The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Keep in mind, I know nothing about Puerto Rico and its status ... but, I was chatting for 45 mins in the ToT line in 2013 with a lovely young man and his girlfriend from PR.

He was on leave from the Army. He told me that he is enlisted with the US Army, had been deployed to Iraq, answered to the President as the Commander in Chief (think I got that right), but could not vote for him.

Assuming he was not a liar, liar, pants on fire, I found that odd. Did I understand him correctly?
No that was right. As Gabe said, PR is a republic that is basically, for lack of a better word, owned by the U.S. They have been attempting to become a state now for a number of years, but, do not have the political push to get it to happen.*** However, as a U.S. territory they can join the U.S. military and back in the days of the draft, they got drafted as well. The POTUS is the Commander in Chief of all the U.S. Military so whom ever is in the military has him for a boss and it doesn't matter if you like him, hate him, voted for him or didn't. He is basically the CEO of the country.

When I was in, Nixon was President. Don't think that it didn't upset me just a little to be taking orders from that dude.

*** Besides it would throw off the balance of stars in the flag. I remember how funny it looked back when Alaska first joined the union. Thank god, Hawaii was waiting in the wings to make it an even number again.

I couldn't wait to get my driver's license at 16 it was so much fun to have some freedom. Now though as hubby and I are starting to do more planning about where we want to retire too (even though we are MANY years away from it) we are looking into places that have good public transportation systems so we don't have to drive anywhere!
On my 16th Birthday I was at the DMV, getting my drivers license. Since that time 51 years ago, there has hardly been a day that I didn't drive something somewhere. The only two times that I couldn't were brief periods of them after I joined the Air Force (i.e. Basic training and briefly in Vietnam) and the two months that I was recuperating enough to drive after my leg accident. I even hesitate to think about how many miles I have driven in my lifetime, but, I'll bet it would be impressive.

I was 11 when I drove my uncles jeep around in the field behind his house and his car on the dirt road from the village to his house (with permission) and 12 when I backed a semi out of the garage of a trucking company that my Father managed, drove it around the building and put it back in. (without permission). After that he let me use the pickup with the snowplow to keep the trucking company's yard cleaned out all winter. Back then it just plain couldn't snow enough for me. I think I have changed my opinion on that since then.

I still love a road trip, but, not to the extent that I did when I was younger.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Sorry that happened to you. :(

My DD when T-boned broke her foot we found out later. I had rode my bike to the scene not knowing if she would be able to drive. When it all worked out and the other driver was ticketed I had her get right behind the wheel and drive the vehicle home. I did drive her to work that day but the very next morning I had her get back in the car at dawn and drive to swim team practice the next morning. My fear is she would dwell on it and be afraid to drive again.
Oy. That was awful. I was in a car accident at 17 as well. I'd had my license for six months, and I was on my way to the library to drop my mom's books off (I'm not kidding when I say she had me get my license in part to run her errands; she says yup:hilarious:) It was a hit and run. Guy ran a stop sign, ran into me, and left. Ended up with a flat tire and a lot of damage to the car. That was back before they had gotten the Buicks, so my mom was car-less. She called my dad, who got there before the police, even though I called 911. I had a back sprain and needed PT after that. I still think my back is not right and will never be right again. It was over a month before I drove again (took 3 weeks to get the car back). My mom took me out just to get me comfortable again. I never really dwelled on it though (though I have to say there are times, especially now that that car is mine, that I flash back to that accident).

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yep, Hilton is great. The parks discontinued having a bus to DTD because of this type of use and because day guests were parking at DTD and then heading to a park bypassing paying for gate fee parking. It has been many many years. You now need to go to a resort and transfer to the DTD bus from the resort is what we did. We picked the closest resort to DTD usually POR, OKW or Sarratoga because all three had buses or water ferries.

I tried to get the Hilton for my May trip this year but couldn't get my typical deal. Had to settle for the doubletree suites just down the road a block.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It's completely opposite now. A lot of us still got our licenses ASAP. My bestie and I joke that our mothers had us get ours so we could run their errands (partly true on both counts). But so many waited for whatever reason. A few have said to me, "Ah, well, I just haven't felt like it..." My one friend up until this semester had to get rides from family members to school (again, public transportation is a joke in MD; another reason my parents planned for me to have a car); thankfully she only lives 10 minutes away. Another one of my friends, who is several years older, got hers at 19. One of my friends wasn't allowed to get hers until age 18 (her parents are from New Jersey and her mom once told me she thought the legal driving age should be 18 like it is in New Jersey...right after I said that I had just gotten my license. :rolleyes:) Another got his at 19 after failing 3 times. Another got hers at 20 because she was afraid to drive for a long time. It's rather ironic how many friends I have who are older than me but got their licenses after me

The requirements have gotten so much harder for passing your test. In MD, you first have to pass a written test to get your permit. Then, you have to have 60 hours behind the wheel with a mentor (a parent or someone over the age of 21 licensed for 3+ years), 10 of which must be at night, driver's ed, plus 6 hours behind the wheel with the driver's ed instructor, which does NOT count toward your 60 hours. You have to pass a behind the wheel test with the instructor. And then, at least 9 months after you get your permit, you take a behind the wheel test, which most people fail on the first try. If you pass, you get your provisional license. Everyone is issued a provisional license regardless of age. For the first 6 months after you get your license if you are under 18, no passengers under the age of 18 unless you have a mentor in the car (over 21 and licensed 3+ years). Siblings are allowed regardless of age. Other than that, the penalties are much stricter under a provisional license.

Yikes, the restrictions are really piling up for new drivers. It was nothing like that when I went for my license, although I do live in a different state from yours.

I have to laugh when I think back to my own driving test, at 21. The driving instructor from my driving school took about 8 of us down to the Registry of Motor Vehicles; and one by one, we'd go out on the road test with the officer, while the instructor would sit in the back seat of the car. The day I went, the Registry had accidentally double booked us with another group, so essentially, it meant that the driver's test probably took all of 6 minutes, so that they could fit in everyone! :D

On top of that, we had been assigned this incredibly handsome, 30ish, Registry cop, and I turned into complete mush, with him sitting in the passenger seat next to me. :inlove: (swoon . . .) I was so nervous that I forgot to fasten my seat belt, and he "suggested" I might want to do that . . . Then, I went to put the keys in the ignition to start the car, and I dropped the keys on the floor! :jawdrop: I tried to reach down to get them, but the seat belt was too tight, so I unfastened it and got the keys and started the car. Again, he "suggested" that I might want to put on my seat belt again. (All I remember was mumbling, "I'm sorry, officer," to him, a few times during my road test. :happy: )

Meanwhile, my driving instructor, observing me turn into a blithering imbecile, put on a command performance, trying to engage the officer in small talk, to distract him. ;) In the end, all the officer had me do was drive around a block, making sure I stopped at the stop sign and looked in all directions before moving, and then had me park the car at a curb. (Now, I was about 2 1/2 feet away from the curb, but I parked it . . . :rolleyes: :p) Don't ask me how I ever passed that driving test!! :hilarious: :hilarious:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I saw a red-winged black bird today. Along with blue jays and cardinals, I think these are the most beautiful of the "common" birds seen around here.

Speaking of birds, I listened to the usual Spring negotiations going on outside my bedroom window this morning. Every year there's a bit of a power struggle as to who will take up residence and how many nests will be built in our maple tree.

Some years, it's awful noisy, cackling birds that force me to shut my window regularly.
Some years, it's beautiful melodic birds that greet me with their sweet song every morning.
One year, it was a really aggressive squirrel that refused to share the ample branches with any other species.

Time will tell who wins. I have a clear favourite though.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I never really had an issue with The Hiltons shuttle service. Usually pretty reliable.

But as I recall, didn't it pick up (to return to the hotels) in some odd section of the park's parking lot with no shelter for the people to get out of the sun? Maybe they improved the service in more recent years, but that was why I never took it back to the hotel. It was fine for getting to the parks in the morning, however.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I saw a red-winged black bird today. Along with blue jays and cardinals, I think these are the most beautiful of the "common" birds seen around here.

Speaking of birds, I listened to the usual Spring negotiations going on outside my bedroom window this morning. Every year there's a bit of a power struggle as to who will take up residence and how many nests will be built in our maple tree.

Some years, it's awful noisy, cackling birds that force me to shut my window regularly.
Some years, it's beautiful melodic birds that greet me with their sweet song every morning.
One year, it was a really aggressive squirrel that refused to share the ample branches with any other species.

Red Cardinals are beautiful. Those would be my favorites.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
But as I recall, didn't it pick up (to return to the hotels) in some odd section of the park's parking lot with no shelter for the people to get out of the sun? Maybe they improved the service in more recent years, but that was why I never took it back to the hotel. It was fine for getting to the parks in the morning, however.

Yeah that is still true as of a year ago. Because they can't use the disney transport stops. I guess that never bothered me because I never took the bus back until night. During the day I was always parking hoping using disney transport.

donaldtoo

Graduated licensing.
Start w/a G-1 - learner's permit. 12 months minimum or 8 months, if a full accredited driving course/program is taken. Ministry approved certificate is issued; also results in reduced insurance premiums. Many restrictions.
Written test only.

Next is a G-2 - you can drive on your own, with fewer restrictions. No driving from midnight-5:00 am w/passengers. Must have this licence for a minimum of one year.
Road test required.

Next is G licence - the regular one you will hold for the rest of your driving career.
Another road test is required to get your G.

In all cases, a 0% blood alcohol level is required for the first four years.

My head is spinning... :confused: ;)

Goofyernmost

70 degrees today. The leaves are small but back on the trees and the flowering trees are in full bloom. Ya gotta love this time of year. We had a terrible winter, it was freezing for two or three days and we had that freezing rain storm that left a quarter inch of ice on the roads for about two hours and closed the schools for over a week. All kidding aside it was the coldest winter here since I arrived. Granted that was only 4 years ago, but still. The locals seem to attest to the same thing. But, we are southerners and with that survivors, so, nothing could stop us.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

I have to be on the look out for some Robins, that will tell me for sure that spring has arrived. My mom loved her birds and I remember how happy it made her to see the first robin. She loved the cardinals too.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
70 degrees today. The leaves are small but back on the trees and the flowering trees are in full bloom. Ya gotta love this time of year. We had a terrible winter, it was freezing for two or three days and we had that freezing rain storm that left a quarter inch of ice on the roads for about two hours and closed the schools for over a week. All kidding aside it was the coldest winter here since I arrived. Granted that was only 4 years ago, but still. The locals seem to attest to the same thing. But, we are southerners and with that survivors, so, nothing could stop us.
Plus, I think warmer weather might improve your disposition.
Or not. Time will tell. :hilarious::joyfull:;)

donaldtoo

I didn't get mine until I was 18. I didn't like driving then and I still don't like driving. When I turned 18 I had to start driving though.
I couldn't wait to get my driver's license at 16 it was so much fun to have some freedom. Now though as hubby and I are starting to do more planning about where we want to retire too (even though we are MANY years away from it) we are looking into places that have good public transportation systems so we don't have to drive anywhere!

Even though my commute to and from the office, much of the time, isn't exactly a picnic, I still like to drive.
I'd like it even more if I had somethin' fun to drive for day trips, and just for fun, on weekends...
2015-Chevrolet-CorvetteZ06conv-035-820x420.jpg

:D ;) :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom