The Creator Games!: An Imagineering Competition- Discussion Thread

Sam Magic

My medieval spain class was probably my favorite class because...well they were quite amazing. If you have a chance (if you haven't already) you should read Song of El Cid. It's a classic epic poem about a legendary Spanish warrior from the 8th century. It's similar to The Song of Roland.
I certainly will! Thanks for the suggestion! Also, you need to watch Gran Hotel on netflix...it's an amazing Spanish series that is literally like Downton Abbey meets House of Cards.

Disney Dad 3000

Yes!! :D The Muslims brought so much to Spain for the medieval time! They had insight in mathematics, architecture, astronomy, even brought coffee and almonds to the cuisine. Spain was probably my favorite country in the Medieval ages just because how culturally interesting it was.

Don't know if you've had the chance to visit Spain,but if not make it a point. Amazing sites and history. Went there for a week in high school and would love to go again, but haven't been able to fit it in later Europe trips.

Sam Magic

Don't know if you've had the chance to visit Spain,but if not make it a point. Amazing sites and history. Went there for a week in high school and would love to go again, but haven't been able to fit it in later Europe trips.
I'll be going with my class next Mardi-Gras...we also make a day trip to Morocco so I'm pumped.
That's one of my to-go-to places in Europe. I'd love to use the history that I've learned into my trips and go to the places, like Cordoba and Granada, that I learned about!
One Cathedral you HAVE to visit is in Seville and it was formerly a Islamic Mosque.

Sam Magic

Ahhhh...I know which Cathedral you're talking about! It was one of our talking points. It was not uncommon for mosques to be switched over to cathedrals after the Catholic Church took seize from the Muslims. Spain is such a culturally rich country with so much historical background behind each architectural artifact!
Really is! The Muslims certainly exchanged the favor in the east after the fall of Rome. Hagia Sophia is the most prominent and while Istanbul was being seized, Catholic mass was being celebrated inside. If I remember correctly from what I read, everyone inside was murdered, but I may be wrong.

My favorite church in Spain is the Sagrada Familia! It's gorgeous, and the architect planned to build a similar hotel where the World Trade Center in NYC is currently, but alas the plans fell through.

Though Spain truly is a rich and beautiful country with so much color and vibrancy. It's a shame it's history is not covered more in school. We have so much to thank the Spaniards for...

Sam Magic

Pretty sure you are more or less correct with that statement.

I haven't been to Europe since I was 7, but the only church I've ever been to in Europe was in Czestochowa in Poland. I heard about those plans before! It would have been great if they didn't fall through. Also, a lot synagogues in NYC actually have Moorish architecture to them...

And, I completely agree. Even in medieval history courses we skipped over Spain, which now irks me because there's just so much there.
Okay good. I just hope I don't offend anyone with false information.

The Czestochowa is a gorgeous church. My favorite churches in Europe would be the Berlin City Cathedral, Basilque du Sacre Cour, St. Pauls, and the Sagrada Familia.

Spain is not the traditional European nation. It is so much more, and I think if we taught children more about Spain during the medieval period we would get a more realistic and bigger image of the era. Most people picture just knights, kings, and peasants, but it was so much more beautiful and complex.

Sam Magic

Lol. You sounded like you visited them and I felt so adequate. I do enjoy those styles as well, although I'm a huge Gothic style person.

It's basically the theory of medieval Spain (from the 700s to the Spanish Inquisition) where the three religions tolerated each other (many historians disagree), but historians who believe in convivencia claim that the recognition of this tolerance can help religions today live alongside each other without turmoil.
When I see the Palace of Westminster I fall in love a little bit more with the world. Another building that is beautiful is the Hungarian Parliament...it's like full on Gothic beauty.

That is actually a very intriguing theory. I'm going to have to really look into that ;). I think I just found my next obsession...haha!

Voxel

President of Progress City
To the History Nerds of the Forum, I get to see L' Hermione tomorrow:
1281357745888552004.jpg

MCParradox

Session 7: Tomorrowland 2055
Concept Creation Challenge

We are getting down to the nitty gritty....And it's time for an exciting individual challenge to create some great concepts! There will not be an SD challenge this session, only the CC. 6 will move on to Session 8.

This challenge requires you to completely refurbish/expand the Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland. Using the provided budget chart below (similar to that of the Omega challenge) and an allotted budget, you must refurbish/replace/create new attractions in this land to A) bring some new life and entertainment to it, and B) give it a more cohesive theme.

To make it a bit more complex, we are adding a small wrinkle to it. Despite @MCParradox no longer being in the competition for personal reasons, he did have the original winning CC proposal, which was a Stitch replacement in Tomorrowland. His concept won because we here at WDI think it would make a great addition to MK, and now you must include it in your New Tomorrowland project. You may not change his concept at all (and remember to give him credit ;)), and because this is a guaranteed attraction, you should try to create your new theme around it.

Budget for Session 7: Tomorrowland 2055

P1100332.jpg

Above you are provided with an aerial shot of Tomorrowland. Here you can see the boundaries that you are working with.

For your budget - the standard budget will be $400 Million Dollars (more on this below).

You may do with that money as you please, but here are some cost values so you all can keep track of how much money you are spending. Please note that these are not true values. Just estimates to keep everyone in the same playing field and to make this a unique challenge.

Note: If you wish you remove an existing attraction (ie tear it down and start over), there will be a "destruction" fee:

Here's the breakdown for how much that would cost per attraction if you wish to completely remove it:

Monster's Inc Laugh Floor - 30 Million
Astro Orbiter - 15 Million
Tomorrowland Transit Authority - 25 Million
Tomorrowland Speedway - 35 Million
Space Mountain - 60 Million
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin - 30 Million
Carousel of Progress - 35 Million

Note: If you wish to refurbish an existing attraction (ie improve it - see WDW Haunted Mansion OR replace the attraction but keep the same ride layout - see Frozen in Maelstrom), there will be a "refurbishment" fee based on the extent of your refurbishment:

Here's the breakdown for refurbishment fees with the key:

Small refurb - minor changes such as a narration change, audio adjustments, adding effects, etc
Medium refurb - solid changes such as enhanced AAs, improved visual effects, new paint job, etc
Large refurb - major changes such as adding scenes, advanced AAs, great overall experience, etc

Monster's Inc Laugh Floor
Small - 30 Million, Medium - 40 Million, Large - 50 Million
Astro Orbiter
Small - 15 Million, Medium - 20 Million, Large - 25 Million
Tomorrowland Transit Authority
Small - 25 Million, Medium - 35 Million, Large - 45 Million
Tomorrowland Speedway
Small - 35 Million, Medium - 45 Million, Large - 55 Million
Space Mountain
Small - 50 Million, Medium - 65 Million, Large - 80 Million
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
Small - 30 Million, Medium - 40 Million, Large - 50 Million
Carousel of Progress
Small -35 Million, Medium - 50 Million, Large - 65 Million

Last Note: Here is a breakdown of the new attraction, shop, eatery costs. This list is taken straight from The Omega Challenge, so the same rules apply.

ATTRACTION COSTS:
Key:
Small - minimal theme, little detail
Medium - well themed, good detail
Large - Very well themed, extensive detail
X-Large - Best themed, extensive detail

Dark Rides:
Small (ex: Pinocchio in DL) - 30 Million
Medium (ex: Peter Pan's Flight) - 45 Million
Large (ex: Haunted Mansion) - 60 Million
X-Large (ex: Mystic Manor) - 90 Million
New Technology in Small/Medium Ride (Ratatouille in DLP) - 80/90 Million
New Technology in Large/X-Large Ride (ex: Harry Potter) - 120/130 Million

Flat Rides:
Small (ex: Dumbo) - 15 Million
Medium (ex: Mater's Jamboree) - 20 Million
Large - 25 Million
X-Large - 30 Million --- I cannot think of any examples right now.

Water Rides:
Small (ex: Swan Boats) - 20 Million
Medium (ex: It's a small world) - 40 Million
Large (ex: Pirates of the Caribbean) - 60 Million
X-Large (ex: Kali River Rapids) - 75 Million

Roller Coasters:
Small (ex: Barnstormer) - 25 Million
Medium (ex: Seven Dwarf Mine Train) - 50 Million
Large (ex: Space Mountain) - 75 Million
X-Large (ex: Expedition Everest) - 100 Million

Misc Thrill Rides:
Tower of Terror - 140 Million
Radiator Springs Racers - 200 Million
Test Track - 300 Million

Simulators:
Medium (ex: Sum of All Thrills) - 40 Million
Large (ex: Star Tours) - 60 Million
X-Large (ex: Mission Space) - 75 Million

Extra Simulators:
3-D Simulator (ex: Star Tours 2) - 60 Million
3-D Ride (ex: Spider-Man) - 75 Million
3-D Dark Ride (ex: Toy Story Mania) - 80 Million
3-D Roller Coaster (Escape from Gringotts) - 100 Million
3-D Show (ex: Muppet Vision) - 40 Million
Motion Simulator ride (ex: Dinosaur) - 60 Million
Motion Simulator show (ex: Soarin') - 60 Million

Shows:
Small (ex: Country Bear Jamboree) - 30 Million
Medium (ex: Hall of Presidents) - 40 Million
Large (ex: Beauty and the Beast) - 50 Million
X-Large (ex: Lights Motors Action) - 60 Million

Walk-Throughs:
Small (ex: Mickey's House) - 10 Million
Medium (ex: A WS pavilion) - 20 Million
Large (ex: Jungle Trek) - 30 Million

Restaurants:
X-Small (ex: Dole Whip Stall) - 5 Million
Small (ex: Quick Service) - 10 Million
Medium (ex: Tony's Town Square) - 20 Million
Large (ex: Beast Castle) - 30 Million

Shops:
Small - 5 Million
Medium - 10 Million
Large - 15 Million

Restrooms:
Small - 5 Million
Medium - 7 Million
Large (ex: Tangled) - 10 Million

Hopefully this will give you enough information in order to make your individual expansion plans!

Now, since Team California won the Session 6 Concept Creation Challenge, as with every CC Challenge winner, they will receive an advantage...

@RMichael21 and @orlando678-, your budget will be the standard $400 Million. However, the members of the winning team in the last CC challenge, @TheOriginalTiki, @jdmdisney99, @DisneyPrincess1993, @tcool, and @Matt7187, will have a larger budget of $500 Million as a reward.

Challenge due Saturday June 13th at 7:00 PM EST. You have no presentation limits in this challenge.

And, just as a last message to contestants, if there's one thing you learned about this competition from this challenge is that just because you move on sessions, it doesn't mean that what you do in the past won't come back around in the end.... We'll leave you with that to ponder ;)

Now I'm really sad I had to drop out, I would have loved to do this round! The attraction I made was always meant to be a part of a new cohesive Tomorrowland, hence my inclusion of the PeopleMover in the design. Nonetheless, I trust you'll all do a good job of incorporating it (you'll have me to deal with if you mess it up! :p), and I'm honoured to have provided part of the project brief! :D

She must not touch the Tommorowland Speedway. ;)

Wow, that's brutal! XD

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom