The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Cesar R M

You're making reference to new AA's. How about CoP and PoTC and the other old AA's? John Wayne in TGMR looks like he has stick up his back and Tarzan is just embarrassing! The problem is that AA's wear out over time. The poor AA's in CoP are just falling apart. For every good AA at Disney I can easily name 3 more that are terrible. On the other hand the singing busts in the Haunted Mansion graveyard and Little Leota look great because they are projections. All the new AA's that you mention will degrade. I know it's hard for Disney to get away from dressing a mechanical figure up in a costume since it's part of the Disney DNA.

As Disney moves more and more toward digital projections the illusions will improve. As they move into digital holography the illusions will be realistic and because they're digital they will not degrade with time. They'll be able to use actors and/or animation to create illusions that will look absolutely real and not some hokey looking 3D.

Mechanical AA's are old school. I expect Disney to keep them around just as they have old steam trains for the sake of nostalgia. Oh, and they'll keep those hokey looking 3D shows around for nostalgia as well. However, they'll keep the various Pepper's ghost illusions around because they work just as well today as when they were new!

speaking of falling apart, I wonder how much the evil queen outside the cottage (of the 7 dwarves mine train ride) will last?
It is very exposed to the elements.

Last edited:

Phil12

As an example a super realistic projection of King Kong would have nothing on an advanced AA.
Not if the projection looked just as real as a living being and you couldn't tell the difference (except that you would logically know that a 25' tall living ape does not exist in real life).

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney itself has proven... it's not HOW you do it.. it's that you do it in a way that the guest gets the impression or feeling you want them too.

The fire effects in POTC are simple... yet they do the job. It's not about something being physical or not.. it's about being convincing in the setting. AA's all constrained to be behind a window in a wall you just sat and watched would be less interesting than a world you ride through. These AA vs whatever arguments always forget it's not the tech that makes the attraction work or not.

lazyboy97o

As far as actual construction and landscaping design both Uni and Disney use PCL, Nassal, and Valley Crest. Where Uni differs from Disney is that Uni outsources things like AAs, and special effects where as Disney usually develops and builds them in house.
Disney does a lot of outsourcing too. Probably the big difference though is the level of detail that Disney puts into what they give their various vendors. Disney is typically very specific in what they want, whereas Universal is more vague.

Try finding a direct sourced piece on this... I don't think anyone on the outside knows truly all the details.

In 2008 a WDI memo confirmed they had formally acknowledged their shift to outsourcing production of AAs.. then in 2012 insiders expanded that by shifting all upkeep of AAs to Garner Holt.. and in doing so transfered or sold all the historic parts and tooling to GH. So basically GH was the primary for producing AAs and all the maintenance of them too. What isn't clear is how much R&D Disney continues to do on their own in the field to help drive the technology and or create specific figures. Like someone said here cited them still doing 'hero' figures, etc. Clearly Disney has gotten out of the manufacturing business and the bulk of the work of creating figures based on recent history.. but we seem to lack direct sources to say they've gotten out of the field entirely.
My understanding is that the physical building of parts and assembly is pretty much all done by Garner Holt. The difference comes to how the degrees of specificity. With figures of lesser importance, Disney seems to have built a stronger level of trust with Holt than with almost any other vendor. It seems to be one of those very odd lines. Would anybody say you did not decorate your house if you personally picked every piece of furniture and the exact shade of the wall paint, but you did not do the actual painting or furniture installation?

ParentsOf4

Ok what happens to the stock price if TWDC has to buy out Euro Disney SCA?
Didn't they already take over the debt a few years ago? Something like $1.7B. What's left to buy out? The public shares outstanding can't be worth more than a few hundred million.
Disney has been reporting DLP on its books since 2004. It also took over all financing in 2012, with a total of a $2.3 billion loan and a $337 million line of credit.

This information already is built into the price of Disney stock.

The news concerning DLP, hot off the press, is:

"Euro Disney said on Monday it had agreed a 1 billion euro funding deal backed by its largest shareholder, the Walt Disney Co , which includes a share sale and a debt restructuring, to allow it to invest in the business."

See the article in Reuters for details.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Was just about to head to bed when the BIG DLP news (that really wasn't) hit. But I see @ParentsOf4 has already put it up.

Good to know that despite some crazy fanbois who want the resort to close for some bizarre reasons, that Disney is going to do whatever is needed to shore the resort up (anyone who was there a few years ago and then again in 2014 knows that many things are FINALLY getting worked on). So, sorry, no Walmart where the DSP sits, no local operator coming into run a Disney IP removed shell of a MK, and no hotel company taking over the resorts or bulldozing them. ... And $$$ will be flowing for the 25th Anniversary in 2.5 years.

So, I don't have any news to drop here just yet. Poor @Lee still insists on rooting for the Titans. Poor fanbois cry for Maelstrom's final weekend yet 99.9% don't have the balls to pick up the phone and engage someone at the exec level ... etc.

How about that Forbes 400 list last week, right? 400 Americans worth $2.3 trillion ... yep, let's not bring up 'class warfare' and what the top one percent is doing to the rest of us.

So, lemme get this straight, SW offering $55 weekday tickets is desperate, but WDW offering $199 four-day, one park each, DVC passes isn't?

Why do I have the feeling that @WDWFigment is away on some long vacation? Is this his Asian trip time? I do hope he joined the HK protesters for democracy!

Cupcake parties with preferred 'seating' for a light show you walk around in sure sounds like something I'd pay $100 for.

Is @marni1971 still at WDW? If not, then I'd love to hear his observations and thoughts.

Finally, the best and most surprising news is that fall officially arrived in SoFla last night. Yep, it's 2:30 a.m. and down to 72 glorious degrees outside the Spirited Lair.

PhotoDave219

Was just about to head to bed when the BIG DLP news (that really wasn't) hit. But I see @ParentsOf4 has already put it up.

Good to know that despite some crazy fanbois who want the resort to close for some bizarre reasons, that Disney is going to do whatever is needed to shore the resort up (anyone who was there a few years ago and then again in 2014 knows that many things are FINALLY getting worked on). So, sorry, no Walmart where the DSP sits, no local operator coming into run a Disney IP removed shell of a MK, and no hotel company taking over the resorts or bulldozing them. ... And $$$ will be flowing for the 25th Anniversary in 2.5 years.

So, I don't have any news to drop here just yet. Poor @Lee still insists on rooting for the Titans. Poor fanbois cry for Maelstrom's final weekend yet 99.9% don't have the balls to pick up the phone and engage someone at the exec level ... etc.

How about that Forbes 400 list last week, right? 400 Americans worth $2.3 trillion ... yep, let's not bring up 'class warfare' and what the top one percent is doing to the rest of us.

So, lemme get this straight, SW offering $55 weekday tickets is desperate, but WDW offering $199 four-day, one park each, DVC passes isn't?

Why do I have the feeling that @WDWFigment is away on some long vacation? Is this his Asian trip time? I do hope he joined the HK protesters for democracy!

Cupcake parties with preferred 'seating' for a light show you walk around in sure sounds like something I'd pay $100 for.

Is @marni1971 still at WDW? If not, then I'd love to hear his observations and thoughts.

Finally, the best and most surprising news is that fall officially arrived in SoFla last night. Yep, it's 2:30 a.m. and down to 72 glorious degrees outside the Spirited Lair.

I believe Martin has returned to the Isles....

misterID

You're making reference to new AA's. How about CoP and PoTC and the other old AA's? John Wayne in TGMR looks like he has stick up his back and Tarzan is just embarrassing! The problem is that AA's wear out over time. The poor AA's in CoP are just falling apart. For every good AA at Disney I can easily name 3 more that are terrible. On the other hand the singing busts in the Haunted Mansion graveyard and Little Leota look great because they are projections. All the new AA's that you mention will degrade. I know it's hard for Disney to get away from dressing a mechanical figure up in a costume since it's part of the Disney DNA.

As Disney moves more and more toward digital projections the illusions will improve. As they move into digital holography the illusions will be realistic and because they're digital they will not degrade with time. They'll be able to use actors and/or animation to create illusions that will look absolutely real and not some hokey looking 3D.

Mechanical AA's are old school. I expect Disney to keep them around just as they have old steam trains for the sake of nostalgia. Oh, and they'll keep those hokey looking 3D shows around for nostalgia as well. However, they'll keep the various Pepper's ghost illusions around because they work just as well today as when they were new!
The writing is basically on the wall for UNI in regards to screens. The biggest raves from EFG were about those amazing Goblin AA's... I mean, it was across the board and widely praised, not to mention one of the biggest criticisms was that it was another screen based attraction. It is known. And UNI is the best, imo, at using the tech you're mentioning; projections and holograms.

It's also known that the screen push at UNI has been because of one of their major ride manufacturers and Comcast liked it. I hope that changes.

Projections can go hand in hand with AAs, you don't need to drop the latter for the former.

Bring up COP AAs all you want. The American Adventure AAs are amazing, and saw for myself how they can bring a crowd around during an otherwise underwhelming show -- the music, I mean come on. I wish TAA could have been a dark ride. I'm still awed by those AAs. Incredible stuff.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

Looks like Euro Disney stock is getting hammered, down about 13% in today's trading so far. Expect this to fluctuate throughout the day.

Euro Disney SCA is the company that runs DLP. Disney is the single largest shareholder, owning 40% of stock. Saudi Prince AlWaleed bin Tala owns another 10% and votes with Disney, giving Disney effective shareholder control over Euro Disney.

The deal announced earlier today includes a $750M debt-to-equity conversion and a $439M rights issue.

As of last year, Euro Disney had borrowed about $2.3B from Disney. The debt-to-equity conversion turns $750M of that loan into stock, which is good for Euro Disney since it means it no longer has to pay principle or interest on that $750M.

If nothing else was done, this would result in Disney having majority ownership of Euro Disney.

The rights issue is a way of offering existing shareholders a chance to buy more stock so that they can maintain their current percent ownership.

On paper, the plan is a way for Euro Disney to raise capital while having some of its debt forgiven.

Existing shareholders do not have to accept the rights issue offer. If they choose not to purchase the additional shares of stock, then Disney's percent ownership of Euro Disney will increase. If enough decline, then Disney will become the majority owner.

Basically, existing shareholders are being told to cough up $439M out of their own pockets or see their percent ownership of Euro Disney decrease.

P.S. Reuters has an updated story.

Quoting from part of it:

Under the plan, shareholders are to be offered nine new shares for every one held for 1 euro a share, raising 351 million euros. The company said the rights offer price represented a 20 percent discount to Friday's closing price, adjusted for the issuance of the new shares.

In addition, shareholders will have the option to buy some of the shares issued in the debt conversion at 1.25 euros a share to avoid diluting their stakes. The company's debt will fall to 998 million euros, taking the company's balance sheet from a negative equity position of around 200 million euros at the end of September to positive equity of 800 million.

Depending on shareholder uptake of the rights issue and debt swap, the company said there was a small chance that the listed entity could be removed from the stock market.​

Note the "shareholders are to be offered nine new shares for every one held for 1 euro a share" and the "shareholders will have the option to buy some of the shares issued in the debt conversion at 1.25 euros a share to avoid diluting their stakes" parts.

Wow, just wow.

It looks like Disney is moving in the for kill. Any current shareholder who doesn't invest a significant amount in the stock offerings will see their percent ownership greatly reduced. It seems likely that Disney will become the majority owner of Euro Disney.

Last edited:

Bolna

It looks like Disney is moving in the for kill. Anyone who doesn't take the rights issue will see their percent ownership greatly reduced.

I am actually a Euro Disney SCA shareholder - mainly for the perks the Shareholders Club gives me when visiting DLP. So I did not invest too heavily into the company (after all, it never seemed the most stable company...). It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

I am wondering whether the original limitations Disney had with how much percentage of Euro Disney SCA they were allowed to own no longer play a role. And I also wonder whether if (or more likely: when) Disney ends up being a majority shareholder they will own enough shares for a squeeze out to make Euro Disney SCA a fully owned subsidiary of TWDC. That might actually be the end goal - to take over total control.

Also interesting that this is announced just at the beginning of the new business year.

Bolna

What percentage of ED SCA does the French govt. own?

None, as far as I know. According to the French Wikipedia the three largest shareholders are
  • The Walt Disney Company (39,8 %)
  • Prince Alwaleed (10 %)
  • INVESCO (5,01 %)
ETA: One should note however, that the managing partner of Euro Disney SCA (which is a partnership on shares) is fully ownend by TWDC and hence Disney has full control over the management of Euro Disney SCA despite not owning the majority of the shares.

mgf

This should clear up any confusion.

Attachments

• lou.jpg
    lou.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 296

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom