Michael Eisner and/or WDI and/or Tony Baxter (like say former Imagineers).

They want to argue about where it should have been built and how when the biggest problem it has is crippling debt and years of poor management and a refusal, until recently, by TWDC to step up and do what's needed to make sure the resort can run in a stable fashion.

So PotC: Dead Men Tell No Tales will be filming down in Australia starting early next year. I'm guessing that they couldn't push the State Department to film in Cuba!

If you think that you can't make a difference, then you've already proven that to be true.

Lee

Adventurer
Since we gravitate towards TV in this thread, how awesome is it that we're getting new Twin Peaks episodes on Showtime?!
So, Twin Peaks is returning with nine new episodes on Showtime. Just goes to show you that anything is possible in teevee.
Easily, and by far, the best entertainment news I've heard in years.
Made my year.
:D

I propose a toast!

tumblr_mfj3mafkiF1qzi80do1_500.gif

PhotoDave219

Spirited Monday Musings:

How the hell does Lou Mongello wind up on the BBC talking about the Euro Disney restructuring? Seriously? Does Jenn Fickley-Baker, Gary Buchanan or Thomas Smith set him up, like pseudo agents?

Or was the BBC lazy? Did they just google 'Disney Parks expert' and got hits with his name? Yet another scary thing to ponder in this era of 'social media' ...

Is it just me or has almost every primetime NFL game been a blowout thus far?

I'm sure that you're all interested (mostly my pal Andy 'Fidel's Little Bro' Castro), but today is the 12th anniversary of the first time I had a real one on one conversation with John Lasseter on a sweltering (over 100 degree) Anaheim day. Weather was a main topic of discussion, but the Disney PR handlers were VERY nervous that we were talking because (believe it or not) I was considered a strong proponent of the recently deposed Sr. VP at TDA ... some dude with a weird ... Greek name ... George ... George ... Kalogridis ... yep, that was him!

Indeed, it has been confirmed by the Twitverse, but @WDWFigment continues living the dream in South Korea after a visit to HKDL. I hope we'll hear from him upon his return.

OK, fall lasted all of 36 hours in SoFla. It was something while it was here.

I truly don't get the Twits who actually think there was or is any possibility that DLP would/will close up shop in the near term barring war or a zombie apocalypse (Walking Dead returns Sunday!) That is what it would take for something like that to happen no matter who tells you what. The resort is still the top destination in Europe. And while there is little doubt the shine has been (rightfully!) off the BRAND there for years, there's a lot of effort being made so they truly can put on a show worthy of the Disney name in 2017 when the resort marks a quarter of a century.

They don't have competition in France ... real competition. And until recently with major leaps by Europa Park, they didn't have real competition on the continent. Perhaps, now, they'll attempt to go after markets like Germany that they gave up on years ago. The debut of Disney Channel Germany last winter seems to suggest that.

Seems like the anti-DLP crowd is made up of angry fanbois (many of whom have never even visited the place) and folks with grudges against Michael Eisner and/or WDI and/or Tony Baxter (like say former Imagineers).

They want to argue about where it should have been built and how when the biggest problem it has is crippling debt and years of poor management and a refusal, until recently, by TWDC to step up and do what's needed to make sure the resort can run in a stable fashion.

So PotC: Dead Men Tell No Tales will be filming down in Australia starting early next year. I'm guessing that they couldn't push the State Department to film in Cuba!

If you think that you can't make a difference, then you've already proven that to be true.

Why you always harping on my friend Gary? You and I both know how the media biz works and both know a discussion of DLP corporate economics wouldn't have anything to do with anyone at WDW PR. Likely his name came from much higher up.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Did another show ever do a better job redefining the character and atmosphere of a city than Vice did for Miami?

Nope. It literally created South Beach. It made the area a destination that it really wasn't by glamorizing the crime that already was here ... the Cocaine Cowboys ... the brazen shootouts like the one at Dadeland Mall.

It was not a pleasant place, but that show suggested what could be ... and telegraphed what would be.

BTW, you've never lived until you've watched the 'good guys' pull an old Chevy out of a canal with two bodies with bullets to the head inside. (I only did that once ... that was enough.)

To my ears, the music Jan Hammer composed for the show still sounds like a quintessential Florida soundtrack. Like you said, the show really did raise the bar for TV productions -- the sequence with Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" from the show's pilot is justifiable famous. It's easy to forget it was also the show that introduced Michael Mann's brilliance. I know his MV film from a few years back was polarizing, but I appreciated what he did with the material.

I recall watching that for the first time ... TV didn't look like that before. It was revolutionary in a way that I'm not sure it's gotten the credit it deserves. ... I have never seen the film.

BTW, the first few years after that scene, they would play that song at MNF games at the old Orange Bowl and the crowd would go nuts, just electric. Of course, the Fins had someone that could play QB back then too!

And funny you mention the show's filming in Miami Beach -- in the first season, if you study some of the location shots of South Beach, you can see it was the run-down turf of elderly retirees. Funny how things change.

Plus, not enough can be said about Phillip Michael Thomas, EGOT and all. A man's reach should exceed his grasp, right?

Oh yeah, they went to some of these art deco landmarks (now) that were barely hanging on filled with retirees (mostly Jewish, mostly from the NE) who came to Miami Beach because it was ''God's Waiting Room'' ... they were falling apart and depressing. But the Vice crew would use mirrors and filmmaking MAGIC to show hip clubs ... a few years later, those hotels were pulling in in one night what they used to charge for a month and they were full of rich, beautiful and, largely, young people.

I'm very over SoBe now (you get older!) ... but in the 90s it really was amazing.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Why you always harping on my friend Gary? You and I both know how the media biz works and both know a discussion of DLP corporate economics wouldn't have anything to do with anyone at WDW PR. Likely his name came from much higher up.

Not harping on anyone, Dave. Gary is very involved in social media (he can thank me for the Mommy Bloggers if he'd like) and he and Blondie and Tommy work with Lou on a regular basis. I doubt very much that corporate/Burbank has much time for dealing with Lou as he still is too small time. Zenia isn't arranging Lou's appearances.

WDW's Social Media hacks can easily 'suggest' that a reporter or news organization seek out a specific 'independent expert' ... not saying it happened here just that I KNOW it is possible.

And if Gary or Jenn or Tom would like to join the conversation, then they are more than welcome. Engagement is a big part of social media or so I've been told!

WDW1974

Original Poster
True.... Either way, I don't see Lou as a financial analyst.

That's parentsof4's expertise

True ... and that's why he had no business talking about the place. I am not even sure whether he has ever visited the place and to claim to have knowledge ... like I said, he has no business discussing much more than cupcake parties with Anna and Elsa.

PhotoDave219

Not harping on anyone, Dave. Gary is very involved in social media (he can thank me for the Mommy Bloggers if he'd like) and he and Blondie and Tommy work with Lou on a regular basis. I doubt very much that corporate/Burbank has much time for dealing with Lou as he still is too small time. Zenia isn't arranging Lou's appearances.

WDW's Social Media hacks can easily 'suggest' that a reporter or news organization seek out a specific 'independent expert' ... not saying it happened here just that I KNOW it is possible.

And if Gary or Jenn or Tom would like to join the conversation, then they are more than welcome. Engagement is a big part of social media or so I've been told!

I'm sure they would love to meet you for a beer sometime. But I'm not brokering that sit down.

As for Lou, eh. I am not gonna Give two shakes about a 4 minute segment on a cable network, even if it's the bbc. They're looking to fill time. Would have been better if they had a European market guy instead.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I'm sure they would love to meet you for a beer sometime. But I'm not brokering that sit down.

As for Lou, eh. I am not gonna Give two shakes about a 4 minute segment on a cable network, even if it's the bbc. They're looking to fill time. Would have been better if they had a European market guy instead.

Or someone qualified in the slightest :)

the.dreamfinder

http://deadline.com/2014/10/disney-pirates-5-australia-20000-leagues-tax-incentive-820904/
Disney took the tax rebate money earmarked for Fincher's 20k, which would have been amazing, and applied it to pirates. Pretty sure the only thing Disney wants to do in Cuba is be the first American destination resort if the opportunity arises.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom