The Park Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios? Yep ...

Mike S

Sorry to reply to my own post, but it's also probably easier than the Disney suits realise. Tokyo DisneySea is a great example of weaving a strong theme and story while making use of your IP, without it seeming disjointed.

It has the Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Indiana Jones, Captain Nemo, Sindbad and Duffy... characters and IP everywhere. What connects those? Not much, you might think.

But DisneySea manages it very successfully. Every land has a strong connection with rivers and seas, be it the ocean research station of the future in Port Discovery, or the Spice trading of Agrabah, or Indiana Jones's Amazon, or Sindbad's sailing voyage, or the story of Duffy. The Sea theme permeates everything, and nobody doubts what they're going into. It's seas, and islands, and ports, and underwater... the theme of the Sea park, is the sea, and everything has to have a link to it.

When it was a working movie studio, Disney-MGM Studios had that focus too, but it's been lost, and that sense of theme and story is what they need to find again.
Which is exactly why Frozen wouldn't be any kind of break in theme by being added to TDS. Not one bit. Norway just doesn't work though.

lazyboy97o

Sorry to reply to my own post, but it's also probably easier than the Disney suits realise. Tokyo DisneySea is a great example of weaving a strong theme and story while making use of your IP, without it seeming disjointed.

It has the Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Indiana Jones, Captain Nemo, Sindbad and Duffy... characters and IP everywhere. What connects those? Not much, you might think.

But DisneySea manages it very successfully. Every land has a strong connection with rivers and seas, be it the ocean research station of the future in Port Discovery, or the Spice trading of Agrabah, or Indiana Jones's Amazon, or Sindbad's sailing voyage, or the story of Duffy. The Sea theme permeates everything, and nobody doubts what they're going into. It's seas, and islands, and ports, and underwater... the theme of the Sea park, is the sea, and everything has to have a link to it.

When it was a working movie studio, Disney-MGM Studios had that focus too, but it's been lost, and that sense of theme and story is what they need to find again.
Not to head too far down this, but I will say that McDucks Department Store is the one that just stood out as contrived. Including Sinbad as IP is also, in my mind, is a bit of a stretch. Yes, it is an established story but not one that had prior Disney media (unless you count the previous version of the attraction).

The challenge faced by a studio park is that a real studio is disconnected and chaotic. You do jump from Ancient Rome to New York City to a seaside village to a wild jungle. It's the very opposite of how theme parks work and nobody seems to have yet found a way to make it works as it often just comes across as confused, cheap and lazy. Only Universal Studios Hollywood seems to have made it work, but it is still dominated by the very storied studio that plays host to the entertainment experience. The Islands of Adventure/Disneland model seems to be working well for Universal and it might well work for Disney with Disney's Hollywood Studios. The problem though is this model being repeated everywhere else so that the park still lacks a guiding uniqueness.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Not to head too far down this, but I will say that McDucks Department Store is the one that just stood out as contrived. Including Sinbad as IP is also, in my mind, is a bit of a stretch. Yes, it is an established story but not one that had prior Disney media (unless you count the previous version of the attraction).

The challenge faced by a studio park is that a real studio is disconnected and chaotic. You do jump from Ancient Rome to New York City to a seaside village to a wild jungle. It's the very opposite of how theme parks work and nobody seems to have yet found a way to make it works as it often just comes across as confused, cheap and lazy. Only Universal Studios Hollywood seems to have made it work, but it is still dominated by the very storied studio that plays host to the entertainment experience. The Islands of Adventure/Disneland model seems to be working well for Universal and it might well work for Disney with Disney's Hollywood Studios. The problem though is this model being repeated everywhere else so that the park still lacks a guiding uniqueness.
I loved this post.

But, I'd say, the "uniqueness" is staring Disney in the face.

It's where all the non-canon Disney IPs have a home.

And that works as a "studios" concept.

So...

Marvel Studios
Henson Studios
Lucas Studios
Pixar Studios

All these work as separate sections connected with the entry and the "Hollywood" Theme, and provide ample IP for fantastic rides and experiences.

In addition, Toon Town (a different version than DL, but you get the idea) would be a great addition to this park, as it would fit with the "Old School Hollywood" theme of the entrance and Hollywood Blvd.

Tying the park together isn't the issue. Money and motivation are.

NoChesterHester

I loved this post.

So...

Marvel Studios
Henson Studios
Lucas Studios
Pixar Studios

All these work as separate sections connected with the entry and the "Hollywood" Theme, and provide ample IP for fantastic rides and experiences.

In addition, Toon Town (a different version than DL, but you get the idea) would be a great addition to this park, as it would fit with the "Old School Hollywood" theme of the entrance and Hollywood Blvd.

The word Studios has the connotation of creation. As in something is created or produced there. No creation is occurring in Florida.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The word Studios has the connotation of creation. As in something is created or produced there. No creation is occurring in Florida.
It also has the definition of a "film or television production company".

Creation need not be a factor.

But, I agree, it was far better when it was an active "studio".

lazyboy97o

It has successfully been changed to suggest just being a theme park about movies. Universal Studios Japan and Universal Studios Singapore lack production facilities (and they're rarely acknowledged at Universal Studios Florida) and it's never really questioned.

NoChesterHester

It has successfully been changed to suggest just being a theme park about movies. Universal Studios Japan and Universal Studios Singapore lack production facilities (and they're rarely acknowledged at Universal Studios Florida) and it's never really questioned.

Just because it is incorrectly used previously doesn't make it right. Just because the sheeples don't question something is a terrible justification for its continued usage.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Just because it is incorrectly used previously doesn't make it right. Just because the sheeples don't question something is a terrible justification for its continued usage.
So, no reason for Avatarland.

(also, it's usage is correct using the dictionary definition...then again yolo, is now in Websters, so I'm not sure how accurate the dictionary is anymore)

lazyboy97o

Hard to claim it has been misused when the first intentionally designed studio park was the rather ride focused Universal Studios Florida.

NoChesterHester

So, no reason for Avatarland.

(also, it's usage is correct using the dictionary definition...then again yolo, is now in Websters, so I'm not sure how accurate the dictionary is anymore)

Funny on Avatarland.

Sorry to keep on it, but I find the "studios" name the only thing that doesn't fit. By any definition it is where something is produced or created. Nothing like that is done.

NoChesterHester

Hard to claim it has been misused when the first intentionally designed studio park was the rather ride focused Universal Studios Florida.

Rather ride focused, but still the original intention of both Studios parks in Florida was to produce content. There was the whole second Hollywood movement that died a not so glorious death.

stevehousse

I loved this post.

So...

Marvel Studios
Henson Studios
Lucas Studios
Pixar Studios

This is exactly what I have been saying! They can easily maintain the studio aspect of the park with a little TLC...even if they do change it to Disneys Hollywood Adventure, they can still keep the studio theme, having you enter various different studios within the park.

Sunset Blvd can be renamed Golden Hollywood Studios, the golden age of film.

The front section to the left should be Lucas Studios. Replace the stage show with an Indiana Jones ride and add a ton of Star Wars sets and rides.

Muppet Studios...add a dark ride and retheme mama melroses to Chefs restaurant.

Pixar Studios, using the entire backlot and cars show to expand that area and add many rides. Replace it with a better pizza planet and a new sit down restaurant with toy story characters. ( which would be a huge money maker)

Turn the animation courtyard into Disney Animation Studios an add a dark ride or 2 involving animation or even an actual Mickey Mouse dark ride.

It honestly wouldn't be that hard to do these simple things, but money seems to be the biggest issue...if I can come up with things like this, why can't people that actually work for the parks division do it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom