The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

Oh yum. Tartar sauce would be good on the side too.
Its all on taste I think, I usually prefer to eat the tortitas with lemon and a giant row of avocado :hungry:

and speaking of good news.. DVC finally confirmed that the place is available..
we're going to be at Old Key West!.

Since my row of good luck as been good so far.. I hope this means I will win the lotto tomorrow ;P

wish me luck lol!

StarWarsGirl

On the plus side, there will be no yucky lunch time desserts, no side of chips/fries, a whole lot more ice water, and a whole lot less wasted food.
That's what we didn't like about the DDP. Too many carpy desserts. I couldn't eat a lot of them because of my allergies, so we'd end up with extra. Even at dinner, there are places where my only option is ice cream (Rose and Crown, Teppan Edo) And it was a lot of food. Plus, we prefer appetizers and frequently will hold off on dessert. Now that it's not offered to us free ever, and since we've got Tables in Wonderland, and my brother, though 13, often prefers the kids' menu, DDP doesn't make sense.

Souvenirs are another matter. For some reason, spending money on something "permanent" doesn't bother me. Witness last year's shopping bonanza! Besides, I want another Dooney & Bourke. Or two.
The only reason it was a food/souvenir combo is because we were both on budgets. I didn't have a card, but I had a budget, and I was keeping track of how much I spent. My dad gave me a budget, and told me to stay under it, or I'd owe him money. I bought a few souvenirs on my own, but stayed under my budget. She had the card so that she could buy things herself and not put it on the room charge and have to owe us later. And that way, she could keep track of her spending and not rack up a bunch of charges on her credit card.

But I know you say it's painful when you spend money on food, so that's why I suggested the card. It's like you paid for the DDP, but you can get what you want instead of being tied to it. And still prepaid. :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I've also stayed at the DTD Hilton (last time was maybe 8 years ago). I liked it. Wanted to comment about your last sentence; I thought that going back to the hotel was also a breeze. Why? Because I never took their Hotel Blvd. shuttle service back; instead, I'd just take a Disney bus to DTD Marketplace, from wherever I was, and that worked out well. I'd then simply cross the street and walk up to the hotel. That was so much faster and efficient than sticking around, waiting for that shuttle. ;)

The prices were also very good at the Hilton, and the rooms were spacious. :)

Yep, Hilton is great. The parks discontinued having a bus to DTD because of this type of use and because day guests were parking at DTD and then heading to a park bypassing paying for gate fee parking. It has been many many years. You now need to go to a resort and transfer to the DTD bus from the resort is what we did. We picked the closest resort to DTD usually POR, OKW or Sarratoga because all three had buses or water ferries.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
In my case, I held off to 21; because when I was 17, I was in a bad car accident (I was a passenger in the front seat). Both of the drivers had been drinking. Of course, I was the only one who was injured and rushed to the local hospital; I received 26 stitches in my head, in addition to other lesser injuries, that night. Took me ages to get over the trauma, and I did everything I could to avoid riding in cars for the longest time. Finally, guided by my mother's gentle persuasion, I went and got my license at 21. Still, even to this day, I drive minimally and only on weekends in early morning hours when not much traffic is on the roads. I'm still not thrilled about being a passenger in cars either.

Sorry that happened to you. :(

My DD when T-boned broke her foot we found out later. I had rode my bike to the scene not knowing if she would be able to drive. When it all worked out and the other driver was ticketed I had her get right behind the wheel and drive the vehicle home. I did drive her to work that day but the very next morning I had her get back in the car at dawn and drive to swim team practice the next morning. My fear is she would dwell on it and be afraid to drive again.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I couldn't wait to get my driver's license at 16 it was so much fun to have some freedom. Now though as hubby and I are starting to do more planning about where we want to retire too (even though we are MANY years away from it) we are looking into places that have good public transportation systems so we don't have to drive anywhere!

Ha! Isn't it funny how people's tastes change over time? You were very much like most of my friends at 16; all of them couldn't wait to get their license. That worked out o.k., because there was always someone around to drive me places! :) Then, at 17, after the car accident, I walked a lot more . . . and took public transit much more, too. I think it's interesting how you and your hubby are viewing public transit in a new light now, for your senior years, after you both have driven yourselves around since your teens. ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yea, back in my day ;) (here in Texas, anyway) Drivers Ed was a class you took in HS, you got your learners permit at 15, your provisional (I believe that's what they called it...?) license at 16, your regular license at 18, and the drinkin' age was still 18.
Of those items, the only things that have changed are Drivers Ed not bein' taught in HS anymore, and the drinkin' age is now 21.

I got my license at 16, but, I had to have a job to pay for the rider on my folks insurance policy before they would cut me loose. So, I had a job already lined up at a local go-cart track for the day I turned 16. :)
I actually learned to drive on my grandparents (both mom and pops folks) farms starting at 13.
By the time I got my learners permit, my folks were plenty comfortable letting me drive the whole family around.
I drove that giant ol' camper a lot of the way with just my learners permit on a trip from Texas to NoCal and back in the summer of '78. Even in the mountains. We took a more northern route that summer and I-80 through CO. was a big part of it. :)

Wow. That's very impressive. :happy: Some people are just "naturals" when it comes to driving (many guys I know fall into that category). I think that's why I love watching NASCAR, because those guys are so talented; I think it's human nature to admire traits that others have, that you wish you had, yourself. :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yeah, that's what I'll do.
It's not that I'm worried about spending money on food, it's just that it hurts me to spend it.
But you're right, if it's already pre-loaded, it will be pre-spent in my mind, and I may be less fretful.

On the plus side, there will be no yucky lunch time desserts, no side of chips/fries, a whole lot more ice water, and a whole lot less wasted food.

Souvenirs are another matter. For some reason, spending money on something "permanent" doesn't bother me. Witness last year's shopping bonanza! Besides, I want another Dooney & Bourke. Or two.

I think you should be a stockholder for Dooney & Burke! I've seen your various purses from them! :D

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Its all on taste I think, I usually prefer to eat the tortitas with lemon and a giant row of avocado :hungry:

and speaking of good news.. DVC finally confirmed that the place is available..
we're going to be at Old Key West!.

Since my row of good luck as been good so far.. I hope this means I will win the lotto tomorrow ;P

wish me luck lol!

If you win the lotto, don't forget all the "little people" here! :happy: :joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yep, Hilton is great. The parks discontinued having a bus to DTD because of this type of use and because day guests were parking at DTD and then heading to a park bypassing paying for gate fee parking. It has been many many years. You now need to go to a resort and transfer to the DTD bus from the resort is what we did. We picked the closest resort to DTD usually POR, OKW or Sarratoga because all three had buses or water ferries.

Yikes. Thank you for that important bit of DTD bus information. That could be a deal-breaker for me in the future, if I was considering staying again at the Hilton DTD. Not sure I'd want to add in even more stops along the way. Dang.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Ha! Isn't it funny how people's tastes change over time? You were very much like most of my friends at 16; all of them couldn't wait to get their license. That worked out o.k., because there was always someone around to drive me places! :) Then, at 17, after the car accident, I walked a lot more . . . and took public transit much more, too. I think it's interesting how you and your hubby are viewing public transit in a new light now, for your senior years, after you both have driven yourselves around since your teens. ;)

Plus we figure it will save money, no car payments or to maintain, no insurance, no gas. We will be buying a transit pass but it should work out cheaper. It is many, many years away though.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Sorry that happened to you. :(

My DD when T-boned broke her foot we found out later. I had rode my bike to the scene not knowing if she would be able to drive. When it all worked out and the other driver was ticketed I had her get right behind the wheel and drive the vehicle home. I did drive her to work that day but the very next morning I had her get back in the car at dawn and drive to swim team practice the next morning. My fear is she would dwell on it and be afraid to drive again.

You had a good point about DD getting right back in the saddle. In my case, I didn't have my license at 17, so that would have been a moot point for me. But, It just made it even more difficult to consider ever getting a license. As mentioned, I didn't get it until 4 years after that. You know something? I like to think of myself as someone who can always bounce back, no matter what. That has been the case many times. However, this car phobia, which started in my late teens, never left me. I have no rational explanation for it; it's not as bad as it used to be, but it's there.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Plus we figure it will save money, no car payments or to maintain, no insurance, no gas. We will be buying a transit pass but it should work out cheaper. It is many, many years away though.

Plus, there are so many rental car options out there now, such as Zipcar. I have friends who live in Boston, and they can't afford a car and the cost of garaging it. So these Zipcars are conveniently located all over the city; you just sign up with their service, and off you go, for a day, a few days, a week, etc. Most of the time, they just use public transit and it all works out fine for them. I like how you're thinking ahead. Always good to have options.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
No, my point was it's not your car. It's your dad's, and he is generous enough to let you drive it. And presumably pay for it, fix it, maintain it, gas it, insure it ....

The day my kid tells me in my car that he's not following a directive I have given, is the day he pulls over immediately, and is walking for the next month.

I adore you, you know that ... but every once in a while you sound just like my kids.

"Anyone is welcome to drive your car ... when you're not in it?"
Sorry Honey, that sounds exactly like something my son would say. And I would say - Ain't your car!

In @StarWarsGirl95 's situation, she has proven herself many times over to be a very responsible person. I think that's why her parents have no issue whatsoever, with her calling one of the family cars "her" car. She also contributes to the upkeep as well, while also being a full-time student.

In your house, you've had to create some serious ground rules, because (in some instances) the boys haven't quite yet matured to the level of StarWarsGirl95. IMO, I think that's maybe what she was trying to say when she mentioned to you, that "it must be different in every household".

Both situations are being handled in a respectful manner, appropriate to the individuals involved, and there is no "one size fits all" here. Rather, each family just does the best they can.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
One reason I refuse to wear shorts is that I hate feeling exposed. I like to wear layers and keep my body covered up. I have the same issue with shoes. I refuse to wear open toe shoes. The other reason I refuse to wear shorts has to do once again with me being hopelessly old-fashioned. Once upon a time boys stopped wearing shorts when they reached a certain level of maturity. I still think this is the way to go. I don't mind other people wearing them, but I don't like them.

Or maybe I'm just weird ;)

We're all weird here! That's why this thread is always so much fun! :p :D

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I also live in an area where you have to drive to get anywhere. Since I was homeschooled from grade 8 up I didn't have to worry about riding the school bus. I have to drive now unfortunately. But if I go somewhere with somebody I let them drive. I like being chauffeured around.:D

When are these driverless cars gonna get here? I'm ready for that.

Driverless cars might be interesting. However, what I'd enjoy even more would be flying around in an aerocar (like a flying saucer) just like George Jetson (in the old cartoon series, The Jetsons). :happy:

StarWarsGirl

Yikes. Thank you for that important bit of DTD bus information. That could be a deal-breaker for me in the future, if I was considering staying again at the Hilton DTD. Not sure I'd want to add in even more stops along the way. Dang.
I agree with the sentiment that many share: If you don't want to stay at a Disney hotel, Swan/Dolphin are the best ones. You can't beat the location. You can walk or take a boat to Epcot AND DHS. You can walk to Fantasia Gardens mini golf. You can walk to Boardwalk. There's great restaurants all around. And there's a rental car place right there if you need it. You also get the EMH benefit. I believe they offer AAA discounts. I know you've said you have that.

StarWarsGirl

Plus, there are so many rental car options out there now, such as Zipcar. I have friends who live in Boston, and they can't afford a car and the cost of garaging it. So these Zipcars are conveniently located all over the city; you just sign up with their service, and off you go, for a day, a few days, a week, etc. Most of the time, they just use public transit and it all works out fine for them. I like how you're thinking ahead. Always good to have options.
One of the college campuses around here that is primarily residential (you are required to live on campus unless you live within a 30 mile radius) has Zip cars on campus. Even though I wouldn't have needed it had I gone there (I would have commuted since I live so close) I thought it was a very nice feature for them to offer. I believe there are quite a few colleges that offer that to students who don't bring their cars with them.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I agree with the sentiment that many share: If you don't want to stay at a Disney hotel, Swan/Dolphin are the best ones. You can't beat the location. You can walk or take a boat to Epcot AND DHS. You can walk to Fantasia Gardens mini golf. You can walk to Boardwalk. There's great restaurants all around. And there's a rental car place right there if you need it. You also get the EMH benefit. I believe they offer AAA discounts. I know you've said you have that.

Absolutely on all counts! :happy: Actually, I think it was when I started staying at the Swan or Dolphin, that I didn't want to go back to the Hilton. I really liked the Hilton, but it was just so much more convenient being right in the middle of Epcot and DHS properties, with a boat right outside that could take you both places in about 20 minutes. The bus service to the other parks wasn't bad either.

StarWarsGirl

Ha! Isn't it funny how people's tastes change over time? You were very much like most of my friends at 16; all of them couldn't wait to get their license. That worked out o.k., because there was always someone around to drive me places! :)
It's completely opposite now. A lot of us still got our licenses ASAP. My bestie and I joke that our mothers had us get ours so we could run their errands (partly true on both counts). But so many waited for whatever reason. A few have said to me, "Ah, well, I just haven't felt like it..." My one friend up until this semester had to get rides from family members to school (again, public transportation is a joke in MD; another reason my parents planned for me to have a car); thankfully she only lives 10 minutes away. Another one of my friends, who is several years older, got hers at 19. One of my friends wasn't allowed to get hers until age 18 (her parents are from New Jersey and her mom once told me she thought the legal driving age should be 18 like it is in New Jersey...right after I said that I had just gotten my license. :rolleyes:) Another got his at 19 after failing 3 times. Another got hers at 20 because she was afraid to drive for a long time. It's rather ironic how many friends I have who are older than me but got their licenses after me

The requirements have gotten so much harder for passing your test. In MD, you first have to pass a written test to get your permit. Then, you have to have 60 hours behind the wheel with a mentor (a parent or someone over the age of 21 licensed for 3+ years), 10 of which must be at night, driver's ed, plus 6 hours behind the wheel with the driver's ed instructor, which does NOT count toward your 60 hours. You have to pass a behind the wheel test with the instructor. And then, at least 9 months after you get your permit, you take a behind the wheel test, which most people fail on the first try. If you pass, you get your provisional license. Everyone is issued a provisional license regardless of age. For the first 6 months after you get your license if you are under 18, no passengers under the age of 18 unless you have a mentor in the car (over 21 and licensed 3+ years). Siblings are allowed regardless of age. Other than that, the penalties are much stricter under a provisional license.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom