The Park Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios? Yep ...

Mike S

I don't understand why "Hollywood" or "studios" needs to stay in the park name at all. It's not a working studios, it's not even close to acting looking or being like Hollywood.

Change the direction of the park (from defunct studio) and change the name to reflect that directional shift.
What about the Hollywood and Sunset Blvd. areas of the park? To me Hollywood should stay and drop Studios.

Goofyernmost

There is a reason why the name "Disney" became Disney. What the company is doing now is not how they got to be that way. That's the crux of it.
Except that it was named Disney because the founder was named Disney. They could have been a trash collecting company and it still would have been named Disney.

Hurts a bit to realize that the one company in the world which is known for and based on imagination cannot come up with an imaginative name for a theme park. Well, not since Walt Disney passed away that is.
How do we know that they haven't? I haven't heard anything from Disney and the only mention has been from posters that used the same amount of imagination to come up with Hollywoodland as they did when they named their dog Rover.

EPCOT was unique and imaginative. Walt was in charge and very much alive when that name was given to the yet undeveloped property in Florida. I believe I've seen a clip of him and his crew pushing the two models together to create it.
Neat trick. Walt died in 1966 and EPCOT was built in 1981. Besides that EPCOT to him was a city of tomorrow not a theme park. Might want to check out where you saw that picture and if Vodka was involved.

RSoxNo1

$12 an hour front desk clerks in polyester ties are now telling people in check-in lines that they are changing the name of DHS to Disney's Hollywoodland? :eek:

Like the Hollywood Land that already exists at a Disney theme park? https://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/map/#/disney-california-adventure/

Is there any management presence at all in Disney's deluxe hotels?!? Assuming there is some management on property, do they have any ability to keep their front-line 12 dollar an hour employees from just making stuff up and/or telling paying customers wild rumors that reflect poorly on the parent company?

How do these CM's spreading bad rumors look at themselves in the mirror and pretend they have any sense of professionalism with that type of customer patter? And why does management allow it? I'm baffled at that.

If I checked in to a 400 dollar a night Ritz-Carlton and the front desk clerk (who is a perfect stranger) told me as the paying customer some crazy rumor about the corporate office changing branding strategies or unannounced company tactics, I'd be scared for what other unprofessional behaviors he engages in while I'm in the hotel. And if I mentioned that bizarre interaction to the Ritz-Carlton manager you can bet that employee would have his tail between his legs for a week, if he was allowed to keep his job.

But at Disney's cheesy "Deluxe" hotels? Sure, lie to the customers and tell them weird rumors you have no authority to mention just to make conversation. Just bizarre how TDO allows that to happen over and over and over again. :rolleyes:
Not the name I heard. I didn't mind the name told to me and it's relatively predictable.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
...But Hollywood, California doesn't have anything that even remotely resembles this...
walt-disney-world-disney-hollywood-studios-2013-6.jpg

Maybe they could rename the park... Disney's Hatland ?
West Riverside Dr in Burbank actually does have a very similar building.

Perhaps we can get them to change the name to Disney Burbankland.

FutureWorld1982

I would be happy if they completely did away with the Hollywood theme. Like everyone else has said, it is not a working studios, so there's no need for it to be called this way. What could they call it, though?

AndyS2992

I would be happy if they completely did away with the Hollywood theme. Like everyone else has said, it is not a working studios, so there's no need for it to be called this way. What could they call it, though?
Yeah but same can be said for Epcot since that is not an Experimental Prototype community of Tomorrow nor does the Magic Kingdom actually contain real magic, obviously. Animal Kingdom is really the only park that lives up to its name, but it even that is skewed a little with Avatar and Dinosaurs.:p

I like the Hollywood studio theme but if changing the name means a huge expansion then whatever, as long as the rest of the park get refurbished to match the new name and theme then I will be happy. My instinct tells me if they do rename the park it will be something naff like 'Disney's Hollywood Adventure' which would mean they can cheap out and keep the studio themed stuff since it will still match the Hollywood theme.

AndyS2992

California doesn't have anything that even remotely resembles this...
walt-disney-world-disney-hollywood-studios-2013-6.jpg

Maybe they could rename the park... Disney's Hatland ?

The hat is based on the hat on top of the Roy E Disney Animation building at Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, CA.

Roy_E._Disney_Animation_Building.jpg

Walt Disney Studios park at Disneyland Paris also has a hat in the middle of the park to pay homage to the building.

WDS%20-%20Animation%20Building%2001.jpg

Mainahman

Hurts a bit to realize that the one company in the world which is known for and based on imagination cannot come up with an imaginative name for a theme park. Well, not since Walt Disney passed away that is.
We all know they threw out imagination a long time ago if you catch my drift!

stevehousse

Except that it was named Disney because the founder was named Disney. They could have been a trash collecting company and it still would have been named Disney.

How do we know that they haven't? I haven't heard anything from Disney and the only mention has been from posters that used the same amount of imagination to come up with Hollywoodland as they did when they named their dog Rover.

Neat trick. Walt died in 1966 and EPCOT was built in 1981. Besides that EPCOT to him was a city of tomorrow not a theme park. Might want to check out where you saw that picture and if Vodka was involved.

There was a video of the making of Epcot that did show and talk about how world showcase and futureworld were 2 seperate "parks" and they decided to push them together, but it had nothing to do with when Walt was alive...

FigmentJedi

I don't understand why "Hollywood" or "studios" needs to stay in the park name at all. It's not a working studios, it's not even close to acting looking or being like Hollywood.

Change the direction of the park (from defunct studio) and change the name to reflect that directional shift.

Good point.

Hollywood, California has a theater and other buildings that look like this...
8446942307_6073c185c3_z.jpg

Other then that stupid hat, the whole front half of the park is basically a museum of Hollywood Architecture.

Yesterland's got a six part series of articles on the subject http://www.yesterland.com/replicas.html

Goofyernmost

There was a video of the making of Epcot that did show and talk about how world showcase and futureworld were 2 seperate "parks" and they decided to push them together, but it had nothing to do with when Walt was alive...
Yes, I am familiar with that video and have seen it myself. I was going to look it up and see if anyone of those people in the video resembled Walt at all. Then I decided, life is way to short to spend it looking for insignificant information.

SosoDude

The hat is based on the hat on top of the Roy E Disney Animation building at Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, CA.

Walt Disney Studios park at Disneyland Paris also has a hat in the middle of the park to pay homage to the building.

I thought it was based on the hat from the Sorcerers Apprentice segment of Fantasia.

BrerJon

Far more important than what they call it, is what it's *about*. Instead of Disney IP MishMash Land, they need to come up with a coherent theme and story to tell across the park, and a natural name should come from that.

If it's tough to come up with a name, perhaps they need to re-examine what they want that theme to be.

lazyboy97o

The Feature Animation Building has been despised by animators since they were shoved into its over indulgent failure to understand how an animated film is produced.

BrerJon

If it's tough to come up with a name, perhaps they need to re-examine what they want that theme to be.

Sorry to reply to my own post, but it's also probably easier than the Disney suits realise. Tokyo DisneySea is a great example of weaving a strong theme and story while making use of your IP, without it seeming disjointed.

It has the Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Indiana Jones, Captain Nemo, Sindbad and Duffy... characters and IP everywhere. What connects those? Not much, you might think.

But DisneySea manages it very successfully. Every land has a strong connection with rivers and seas, be it the ocean research station of the future in Port Discovery, or the Spice trading of Agrabah, or Indiana Jones's Amazon, or Sindbad's sailing voyage, or the story of Duffy. The Sea theme permeates everything, and nobody doubts what they're going into. It's seas, and islands, and ports, and underwater... the theme of the Sea park, is the sea, and everything has to have a link to it.

When it was a working movie studio, Disney-MGM Studios had that focus too, but it's been lost, and that sense of theme and story is what they need to find again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom