The Harmony Barber Shop at the Magic Kingdom closing for refurbishment in early 2015

Animaniac93-98

If the shop has been around this long, it's probably safe to say that management thinks it's profitable enough to keep, and it's not going away in the near future.

Fractal514

I think there is an air of fear right now due to the cuts over in Epcot's entertainment and based on some of the trends we've seen lately. I don't know that I'd call it a "the sky is falling" mentality, but it certainly seems like some folks on this board think, with good reason, that WDW is looking to cut costs and maximize profits wherever it can and no matter the impact it has.

EpcoTim

But why? Attractions go down for refurbishment all the time. How often do they not return?

I'm sure it happens on occasion, but it seems like people might be jumping the gun here.

I think there is an air of fear right now due to the cuts over in Epcot's entertainment and based on some of the trends we've seen lately. I don't know that I'd call it a "the sky is falling" mentality, but it certainly seems like some folks on this board think, with good reason, that WDW is looking to cut costs and maximize profits wherever it can and no matter the impact it has.

What he said. The little details are disappearing left and right. This is a little detail.

BrerJon

Why is everyone assuming it'll close? I seem to be blind and am somehow skipping over that line in the link if it was in there...

People are jittery, because the suits at Team Disney Orlando have made them that way with various decisions over the last decade. There is zero trust left right now in the decisions of those in charge of WDW.

They closed the very profitable Pleasure Island, because they thought they could replace it with all day venues bringing in more money. They've slashed entertainment budgets and shows across the parks, paring down to the bare minimum as the feeling that all guests care about is attractions has grown. They've cut the maintenance right down to the bone so that chipped paint and broken effects are rife. All traces of uniqueness in Main Street and resort shops has been removed, so the only things you can get in any shop are the same things you can get in World of Disney. And several quick service restaurants never seem to be open at all except for a couple of days a year.

Basically in recent years WDW has been stripped of much that made it unique, and the Barber Shop is rare in that it is something left over from the good old days, involving entertainment, and probably not making that much money, but pure Disney magic.

It is the perfect location for a DVC kiosk, or a meet-and-greet, makes little profit, and most guests don't even know it exists. It's exactly the sort of thing the suits have earned a reputation for cutting, which is why you'll have to forgive some of us being a bit suspicious.

cw1982

What he said. The little details are disappearing left and right. This is a little detail.

Okay, but at the same time, earlier today I took a similarly reasonably negative outlook on the topic of the entertainment changes in Epcot and was quickly told by the same person that my logic was off. Now here I am trying to be more reasonable and open-minded, and the same person is justifying the negativity. Seems a bit self contradictory.

Not that it really matters. Just like we can't save OK, we can't save the barber shop if TDO really has it in for them. But I still think people might be jumping to conclusions here.

BrerJon

But why? Attractions go down for refurbishment all the time. How often do they not return?

I'll look into it, but first I'm going to grab a bite from the Tomorrowland Terrace, take a ride on Horizons, then chill out in the water at River Country.

Oh...

HRHPrincessAriel

but....there is nothing to indicate it's going anywhere... that's why I'm so lost on the whole sky is falling. The EPCOT stuff was stated as leaving...this is a refurbishment. The railroad is going down for a refurb in the fall. Is it closing? No. The monorail is as well. It's not going anywhere either. CRT, Haunted Mansion...the list goes on.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/refurbishments.htm

BrerJon

No need for sarcasm. I was asking a legitimate question.

I have no idea why this has to get heated. It's not like anything we say here will change the outcome.

I know I was just teasing. Sadly you're right, no amount of complaints will make a bit of difference if the axe has already fallen.

Fractal514

Okay, but at the same time, earlier today I took a similarly reasonably negative outlook on the topic of the entertainment changes in Epcot and was quickly told by the same person that my logic was off. Now here I am trying to be more reasonable and open-minded, and the same person is justifying the negativity. Seems a bit self contradictory.

Not that it really matters. Just like we can't save OK, we can't save the barber shop if TDO really has it in for them. But I still think people might be jumping to conclusions here.

Look, I said many times in that thread that I understood the logic of everyone there. I just wasn't prepared to condemn the new acts before they even started. I was trying to maintain a positive, optimistic, or foolish (you take your pick) outlook and everyone crapped all over me because they didn't agree with me. I'm not saying you people are crazy or even wrong, and I don't necessarily agree with you, but that doesn't mean I'm being contradictory or hypocritical, just nuanced.

You'll notice that in my post I talk about how some people are feeling, not how I'm feeling. I'm confident the barber shop will reopen and I'll be getting haircuts in there well into the future.

Fractal514

but....there is nothing to indicate it's going anywhere... that's why I'm so lost on the whole sky is falling. The EPCOT stuff was stated as leaving...this is a refurbishment. The railroad is going down for a refurb in the fall. Is it closing? No. The monorail is as well. It's not going anywhere either. CRT, Haunted Mansion...the list goes on.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/refurbishments.htm

I agree with you, I was just attempting to illuminate where some folks have been coming from recently.

cw1982

Look, I said many times in that thread that I understood the logic of everyone there. I just wasn't prepared to condemn the new acts before they even started. I was trying to maintain a positive, optimistic, or foolish (you take your pick) outlook and everyone crapped all over me because they didn't agree with me. I'm not saying you people are crazy or even wrong, and I don't necessarily agree with you, but that doesn't mean I'm being contradictory or hypocritical, just nuanced.

You'll notice that in my post I talk about how some people are feeling, not how I'm feeling. I'm confident the barber shop will reopen and I'll be getting haircuts in there well into the future.

If you felt like I "crapped all over you," I apologize. I certainly didn't mean to make you feel that way. But in the post I was referring to where you said I was wrong, I was doing the same thing you are in this thread. I was relating to why others may have felt a certain way, yet you still felt a need to try to disprove my logic. It was just odd to me that you and I found ourselves in pretty much opposite roles on this thread from where we were on that one.

I'm not looking to get into an argument here. I appreciate that everything I've seen from you today has been in a respectable tone. And I hope you're right about the barber shop. I think we can agree on that much :)

Fractal514

If you felt like I "crapped all over you," I apologize. I certainly didn't mean to make you feel that way. But in the post I was referring to where you said I was wrong, I was doing the same thing you are in this thread. I was relating to why others may have felt a certain way, yet you still felt a need to try to disprove my logic. It was just odd to me that you and I found ourselves in pretty much opposite roles on this thread from where we were on that one.

I'm not looking to get into an argument here. I appreciate that everything I've seen from you today has been in a respectable tone. And I hope you're right about the barber shop. I think we can agree on that much :)

It is entirely possible that at some point in that thread I confused you with someone else. For what it's worth, I don't think we're actually in opposite roles here, I was just explaining why some folks feel the way they do, not agreeing with them. Thank you for also keeping this a respectful conversation, I wish others would as well.

EOD K9

I had my haircut done there once per year. CM Michael remembered me on my second visit. IIRC, they were kind of expensive. I think I paid 20 bucks which isn't cheap, but at least it was done right. I've waited 90 minutes for a cut once. Before you flame me for waiting that long, it had been two weeks since my previous and I was traveling solo....therefore, I had time to kill. That being said, that's why I'd like it to stick around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom