The Harmony Barber Shop at the Magic Kingdom closing for refurbishment in early 2015

dolce20

Let's pretend for arguments sake, they really are freshening up the barber shop for 2 months (which is a long time for such a small space). I adore this shop and last time we were there, it looked fine. New chairs? The old ones lend themselves perfectly to the theme. New paint, wallpaper? Didn't see any wear or tear. Hhmm. Just crossing fingers it re-opens looking as sweet and as turn of the century as it always did.

docdebbi

my daughter has had each of her sons' first haircuts done there, and we only go once a year or so. sometimes they look like girls by the time we actually get to Disney to get the cut, but at Disney it must be!!!
she has been debating a fourth child - well, ok, her husband wants a fourth, she's debating..........if it were to close, that would do it. NO MORE BABIES!

If you can't get their first haircut at Disney, why bother having them? :joyfull:

cflwcast

I have had my husband's haircut there on our babymoon in 2003 and 3 of our 4 boys first haircuts done there. Gonna have to get the youngest ones cut this fall.

cflwcast

Never gotten a haircut there, how much more is it than a regular place?

I would hope for a Great Clips. 10th haircut is free :)
I know baby's first cut is $18 and it includes "baby's first haircut" ears and certificate, plus they will save all the hair you want to keep. We've kept all of our babies locks

cflwcast

Don't think the barber shop will be going anywhere. I have seen management in there getting their hair cut when not super busy. And cast members get discounts there. Plus you can make a reservation to get your hair cut. Call reservation line and they can guide you to the right department.

doctornick

We had our daughter's first haircut here in May. What a fun & sweet experience! I highly recommend it when the barbershop reopens! :)

Yeah we recently did this for my infant son. And awesome experience!

Also, the prices seemed fairly reasonable considering. More expensive that a barber in the "real world" but not totally jacked up considering that there is a premium for being in a theme park and ambiance. Looking at the website, it is $19 for a regular adult haircut and $15 fr a regular child's haircut. The "baby's first haircut" package is $19.

prberk

I think it is cool. I have never had my hair cut there (usually with people who are one-timers and trying to get attractions in), but I have stopped there several times, and I have been with a marine that needed a cut before he went back home and to base. Ironically, they could not give him a shave, just a haircut. (I thought that they were full-service and could do the shaves, but not at least at that time a few years ago.) But it was a cool experience.

I think a barber shop is central to "Main Street, USA," and should be the "home port" of the barbershop quartet. So, I don't see it going anywhere, but I do understand people's trepidation, given WDW's recent history of cutting corners and taking out some of the small details that many of us seek out, and which made us love it in the first place. It was an example of going the extra mile for authenticity and service -- helping to make WDW the gold standard, which they should maintain.

dreamfinder

What kind of renovations would the barber shop need? Fresh paint? New chairs, shelves, and fixtures? I've never set foot in there so I don't know. When was the last time it closed for refurbishment? I hope Disney doesn't permanently close it.

Perhaps upgrading to better support the guest? I've only visited it once, but when I did they took reservations, but yet no one actually checked you in or sorted out those who had and those who hadn't. Their register at the time wasn't hooked up fully to the rest of the guest systems, so they weren't able to process all forms of payment.

DizneyPryncess

Yeah we recently did this for my infant son. And awesome experience!

Also, the prices seemed fairly reasonable considering. More expensive that a barber in the "real world" but not totally jacked up considering that there is a premium for being in a theme park and ambiance. Looking at the website, it is $19 for a regular adult haircut and $15 fr a regular child's haircut. The "baby's first haircut" package is $19.

Totally agree. I definitely think it's reasonably priced! For $19 it got us the haircut, a nice certificate about baby's first haircut, a little bag with a wrapped up "first curl" and pixie dust, and embroidered mouse ears (which of course we somehow lost.) I thought that was great for $19!

boufa

I think this is funny. It is closing for a refurb. That is all that is known for sure. However, this thread seems to have gone off the rails towards it closing for good.... and then the "experts" chime in that 2 months is too long for such a small space. We should all be exhausted from all of the jumping to conclusions that we do.

dstrawn9889

it may be structural in the atticspace above or roof-related, so you would have to close down the show for work being done(not necessarily the show-side of the building) i mean really guys, refurbs aren't just for pixiedust application...

prberk

I think this is funny. It is closing for a refurb. That is all that is known for sure. However, this thread seems to have gone off the rails towards it closing for good.... and then the "experts" chime in that 2 months is too long for such a small space. We should all be exhausted from all of the jumping to conclusions that we do.

I agree, but I can say that this also says something about Walt Disney World's reputation lately for shutting things down for good, and for cutting corners. It says a lot about that, I think, that now these refurbishment announcements raise suspicion as a matter of course among a good number of the regular fan community.

Ben_since_1971

people actually get their haircut at disney?!

Yep - got mine cut for the first time there last year. It was an awesome experience. Just a whole lotta fun. A group of girls came in to get pixie dusted before they went on into the park.

Perhaps they will be expanding the place. The place is very tiny with virtually no waiting room.

If I can time it right, I might get my hair cut again when I go in December.

ToTBellHop

1409741d1394159265-million-dollar-idea$$$$-jump-conclusions-mat.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom