The Park Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios? Yep ...

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
It would seem as if we have another case of a member who "wants to play with the big bois" by reading up on the rumors here from the past year+.

All rumors here....please close this forum. It isn't going to happen. Disney will not change Maelstrom.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/frozen-ride-replacing-maelstrom.878451/page-217#post-6311140

Then

By closing.....you mean a refurbishment. You have to agree the ride is worn out and the the movie portion needs updating. Sure it might have a touch of Frozen in the new update, but nothing to get alarmed about. It needs a fresh look and it will only bring in the guests. The face characters are planning to return once the update has been completed.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/frozen-ride-replacing-maelstrom.878451/page-217#post-6312266

AEfx

I'd never heard that; that's really cool.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty neat, too.

I believe it was in Rinzler's recent Making of...Star Wars book. I was reading that and the Secret History of Star Wars at the same time, but I'm pretty sure it was in Rinzler's book. It was discussing how Lucas basically shopped SW around to every studio in Hollywood and was turned down - I can't remember if he didn't actually meet with the then current Walt Disney Studios folks or if they were one of the ones that just said no, but there is a great quote from Lucas who said that if Walt hadn't have died, he was pretty sure they belonged at Disney and that only someone like him would get "the vision".

BTW, if anyone hasn't checked out RInzler's books - ROTJ just came out last year, so the OT books are completed. They are beyond amazing. Just Epic. Could not put any of them down. The hardcover versions are pricey (but worth it, the pictures from the archives are jaw dropping) but they also have Kindle and iBooks versions at reasonable prices.

Basically, they document the entire production almost day-by-day of each film. Stuff unearthed from the archives that folks didn't even know existed. And what's the best is that it's official, but there definitely are some warts in there, and it's really honest. Everyone has their "not so hot" moments, even Lucas several times. The stuff about how they did all the space battles was epic - I thought I knew it all, but I there was so much in there and so much new stuff it was like being a kid again.

(End book ad, LOL - I swear, I didn't write it or know the writer - I wish!)

FrankLapidus

Beauty and the Beast stage production will be leaving, as well. Great things are on the way for Disney Parks! Thanks, Tom, Meg and George.

I'll believe these rumours you're posting when Disney actually gives me a reason too, heard them all before but never seen any actual movement on them.

And a "watered down" Cars Land? Yeah, thanks a bunch Tom, Meg and George for really pushing the boat out on that one.

Last edited:

mikenatcity1

I don't know if this is the place for this but thought i'd ask- a friend posted an article that shows many attractions closing after October 11 at the Studios to make room for Pixar. When going to the official Disney World website, there are no times for any of these attractions after that date while others (like Muppet Vision 3D) are available weeks after. Forgive me- this is my first time with something like this :)

http://.com/blog/2014/09/bye-bye-ba...coming-many-current-attractions-closing-soon/

YodaMan

There is a problem with that information. I am saying because the building guests used as an exit up to Mid August of 2014 is going to be use as Oaken's Trading post starting next month. I am making a big deal out of that because it wouldn't make sense for Disney using an attraction exit for Oaken's Trading post when the Backlot is going to be gone. The last I checked Frozen being in a pixar area is a bad mix.

The other thing is no one on this site that is an insider you can trust has even confirmed this information is true. I know Photodave219 did say it is Plausable, he say that I wouldn't be using the Disney Scheduling dept as a source to stake my reputation on it

^this. Not saying the rumor is impossible, but would Disney really move Oaken's to AFI on the 29th, keep it open through Christmas, but then close Backlot and HISTK and MI on October 11?

wdwfan4ver

^this. Not saying the rumor is impossible, but would Disney really move Oaken's to AFI on the 29th, keep it open through Christmas, but then close Backlot and HISTK and MI on October 11?
The closing date claimed is now September 27th.

I deleted my post because of the new info on that site about it closing on September 27th based on cast members being told, but I still question it based on Oaken's going to be moved to AFI on the 29th. Cast members being told information is something I usually take seriously though.

The only thing I can think of is they wouldn't be touching the exist building of the Backlot tour through Christmas or early next year, but it wouldn't make much sense to me if they start work on other parts of the Backlot tour before than. I am going by the amount of entrances would be needed in order to get into the expansion.

note2001

I'm hopeful that Disney will use the Back Lot Tour space well. This is far more exciting than Pandora addition to AK imho.

FutureWorld1982

Yep. And Oaken's still 100% moving to AFI. Incredibly odd if you ask me, but hopefully they know what they're doing.

I agree. It looks like the decision to close the Studio Backlot Tour was taken at the last minute, even more so than when they decided to move Wandering Oaken's.

YodaMan

I agree. It looks like the decision to close the Studio Backlot Tour was taken at the last minute, even more so than when they decided to move Wandering Oaken's.

I'm at Studios today and rode Backlot, and you could partly see into AFI and see that a good chunk of work has already been done to get ready for Oaken's. If the decision for Backlot was truly so last minute, I guess it might have been too late to relocate Oaken's from AFI to somewhere else. If there is a lot of demo involved, I could see them spending now until December just tearing things down, and then take AFI with it once Christmas has passed.

misterID

I'll believe these rumours you're posting when Disney actually gives me a reason too, heard them all before but never seen any actual movement on them.

And a "watered down" Cars Land? Yeah, thanks a bunch Tom, Meg and George for really pushing the boat out on that one.
So Carsland is actually coming?

DisneyGentleman

Exclusive photos
5BwA1uS.jpg

o46sfwE.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom