The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Just an fyi: the Dolphin has 2 full-sized beds in most rooms (I could never understand that decision in a modern hotel). The Swan has 2 queens or 1 king (I don't think there are any 2 kings, but you could check on that), depending upon what room you select. Since the number of beds is an issue for your group, just keep the above in mind, especially with regard to your husband, who is tall, and may prefer more space.
We need 4 beds - but 3 rooms, as Son #2 and the GF are paying for their own room and will have zero interest in having a third person in their spare bed.

When we used to own a Queen at home, we were able to suck it up and sleep in a Full/Double for holidays.
Now that we've had the luxury of a King for the past two years, there is no way we could take two steps back.

If AS comes we will need 3 separate rooms, or a WBC condo.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I'm the opposite. I hated taking the bus to high school (mainly because we shared a bus with a bunch of obnoxious middle schoolers, but that's another story) and because of where I live, you have to drive to get anywhere. I had my license at 16 and 9 months, slightly late because I didn't start driving until two months after getting my permit. My mother was going to teach me, and she had surgery, and then her mother died, so things were crazy for a bit. But I got my license ASAP just so I wasn't stuck at the house or stuck waiting for rides all of the time. Even so, though, I have a rule: My car, I drive.

My mom and I were going somewhere a few weeks ago. She was in the passenger seat (because my car, I drive). After she had been instructing me the entire way down, when either 1. I was doing what she said or 2. she told me wrong, she tells me to turn in the wrong direction. I correct her, and then say, "Ya know Mom, you taught me how to drive and you taught me very well..." and I was about to say, "I don't really need this much instruction now," but she cuts me off and says, "So I should just shut up and let you do it." Yup, that's one way to put it.:hilarious:
In my house, it's not "your car" unless you bought it, you fully pay the insurance on it, and you 100% pay for gas, oil changes, tires, and maintenance.
Until then, it's MY car, and I am generous enough to let you drive it.

Son #1 had use of our third car (until he crashed it), and still likes to refer to it as HIS car.
I correct him every time saying, "No it was Nana's car, and then it was MINE. It was never YOUR'S".

Son #2 has actually purchased my Dad's old car from my brother. Having no money to fix it yet, and no licence to drive it, it doesn't really count.

donaldtoo

Yea, this one too. :cyclops:

frigilux++11-23-2013-08-37-44.jpg

OK gang, I'm a goner...
Sweet Disney dreams, all...!
See y'alllllll...!!! :)

OK, this post is crackin' me up...!!! :hilarious:
In a follow up to @StarWarsGirl95's ice bag with popcorn in it, I tried to post a pic of an opened can that was labeled with an image of sweet potatoes and said "Sliced Sweet Potatoes in Light Syrup", but, clearly, was filled with cut green beans.
How this image showed up, I have no clue, 'cause it wasn't even in the group of pics I searched, and now I can't find the original pic...!!! :confused: :joyfull: :)

donaldtoo

Technically it is 16 here in Illinois too. But with when they are permitted in school and the behind the wheel time after permit most are 17 unless the parents pay out of pocket for private in that case 16th birthday. I don't get the delay. New is new 16, 17 or 18. I wanted them here where I knew what they were doing. And in my little Hamlet we know what they are doing.

Yea, back in my day ;) (here in Texas, anyway) Drivers Ed was a class you took in HS, you got your learners permit at 15, your provisional (I believe that's what they called it...?) license at 16, your regular license at 18, and the drinkin' age was still 18.
Of those items, the only things that have changed are Drivers Ed not bein' taught in HS anymore, and the drinkin' age is now 21.

I got my license at 16, but, I had to have a job to pay for the rider on my folks insurance policy before they would cut me loose. So, I had a job already lined up at a local go-cart track for the day I turned 16. :)
I actually learned to drive on my grandparents (both mom and pops folks) farms starting at 13.
By the time I got my learners permit, my folks were plenty comfortable letting me drive the whole family around.
I drove that giant ol' camper a lot of the way with just my learners permit on a trip from Texas to NoCal and back in the summer of '78. Even in the mountains. We took a more northern route that summer and I-80 through CO. was a big part of it. :)

StarWarsGirl

In my house, it's not "your car" unless you bought it, you fully pay the insurance on it, and you 100% pay for gas, oil changes, tires, and maintenance.
Until then, it's MY car, and I am generous enough to let you drive it.

Son #1 had use of our third car (until he crashed it), and still likes to refer to it as HIS car.
I correct him every time saying, "No it was Nana's car, and then it was MINE. It was never YOUR'S".

Son #2 has actually purchased my Dad's old car from my brother. Having no money to fix it yet, and no licence to drive it, it doesn't really count.
By definition off whoever pays for all of the cars, Dad owns all 3. But we don't refer to it that way; we refer to it based on whoever is the primary driver. Everyone else is more than welcome to drive my car. When I'm not in it.

Cesar R M

We need 4 beds - but 3 rooms, as Son #2 and the GF are paying for their own room and will have zero interest in having a third person in their spare bed.

When we used to own a Queen at home, we were able to suck it up and sleep in a Full/Double for holidays.
Now that we've had the luxury of a King for the past two years, there is no way we could take two steps back.

If AS comes we will need 3 separate rooms, or a WBC condo.
You cant use an inflatable bed?

Last edited:

Cesar R M

By definition off whoever pays for all of the cars, Dad owns all 3. But we don't refer to it that way; we refer to it based on whoever is the primary driver. Everyone else is more than welcome to drive my car. When I'm not in it.
I think Jennifer's point is to prevent them claiming total ownership of the cars.
Son #1 would later try to claim full ownership and do who knows what.. even if the total ownership is really on Jennifer's side.
Can you imagine if he tried to sell the car?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Has to work differently in every house.

I know better than to do something stupid with the car
No, my point was it's not your car. It's your dad's, and he is generous enough to let you drive it. And presumably pay for it, fix it, maintain it, gas it, insure it ....

The day my kid tells me in my car that he's not following a directive I have given, is the day he pulls over immediately, and is walking for the next month.

I adore you, you know that ... but every once in a while you sound just like my kids.

"Anyone is welcome to drive your car ... when you're not in it?"
Sorry Honey, that sounds exactly like something my son would say. And I would say - Ain't your car!

Cesar R M

Perhaps. I am just thinking.

10 days at WBC is $1800 in High Season.
Park passes - $500 per person.
Food -?

Just thinking.
$1800:eek: for 10 days...

that doesnt sound that bad..
I remember I used to pay almost 2,200 USD for a trip to pittsburgh to a convention there.. and it was for mere 5 days :|
not including food mind you.. (I had to eat cheap in these days)
but then, the airfare alone was at least 800 USD.
rose up a lot when Continental merged with United.

StarWarsGirl

No, my point was it's not your car. It's your dad's, and he is generous enough to let you drive it. And presumably pay for it, fix it, maintain it, gas it, insure it ....
I maintain it. I drive it; I maintain it. If it needs an oil change, I take it in on my day off. If it needs more oil, I add it. If it needs vacuuming, I do it. I clean it, or I pay for it to be cleaned. So I take care of it as if it were mine. If I need help, obviously he'd come help, but for the most part, the old car had so many issues that I learned to take care of it. He refers to it as my car, as does Mom, even if it's not technically mine. Mom also doesn't care if I'm driving; she sometimes naps while I drive.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
$1800:eek: for 10 days...

that doesnt sound that bad..
I remember I used to pay almost 2,200 USD for a trip to pittsburgh to a convention there.. and it was for mere 5 days :|
not including food mind you.. (I had to eat cheap in these days)
but then, the airfare alone was at least 800 USD.
rose up a lot when Continental merged with United.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thinking. Still thinking.

StarWarsGirl

I know you're worried about food spending...

Have you thought about a traveler's card for food? Like putting a certain amount on the card and then spending it accordingly?

My bestie did this for when I took her so she didn't spend too much on food and souvenirs. Ended up working really well. You could even give one to your kids for food so if they separate from you, they can use it.

Cesar R M

As promised!

DSC_0882.jpg

Recipe:

Requirements:
  • 4 big potatoes (standard yellow ones)
  • 2 small tuna cans (water based)
  • 4 spoons of chopped onion(finely)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 spoon of parsley (finely chopped)
  • Salt and pepper to taste.
  • breadcrumps on taste.
First boil the potatoes in hot water with salt until they're soft, let them steam and dry.
Remove the skins then smash them until no big balls are there.

Then press the tuna until they're dry, this is very important or the "tortitas" will fall apart when frying.

Add the tuna to the potatoes and stir until all mixed up.
add the egg (previously scrambled ), the parsley and the onion.

Put a pan with oil (olive preferred) and preheat it.
Add tiny fists of breadcrumps (to make the paste go together) to the paste and fry them in oil until they are browned.
Serve with green salad (onion, lettuce, lemon, fresh avocado slices and maybe italian dressing)

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I know you're worried about food spending...

Have you thought about a traveler's card for food? Like putting a certain amount on the card and then spending it accordingly?

My bestie did this for when I took her so she didn't spend too much on food and souvenirs. Ended up working really well. You could even give one to your kids for food so if they separate from you, they can use it.
Yeah, that's what I'll do.
It's not that I'm worried about spending money on food, it's just that it hurts me to spend it.
But you're right, if it's already pre-loaded, it will be pre-spent in my mind, and I may be less fretful.

On the plus side, there will be no yucky lunch time desserts, no side of chips/fries, a whole lot more ice water, and a whole lot less wasted food.

Souvenirs are another matter. For some reason, spending money on something "permanent" doesn't bother me. Witness last year's shopping bonanza! Besides, I want another Dooney & Bourke. Or two.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
As promised!

View attachment 88764

Recipe:

Requirements:
  • 4 big potatoes (standard yellow ones)
  • 2 small tuna cans (water based)
  • 4 spoons of chopped onion(finely)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 spoon of parsley (finely chopped)
  • Salt and pepper to taste.
  • breadcrumps on taste.
First boil the potatoes in hot water with salt until they're soft, let them steam and dry.
Remove the skins then smash them until no big balls are there.

Then press the tuna until they're dry, this is very important or the "tortitas" will fall apart when frying.

Add the tuna to the potatoes and stir until all mixed up.
add the egg (previously scrambled ), the parsley and the onion.

Put a pan with oil (olive preferred) and preheat it.
Add tiny fists of breadcrumps (to make the paste go together) to the paste and fry them in oil until they are browned.
Serve with green salad (onion, lettuce, lemon, fresh avocado slices and maybe italian dressing)
Oh yum. Tartar sauce would be good on the side too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom