The Park Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios? Yep ...

Bolt

So... the last time I was on the this thread was in August and I had just had an annoying time checking into the GF. Which was when I heard from the CM doing my check in the name change was going to be Hollywoodland or maybe it's Disneys Hollywood Land. Has there been a confirmation of the new name yet?
Sure hope the Osborne lights are going to be up for Thanksgiving....
The lights are almost all set up.

TP2000

So... the last time I was on the this thread was in August and I had just had an annoying time checking into the GF. Which was when I heard from the CM doing my check in the name change was going to be Hollywoodland or maybe it's Disneys Hollywood Land. Has there been a confirmation of the new name yet?

$12 an hour front desk clerks in polyester ties are now telling people in check-in lines that they are changing the name of DHS to Disney's Hollywoodland? :eek:

Like the Hollywood Land that already exists at a Disney theme park? https://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/map/#/disney-california-adventure/

Is there any management presence at all in Disney's deluxe hotels?!? Assuming there is some management on property, do they have any ability to keep their front-line 12 dollar an hour employees from just making stuff up and/or telling paying customers wild rumors that reflect poorly on the parent company?

How do these CM's spreading bad rumors look at themselves in the mirror and pretend they have any sense of professionalism with that type of customer patter? And why does management allow it? I'm baffled at that.

If I checked in to a 400 dollar a night Ritz-Carlton and the front desk clerk (who is a perfect stranger) told me as the paying customer some crazy rumor about the corporate office changing branding strategies or unannounced company tactics, I'd be scared for what other unprofessional behaviors he engages in while I'm in the hotel. And if I mentioned that bizarre interaction to the Ritz-Carlton manager you can bet that employee would have his tail between his legs for a week, if he was allowed to keep his job.

But at Disney's cheesy "Deluxe" hotels? Sure, lie to the customers and tell them weird rumors you have no authority to mention just to make conversation. Just bizarre how TDO allows that to happen over and over and over again. :rolleyes:

FutureWorld1982

I can top that. I have to say, if Orlando didn't have Epcot - I would probably never have reason to step foot in Florida again. ;)

Extremely sad statement, as there is SO MUCH MORE to Florida than theme parks. I could come up with a hundred different things just in the Central Florida area. That's all I have to say (even though I feel the same way you do after having been back from six days in Southern California. If it weren't for Disneyland, I would never go back there). I definitely need to make some time and visit Northern California and the rest of the U.S.

Last edited:

jlsHouston

$12 an hour front desk clerks in polyester ties are now telling people in check-in lines that they are changing the name of DHS to Disney's Hollywoodland? :eek:

Like the Hollywood Land that already exists at a Disney theme park? https://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/map/#/disney-california-adventure/

Is there any management presence at all in Disney's deluxe hotels?!? Assuming there is some management on property, do they have any ability to keep their front-line 12 dollar an hour employees from just making stuff up and/or telling paying customers wild rumors that reflect poorly on the parent company?

How do these CM's spreading bad rumors look at themselves in the mirror and pretend they have any sense of professionalism with that type of customer patter? And why does management allow it? I'm baffled at that.

If I checked in to a 400 dollar a night Ritz-Carlton and the front desk clerk (who is a perfect stranger) told me as the paying customer some crazy rumor about the corporate office changing branding strategies or unannounced company tactics, I'd be scared for what other unprofessional behaviors he engages in while I'm in the hotel. And if I mentioned that bizarre interaction to the Ritz-Carlton manager you can bet that employee would have his tail between his legs for a week, if he was allowed to keep his job.

But at Disney's cheesy "Deluxe" hotels? Sure, lie to the customers and tell them weird rumors you have no authority to mention just to make conversation. Just bizarre how TDO allows that to happen over and over and over again. :rolleyes:

Well based on the entire ordeal of my check in process at the GF, the front desk gossip was the least of the bad form I experienced. I found it much more bizarre to pull up to valet with a car full of people and luggage for check in and be basically abandoned by the greeter/valet person once he motioned me to pull to the side. Then after standing in a quasi line at the front desk to do the check in, while all kinds of guests were approaching the front desk from self created lines that held only themselves and boy did they dart up to the desk fast and everyone behind the line of that front desk would just helplessly gaze over at those of us who where actually waiting in THE LINE....
Didn't appear management was anywhere to be had for the really important task of customer service...

Last edited:

Bolt

Pretty sure the starting rate of front desk is closer to $8.50/hr

note2001

Hurts a bit to realize that the one company in the world which is known for and based on imagination cannot come up with an imaginative name for a theme park. Well, not since Walt Disney passed away that is.

TP2000

Hurts a bit to realize that the one company in the world which is known for and based on imagination cannot come up with an imaginative name for a theme park. Well, not since Walt Disney passed away that is.

I'm not that thrilled with naming the park Hollywoodland myself, but to be fair Walt only named one theme park in his life before he died in 1966.

And the one name he came up with wasn't all that creative since the branding concept of "land" after a place name or proper name had already existed for decades prior to Walt coming up with "Disneyland" as the name for his park. Just in SoCal alone, Marineland opened a year before Disneyland did and Jungleland had opened in 1926, a year before Walt even arrived in California. Playland opened in 1928, a year after Walt arrived.

In Walt's youthful stomping ground of Chicago in the 1910's and 20's, there was Joyland and Kiddieland as two local amusement parks he may have visited as a teenager. Even the popular name for the metro area "Chicagoland", was a name invented and first used in the Chicago Tribune in 1926, and was widely in use by the 1930's.

Naming his own park "Disneyland" in 1955 wasn't much of a creative stretch. But it sure found a fan base quickly. :)

Soarin' Over Pgh

I don't understand why "Hollywood" or "studios" needs to stay in the park name at all. It's not a working studios, it's not even close to acting looking or being like Hollywood.

Change the direction of the park (from defunct studio) and change the name to reflect that directional shift.

note2001

I'm not that thrilled with naming the park Hollywoodland myself, but to be fair Walt only named one theme park in his life before he died in 1966.

And the one name he came up with wasn't all that creative since the branding concept of "land" after a place name or proper name had already existed for decades prior to Walt coming up with "Disneyland" as the name for his park. Just in SoCal alone, Marineland opened a year before Disneyland did and Jungleland had opened in 1926, a year before Walt even arrived in California. Playland opened in 1928, a year after Walt arrived.

In Walt's youthful stomping ground of Chicago in the 1910's and 20's, there was Joyland and Kiddieland as two local amusement parks he may have visited as a teenager. Even the popular name for the metro area "Chicagoland", was a name invented and first used in the Chicago Tribune in 1926, and was widely in use by the 1930's.

Naming his own park "Disneyland" in 1955 wasn't much of a creative stretch. But it sure found a fan base quickly. :)

EPCOT was unique and imaginative. Walt was in charge and very much alive when that name was given to the yet undeveloped property in Florida. I believe I've seen a clip of him and his crew pushing the two models together to create it.

TP2000

I don't understand why "Hollywood" or "studios" needs to stay in the park name at all. It's not a working studios, it's not even close to acting looking or being like Hollywood.

Good point.

Hollywood, California has a theater and other buildings that look like this...
8446942307_6073c185c3_z.jpg

But Hollywood, California doesn't have anything that even remotely resembles this...
walt-disney-world-disney-hollywood-studios-2013-6.jpg

Maybe they could rename the park... Disney's Hatland ?

TP2000

EPCOT was unique and imaginative. Walt was in charge and very much alive when that name was given to the yet undeveloped property in Florida. I believe I've seen a clip of him and his crew pushing the two models together to create it.

Well, sure, there was EPCOT circa 1966. But that wasn't going to be a theme park. That was a model city and industrial showplace that was never built, sadly. Walt was calling the entire property (EPCOT, the "amusement theme park", tourist facilities, infrastructure, etc.) as "the Disney World" in that film. Walt died two months after the film was shot.

In that EPCOT '66 film, Walt spends a few brief moments explaining that a "amusement theme park" will sit in the northern end of the Florida property, and then he points to a direct cut and paste copy of Disneyland's park map circa 1965 roughly where Magic Kingdom Park now sits. Even though WDW of 1971, much less 2014, didn't end up like Walt's original plans, it's a wonderful film to watch for any Disney fan!

Walt points to Disneyland's cut and paste job at the 7:25 point in this excellent film.
Go full screen, pause at 7:25, and say hello to the Flying Saucers and Storybookland and the Indian Village, circa 1965!

And whatever happened to the "Roller Dome"?!?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom