Team Mist: SYWTBAI Season 14, Project Six Open Brainstorming

kmbmw777

So I think a quest genuinely is the best way to pull off a plot. It allows for different acts in different locations without it feeling like the show is super segmented. Use SA as our inciting incident, use the Sandpainter to describe the consequences of the Apprentice's uncontrolled magic, and have Yen Sid send the Apprentice off to hone their magic enough to fix what he/she started.
Who is going on this quest? I would vote Mickey and maybe Donald Goofy Minnie Pluto if we want to add to some nostalgia?

ALso about the songs, is this gonna be a symphony rather than a musical?

TrevorA

In the Parks
Yes
Who is going on this quest? I would vote Mickey and maybe Donald Goofy Minnie Pluto if we want to add to some nostalgia?

Mickey is the one who seems to be the main guy. It might be simpler that way.

Yeah I imagine this to feel more like a symphony than a traditional narrative. The story unfolds in movements, like in a musical composition, more than it does in acts like a play. This is the model that those movies are working inside of.

---TrevorA

mickeyfan5534

I think we should stay away from Mickey. He tends to either overtake or underwhelm in shows he stars in and we might be juggling too many thing if we add in Mickey as our main focus. But that's my 2 cents

Instrumental musical I guess? The music's not going to have any words but there will be some dialogue.

kmbmw777

Mickey is the one who seems to be the main guy. It might be simpler that way.

Yeah I imagine this to feel more like a symphony than a traditional narrative. The story unfolds in movements, like in a musical composition, more than it does in acts like a play. This is the model that those movies are working inside of.

---TrevorA
Sounds like a plan.

kmbmw777

I think we should stay away from Mickey. He tends to either overtake or underwhelm in shows he stars in and we might be juggling too many thing if we add in Mickey as our main focus. But that's my 2 cents

Instrumental musical I guess? The music's not going to have any words but there will be some dialogue.
Then who would u suggest as the individual going on the quest?

mickeyfan5534

Oh wait I thought we were doing the Sorcerers Apprentice at the beginning and then the apprentice does the rest of the show. Sorry, I was misinformed. We can do it any way we want.

---TrevorA
That was what I wanted. SA, leads into the Sandpainter act (whether that be Rite of Spring, Dance of the Hours, or something else) to show the main character what they've done and how his loss of control of magic has messed up the world and the rest of the show is going through different locations to control the magic that escaped and is causing chaos.

kmbmw777

Oh wait I thought we were doing the Sorcerers Apprentice at the beginning and then the apprentice does the rest of the show. Sorry, I was misinformed. We can do it any way we want.

---TrevorA
That was what I wanted. SA, leads into the Sandpainter act (whether that be Rite of Spring, Dance of the Hours, or something else) to show the main character what they've done and how his loss of control of magic has messed up the world and the rest of the show is going through different locations to control the magic that escaped and is causing chaos.
I am going to yield to your judgment as I have not seen Fantasia.

TrevorA

In the Parks
Yes

Ok yeah that's where my confusion came from because the apprentice is Mickey in the movie.

---TrevorA

mickeyfan5534

I've been thinking about acts. For the Sandpainter, I'd like to use one of the music that evokes a picture pieces like Pines of Rome or Rite of Spring. That said, Pines of Rome would be far better as an aerial act.

One thing I really want to do is a Korean Plank or a Russian Swing act.

So I'll write out a basic setlist that'd fill out an hour with some options. We can talk about flow and rearrange and cut as we continue. This is due tomorrow. Does anyone have a good hand for art we can use?
  1. Overture (either Toccata and Fugue in D Minor or Beethoven's 5th)
  2. The Sorcerer's Apprentice (A magic act with Mickey)
  3. Sandpainter (Rite of Spring or Dance of the Hours)
  4. Spanish Webs (Pines of Rome)
  5. Korean Plank + Banquine (Rhapsody in Blue)
  6. PowerTrack (this one could be donated from Cirque) (Carnival of the Animals)
  7. Aerial Silks (The Firebird Suite Pt. 1)
  8. Puppetry (Night on Bald Mountain)
  9. Light (Wo)Man (Ave Maria)
  10. Finale: Trapeze and Silks (The Firebird Suite Pt. 2/The Sorcerer's Apprentice)
Note, this is far from final. If anyone has ideas, feel free to spit them out.

Last edited:

Magic Feather

Man, you miss a few hours...
A bit concerned about including Mickey, but I trust your judgement. What if we blended SA with Sandpainting, and have Yen Sid be the sand painter on his "cauldron"? I like the act list from above, as I can see it working well. I can do the Disney Parks Blog "Design of the theater bit" and maybe one of the trip reports/ reviews?

mickeyfan5534

Man, you miss a few hours...
A bit concerned about including Mickey, but I trust your judgement. What if we blended SA with Sandpainting, and have Yen Sid be the sand painter on his "cauldron"? I like the act list from above, as I can see it working well. I can do the Disney Parks Blog "Design of the theater bit" and maybe one of the trip reports/ reviews?
Sandpainting is really set up for Mickey's/the Apprentice's quest. Maybe we can mix it together with the opening for Yen Sid as like a prologue.
Go ahead with the report and DPB.

Magic Feather

Sandpainting is really set up for Mickey's/the Apprentice's quest. Maybe we can mix it together with the opening for Yen Sid as like a prologue.
Go ahead with the report and DPB.
Ok great! Does anyone have an ideas for the theater name? Initial thoughts included The Griffith Theater, Sunset Theater, Disney Theater, Vista Theater...

mickeyfan5534

I assumed we were keeping Theatre of the Stars. If that's changing, Something like Ashman Theatre or Menken Theatre would be a nice shout out to the fact BatB played there for 20 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom