The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

ParentsOf4

@ParentsOf4 , why do you think TWDC has chosen this route for regaining control of EuroDisney?
It's been a methodical approach to weed out external financiers and shareholders while minimizing cost without upsetting foreign governments or the markets. Makes me wonder if Disney was waiting for a few bad quarters at DLP to scare away investors and drive down the stock price. ;)

It's time for other shareholders to get out of Dodge. (OK, Disneyland Paris. :D)

Although I frequently criticize corporate Disney's investment choices (or lack thereof) in Parks & Resorts, it appears Disney got this one right.

Disney management's strong finance background actually helped Parks & Resorts for once. :)

justavoice

Coincidentally, I answered this same question earlier today. Below is a repost of what I wrote on another thread. :)

A stock repurchase (or “buyback”) is a way for a company to quickly increase the price of its stock.

When a company buys back stock, these shares of stock typically are retired and are no longer are available for trade. Effectively, these shares no longer exist. With fewer shares available, the price of the remaining shares increases.

Buying back stock is a way to reward existing shareholders since it increases the price of the shares they already own.

However, stock buybacks do nothing to improve the long-term health of a company. They do not increase revenue or profits.

Consider a large project like Epcot. In 1979-1982, corporate Disney could have spent over a billion dollars buying back stock (which might have made shareholders at that time very happy) or they could have built Epcot.

Wall Street roundly criticized the Epcot project back then but, 30 years later, corporate Disney and its shareholders are much better off financially because of Epcot. In the long-term, Disney is a stronger company because of Epcot.

It’s important to remember that senior executive compensation is tied directly to stock price. Executives sometimes are accused of repurchasing stock not because it’s best for the long-term health of the company or its shareholders, but because it’s in the best interest of executives. :greedy:

Fund managers at institutional investment firms are in the same boat as Disney executives. They are not worried about how Disney will be doing 10 years from now. Their compensation (and even their jobs) are tied directly to how well Disney is doing today.

Long-term, WDW (and corporate Disney) almost certainly would be better off with a 5th Gate but there is no one who is part of the current decision-making process who would benefit financially. Rather than invest billions in a 5th Gate, today’s shareholders and Disney executives would rather see that money spent on stock buybacks.

CEO Michael Eisner built in part because of ego (he felt these projects were his Disney legacy) and in part because Disney’s largest shareholders at the time understood that real estate development takes time.

Today’s corporate Disney is owned by large investment firms that, for the most part, don’t have the patience for long-term investing. :(
Excellent job of stating stock buyback and corporate management lining their pockets. Any time that I see a stock buy back from a company to me it means that they can not find anything to invest in that will return a proper investment. The issue is that there are a number of things that could return profit on investment but in not a timely manner. That timely manner used to be three years or more, and now a number of boards want that return in two years or less. The stock buyback allows a board to be nearsighted on most investments for the future and have been one of the biggest problems to the financial crisis of the past 6 years. Trust me as I was involved in a bankruptcy for a large chemical company and saw first hand how the management could care less about employees or stockholders, just there golden parachutes.

Speaking of that bankruptcy experience, it is a good thing to complain to people on high as you never know what will occur. I wrote letters to the judge and was placed with billion dollar hedgefund managers on the bankruptcy appeals process. I was CC'd on all the fun emails and legal briefs. Start at the top and you never know who is listening. Hint: you may not get the CEO but his secretary has a lot of weight and if she hands you off to someone they usually have some authority.

flynnibus

Premium Member
@ParentsOf4 , why do you think TWDC has chosen this route for regaining control of EuroDisney?

It forces other people to pay up to stay in... all while the place is struggling. No free rides.. That combination will cause a lot of people to just liquidate and stay away maybe.

It does look like it will have the effect of consolidating Disney's control. For fans... it's good in that there is a huge cash infusion. However the debt doesn't totally go away.. it just kicks the can down the road and make it come up later. But by that time, Disney could even further forgive the debt. Disney is in effect 'buying out' ownership slowly.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I haven't had a chance to read what has been posted yet, so forgive me if I am repeating what others have said, but the point of this deal is to give Disney ultimate control of the resort. It wasn't anything done last minute despite the media categorizing today's meeting as an ''emergency''.

This deal has been in the works for well over a year. Disney wants ownership, even if they have effective control and have for many moons.

Only a fool would think there was any chance of them closing or shuttering the resort (although I could argue that they should have gone to five-day ops for each park with one always open during slow seasons just as DLR did thru the mid-80s). They have been pouring money into everything from rehabs of attractions (which showed greatly in the E-Tickets on my January visit versus my prior visit in spring of 2012) to resorts (Sequoia looks great and the Newport Bay work amounts to a rebuilding), not to mention they actually opened a new E-Ticket (a real one) in the weakest Disney park in the world (in attendance, anyway) etc. I would expect the pace and scope of what has been done to increase going forward.

Someone really should email Tom Wolber about the condition of the Mark Twain, though, I wonder if it's too late.

lazyboy97o

Euro Disney SCA is the company that runs DLP. Disney is the single largest shareholder, owning 40% of stock. Saudi Prince AlWaleed bin Tala owns another 10% and votes with Disney, giving Disney effective control over Euro Disney.
Disney has never held majority ownership but has always controlled Euro Disney SCA because it is an SCA, a special type of partnership controlled by a minority owner. What Disney wants is the money the place generate once the noose is finally loosened.

Bolna

This deal has been in the works for well over a year. Disney wants ownership, even if they have effective control and have for many moons.

It kind of makes one wonder whether it was strategically planned to not have a Frenchman announcing this. Gas just left so recently, they must have known at that time what was going to be announced and when.

SirLink

It kind of makes one wonder whether it was strategically planned to not have a Frenchman announcing this. Gas just left so recently, they must have known at that time what was going to be announced and when.

But also Tom was responsible as the "fixer" of DCL, if memory serves me right the first couple of years of full operationof DCL was a complete nightmare, but I may also be mixing up DVC -up or DCL -up

Mike S

According to Screamscape, they believe that a fifth theme park for Walt Disney World could be planned for their 50 year anniversary in 2021. What are your thoughts on this?
http://screamscape.com/html/walt_disney_world_resort.htm#WesternWay
image.jpg

GiveMeTheMusic

GiveMeTheMusic

most of the stuff Screamscape says is in the form of questions...he seems to present stuff as a possibility

He's trying to make an educated guess, but it's a ludicrous one. All kinds of things are possible. It's possible Disney changes their mind about Maelstrom and reopens it tomorrow, while announcing a major Frozen E Ticket for the Magic Kingdom.

Likely? Absolutely not. Possible? Of course. Everything is possible; very little (when it comes to WDW) is likely.

Funmeister

Screamscape also heavily relies on re-posting "news" from other sites. I would not really consider Lance an insider the way he was once considered. I also find it to be a huge turn off when he occasionally asks for handouts or supporting his wifes other ventures. Does not happen often but when it does.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom